Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eXXon posted:

There's an article in the Star about Bombardier recalling most of the new TTC streetcars to fix welding defects but I didn't click it because the headline seems sufficient.

"Not only can we not make parts to spec, we also can't weld"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The defect is that the welds weren't strong enough to hold the thing together when a bunch of guys with hammers had to beat it into the proper dimensions.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flakeloaf posted:

The defect is that the welds weren't strong enough to hold the thing together when a bunch of guys with hammers had to beat it into the proper dimensions.

drat dwarves don't even know their own strength.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Warren Kinsella is super spiced about the kokanee grope

I don't follow how this would be considered a criminal offence. The cbc news article quotes one of the people working at the paper where it was published:

Bourne told CBC News that the reporter was interviewing Trudeau when he touched her. "It was a brief touch," said Bourne.

"I would not classify it or qualify it as sexual assault."

Which likely means it was something stupid like put his hand on her knee. Which we can all agree is not at all an okay thing to do, but I don't think it's against the law?

This coupled with the fact that CBC found and contacted the writer of the editorial who has literally said they don't want to talk about it or ever be contacted about it again... Was Trudeau wrong to do whatever it was? Yup, definitely. Does he have a pattern of doing this? Probably not, at least from what we've seen. Has he done a good job of promoting women's issues in general? Seems to be.

I'm not a Trudeau fan but this seems like a mountain out of a molehill.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 4, 2018

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

I still wouldn't feel an ounce of sadness even if I had a loving clue what the "Bruno Cherry Festival" was.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

InfiniteZero posted:

I still wouldn't feel an ounce of sadness even if I had a loving clue what the "Bruno Cherry Festival" was.

It's actually pretty simple if you know what basic words mean!

It's a "festival" (celebration) for "Bruno's" (Bruce Willis') "cherry" (virginity).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TrueChaos posted:

I don't follow how this would be considered a criminal offence. The cbc news article quotes one of the people working at the paper where it was published:

Bourne told CBC News that the reporter was interviewing Trudeau when he touched her. "It was a brief touch," said Bourne.

Which likely means it was something stupid like put his hand on her knee. Which we can all agree is not at all an okay thing to do, but I don't think it's against the law?

This coupled with the fact that CBC found and contacted the writer of the editorial who has literally said they don't want to talk about it or ever be contacted about it again... Was Trudeau wrong to do whatever it was? Yup, definitely. Does he have a pattern of doing this? Probably not, at least from what we've seen. Has he done a good job of promotioning women's issues in general? Seems to be.

It's because Postmedia and the Cons desperately want to make this a thing, and they will just keep loving hammering at it until it resembles a thing, because apparently they have absolutely nothing else to go after Trudeau with. Probably on account of him being the most successful Conservative Prime Minister in 30 years.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

flakeloaf posted:

My favourite detail is that they say these defects originated in a factory in Mexico so whatever bullshit make work excuse we might invoke about jobs doesn't even really apply, though I'm sure somesenior managers got big bonuses plying the right government officials with booze, hockey tickets and call girls.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm Doug Ford and I'm suspending OHIP until we can do a thorough line by line breakdown to make sure it's protecting Ontarians.

I honestly see that being next.

And the boomers will still vote 80% conservative as they shamble along on their stubby and missing limbs because they cant afford to treat their diabetes.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

I honestly see that being next.

And the boomers will still vote 80% conservative as they shamble along on their stubby and missing limbs because they cant afford to treat their diabetes.

Long as they have tall frosty cans of Laker to make it worse.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

This coupled with the fact that CBC found and contacted the writer of the editorial who has literally said they don't want to talk about it or ever be contacted about it again... Was Trudeau wrong to do whatever it was? Yup, definitely. Does he have a pattern of doing this? Probably not, at least from what we've seen. Has he done a good job of promotioning women's issues in general? Seems to be.

I honestly think at this point the real story is how bad Trudeau's comms strategy has been. Obviously no journalist can say that openly but I'm seeing papers across the spectrum (insofar as a country where the Toronto Star represents the limits of left liberal discourse even has a spectrum) and even internationally reporting this because i think journos who previously built the Prime Minister up are now annoyed by Truedeau and like to see him getting taken down a notch, especially in an area that is supposed to play to his strengths. The fact he has resorted to such an unconvincing and poorly used "I do not recall" line of defense probably just encourages journalists to pile on.

