Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
I, Nighttheii, Oath for July:
10 Primaris Intercessors and 3 Inceptors - Games Workshop
2 mushroom spawn points, 2 giant mushrooms, 8 little shrooms, and 4 truffle pigs - Super Dungeon Explore
Barnabas, Lord of Blood and 3 Bone Shakers - Privateer Press

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath to paint, magnetize, and base two GW Sydonian Dragoons and all their weapon options.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

An extremely dark oath of 1 Armiger Helverin, 5 Necron Immortals, and 3 Kataphron Destroyers

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I, grassy gnoll, oath this Anitpode pack, one Tankhunter, and two Spetznaz, from Infinity by Corvus Belli in28mm, for the month of July

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Hello ye judges -

A couple of questions before I next oath (and not claiming either this month):

(1) So for Rescue Ranger I was considering in a future month updating up the figure I completed last month. In the sunlight they look better than the pictures I posted in terms of color, but also show off the crap paint job from rushing last month:

This isn’t a case where I’d want to strip the figure and re-do, but instead would build on what I started. I still like the concept and the color scheme and he’ll be a central display figure so it’s easily a month of work for me. But would that make this mini too ‘far along’ for Rescue Ranger?

(2) For Spic and Span I have a more ‘mobile’ setup, and go from clean to mess to clean back again several times in a month. For example here’s how my setup looks from clean to mess:

Uncluttered painting board on mobile table:

Getting started on painting, note the clamps holding the board down.

In the midst of some painting…

But when I need to clean up I just put everything away and end up back at square 1, usually a few times a month.

Would that story count as ‘Spic and Span’?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I, Pyrolocutus, oath an Adze. This is a Malifaux Neverborn model from Wyrd Miniatures.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath one Rocky Outcrop for the month of July

That blob of green styrofoam on the left is what I'm calling the 'Rocky Outcrop' and I'll be using additional materials from the pile left of that:

Claiming Getting Back to Nature this month and looking forward to some terrain work.

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I, Arson Fire, oath five Custodian Guard (Games Workshop, 28mm) for July.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I, KingMob, Oath for July

1 Death Guard Rhino, GW, 28mm

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I Weirdo oath six figures from Stonehaven miniatures for the month of July. They are listed as Great Tortoise, Halfling Psychic, Swan Animal Companion, Kobold Bard, Gremlin Sharpshooter, and Modron Mechanical Paladin.

Big ups to Stonehaven who accidentally gave me someone else's kickstarter minis, but told me to keep the extras after sending me the correct ones :toot:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
For July I oath a giant plant monster and a little plant monster
Mierce Miniatures

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I, The Moon Monster, oath 2 Nightmare Coryphee by Wyrd for the month of July

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I, Zark the Damned, oath the following for July 2018:

1 Treeman, 28mm from Stonehaven Miniatures
1 Mage, 28mm from Crusader Miniatures
7 Apprentices, 28mm from Midlam Miniatures
1 Apprentice, 28mm from RPE Miniatures
1 Familiar, 28mm from RPE Miniatures

RPE stuff isn't undercoated yet.

Before pictures for Spic & Span (second one for timestamp):

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 7, 2018

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

gameraMan posted:

(1) So for Rescue Ranger I was considering in a future month updating up the figure I completed last month. In the sunlight they look better than the pictures I posted in terms of color, but also show off the crap paint job from rushing last month ... This isn’t a case where I’d want to strip the figure and re-do, but instead would build on what I started. I still like the concept and the color scheme and he’ll be a central display figure so it’s easily a month of work for me. But would that make this mini too ‘far along’ for Rescue Ranger?

(2) For Spic and Span I have a more ‘mobile’ setup, and go from clean to mess to clean back again several times in a month. ...

But when I need to clean up I just put everything away and end up back at square 1, usually a few times a month.

Would that story count as ‘Spic and Span’?

Yes to both.

For Spic and Span it'd probably be best to take pics of your mess progress as your 'before' would likely be as neat as your 'after' :D

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Nighttheii posted:

2 mushroom spawn points, 2 giant mushrooms, 8 little shrooms, and 4 truffle pigs - Super Dungeon Explore

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath to paint, magnetize, and base two GW Sydonian Dragoons and all their weapon options.

Corrode posted:

An extremely dark oath of 1 Armiger Helverin, 5 Necron Immortals, and 3 Kataphron Destroyers

grassy gnoll posted:

I, grassy gnoll, oath this Anitpode pack, one Tankhunter, and two Spetznaz, from Infinity by Corvus Belli in28mm, for the month of July

Pyrolocutus posted:

I, Pyrolocutus, oath an Adze. This is a Malifaux Neverborn model from Wyrd Miniatures.

gameraMan posted:

I, gameraMan, oath one Rocky Outcrop for the month of July

That blob of green styrofoam on the left is what I'm calling the 'Rocky Outcrop' and I'll be using additional materials from the pile left of that:

Claiming Getting Back to Nature this month and looking forward to some terrain work.

Arson Fire posted:

I, Arson Fire, oath five Custodian Guard (Games Workshop, 28mm) for July.

