Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

nm u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

mateo you're in the wrong state if what's happening to the Murray Darling isn't important to you

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Quantum Mechanic posted:

She won the most recent preselection to stand for the Senate again by less than a %, a double-digit number of votes across the entirety of the SA Greens, and I'm only glad of that because I don't want to see Rob Simms get elected on an actually left-wing platform and then lose the seat to Centre Alliance.

Yeah I thought this wasn't true and sure enough it's just made up. The actual result of the pre-selection was 53-47. Sure that's a very tight race (which was the best possible outcome imo) but once again it's SHY getting attacked over poo poo that isn't true. She campaigns about the Murray because she's from SA and over here we're getting rorted on it. Your other stuff about swanning around and taking a photo with Trudeau might be true, I dunno.

What's the concern about CA taking the senate seat? Do the numbers/polls support that or is it a concern that we might lose enough votes for it to happen?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hopefully now that Xenophon has removed his name from it Centre Alliance are dead in the loving water for future SA elections

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

just waiting on a settlement date for my apartment so we can move in and then get on the strata and enforce Mandatory Communism & Solar

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Hopefully now that Xenophon has removed his name from it Centre Alliance are dead in the loving water for future SA elections

Sharkie is leading Georgina Downer 58-42 in the polls for Mayo

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 4, 2018

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Sharkie is leading Georgia Downer 62-38 in the polls for Mayo

exception that proves the rule

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Unless he decides to run again I guess?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Unless he decides to run again I guess?

I honestly think the last SA election has completely tanked his rep. If he came back and slapped his name on the Centre Alliance again (if they let him) I think it'd be diminishing returns.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

AgentF posted:

What's the concern about CA taking the senate seat? Do the numbers/polls support that or is it a concern that we might lose enough votes for it to happen?

Given the way the results went in the full Senate election in 2016, I don't see how the Greens can be confident of holding a seat in SA unless losing the Xenophon branding causes a spectacular collapse in support. SHY was elected 11th, and the top 6 went Lib-ALP-NXT-Lib-ALP-NXT.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Tony Abbott has rejected assertions his attempt to kill the National Energy Guarantee was designed to bring on a leadership spill, saying only Malcolm Turnbull assassinated democratically elected prime ministers.

As senior Liberals including Mr Turnbull and deputy Liberal leader Julie Bishop dismissed his calls for Australia to abandon the Paris climate change commitment and the NEG, Mr Abbott denied there was an ulterior motive, as many of his colleagues suspect.

"I don't want to change the leader because I don't believe in politically assassinating democratically elected prime ministers," Mr Abbott told radio station 2GB.

"I do not believe in that. He does, I don't."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"I'm only doing this because I really loving hate the environment" is actually a pretty plausible motive for Abbott.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

AgentF posted:

Yeah I thought this wasn't true and sure enough it's just made up. The actual result of the pre-selection was 53-47. Sure that's a very tight race (which was the best possible outcome imo) but once again it's SHY getting attacked over poo poo that isn't true.

I was told otherwise. Might have been from earlier results before postals maybe. It wasn't really an attack per se but more to illustrate that a decent chunk of her state see the same issues.

AgentF posted:

She campaigns about the Murray because she's from SA and over here we're getting rorted on it.

Not saying it isn't important but we're talking about the education portfolio. For the Greens. SHY's set back our relationships with the AEU, particularly TFed, so far that they're leaning back towards Labor again. She lied to party members on multiple occasions about meeting with the AEU, forgetting we have members in the TFed executive. It's not a constituency we can afford to lose or ignore - 10% of our membership are teachers or academics.

AgentF posted:

My understanding is SA's current polling wouldn't see us retain a Senate seat. She wouldn't have won a half-Senate election in 2016. Maybe after CA's recent performance on the tax cuts it might recover.

GoldStandardConure posted:

just waiting on a settlement date for my apartment so we can move in and then get on the strata and enforce Mandatory Communism & Solar

good poo poo

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Lid posted:

Australia has strengthened its “no jab, no pay” policy by issuing further financial sanctions to parents who refuse to vaccinate their children.