And in fairness a guy like Truedeau who used zero tolerance policies within his own caucus as a way to build his feminist bona fide (all the better to sell weapons to Saudi Arabia with) deserves the extra scrutiny.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Helsing posted:

My favourite detail is that they say these defects originated in a factory in Mexico so whatever bullshit make work excuse we might invoke about jobs doesn't even really apply, though I'm sure somesenior managers got big bonuses plying the right government officials with booze, hockey tickets and call girls.

But they're being fixed in Quebec, so everybody wins.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I hope the armoured personnel carriers we sold to the Saudis also turn out to have welding defects

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Presumably General Dynamics knows how to manufacture their way out of a wet paper bag.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Helsing posted:

I hope the armoured personnel carriers we sold to the Saudis also turn out to have welding defects

Don't worry. The arc welding of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ottawa Citizen journalist asks: did all police oversight in Ontario just get eliminated? Possibly unintentionally?

https://twitter.com/davidreevely/status/1014550654038102016
https://twitter.com/davidreevely/status/1014550911014690816
https://twitter.com/davidreevely/status/1014551631394828288
https://twitter.com/davidreevely/status/1014552310201004033

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I would not put it past the PCs to intentionally remove police oversight.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Makes you wonder what he'll accidentally eliminate next.

Breathable air? drinkable water?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Conservatives have never cared for police oversight, so of course this was intentional.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I promise there will never be another embarrassment like the investigation into the G20

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm Doug Ford and I've suspended the Charter of Rights until we can do a line by line audit to make sure it protects Ontarians and puts more tax money back into the people's pockets.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

infernal machines posted:

Presumably General Dynamics knows how to manufacture their way out of a wet paper bag.

They do and they don't. More composites are coming but a lot of the old guard fall back to "gently caress it, weld it, and ship it" steel mentality. Which then leads to fitment issues.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm Doug Ford and I've suspended the Charter of Rights until we can do a line by line audit to make sure it protects Ontarians and puts more tax money back into the people's pockets.

Every time something like this is posted I laugh.

To make sure people aren't taking advantage of the health care system we've repealed it in order to make sure the taxpaying people get their moneys worth.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

loving state of the CPC. these people are unhinged

https://twitter.com/lraitt/status/1014305262352470017
https://twitter.com/MichelleRempel/status/1014348730428940289
https://twitter.com/MichelleRempel/status/1014531493941600257
https://twitter.com/MichelleRempel/status/1014532998245462016

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 4, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I like Michelle Rempel, she's a gem

https://twitter.com/MichelleRempel/status/1014569585930952704

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Not surprised a conservative feminist can't spell "hypocrisy".

Or did she actually mean "rule by hypocrites"?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

hur de hurr. good one michelle. "peoplekind" amirite? i love how our official opposition spends 95% of their time on hot takes, personal attacks on the PM and angry boomer culture war bullshit

like & share if you're a proud canadian who doesn't apologize

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

THC posted:

hur de hurr. good one michelle. "peoplekind" amirite? i love how our official opposition spends 95% of their time on hot takes, personal attacks on the PM and angry boomer culture war bullshit

like & share if you're a proud canadian who doesn't apologize

You know, its the exact same in the US and opposition to Trump. Even though he does way worse poo poo, people still spend all their time one-upping each other to see who has the sickest burn of the hour.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Count Roland posted:

You know, its the exact same in the US and opposition to Trump. Even though he does way worse poo poo, people still spend all their time one-upping each other to see who has the sickest burn of the hour.

Laying sick burns on Trump owns though?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/1014609588841136128

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
CPC, the pipeline party, 0 pipelines built since 2008

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fire all Conservatives into the sun.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/07/04/doug-ford-halts-introduction-of-additional-anti-vaping-rules-for-more-study.html

quote:

Premier Doug Ford has halted new anti-vaping rules so his fledgling Progressive Conservative government can get a handle on the impact of health measures that have affected medical cannabis users.