KingMob posted:

I, KingMob, Oath for July

1 Death Guard Rhino, GW, 28mm

Weirdo posted:

I Weirdo oath six figures from Stonehaven miniatures for the month of July. They are listed as Great Tortoise, Halfling Psychic, Swan Animal Companion, Kobold Bard, Gremlin Sharpshooter, and Modron Mechanical Paladin.

Big ups to Stonehaven who accidentally gave me someone else's kickstarter minis, but told me to keep the extras after sending me the correct ones :toot:

Red Shoe posted:

For July I oath a giant plant monster and a little plant monster
Mierce Miniatures

The Moon Monster posted:

I, The Moon Monster, oath 2 Nightmare Coryphee by Wyrd for the month of July

Zark the Damned posted:

I, Zark the Damned, oath the following for July 2018:

1 Treeman, 28mm from Stonehaven Miniatures
1 Mage, 28mm from Crusader Miniatures
7 Apprentices, 28mm from Midlam Miniatures
1 Apprentice, 28mm from RPE Miniatures
1 Familiar, 28mm from RPE Miniatures

RPE stuff isn't undercoated yet.

Before pictures for Spic & Span (second one for timestamp):

Approved!

I'm on with the June Gallery now, should be up soon.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK - Gallery is up - https://imgur.com/a/ytJ9zv8

Go check your stuff is there and I'll get it submitted to the Judges sometime after next weekend (I'll be away over the weekend so it'll likely be Monday or Tuesday).

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

For my sins, I, LazyAngel, Oath for July, one Dwarf Endrinmaster, and 5 Thunderers, all by GW

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I Ugleb, having failed last month's oath miserably due to unexpectedly heavy amounts of coursework :argh:, do hereby oath for the month of July; The Enchantress & five objective markers (Contraband, Wayne Tech, Medical Supplies & 2x Ace Chemicals drums) for Batman Miniatures Game. 35mm scale by Knight models.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I Raphus C oath for July: 3 Stormboyz, 2 Kommando Nobz, 2 Boyz(all GW, 28mm)and 8 movement trays:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I, Booyah, oath for July:
- 1 skitarii ranger
- 1 blue horror
- The pictured genestealer cult family (2 neophyte hybrids, 1 acolyte hybrid, and 1 purestrain genestealer)

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 9, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint for July

8 Forge Father Valkyrs, 1 Forge Father Iron Ancestor, 6 wooden fences, 2 signposts, 2 defensive stakes, and 2 hedge rows by Mantic (28mm)

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
I, TheFinalTuba, oath to paint 3 Keisotsu for Infinity.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Oath complete:

Nothing for the monthly challenge unless this rock I used to decorate the movement trace counts:

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Oath Complete

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

Nighttheii posted:

Oath Complete:

I learned that printing my own decals is even more annoying than anticipated.

Claiming Back to Nature on the Mushrooms and stumps.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Additional oath! A mercenary enforcer.
Corvus Belli.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Additional oath! Gremlin swordsman, gremlin shooter, and jackalope (all 28mm, Stonehaven). Zenithal primed with some white to patch where the prime rubbed off.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I, Ilor, do oath these two WW2 British 2-lb anti-tank guns and crews for the month of July! (28mm Perry Miniatures)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
June Judgements! egad i'm running so behind

First Place, 3 points: Corrode

Both of your models this month have impressive color palettes, muted yet bright in the right places to draw focus. While the Chaos dude is more in line with the Jurnal theme, it's the robut and its dynamic action pose that really catches my eye.

Second Place, 2 points: The Moon Monster

Nice catch! Also very vibrant and eye-catching colors with subtle gradients, and excellent use of contrast on the edges of every armor panel and fin spine. The piece has a texture to it that leaps off the screen.

Third Place, 1 point: Duct Tape

An excellent example of red done well (which can be tough). The overall look is slightly dull as fits Martian camouflage, but highlighted with hints of a more fiery red, set off nicely by the bright turquoise plasma glow.

Bonus Point: Galaspar

These models embody the bare-skin challenge exceptionally well. All these poxwalkers have a sallow, unhealthy look to the flesh, with disgusting pustules and bruises...and yet it all looks natural. You've placed desaturated skin colors next to dark (but purer) clothing colors for contrast, which helps the flesh tones stand out even more. Great stuff.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I, bonds0097, oath to paint a Deathwatch Veteran with a big gently caress-off hammer by Games Workshop, 28mm

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Bonus Point: Galaspar

Thanks! I'm quite proud of those guys. I've painted some revolting things in the last couple of years, but they are probably the foulest. Never used Casandora Yellow shade much before, it's fantastic stuff.

My wife can't bear to look at them, so that's a win in my book.

EDIT: Also for July I, Galaspar, oath five Chaos Cultists

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 21, 2018

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

Oath Complete

Claiming jurnal for the rich and luscious foliage and mud. Can you spot the moment where the cloud cover changed while I was taking my photos?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

LazyAngel posted:

For my sins, I, LazyAngel, Oath for July, one Dwarf Endrinmaster, and 5 Thunderers, all by GW

Ugleb posted:

I Ugleb, having failed last month's oath miserably due to unexpectedly heavy amounts of coursework :argh:, do hereby oath for the month of July; The Enchantress & five objective markers (Contraband, Wayne Tech, Medical Supplies & 2x Ace Chemicals drums) for Batman Miniatures Game. 35mm scale by Knight models.

