Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I feel kinda bad absorbing the ghosts with my dream nail. Like the songstress one, she just wanted an audience and I gave her permadeath lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I did one by mistake, then stopped. :(

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I justified it to myself as finally giving them peace in the afterlife or whatever. also I thought there was some sort of secret involved with it lol

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I'm 22 hours in and think I'm near the end of the game (Watcher Knights, have every movement ability) and I've never seen any of this stuff you guys are talking about.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Sock The Great posted:

I'm 22 hours in and think I'm near the end of the game (Watcher Knights, have every movement ability) and I've never seen any of this stuff you guys are talking about.

yeah the game's good as hell

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sock The Great posted:

Hollow Knight: There's always more and it's always grand

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My charge attack just stopped hitting enemies. Is that a glitch or does that happen under certain conditions? I mean like my charge slash is coming into contact with the enemy but nothing is happening.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

fractalairduct posted:

You probably want at least a map or a lantern before you explore Deepnest, but it sounds like you're managing to handle it pretty well if you've gotten that far in.

Yeah, I spent everything I had on the lamp as soon as I saw it (I remember Zelda II!) and IIRC the map was right near the entrance. I actually made it out the other side of Deepnest and saw some creepy poo poo, but other than unlocking the stagway in distant village, it was kind of a waste to go there at this stage of the game since I just kept running into things I could interact with but not do anything to (yet).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anything happen if I find all of the mushroom dudes ?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

veni veni veni posted:

Does anything happen if I find all of the mushroom dudes ?

yes

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just beat Lost Kin in the Basin. Kinda of a bullshitty fight compared to Broken Vessel, but man Defenders Crest makes it manageable.

EDIT: Oh dang, using dreamgate costs essence?! :(

I mean I only used it like three times to play around with it but I wish I learned that sooner

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 5, 2018

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Unlucky7 posted:

I just beat Lost Kin in the Basin. Kinda of a bullshitty fight compared to Broken Vessel, but man Defenders Crest makes it manageable.

I mean I only used it like three times to play around with it but I wish I learned that sooner

Once you have dreamgate unlocked enemies will start randomly dropping an essence or two when killed. Don't worry about it too much.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It costs 1 measly essence. You'll probably use it a few dozen times over the course of the game. It's nothing. You get way more essence than you even need for the achievement, let alone everything significant.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm so loving sick of fighting the second crystal guardian.

This boss is offensively simple but his timing doesn't seem predictable and his leap is too loving fast when it's at you instead of straight into the air.

Well after posting I beat it immediately. It was bullshit cause his beams from above killed me as I killed him. I am considering this my first time losing Geo.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 5, 2018

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Unlucky7 posted:

Spending essence on dreamgate also doubles the odds of getting random essence drops from enemies. So, no reason to be shy about spending it. Even without that, you'll get way more essence than you need by fighting the dream warriors/bosses. The ability to warp is well worth it.

Wildtortilla, since there's a bench right there, you might as well just go grab your shade, then you can save and quit out to return safely to the bench. Alternatively, you could shoot the shade with magic to draw it out of the boss room before fighting it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Went after Soul Tyrant since beating Lost Kin made me think I could take him.

Yeah, I think I will wait on that one. On retrospect I probably should have waited on a couple of upgrades for the latter as well to save a headache.

EDIT: Late to the party on this but:

Rex-Goliath posted:

Hollow Knight: There's always more and it's always grand

Personally I think it is the Metroidvania equivalent of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8teatykUmQ

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 5, 2018

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
if you learn soul master's strats he's the easiest variant of the three dream bosses i found.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hey everybody who told me to put money in the bank? Each of you can go gently caress yourself!

Luckily I read that they go to the pleasure spa with your money so I wasn’t actually mad. Pretty great rate of return on that!

Edit: when/where do I get double jump? I got to the Teacher’s Archive in Fog Canyon but I can’t get the loving map for Fog Canyon without double jump!!!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Hey everybody who told me to put money in the bank? Each of you can go gently caress yourself!

Luckily I read that they go to the pleasure spa with your money so I wasn’t actually mad. Pretty great rate of return on that!

Arrhythmia posted:

These are my favourite posts.

:blastu:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The Watcher Knights were a blast to fight.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Hey everybody who told me to put money in the bank?

Did you hit the thing? Please tell me you hit the thing, that's a great moment.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dancer posted:

Did you hit the thing? Please tell me you hit the thing, that's a great moment.

