Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Well I thought I had heard somewhere that greyhounds have a strong chase instinct, particularly if they were former racers, and I am glad to be wrong if that means tiny girlfriend can also walk dog without turning into a kite.

Peristalsis posted:

I think you should probably wait until you have the kid, and then see if you still want the extra responsibility of a dog. That will also let you test the dog with your actual, specific kid, instead of depending on the rescue to determine if the dog is generically kid-friendly. The greyhounds I've walked have never been a threat to pull away from their walker or knock anyone over, and I think it's unlikely that your girlfriend will have a problem walking a greyhound, unless she has some disability or something. That said, if the real issue is that your gf isn't really on board with the whole dog-ownership thing, I'd hold off until/unless she comes around. It sucks to be the only caretaker for the dog, and to feel like asking for some help with the walks or feedings is some sort of imposition. (E.g. what are your plans for the dog if/when you have to take business trips?) And it's not fair to put the dog in a position where one of its owners doesn't really want it around, or might one day insist that the dog should go.
We're both very careful about biting off more than we can chew; our plans were already to wait until after kid to find dog. Girlfriend is more inclined towards smaller dogs, but she does want a dog, so there might need to be compromise or she might come around on superior large dog breeds. I've talked to her some about greyhounds specifically and she doesn't sound particularly opposed but I think she's going to have to meet one to dispel big dog fears. Both our parents live relatively close and my mom loves having extra dogs around the house, only potential issue would be if the dog isn't well socialized to other dogs or doesn't like being flown to stay with parents. As far as long term member of the family goes, I won't be adopting a dog if girlfriend isn't totally behind it as well.

Peristalsis posted:

I apologize if I'm reading too much into your post - something about it just seemed to me like maybe the dog would be your project, rather than a uniformly-loved member of the whole family.
No offense taken, I was honestly expecting people to say a greyhound was out of the question, and it doesn't sound that's the case. Still going to do research and check with local groups, but I'm feeling more optimistic about being able to take care of a greyhound.

actionjackson posted:

My greyhound group at least would not adopt if you had a very young child. Like under 3.
Because of prey drive or small children being antagonistic?

E:For some content, family has gone back and forth on whether Magpie was a greyhound mix or not. She's a spitting image of another breed called a Mallorcan Shepherd, but it seems unlikely to find an obscure European breed in the middle of the US. Couldn't find a good profile shot but found a couple that kind of display her greyhound features.

It's kind of hard to get an idea of her proportions because apparently we don't have any pictures of her standing stationary but she has greyhoundish long lanky legs, deep chest and thin waist.

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I would guess it's a combination of those two things not meshing well.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Greyhound Time Lapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB9lfradrJs&t=8s

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Should be in the OP imo

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

The true face of an existential crisis.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
The face of ennui

The butt of ennui

Shoozy
Apr 11, 2007

Radiation Cow posted:

The true face of an existential crisis.

What is that red thing? It doesn’t look like a martingale collar.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

It's a martingale collar, just made with merino wool and ostrich leather. Finding a good wide commercial collar in South Africa is hard, it's much easier to get a custom one made.

Plate
Jul 5, 2006
Love for the rest of us
Fallen Rib
Thought I'd get round to posting some pics of my greyt buddy, since this thread was a big motivator for me adopting a grey in the first place. I went and picked up this guy from Spalding, UK on New Year's Eve, so he's been with us a little under 6 months now and things are going pretty swimmingly (with the odd moment of hands in the air in disbelief of course, he's gotta keep us on our toes). Driving a greyhound home in the boot of my car for the first time was a surreal experience I'll not soon forget. One question I do want to ask while I'm here: the idea keeps nagging at my brain to get him a companion, but the space we have to work with is already a little limited and Zeph follows us around the downstairs of our house quite a bit, so a second grey feels like we don't have the space (especially when you consider how much real estate they take up when lying down and stretching right out). Does anyone have a grey and a small breed (like toy dog size)? Zeph has got on with every breed he's met at the daycare socials I've taken him to, so I don't have any concerns in that respect, I just wondered if anyone has seen a good relationship develop between a grey and a much smaller dog, or whether it's not a good idea due to the possibility they can cause harm just by being clumsy.

Zephyr enacting the 5 second rule while I was grabbing a coffee while we were staying with my husband's parents in Scotland (hence husband's smug face).

Butter wouldn't melt. I now know that he quite often rearranges the sofa cushions during the day, and the dog walker actually puts them straight again at lunchtime.

Herp.

Zeph's first booboo. He tore a centimetre of skin loose from his large paw pad on that foot while chasing with a slightly younger grey at a doggy daycare social evening recently, so he had to wear a bandage for a bit to let it heal (I quickly learned a sock was necessary to stop him licking the bandage off).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
What a happy doof :3: Zephyr looks quite the handsome fellow, and a great name too!