Parents will now lose A$28 (£16) a fortnight from their tax benefits for each child not up to date with their immunisations.

Previously, parents whose children were not up to date with vaccinations would lose an end of year payment to their family tax benefit, worth A$737.

The new fortnightly sanction will see parents lose out on roughly the same amount but is said to serve as a more “constant reminder”. Those earning over A$80 a day will also have further penalties imposed.

The move is part of an ongoing clampdown by the Australian government on the “anti-vaxxer” movement after the percentage of children under seven with a “conscientious objection” to immunisation rose from 0.23 per cent in December 1999 to 1.77 per cent in December 2014, according to Australia’s parliament.

Minister for Social Services Dan Tehan said the clampdown was necessary to protect public health.

“Immunisation is the safest way to protect children from vaccine-preventable diseases,” he said in a statement, news.com.au reported. “Parents who don’t immunise their children are putting their own kids at risk as well as the children of other people.”

It comes as a leading medical journal in the UK found measles “remains a threat” to the British public after 643 cases were recorded up to 18 June this year, up from 274 cases in the whole of 2017.

good.

Should be means tested.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

If I was going to mock the bag ban I'd talk up corporations producing waste on an industrial scale compared to individuals, but I think that talking point wouldn't appeal to these people for some strange reason.

Because I hate myself, I'm a member of a "zero waste" Facebook community. Think a bunch of middle class suburban mums whining about how everything has plastic in it these days forever and heavily judging peeps for using loving drinking straws with the occasional bit of useful information and productive discussion.

People point out that the consumer is the last link in a lovely supply chain that seems to go back forever. They know this. Like if you buy fruit and veg there's a good chance kilometres of plastic were used in the growing process - it keeps weeds out and protects the product from blemishes.

However, the fact that people are concerned about it does lead to innovations that reduce the need for the stuff. Like these guys who've developed a process that uses less plastic and saves farmers money.

The thing that shits me is people rail on about the stupid plastic while remaining willfully blind to the myriad other lovely things we do. Like how our society sends billions of dollars worth of food into landfill where it turns into methane. It makes no loving sense when you consider the ridiculous amounts of fertiliser and water used to produce the crops in the first place and how bad a problem soil degradation is (at least it is here in WA). Or how bad meat eating is for the environment. Yet I never hear any "hey let's lobby the council to start composting" or "hey let's run a vegetarian cooking class for the community".

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

froglet posted:

Because I hate myself, I'm a member of a "zero waste" Facebook community. Think a bunch of middle class suburban mums whining about how everything has plastic in it these days forever and heavily judging peeps for using loving drinking straws with the occasional bit of useful information and productive discussion.

People point out that the consumer is the last link in a lovely supply chain that seems to go back forever. They know this. Like if you buy fruit and veg there's a good chance kilometres of plastic were used in the growing process - it keeps weeds out and protects the product from blemishes.

However, the fact that people are concerned about it does lead to innovations that reduce the need for the stuff. Like these guys who've developed a process that uses less plastic and saves farmers money.

The thing that shits me is people rail on about the stupid plastic while remaining willfully blind to the myriad other lovely things we do. Like how our society sends billions of dollars worth of food into landfill where it turns into methane. It makes no loving sense when you consider the ridiculous amounts of fertiliser and water used to produce the crops in the first place and how bad a problem soil degradation is (at least it is here in WA). Or how bad meat eating is for the environment. Yet I never hear any "hey let's lobby the council to start composting" or "hey let's run a vegetarian cooking class for the community".

my girlfriend drives herself nuts (and by extension me) angsting over plastic she sees in fruit & veg markets as well as how her housemates don't recycle properly - to the point of going through the things they put in their recycling box to make sure there's no food or anything else

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

i should start myself a jar of dollar coins for every time i try to suggest joining an advocacy group for wider reforms to industrial and commercial practices

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

i should start myself a jar of dollar coins for every time i try to suggest joining an advocacy group for wider reforms to industrial and commercial practices

Every time I tell people to join the greens or give money to the climate council or whatever, I get a lot of "ew politics" or "I don't have the time/money". Yeah you loving do, Mildred, but posting #zerowaste #plasticfree pics on Facebook and Instagram gets you more headpats from your friends and family than actually being seen Having An Opinion and contributing what you can in a way that'll actually enact change or sway public opinion.

