Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
For the record, the top-grossing Civil War movies according to IMDB (As near as I can tell) are:

Gone with the Wind (Gross: $198.68M)
Dances with Wolves (Gross: $184.21M)
Lincoln (Gross: $182.21M)
Cold Mountain (Gross: $95.64M)
Gangs of New York (Gross: $77.81M)
How the West was Won (Gross: $46.50M)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Gross: $37.52M)
The Outlaw Josey Wales (Gross: $31.80M)
Glory (Gross: $26.83M)
Free State of Jones (Gross: $20.76M)
Gods and Generals (Gross: $12.87M)
Gettysburg (Gross: $10.77M)
The Birth of a Nation (Gross: $10.00M)

there's probably a few others that I'm missing but that kinda gives you the gist of it.

E:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Maybe you're reading in to the Firefly thing a little too much

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Guillotine that bird

This was this senior prank at my high school. Someone cut the head off a chicken and let it loose in the cafeteria during a lunch period.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

maffew buildings posted:

It's a space Western, so there is a space Union and a space Confederacy.

I think it's more of an homage to Westerns than a nod to the Confederacy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

Firefly was blatantly patterned after the Westerns which depict heroic former Confederates finding a new life in the frontier.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Wonder what was the equivalent of Space Slavery for the Firefly CSA

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

In Firefly it actually was States' (Planets') Rights that the rebels fought for.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

Firefly was blatantly patterned after the Westerns which depict heroic former Confederates finding a new life in the frontier.

What lead me to the article in the first place was thinking about John Ford's Cavalry trilogy and why he seemed so intent on sucking the Confederacy's cock in those movies.

Rio Grande 1950 posted:

At the ceremony, Trooper Tyree is given a furlough to continue his run from the law when one of the Texas marshals reappears, stealing General Sheridan's horse for the purpose. As the troops pass in review (with the regimental band playing Dixie at the General's request to please Mrs. Yorke), the movie closes.

And, in a more recent series, Hell on Wheels is about "the story focused on Cullen Bohannon (Mount), a former Confederate soldier who, while working as foreman and chief engineer on the railroad, initially attempted to track down the Union soldiers who murdered his wife and young son during the American Civil War. "

So this Lost Cause stuff isn't done yet. My favorite recent movie about the antebellum South is Django Unchained.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

In honor of America and the fact that I found a deer tick on me yesterday, have an article about how ticks are rapidly taking over the US more quickly than ebola-infected MS-13 terrorists:

https://www.wired.com/story/we-have-no-idea-how-bad-the-us-tick-problem-is/

quote:

Around the world, diseases spread by ticks are on the rise. Reported cases of Lyme, the most common US tick-borne illness, have quadrupled since the 1990s. Other life-threatening infections like anaplasmosis, babesiosis, and Rocky Mountain spotted fever are increasing in incidence even more quickly than Lyme. Meat allergies caused by tick bites have skyrocketed from a few dozen a decade ago to more than 5,000 in the US alone, according to experts. And new tick-borne pathogens are emerging at a troubling clip; since 2004, seven new viruses and bugs transmitted through tick bite have shown up in humans in the US.

My friend's girlfriend has the meat allergy thing after getting bitten by a Lone Star tick. She's a vegan, so the meat part is kind of a moot point, but it provoked a number of other allergic reactions as well.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Stultus Maximus posted:

Sure but that just means Whedon stole a style he liked blended it with Cowboy Bebop and ran with it. Assuming that idiot thought any deeper about where those Western tropes came from is really stretching it.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

psydude posted:

In honor of America and the fact that I found a deer tick on me yesterday, have an article about how ticks are rapidly taking over the US more quickly than ebola-infected MS-13 terrorists:

https://www.wired.com/story/we-have-no-idea-how-bad-the-us-tick-problem-is/

My friend's girlfriend has the meat allergy thing after getting bitten by a Lone Star tick. She's a vegan, so the meat part is kind of a moot point, but it provoked a number of other allergic reactions as well.

Really good podcast on that allergy here

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/alpha-gal/

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Is everyone forgetting Hateful 8? That was a civil war movie, and it definitely spent some time hating on confederates.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Also the time-honored drama, Wild Wild West.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

RFC2324 posted:

Is everyone forgetting Hateful 8? That was a civil war movie, and it definitely spent some time hating on confederates.

So Tarantino vs the South?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I feel bad for Bush Sr. I don’t know what the gently caress I’d do if my wife somehow passed away before me.

I am seriously amazed that he's still alive after that.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:yikes:

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-asked-aides-why-we-cant-just-invade-venezuela-d49701fe6dc9/amp/

quote:

Last August, Trump was finishing off a meeting in the Oval Office to discuss new sanctions against Venezuela. At the end of the talks, Trump shocked aides and senior administration officials by bluntly asking why can’t the U.S. just invade the country.

In an exchange that lasted about five minutes, National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson — who were both stunned by the suggestion — pushed back against the idea, according to the Associated Press. They explained that military action would likely alienate Latin American governments who were working together to punish and ostracize Venezuelan dictator Nicolas Maduro.

But Trump’s obsession with invading Venezuela didn’t end there. He also raised the issue with Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos, according to two high-ranking Colombian officials who spoke to the AP under the condition of anonymity.