“The changes to the Smoke Free Ontario Act that were set to come into effect on July 1 … are being paused to give the new government the opportunity to carefully review the new regulations related to vaping,” Ford’s spokesman Simon Jefferies said Wednesday.

Jefferies said the move will allow the new government to “work with the public, experts, and businesses to re-examine the evidence related to vaping as a smoking-cessation tool to ensure that any changes are in the best interests of everyone and protect Ontarians’ health and safety.”

“The current provisions in the Smoke Free Ontario Act and the Electronic Cigarettes Act remain in effect and will continue to be enforced,” he said.

[...]

"Protecting Ontarians" and "line-by-line"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

Fire all Conservatives into the sun.

They are of no value, the only difference between them the degree of harm they wish to do to others

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Scheer's face staring at me from the banner image

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

All the political theatre in this is just frustrating. They don't care about any of these policies, the only reason they're doing any of it is to make the implication that the Liberals couldn't POSSIBLY have done the diligence on them, only the Conservatives can be trusted to run the numbers (before running up a massive deficit because they don't actually care about any of those numbers).

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Government of the people folks!

Didn't know StubHub was a big PC doner.

Comments section highly recommended.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
hahaha here we go. Ford just fired a bunch of peeps including the chief scientist:

quote:

Premier Doug Ford has quietly fired Ontario’s chief investment officer, chief scientist, and removed Ed Clark as the premier’s business adviser in a post-election purge.

Sources told the Star that Ford’s newly elected Progressive Conservative government ended Allan O’Dette’s brief tenure as the province’s first chief investment officer at cabinet on Friday.

O’Dette, former president and CEO of the Ontario Chamber of Commerce, had been appointed by former Liberal premier Kathleen Wynne in March 2017 to lead the Ontario Investment Office.

Also gone is chief scientist Molly Shoichet, a prominent University of Toronto professor named to her post last November by Wynne.

“The chief scientist was removed from her position. We will undergo a process of finding a suitable and qualified replacement,” Ford’s spokesman Simon Jefferies said Wednesday.

A spokesman for the renamed Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade confirmed O’Dette’s last day was Tuesday.

But the most prominent departure approved by cabinet was Clark, who had been Wynne’s business adviser and privatization czar since June 2015.

The former president and CEO of TD Bank, who was appointed chair of the Liquor Control Board of Ontario in January, was an instrumental player in the Liberal government.

Clark was a key proponent of the sale of the province’s majority stake in its Hydro One transmission utility as well as the architect of Ontario’s historic expansion of beer and wine sales into 450 supermarkets.

He also was a top booster of bringing Amazon’s HQ2 bid to the province and served as Wynne’s adviser on preserving jobs in the Ontario steel industry.

Ford had promised during the June 7 election campaign that “not one” public-sector job would be cut if he took office.

“I want to assure our public sector workers, our nurses, our teachers and our doctors, that no one — and I repeat no one — will lose their job,” he assured Ontarians the day before the election.

However, such changes are routine when a new government takes office, though it is not clear who, if anyone, will be selected to replace the three Liberal appointees.

NDP MPP Peter Tabuns (Toronto-Danforth) was especially concerned about the signal Ford is sending by firing the chief scientist and rejigging government departments.

“The revelation that Doug Ford has fired Ontario’s chief scientist, coming on the heels of his announcement last week that he will scrap the ministry of research, innovation and science begs the question of whether or not Mr. Ford will run a government that believes in the value of science and scientific research,” said Tabuns.

“The people of Ontario deserve to know why this decision was made and why it was done in secret. Ontario families deserve to know what Doug Ford will cut next.”

Ford will meet with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at Queen’s Park on Thursday where the new premier is expected to discuss his decision to remove Ontario from its environmental cap-and-trade alliance with Quebec and California.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/07/04/doug-ford-fires-privatization-czar-chief-investment-officer-chief-scientist.html

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
can't wait for doug ford's government to somehow outspend the liberals while cutting taxes and the ensuing rationalization by the doug ford Defenders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Under ford nation we have the lowest program spending per capita, woo