Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thanks. I doubt it'll change anything, she pretty much rides whatever he says. So I have the feeling it came from him. Probably going to 1306 out of here. This place is actively detrimental to my career.

Edit to say their reasoning was "I'm not ready." I'll be the first to admit I'm far from the perfect sailor, but I've A. Filled an 04 billet (as an E5) with weapons drop authority in Afghanistan. And B. Been a high ranked MP as my lowest eval, until this command. So clearly I'm the loving problem.

Thronde fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thronde posted:

Thanks. I doubt it'll change anything, she pretty much rides whatever he says. So I have the feeling it came from him. Probably going to 1306 out of here. This place is actively detrimental to my career.

Edit to say their reasoning was "I'm not ready." I'll be the first to admit I'm far from the perfect sailor, but I've A. Filled an 04 billet (as an E5) with weapons drop authority in Afghanistan. And B. Been a high ranked MP as my lowest eval, until this command. So clearly I'm the loving problem.

If you're qualified to take the test (time in grade/etc) then there's no good reason to deny you. You "not being ready" is loving stupid and it's not for her to determine. If you're not ready, let the LDO board say so. She has no loving clue if you're ready to be an officer because she's a loving chief. I would make sure you look up the relevant navy and command instructions regarding early chief tests for board eligibility and command special request chits, but gently caress that poo poo the chief isn't the person to tell you no here.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Obviously they're not ready to be an officer, they're not even trying to be a Chief!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you're qualified to take the test (time in grade/etc) then there's no good reason to deny you. You "not being ready" is loving stupid and it's not for her to determine. If you're not ready, let the LDO board say so. She has no loving clue if you're ready to be an officer because she's a loving chief. I would make sure you look up the relevant navy and command instructions regarding early chief tests for board eligibility and command special request chits, but gently caress that poo poo the chief isn't the person to tell you no here.

Yep, doing just that. Thanks though. I mostly just had to vent and have a laugh about it. The loving absurdity of it was just another keynote of this command. My LDO letter would read how after this command I could overcome any hostile environment or amount of stress.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
There is one hundred loving percent zero reason to deny an LDO test chit if you meet TIR. What a bunch of cock gobbling shitheads. Like holy gently caress. Push the chit through to the CO if you have to.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Echoing the others to state that a chit doesn't ever stop going up until the CO/OIC approves or disapproves. Everything up to that point is a "recommendation". Your SEL should know that, it's in the loving SORM. Super basic poo poo.

That said, if you're serious about the program, you need to find an LDO mentor. They may be able to advocate on your behalf, especially if your chain of command isn't playing along.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah so upon the initial rage fading, turns out my OIC bottom lined it, so I'll be requesting mast and taking it to our CO.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Thronde posted:

Yeah so upon the initial rage fading, turns out my OIC bottom lined it, so I'll be requesting mast and taking it to our CO.

Your OIC sounds like a real winner, what a jack rear end

boner penis
Oct 1, 2012

To Be is to get HYPHY
To Know is to go DUMB
just saw this on the facebook

god what a fool i have been. recruiter said brass might even have let me keep my beard

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hahahahahahah ahahahah gently caress the Navy.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Not a Yeoman like Dusty but, why should you need to route a special request chit when BUPERSINST 1430.16F says that you are authorized to sit the exam for LDO purposes, I don't know why it would require approval

quote:

217. EXAMINATION PARTICIPATION FOR LDO PURPOSES. E6 personnel
who meet the eligibility requirements for the LDO program, have
completed all requirements for E7, but do not meet the minimum
E7 TIR requirements, are authorized to participate in the E7
examination for LDO consideration provided they will have served
as an E6 for at least 1 year computed from their TIR date for E6
to 1 October of the year the LDO application is submitted.
Candidates participating in E7 exam for LDO purposes must be
identified as such when ordering examinations per paragraphs
400a and 400b.

and OPNAVINST 1420.1B only mentions this for E6 applicants

quote:

b. E6 applicants must complete all eligibility requirements
for E7 (except TIR and Leadership Training Continuum (LTC)) and
must successfully compete in the annual Navy-wide examination for
advancement to CPO, receiving a final multiple equal to, or
greater than, the minimum final multiple for E7 selection board
eligibility. Personnel accepted to the LDO program attend
leadership training via ODS. Therefore, LTC is not required for
E6 taking the E7 exam for the express purpose of applying for
LDO. E6 applicants must forward a copy of their most current
examination profile sheet with their application. An E6 is
exempt from the requirements of this subparagraph when
notification has been received by the CO that the individual is a
selectee for CPO or that advancement to CPO has been authorized.