Cookie is half the size of Spartacus, and I don’t know how much smaller I’d want to go - maybe beagle sized? - before I’d start worrying the size disparity would start getting dangerous.

Sparty is chill around our cat Gus, but cats can also go jump and hide places if they feel like getting away which a smaller dog like a chihuahua might not be able to. There’s always the risk of their prey drive triggering too; it’s one thing if you already had a small pet and the dog was tested as small creature safe, and another if you bring a small animal home later.

Overall I’d say it’s worth investigating, but extremely cautiously. Also if Sparty is any indication your grey will still Velcro to you, and now you’ll have another dog to steal your spot on the couch/chair/bed :ninja:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Zephyr is a really, really pretty dog. He looks so happy about having a sock on his foot. :3:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

post zeph t-rexing tia

Plate
Jul 5, 2006
Love for the rest of us
Fallen Rib

DarkHorse posted:

What a happy doof :3: Zephyr looks quite the handsome fellow, and a great name too!

Cookie is half the size of Spartacus, and I don’t know how much smaller I’d want to go - maybe beagle sized? - before I’d start worrying the size disparity would start getting dangerous.

Sparty is chill around our cat Gus, but cats can also go jump and hide places if they feel like getting away which a smaller dog like a chihuahua might not be able to. There’s always the risk of their prey drive triggering too; it’s one thing if you already had a small pet and the dog was tested as small creature safe, and another if you bring a small animal home later.

Overall I’d say it’s worth investigating, but extremely cautiously. Also if Sparty is any indication your grey will still Velcro to you, and now you’ll have another dog to steal your spot on the couch/chair/bed :ninja:
He really is a super chipper fellow. Everyday is full of grins.

I should have mentioned for context, Zeph has very low prey drive, I asked for that specifically from the rescue as we have two cats. It's worked out fairly well thus far; they're not buddies, but there's a status quo that has developed where the more gregarious tuxedo cat will come downstairs to watch the humans for potential food scraps, and doggo will basically ignore him unless he accidentally wanders too close, at which point Trogdor (yes, that's the cat's name) hisses and moves under something nearby. Zeph seems to react as you'd hope when this happens and looked chagrined and moves away. The only time he shows too much interest is if the cat hisses him away, then turns and runs up the stairs, at which point the dog chases (but we have a pet gate up). He never approaches the cat unless this happens, and we don't let them outside together. Cat number 2 is a layabout who basically has the upstairs of the house as her personal kitty palace, which is just as well as she has a heart murmur.

In terms of smaller dogs when we've gone to large group play sessions at the local daycares, he has occassionally started to take things too far when chasing smaller dogs, but one time it happened when around 3 labs were chasing a small cockapoo and the pack started it (everyone converged to pull their dogs apart before it got ugly, no one was hurt), and another time he got into a proper chase with a miniature poodle, who kept the chase going long enough that Zeph started getting too into it. I grabbed him and calmed him down. I'm leaving his harness on when we go to group sessions as it has a convenient handle on the back to grab.

He also doesn't look at other small dogs encountered on walks as dinner thankfully (although quite a few in our area yap at him on sight of course). He will start and try to follow things like squirrels that dart out in front of him, but thus far things like a cat sat outside a door, or a deer wandering out of the bushes ahead of us on a walk just elicits ears pricked up and standing at attention rather than dragging me off my feet.

jesus WEP posted:

post zeph t-rexing tia
That's possibly the one pose I don't currently have photos of, but challenge accepted.

Edit: I was wrong!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:bisonyes:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Everyone be careful with your hounds given the holiday. Even if you think it’s safe it might not be :ohdear:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

drat, that's so sad :smith:

I've been pretty lucky in that Abby doesn't give two fucks about fireworks.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
That's awful news! I feel so sorry for that poor doggo and family - none of them are going to be having a fun time, during the next month or so. :smith:

(Thankfully Tazo is kinda like Abby, really. Although he does look around slightly nervously when fireworks/thunder initially go off, he doesn't panic/do anything else before inevitably falling asleep again)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 3, 2018

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I play music real loud around Halloween and bonfire night and it does a decent job of drowning enough of the sound out

This year I’m gonna use some desensitisation techniques as well in the few weeks prior

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Spartacus has been pretty chill, even bored the last few times there's been fireworks. Cookie though... Cookie trembles and tries to hind behind us, but there's no hiding from the noise :(

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Jake has a prescription for Xanax. He used to be ok with loud noises when we first got him, but over the years he has gotten more and more afraid. New Years was really bad, he was scared to even go anywhere afterward for at least 2 months. When we picked up his Rx last time the pharmacist at Walgreens gave him a couple treats :3:

Edit: by the way, the post about Dwight was in Phoenix where everyone ignores the laws around fireworks, and you have to watch you house because people will let Chinese lanterns go and burn down their neighbors houses. It’s like the driest place on earth out here but no one gives a poo poo.

