Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I couldn't tell you why that bothers me with there and not with older games that did the exact same thing but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
octopath has a lot of weird contrasts in its visual style that make stuff like that stick out more

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As much as I like the Souls games and the genre it created, I kind of want to live in the world where 3D Dot Game Hero was the surprise hit that made From a powerhouse.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

glam rock hamhock posted:

To someone who has never played another YS game, how is YS Origin?

The best

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah, i don't really care for that pixelated sprites and textures plastered onto live 3D models aesthetic. i think it would look a lot better if everything was old style sprites at roughly a PS1 definition, but i feel this way about basically all of SE's small scale rpg projects.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
drat, the ending of the Oblivion Thieves Guild questline looks like it's going to be the most intense poo poo ever :stare:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I freakin love it, walking through the cathedral at the beginning of ophila's story with the tiny focal plane and shadows all over the place, the way it looks is amazing to me

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

drat, the ending of the Oblivion Thieves Guild questline looks like it's going to be the most intense poo poo ever :stare:

It's really cool yeah

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

What are the good SaGa games? Or rather, are there any I should avoid?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I wouldn't say any of them are bad, but if you're gonna start out I would say go with saga frontier 1, romancing saga 2 and 3, and maybe check out the game boy games (idk if the DS ports for those ever got translated or not)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

a hd remake of romancing saga 2 recently came out on like everything I think, pc, ps4, switch so its never been a better time, to start playing saga games

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Probably don't play Unlimited SaGa.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

unlimited saga is fine, if you're one of the few people on earth with the gene that allows you to understand how to play unlimited saga

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

the remake of saga 1 on the wonderswan has a decent fan translation, it's short and there are some cool scenes if you're up for a somewhat disjointed, goofy 90s jrpg

homeless snail posted:

I wouldn't say any of them are bad, but if you're gonna start out I would say go with saga frontier 1, romancing saga 2 and 3, and maybe check out the game boy games (idk if the DS ports for those ever got translated or not)

they did, but from what i played the fan tl for saga 2 ds is a bit uneven in quality and it's much grindier than the original, i fought a fair number of enemies when i played it but it barely gave me any stat increases at all. saga 3 is a different group so the tl might be better but i've heard mixed stuff about the game itself

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

all saga games are brutal. i think romancing saga on the ps2 is probably the most accessible but it will still jam a lead pipe up your rear end whether you like it or not

The Colonel posted:

they did, but from what i played the fan tl for saga 2 ds is a bit uneven in quality and it's much grindier than the original, i fought a fair number of enemies when i played it but it barely gave me any stat increases at all. saga 3 is a different group so the tl might be better but i've heard mixed stuff about the game itself

does the saga 3 remake keep the traditional rpg leveling system like FFL3 or do they retool it to be in line with the rest of its namesake series?

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 4, 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

this is what environmentalists want

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

an actual dog posted:

this is what environmentalists want

They're right.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

All SaGa games are good except original Romancing SaGa (but the remake is great)

Play Saga Frontier 2 it owns

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

chumbler posted:

They're right.

have you ever met an ironwood tree, or perhaps a kudzu. they are extremely warlike. nothing would be solved

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Plants are some of the most aggressive and invasive motherfuckers on the planet. Never trust a plant.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

exdeath would disagree

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

does the saga 3 remake keep the traditional rpg leveling system like FFL3 or do they retool it to be in line with the rest of its namesake series?

it retools it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DOWN WITH THE WILLOWS

SECURE THE FOREST FOR THE SUPERIOR OAK WOOD

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Plants are some of the most aggressive and invasive motherfuckers on the planet. Never trust a plant.

Macaluso posted:

I couldn't tell you why that bothers me with there and not with older games that did the exact same thing but :shrug:

maybe because the butler guy is 2x as big as the other enemy humanoids. you dont often see this kind of thing where they're all framed in a human room like that with many objects of varying contextually coherent sizes

also theres a solar eclipse happening outside but the lamps are still on

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 4, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

this guy is even cooler

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

please don't be mean to trees

some people's moms are trees

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

homeless snail posted:

this guy is even cooler

God this game looks cool.

I finally started the demo today playing as the merchant girl and I'm very excited for the full version to come out.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Thank you for the advice everyone, I decided to try Romancing SaGa 2 since it's on switch.

I'm glad the switch inherited the vita's legacy and is getting some rad rpgs. Though the true proof that it's the successor to the vita was when I saw nekopara got added to the eshop.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Romancing saga 2 was my first saga game and it was good as hell :cheers:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
In Celebration of Violence is oddly good. Is there a thread for it? Didn't notice one, but sometimes mobile skips around when the thread order updates.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_D0wkLyCXE

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

In Celebration of Violence is oddly good. Is there a thread for it? Didn't notice one, but sometimes mobile skips around when the thread order updates.

theres been a bit of discussion in the roguelike thread

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I reinstalled the Mega Edition of FF15 yet again and I swear to god this time I'm gonna make it past chapter 3.

It's so weird because I love the game but it takes up like 100 gigabytes now so anytime we get new stuff it's the first thing on the chopping block.

This month's free PS+ games SUCK

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I love my job and my shift

I do not love the prospect of trying to sleep now and getting woken up in 2 hours by fireworks that will continue until 1am. Even odds that I give up and just play Grim Dawn here in a few hours.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The newest update for the game on steam is rad

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Hmmm

Nah I'm good Youtube

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The art in octopath traveler looks cool but as a title it sounds like octodad :shrug:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

The Grey posted:

I'm not sure where to post this... have people already talked about all the free games Amazon Prime members get this month?

- Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition: July 2-4
- Metal Slug 3: July 3 - August 2
- The Last Blade: July 3 - August 2
- Twinkle Star Sprites: July 3 - August 2
- Q.U.B.E. 2: July 3-4
- Battle Chef Brigade: July 4-11
- Manual Samuel: July 5-12
- Gonner: July 6-13
- Next Up Hero: July 7-14
- Uurnog Uurnlimited: July 8-14
- Hue: July 9-15
- Deponia Doomsday: July 10-16
- Observer: July 11-17
- Tacoma: July 12-18
- The Bridge: July 13-26
- Brutal Legend: July 14-27
- The Red Strings Club: July 15-21
- Tyranny: July 16-18
- Broken Age: July 17-31
- The Framed Collection: July 18-31
- Serial Cleaner: July 18-31
Pretty excited for it! I've just recently dipped into my stock of Twitch games in lieu of getting more stuff off Steam and such. They've made a pretty good effort in the past few months.

So I've previously finished Pillars and am aware of Metal Slug, Last Blade, Battle Chef, Tacoma, Brutal Legend, Tyranny and Broken Age. What else is worthwhile on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Odin Sphere also does this thing with the Playable Characters and the Bosses having wildly different scales but with the Vanillaware design in mind

Your characters already have somewhat exaggerated features, but then you get to the ones you have to face and it just goes wild

• Locked thread