Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

ConfusedUs posted:

I feel like the only way I'd like a The Thing solo is if they went full camp with it. Like the Batman: Brave and the Bold animated series a few years ago, make it so that the hero is the straight man to every zany thing in the universe.

The one issue I had as a kid had him randomly stumbling upon magical leprechauns. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Look folks, The Thing is basically The Hulk if instead of being a terrifying rage monster, he was the nicest, most humble guy you’ll ever know. If you can’t get behind that, there’s something wrong inside of you.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
The thing is just a blue collar guy from the rough streets who lives in a magic skyscraper with infinite money. And hell,

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Matt Lindland posted:

The thing is just a blue collar guy from the rough streets who lives in a magic skyscraper with infinite money. And hell,

I liked how in the Ultimate imprint, he was straight-up suicidal, but couldn’t find a way to actually do it. Which just made things worse for him. Poor guy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone ever done anything with the fact that, for all that he's not as smart as Reed, the Thing is still a former test pilot and astronaut who probably has multiple degrees in engineering?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Isn't every F4 member an accomplished scientific person? And that's why they were in the spaceship on the first place?

It's just that Reed has to be the smartest person in the whole multiverse, I guess.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Has anyone ever done anything with the fact that, for all that he's not as smart as Reed, the Thing is still a former test pilot and astronaut who probably has multiple degrees in engineering?

Isn't the fact that he's the best pilot in the F4 (rock fingers or no) still part of his character?

Samuringa posted:

Isn't every F4 member an accomplished scientific person? And that's why they were in the spaceship on the first place?

Not really. Sue was a wannabe actor, Johnny was a teenage gearhead. At least in the original comics -- that may have been retconned for all I know.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 4, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Samuringa posted:

It's just that Reed has to be the smartest person in the whole multiverse, I guess.

That was just in the Ultimate universe. In 616 Sue and Johnny tagged along for insanely stupid reasons and Ben was just Reed's BFF and a pilot.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ecavalli posted:

Look folks, The Thing is basically The Hulk if instead of being a terrifying rage monster, he was the nicest, most humble guy you’ll ever know. If you can’t get behind that, there’s something wrong inside of you.

That's not true.

The Hulk bangs way more. Like there's a solid 99% chance if the Hulk runs into a princess from the future/an alien planet/the microverse it's going down.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Given that his origin story literally consists of him correctly pointing out that the mission should be scrubbed due to being dangerous, but Sue Storm mocking him for being a coward and letting the commies win the space race, until he gives in and goes anyway, I don't think Ben Grimm was ever depicted as being particularly 'smart.'

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Selachian posted:

Not really. Sue was a wannabe actor, Johnny was a teenage gearhead. At least in the original comics -- that may have been retconned for all I know.

Zore posted:

That was just in the Ultimate universe. In 616 Sue and Johnny tagged along for insanely stupid reasons and Ben was just Reed's BFF and a pilot.

Oh, I can't wait for the continuity lecture on this one, those are always a good time :munch:

Although the F4 hasn't had a main title since Secret Wars, right? There's a chance nobody might even know?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuringa posted:

Oh, I can't wait for the continuity lecture on this one, those are always a good time :munch:

Although the F4 hasn't had a main title since Secret Wars, right? There's a chance nobody might even know?

Correct, Reed, Sue and the kids have been missing then.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mulva posted:

That's not true.

The Hulk bangs way more. Like there's a solid 99% chance if the Hulk runs into a princess from the future/an alien planet/the microverse it's going down.

I thought Ben has a steady girlfriend? I suppose a lot can change in the 20 years since I last read a F4 comic, she probably got killed for pathos or got her sight back and left him because it made her shallow or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Friends, Marvel has a handy-dandy Power Grid right on their official Wiki! Thing has an Intelligence rating of 2, which is Normal. Johnny is a 4 (Gifted), Sue is a 5 (Genius) and Reed is a 6 (Super-Genius).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Endless Mike posted:

Friends, Marvel has a handy-dandy Power Grid right on their official Wiki! Thing has an Intelligence rating of 2, which is Normal. Johnny is a 4 (Gifted), Sue is a 5 (Genius) and Reed is a 6 (Super-Genius).