Drunk Beekeeper fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 3, 2018

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I'm so glad we don't really have to deal with fireworks here. New Year's is the only time people set them off, and most people in our street just watch the fancy fireworks in the harbour.

In other news, it snowed in the mountains so obviously we had to drive to go see it. And obviously, I'm going to use it as an excuse to post Gello (and pals) in the snow pics. She handled the cold surprisingly well, but I'm glad I brought a coat for when she stopped running.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

haha, it certainly looks like they've had fun! :D
(I half-wish we had snow near-ish where I live too, so Tazo can go to see it...but he's just as wussy as I am when it comes to the cold, so I'm not sure if he would be a fan! Good thing Gello seemed to have had a blast, though!)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

I'm so glad we don't really have to deal with fireworks here. New Year's is the only time people set them off, and most people in our street just watch the fancy fireworks in the harbour.

In other news, it snowed in the mountains so obviously we had to drive to go see it. And obviously, I'm going to use it as an excuse to post Gello (and pals) in the snow pics. She handled the cold surprisingly well, but I'm glad I brought a coat for when she stopped running.

I love ur dogs

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Doesn't your greyhound need a coat there? Not trying to intrude, just wondering about the weather. I put a light coat on Abby under like 50, and the thick one under 32 or so. I just made those guidelines up though.

Anyway, it's every dog owners most hated day I suppose... at least for many. Hope those with greyhounds that are scared of fireworks stay safe today.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

Doesn't your greyhound need a coat there? Not trying to intrude, just wondering about the weather. I put a light coat on Abby under like 50, and the thick one under 32 or so. I just made those guidelines up though.

Anyway, it's every dog owners most hated day I suppose... at least for many. Hope those with greyhounds that are scared of fireworks stay safe today.

I think it likely depends on the dog. Sparty runs hot, so he actually thrives when it gets below 50 to the point he overheats with a coat on. He's still young though, so I'm sure that will change.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've gone outside with Doggles when it's 20 F outside and he takes his sweet time finding the perfect spot to pee while I'm shivering my rear end off.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm in the Twin Cities. The week after last Christmas the average temp was below zero for the entire week. Abby doesn't really like having booties on, I put some musher's secret on her paws but I have no idea if that helps.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Yeah, it's a fair question that often gets asked. Gello runs really hot. She was really warm while running around but once she stopped chasing poo poo and she started cooling down, the coat went on. Those are just boring photos though. She does prefer running without her coat, and so I tend to watch her closely to make sure she's cosy at all times.

DarkHorse posted:

I love ur dogs

I do too! Though, only Gello is mine. The other's are a friend's, and if I could kidnap them all, I totally would. Especially Iluk, the Malamute. Though, seeing how she is with other dogs make me seriously consider adopting another greyhound soon, as soon as we're allowed to by our landlord.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I love the shot of Gello launching after Iluk, and the one with the (Irish Wolfhound?) snow all over his muzzle :kimchi:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

I love the shot of Gello launching after Iluk, and the one with the (Irish Wolfhound?) snow all over his muzzle :kimchi:

They all get along so well. Mia (the one Gello's chasing) is the love of Gello's life and they go 'hunting' together all the time. Connor's a Scottish Deerhound, which apparently is like an Irish Wolfhound but smaller and leaner. We're also joined on some of our walks by a legit wolfhound, and the difference is pretty astonishing. I'll see if I can get photos during the week. There was also a fifth dog, but he was too busy rolling in the snow to get photographed. Overall, a beastly gang of dogs. :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
How did everyone’s hounds fare over the holiday?

Here’s Spartacus, he...

Oh.

Oh no. :ohdear:

RIP in piece Sparty, you died as you lived, snoozin’ like a doofus through fireworks :patriot:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It is too hot for Bonnie. There was an advert for a bandana that you soak and it apparently released the water slowly to cool them down. All probably bullshit but I figured she would look cute as poo poo with a neckerchief

I was right :3:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I feel this perfectly encapsulates the dichotomy of greyhounds.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Should point out that Bonnie is a saluki/grey cross, please don’t kick me out of this thread though, I like it here :ohdear:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Should point out that Bonnie is a saluki/grey cross, please don’t kick me out of this thread though, I like it here :ohdear:

So is Gello, strangely enough! :haw:

Is Bonnie's fur super-soft and silky?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Yeah mostly, except right now she’s shedding like crazy and I think that makes it a bit more oily and weird

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

How did she get crossed? Greyhound breeding is pretty strictly controlled.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

actionjackson posted:

How did she get crossed? Greyhound breeding is pretty strictly controlled.

Irish Travellers

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Radiation Cow posted:

I feel this perfectly encapsulates the dichotomy of greyhounds.
also, bonnie can derp it up with the best of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Gello is classy, all the time.

Even when she's face planting into the ocean. (She was fine. A bit salty, but I don't think she even noticed she got dunked.)