Yeah I did and I probably would have been mad had I not already read what to do next

Edit: ummm what the hell happened to the Forgotten Crossroads?!?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 5, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm so loving sick of fighting the second crystal guardian.

This boss is offensively simple but his timing doesn't seem predictable and his leap is too loving fast when it's at you instead of straight into the air.

Well after posting I beat it immediately. It was bullshit cause his beams from above killed me as I killed him. I am considering this my first time losing Geo.

I feel your pain. That fight pissed me off more than any other one in the game.

Edit: So I got all of the dream trees and ghosts as far as I can tell. What do I do next to bump up my essence? I still haven't gotten to 1500 for the mask.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Edit: So I got all of the dream trees and ghosts as far as I can tell. What do I do next to bump up my essence? I still haven't gotten to 1500 for the mask.

Beat the dream bosses.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

veni veni veni posted:

Some bosses leave behind corpses that can be dreamnailed for an extra fight.

False Knight, Soul Master, Broken Vessel

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

Talk about the dreamgate has me wondering why the devs made using it cost essence. As many pointed out, you gain back way more than is necessary for ~~story stuff~~, AND you will gain it back from just killing enemies normally. So the amortized cost of using it is 0, maybe even negative (since you can gain a trickle of essence even without having used it).

So why even bother? Lore reasons? To prevent you from expending 900 deaths beating your head on that one boss? :iiam:

I took the advice of some goons here and bought Celeste. drat that's a good, hard game. Path of Pain seems like chump change compared to celeste's B-sides, and I haven't even unlocked the C-sides!

So yeah, thanks, goons!

Dancer
May 23, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Some bosses leave behind corpses that can be dreamnailed for an extra fight.

False Knight, Soul Master, Broken Vessel

Also, since an update Dung Defender (though I guess he's still very much alive)

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I had no idea it cost essence

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Not emptyquoting.

Oh god what did I do

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 5, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Yeah I did and I probably would have been mad had I not already read what to do next

they got religion

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my uncle at nintendo told me the switch is gonna get a coop version where one person plays hornet and the other plays hollow knight, and you can press both bumpers at the same time to instantly bubble yourself that way you don't screw each other up doing jumping puzzles.

e: you can down slash the bubble to pogo off of it, that way you don't have to get an enemy to come over when you're trying to do specific jumps.

e2: also whenever one of you dies, you have to fight the shade to bring them back.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 5, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speaking of the infected crossroads . While I think the general idea is cool, I have no idea why the hell they decided to block some of the paths. Like, what was the purpose of that? It just makes it tedious to accomplish menial poo poo when you go back there and there's no gameplay reason for it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Speaking of the infected crossroads . While I think the general idea is cool, I have no idea why the hell they decided to block some of the paths. Like, what was the purpose of that? It just makes it tedious to accomplish menial poo poo when you go back there and there's no gameplay reason for it.

Yeah, I don't understand it either.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think it's basically to force you out of the area and learn the other area connections. I certainly found myself using different paths in the endgame.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Paths that I never used since I had the stagways open? :v: It just makes getting to Salubria a pain.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Bogart posted:

Paths that I never used since I had the stagways open? :v: It just makes getting to Salubria a pain.

It used to annoy me too but if you go through the pathway that has the tram it's almost the same distance. You can also get there via Blue Lake from the Resting Grounds.

Unlucky7 posted:

For what it's worth, only placing the gate costs essence, using it is free.

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Edit: when/where do I get double jump? I got to the Teacher’s Archive in Fog Canyon but I can’t get the loving map for Fog Canyon without double jump!!!

Ancient Basin

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Other way around, placing the gate is free but warping costs 1.

The cost is so low that it's completely irrelevant anyway even if you do make extensive use of dream gates, and like someone mentioned using dream gate doubles your chances of randomly finding 1 essence when killing any enemy so the cost doesn't matter twice over.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

guppy posted:

It used to annoy me too but if you go through the pathway that has the tram it's almost the same distance. You can also get there via Blue Lake from the Resting Grounds.

For what it's worth, only placing the gate costs essence, using it is free.

Ancient Basin

I think I read you need some kind of key to get into the area underneath that one? Where is it?

Also I think I got Dreamgate but idk what it does

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dream Gate is just a mark/recall spell. Dreamnail+Down to set a warp point, then Dreamnail+Up to warp to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's very useful for boss runs or to place near a stag station to facilitate fast travel