Then, in September, he discussed the issue again with Mr. Santos and three other Latin American leaders at a private dinner after the U.N. General Assembly. “My staff told me not to say this,” Trump said, before going around the table asking Latin American leaders if they were all sure that the U.S. shouldn’t invade. All said they were.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 4, 2018

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

lightpole posted:

So Tarantino vs the South?

His entire career is a pathological need to say slurs, backdrop is secondary

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1014556658582933504

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

maffew buildings posted:

His entire career is a pathological need to say slurs, backdrop is secondary

it was the perfect backdrop for it. I don't think a single character didn't use a slur at least once.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's more calories than I take in all week, even eating junk and fast food.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Django did a pretty good job dunking on the south.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Sure but that just means Whedon stole a style he liked blended it with Cowboy Bebop and ran with it. Assuming that idiot thought any deeper about where those Western tropes came from is really stretching it.

He doesn't need to have thought about it for it to be part of what the show tells the audience. That's just how semiotics do. He lives in a society which taught him that "sexy rebel cowboy fighting against stodgy industrials" was an a-ok subject for a popular TV show. That he didn't question that is evidence of how normalized it is.

But Outlaw Josey Wales, with it's confederate hero and villains literally in US army uniforms, is probably the biggest example. My dad loves that movie.

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah, but it definitely did not uncritically portray loyalists as the good guys. Jackson's character is a nihilistic sadist, and trying not to spoil it, but: the loving Lincoln letter, omg.

It's not a perfect movie but I still love it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Doc Hawkins posted:

Jackson's character is a nihilistic sadist,

Oh, there were no good guys in that, but it was definitely WAY more critical of the confederacy than the union.

And the letter, to me, just goes to show how hard it was/is for a black man to succeed.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

RFC2324 posted:

Oh, there were no good guys in that, but it was definitely WAY more critical of the confederacy than the union.

And the letter, to me, just goes to show how hard it was/is for a black man to succeed.

Yes, because of how many people are not as free from racism as they think they are, and how butthurt they get when this is pointed out to them. That's the "both sides" aspect, and there's obviously a sympathetic (?!) confederate in the story, but you might be right that on the whole it's harder on the traitors.

I mean, you'd hope. You'd hope that'd be the default of any movies made today and set in the time, to be ever slightly more critical of the literal treasonous slavers, but here we are. I hope Tarantino becomes the new Ford and keeps pumping out westerns forever to balance them out.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

#FreeKobayashi

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Flikken posted:

It's a space Western, so there is a space Union and a space Confederacy.

I think it's more of an homage to Westerns than a nod to the Confederacy.

And yet the Cowboy Bebop fans were never so annoying

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The Dog Who Played Duke In The Bush's Baked Beans Ads Has Died
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2444880/the-dog-who-played-duke-in-the-bushs-baked-beans-ads-has-died

gently caress 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

M_Gargantua posted:

Django did a pretty good job dunking on the south.

Southern people hate QT with a violent passion

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I like QT's views on nazis/confederates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utUZNsHjOyQ

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

Counterpoint: I watched Django in a roughly 80%+ black audience in Jacksonville, FL, and it got a lot of love!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mlmp08 posted:

Counterpoint: I watched Django in a roughly 80%+ black audience in Jacksonville, FL, and it got a lot of love!

I've met very few people who weren't white who considered themselves southern, just sayin

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/skymarkwhite/status/1014612708845596675

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

RFC2324 posted:

I've met very few people who weren't white who considered themselves southern, just sayin

I've met plenty, but I also lived in Louisiana for a while and my dad, while white, has been tied into a lot of black musicians and so on in Louisiana for his entire life. It helps that he's both a musician and a public defender, so he's not one to be rabidly racist.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/NBCNewYork/status/1014602862616301568

https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1014610280519626752

The current feed is basically someone lying down on the actual statue's base, so it's sorta boring. I could see it going wrong in a hurry though!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

mlmp08 posted:

I've met plenty, but I also lived in Louisiana for a while and my dad, while white, has been tied into a lot of black musicians and so on in Louisiana for his entire life. It helps that he's both a musician and a public defender, so he's not one to be rabidly racist.

I found it often the white people who wanted to categorize people by color and most black people I find accept that they are southern or texan or whatever. I've only really lived in south carolina and texas though.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The chief of Scotland Yard posted:

“I do want to reassure the public, however, that there is no evidence that either the man or woman recently visited any of the sites that were decontaminated following the attempted murders of Sergei and Yulia Skripal.”

That is literally the opposite of reassuring. How is this not casus belli?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Quentin Tarantino presents:
Sherman: March To The Sea

Starting Michael Fassbender as General Sherman, and Nick Offerman as Ulysses S. Grant.

Summer 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BigDave posted:

Starting Michael Fassbender as General Sherman, and Nick Offerman as Ulysses S. Grant.

Summer 2020

Thatd be rad

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

BigDave posted:

Summer 2020

Don't tease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

SimonCat posted:

What lead me to the article in the first place was thinking about John Ford's Cavalry trilogy and why he seemed so intent on sucking the Confederacy's cock in those movies.

And, in a more recent series, Hell on Wheels is about "the story focused on Cullen Bohannon (Mount), a former Confederate soldier who, while working as foreman and chief engineer on the railroad, initially attempted to track down the Union soldiers who murdered his wife and young son during the American Civil War. "

So this Lost Cause stuff isn't done yet. My favorite recent movie about the antebellum South is Django Unchained.

It is a really good series that Hell on Wheels

• Locked thread