Of course, I don't say that because airing ones unkind thoughts rarely does one any favours.

I understand it seems daunting, but it's not that scary, honest. None of the volunteering tasks are particularly difficult and if it gets too much, financial donors (however small) are always welcome to whichever cause you hitch yourself to.

Also this talk of plastic reminded me - I have three compostable spoons and I'm going to feed one to my worm farm to see how long it takes to decompose. Someone remind me to do that tomorrow.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

great to see jbp was arrested for defacing the dixon memorial

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

also hey qm i hope greens things are goin well for you

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Re: SHY, has everyone forgotten that Australia Day press release recently? Because that's another example of why people dislike her. It was full of outrage and completely wrong on several important details, and I say this as someone who's on-board with changing the date and quietly removing statues, or else putting up more of other under-represented groups (particularly women and Indigenous Australians).

Granted, she almost certainly didn't write it herself, but she probably read it before it went out (and if she didn't, that's an issue for a whole other bunch of reasons), and in any case, it went out under her name.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Yeah that was a fuckup.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
None of the shy posters have said whether they would gently caress her so points are moot.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/jul/05/australia-agrees-to-take-seriously-ill-refugee-girl-from-nauru-as-case-reaches-court

"Lawyers sought his transfer to Australia for urgent medical intervention but this was resisted by the Australian government, which asked for the court hearing to be delayed a week, arguing the boy could be adequately cared for on Nauru.

Justice Nye Perram disagreed, saying there was a “significant risk the boy would not be alive by that hearing” and ordered the boy be brought immediately to Australia for care, where he remains."

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 5, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

great to see jbp was arrested for defacing the dixon memorial

Why would you post this about someone I knew?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lid posted:

this is autisms fault

I asked a forensic psych friend at Monash about this. From memory I think she said there's some findings that showed a 40% correlation between autism and risk of being convicted of a violent crime, but it was other disorders and I think ADHD that were the identified contributors to violence and ASD wasn't important to the study after that. The people with ASD in that sample were less likely to offend. Pretty interesting. It's easy to see why people would link the two especially when parents (who you'd expect to know something about their kid's health) burst into interviews re their child's behaviour carrying on about autism as an excuse because they don't want to feel responsible.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 5, 2018

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Literally anything which is likely to lead to disinhibition or failure to inhibit impulsive behaviour is likely to cause an increased risk of "offending".

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

JBP posted:

None of the shy posters have said whether they would gently caress her so points are moot.

I would not gently caress Sarah Hanson-Young, or Larissa Waters for that matter but that is because I do not gently caress women thank you very much

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Aesculus posted:

I would not gently caress Sarah Hanson-Young, or Larissa Waters for that matter but that is because I do not gently caress women thank you very much

So you admit you hate her

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Danby's stepping down. Guarantee he's posted as ambassador to Israel when Labor takes government.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

So you admit you hate her

I am a normal Australian, I hate all Australians, I call all Australians shut up, like a normal Australian. I love breathing oxygen

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

freebooter posted:

Danby's stepping down. Guarantee he's posted as ambassador to Israel when Labor takes government.

He'll be pretty old by 2042,

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Ooooooooh I wonder whose going to step up

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Aesculus posted:

Yet another incel.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Why not insert more self serving structural deficits into the budget? Why not indeed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-05/new-gst-system-to-deliver-tasmania-an-extra-112m/9942860

What's 9 Billion a year? Where's your GST god now gently caress stains?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

Literally anything which is likely to lead to disinhibition or failure to inhibit impulsive behaviour is likely to cause an increased risk of "offending".

Why "offending"? Isn't being convicted of a violent crime just straight up offending?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/murpharoo/status/1014673023750713344

Labor could easily lose Longman.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/992687926369648640

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How bad are climate change initiatives in Australia?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Grouchio posted:

The what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Grouchio posted:

Accelerative.

• Locked thread