I know self-reported numbers when I see them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

I don't remember Sue's FASERIP, but I'm pretty sure Johnny only had "Good" levels of Reason.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bruceski posted:

I thought Ben has a steady girlfriend? I suppose a lot can change in the 20 years since I last read a F4 comic, she probably got killed for pathos or got her sight back and left him because it made her shallow or something.

The blind woman, Alicia Masters? She's still around. But I think the only time they banged was in Hickman's run when the Future Foundation kids developed a potion that turned Thing normal for a couple days.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Skwirl posted:

The blind woman, Alicia Masters? She's still around. But I think the only time they banged was in Hickman's run when the Future Foundation kids developed a potion that turned Thing normal for a couple days.

Little had they realized what he was talking about when the Thing thanked them for giving him a potion that let him get his rocks off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ultimate Ben's power evolution was pretty neat and kind of long overdue for 616 Ben.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mulva posted:

I'm not going to link it here, but everyone that has seen that one particular Hulk .gif has that image in their head right now.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
That one time the Hulk got laid and Banner couldn't hulk out anymore cause he had chilled out

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Ultimate Ben's power evolution was pretty neat and kind of long overdue for 616 Ben.

What was this? I sort of stopped reading Ultimates halfway through the run. (Cause I'm an idiot)

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
So the most important thing that happened in Batman #50 was that it had a scene in Porky’s Bar, making the Batman/Elmer Fudd Special canon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Infinitum posted:

What was this? I sort of stopped reading Ultimates halfway through the run. (Cause I'm an idiot)

No you were better off. It happens in the Ultimate Doom/Mystery/Trashcan trilogy that Bendis wrote where Reed is revealed to have become a villain. Ben's skin flakes off and he's normal except now he can like power up and he's purple and glowing and has all his Thing powers.

Then he and Sue hook up out of nowhere and she proposes to him.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

What??

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
To be fair, Reed made them drink pee.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Somebody post the panel of Ultimate Sue rejecting Reed, which then led to the Ultimate universe to somehow predict the rise of dangerous Incel terrorists.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Rhyno posted:

No you were better off. It happens in the Ultimate Doom/Mystery/Trashcan trilogy that Bendis wrote where Reed is revealed to have become a villain. Ben's skin flakes off and he's normal except now he can like power up and he's purple and glowing and has all his Thing powers.

What the gently caress?!

I legit can’t tell if this is a joke or not.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ecavalli posted:

What the gently caress?!

I legit can’t tell if this is a joke or not.

100 percent true, and involves bright red lipstick and collagen injections.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
'Purple and glowing'? Thing turned into Thanos? :psyduck:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Yeah I'm glad I stopped reading that... like The Maker is such a cool rear end villain, but I never knew about... purple glowy Thing powers :psyboom:

Post pics :getin:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He's not Thanos-like. He's just like, regular person sized and happens to be glowing pink.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A quick round of Google-Fu

:psyduck: Man I feel like I gotta read the whole Ultimates run again at some point

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
What the gently caress, Bendis?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I was trying to find a panel but the only relevant offline comic I had was Ultimate FF, which I forgot triples down on the stupidity of the Ultimate line by only showing Ben's energy form between panels as he transforms into regular rock Thing because editorial status quo conquers all. Also Doom is alive because the other Doom that Ben killed was actually Sue's mom, yay comics.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Infinitum posted:

I’m honestly impressed that it’s worse than I imagined.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ecavalli posted:

I’m honestly impressed that it’s worse than I imagined.

The Ultimate Universe post-mortem.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Infinitum posted:

:psyduck: Man I feel like I gotta read the whole Ultimates run again at some point

Really? Because that is not the feeling I'm getting from this, more of a relief I never read it in the first place.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Infinitum posted:

I don't know if I hate this or when supes was blue and electric more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd rather have the spiky thing.