I have had Sailors do a request chit for that and I feel as though it is more the process than an actual regulations requirement.

Good luck

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Bout get my patriotism on, hashtag NAVSTAGLAKES

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
SUN'S
OUT
GUNS
OUT
DISA-
SSEM-
BLED
WHILE
ON
WATCH

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

SUN'S
OUT
GUNS
DISASSEMBLED WHILE ON WATCH

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

SUN'S
OUT
GUNS
OUT
DISA-
SSEM-
BLED
WHILE
ON
WATCH

:chiefsay: Hello, Quarterdeck? I'd like to report a murder.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I don't think my wife has laughed this hard since the first time she saw my dick.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

SUN'S
OUT
GUNS
OUT
DISA-
SSEM-
BLED
WHILE
ON
WATCH

As much as it makes me an rear end in a top hat, I laughed.

Thanks for linking the relevant NAVADMINS though, that'll be handy. I also have a meeting Friday with our CMEO staffers to discuss this because seriously, poo poo feels like I can't do anything to make this jackass happy. And now they're actively sabotaging my career.

I've also been advised to request Captains Mast. That will probably happen. I've overheard said jackass saying that if I want to see the old man the counseling chits come out. I freely admit I hosed up and said some dumb poo poo, got fired from a (meaningless) lpo position temporarily, and am working to redeem myself regarding said gently caress up. I'm not too worried about the chit because I'm not afraid to own up to my mistakes and take my beatings as I deserve. But it doesn't surprise me he'd say/do some petty poo poo like that. Never mind that the chit is now 3 or 4 months old and I'm living daily with the consequences of my dumbass choice of words.

It still drives me nuts that LCPO/SEL had the audacity to say "Now don't take this personally..."

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Lol there's students walking around in PTU up in here. I can't imagine looking so ridiculous.

Edit: holy poo poo we are waiting for an amateur wrestling match to start and I think my wife might be the only female in the audience that isn't pregnant I love this country.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 3, 2018

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Lol there's students walking around in PTU up in here. I can't imagine looking so ridiculous.

Edit: holy poo poo we are waiting for an amateur wrestling match to start and I think my wife might be the only female in the audience that isn't pregnant I love this country.
Why would they do that? I wear my PTU exactly three times a week when I'm required to for group pt.

I did have to wear the top to a volunteer event yesterday, but I was also getting paid in steak for that.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I wear my shorts sometimes when I workout

I’m not in anymore

They’re the fancier new balance ones

🤷🏽‍♀️

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

Go to your OIC then. Your SEL doesn't have denial authority.

Thronde posted:

Hahahahahahah my LDO test chit just got denied. But I was told it wasn't personal.

Noooo don’t be an LDO. Every LDO I’ve met has been garbage. Though every LDO I’ve met were also Bosuns so....

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I wear my shorts sometimes when I workout

I’m not in anymore

They’re the fancier new balance ones

🤷🏽‍♀️

I wear my silkies when I race. They're fun.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

oh I’m all about my daisy dukes

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Thronde posted:

2 signatures and the CO--where's LPO, LCPO, DLCPO, CCC, DIVO, DH and/or XO/CSO? What rank is your CO?

Genuine questions, I don't really know your situation.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Any fuckface denying you taking the test early for LDO is a loving piece of garbage and everything wrong with the navy. I don't know your exact situation and your exact command but meeting the goddamn TIR is literally the only thing I would look at for that chit. Like someone said earlier let the loving board decide you're not ready, not a bunch of shitheads that are angry at you for calling them cunts or whatever. Man gently caress Navy leadership.

Edit: I probably shouldn't be posting and am irate at things because my Dad and Brother almost got killed today by a loving idiot looking at her phone on the highway but I feel like my feelings are entirely valid here. Goddammit I'm angry for you my Navy bro.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

piL posted:

2 signatures and the CO--where's LPO, LCPO, DLCPO, CCC, DIVO, DH and/or XO/CSO? What rank is your CO?

Genuine questions, I don't really know your situation.

Small Det unit, OIC, SEL, LCPO/LPO in one. LCPO approved, chief and OIC feel I'm "not ready" to take the test.

I'm working the issue, I have the option to request mast over this and I'm obviously considering it. The one counseling I've had because I screwed up will come out. I'll (again) own up to it as I have in the past. But I fail to see how I'm not ready to take a loving advancement exam.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Is your command small enough where you can just informally ask the captain if you should request mast over it? Because it definitely sounds like you need to escalate this. The OIC being your LCPO is hosed up from a organizational prospective. But I don’t if there are a dozen O-3s and 4s between you and him, or if your command being as understaffed as it is you can just ask him. Or ask whoever is above your OIC.

And you can escalate even further, and if they double down on being dicks there’s a national level reporting chain designed to prevent retaliation from above.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
lol your det is hella lovely.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

lol your det is hella lovely.

Or average considering it's a CRS.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

Or average considering it's a CRS.

Pretty much. Our LCPO is E6. SEL is a first year BMC (I have more time as a first), Oic is LCDR. We have a CO once a month (loving reserves over active. Really?) and he's a full bird.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Going on my first AT this weekend in Yokosuka since transferring to reserves. Anything I should know beforehand, stuff I need to bring, places to see, etc?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gray Matter posted:

Going on my first AT this weekend in Yokosuka since transferring to reserves. Anything I should know beforehand, stuff I need to bring, places to see, etc?

You are only there for a week or 2, don't loving rape or stab any locals.

Curfew is curfew, don't get caught in the Honch after curfew, it's the quickest way to get busted down.

That said, you're likely to be busy as gently caress.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 5, 2018

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Gray Matter posted:

Go to Belgium House Brews and get to know Mohan. He's the owner and an awesome guy. Bit expensive, but the food is decent (Med/Belgium food) and he is the exclusive importer for a lot of Belgium beer. Old Man Chuu-Hai stand is another place that you might get pulled off to.

But yeah, you'll be super busy. Go up to Kamakura for a day if you have the chance. Really pretty place to just walk around, and the signs all have roman lettering.

Other wise, be polite to the locals. Don't let the girls in the Honch make you buy them drinks. That gets pricey real quick.

Maybe bring a nice camera, but that's only if you plan on visiting places. Otherwise, have cash. Yokosuka is better then other places for taking credit cards, but Japan does still love its cash. You can also get Yen from the base at the community bank ATMs.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Reservists on AT when I was in Japan were always working 12-16 hour days, distressing as that is.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Base club in yoko has plenty of cheap beer and plenty of locals.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Edit: drink beer and chu hais at a yakitori place so that you have chicken on a stick as required.

piL fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 5, 2018

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Take it slow on the Chuhai. It's a lot stronger than it tastes and it sorta sneaks up on you.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
love too stand watch during fireworks at san diego

a drunk civilian tried to get me to wear some glowy headgear so that was cool

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Thronde posted:

The thing that pisses me off for you is that he/she knows that this is unacceptable and is just hoping you won't push the issue.

I have a chit somewhere from 2004 that I kept while I was at 29 Palms. Chief tried to bottom line it and said no and handed it back to me. I took it straight to the OIC, who actually did have the authority to bottom line it because our CO was physically stationed at Camp Pendleton. I happened to be on duty that night and they stayed in the clinic and argued about it until 9:30 PM and I could hear everything they were saying. She kept telling him over and over he can't do that and he tried to convince her for hours (she was an O6 by the way) that he could do whatever he wanted with his sailors and if she said yes to my request he would just go behind her and tell me I wasn't allowed and get me NJP'd for disobeying his order.

We were allowed to leave the front desk and go to the duty room at 9, so at 9:30 I made it even more awkward by popping in and saying I was heading to bed and to leave a note when they were done so I could log them out. She knew I was on duty but he didn't, boy did his face get red. I think he almost burst a vein in his forehead. He didn't say anything though. Magically in the morning when I came back out, his name was scratched out at the bottom and re-signed in the proper place and he checked recommended for approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is why I loved my first BMC. I called him up on the day i was leaving to go take a test or something for a college program and commission from the quarterdeck on my way out. I was like “chief, i’m leaving to go do x.” He said “why the gently caress would you want to do that, nice?” I told him i was trying to accelerate my life (this was 2007) and he just laughed his rear end off before saying get the gently caress on then and hung up on me.