Raphus C posted:

I Raphus C oath for July: 3 Stormboyz, 2 Kommando Nobz, 2 Boyz(all GW, 28mm)and 8 movement trays:

Booyah- posted:

I, Booyah, oath for July:
- 1 skitarii ranger
- 1 blue horror
- The pictured genestealer cult family (2 neophyte hybrids, 1 acolyte hybrid, and 1 purestrain genestealer)

NTRabbit posted:

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint for July

8 Forge Father Valkyrs, 1 Forge Father Iron Ancestor, 6 wooden fences, 2 signposts, 2 defensive stakes, and 2 hedge rows by Mantic (28mm)

TheFinalTuba posted:

I, TheFinalTuba, oath to paint 3 Keisotsu for Infinity.

Red Shoe posted:

Additional oath! A mercenary enforcer.
Corvus Belli.

Weirdo posted:

Additional oath! Gremlin swordsman, gremlin shooter, and jackalope (all 28mm, Stonehaven). Zenithal primed with some white to patch where the prime rubbed off.

Ilor posted:

I, Ilor, do oath these two WW2 British 2-lb anti-tank guns and crews for the month of July! (28mm Perry Miniatures)

bonds0097 posted:

I, bonds0097, oath to paint a Deathwatch Veteran with a big gently caress-off hammer by Games Workshop, 28mm

Galaspar posted:

Thanks! I'm quite proud of those guys. I've painted some revolting things in the last couple of years, but they are probably the foulest. Never used Casandora Yellow shade much before, it's fantastic stuff.

My wife can't bear to look at them, so that's a win in my book.

EDIT: Also for July I, Galaspar, oath five Chaos Cultists

Approved! Sorry for the delay, I ended up being a darn site busier than I thought I would be after getting back from abroad.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:kingsley:June judgement!:kingsley:

Third place, 1 point: Duct Tape

A pretty standard color scheme, but well executed and nicely detailed. Everything looks 3 dimensional and the edge highlight are good.

Second place, 2 points: Booyah

Really good black on Magore and his friends. Nice red and metals as well.

First place, 3 points: The Moon Monster

Lovely color choices, clear and clean with an underwater feel to it. OSL looks great.

Bonus, 1 point: The Moon Monster

Like I said, the OSL looks great.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Judgmental June

Third place, 1 point: Duct Tape

Good solid reds, nice detailing, and you really got your glowy bits to pop - they look almost fluorescent. I'd like to see this model with some weathering effects and maybe an oil wash to make it maximally Warhammy.

Second place, 2 points: Nighttheii

I love me some monsters, and these are a wide variety of colors and textures to render out. The frog dude is especially nice.

First place, 3 points: Red Shoe

I think these are all excellent paint jobs, but what really sold me was the middle Yuan Yuan. The jet of flame and the keg are just wonderfully done. The purple worm and the carrion crawler are also appropriately disgusting as well as all about exposed (monstrous) skin for the jurnal challenge.

Bonus point: Mikey Purp

This is going to start rough, but it gets better, I promise.

I'm not a big fan of the stone texturing on this paint job. I think maybe your wash was a little too harsh on the flatter surfaces, although it works well for the crevasses. All that said, this isn't just a nice OSL job; what I love about this is the attention you paid to your light sourcing. You've got a model with some pretty complex geometry, but you've done a superlative job making sure that two (!) separate light sources are accurately casting highlights across the piece. The shoulders and the knuckles of the mini's right hand are particular favorites. Theme-wise, I feel like this is the strongest piece of the month.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Dr. Gargunza posted:

June Judgements! egad i'm running so behind

First Place, 3 points: Corrode

Both of your models this month have impressive color palettes, muted yet bright in the right places to draw focus. While the Chaos dude is more in line with the Jurnal theme, it's the robut and its dynamic action pose that really catches my eye.

Thanks! That's awesome :)

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

grassy gnoll posted:

Bonus point: Mikey Purp

This is going to start rough, but it gets better, I promise.

I'm not a big fan of the stone texturing on this paint job. I think maybe your wash was a little too harsh on the flatter surfaces, although it works well for the crevasses. All that said, this isn't just a nice OSL job; what I love about this is the attention you paid to your light sourcing. You've got a model with some pretty complex geometry, but you've done a superlative job making sure that two (!) separate light sources are accurately casting highlights across the piece. The shoulders and the knuckles of the mini's right hand are particular favorites. Theme-wise, I feel like this is the strongest piece of the month.

Wow thanks so much! I appreciate the feedback and fwiw I 100% agree with you about the texturing on the stone. I started off with one coat of nuln oil which was pretty good, but then got overzealous with a coat of agrax which muddied it up a bunch. I spent a while after that trying to correct my mistake and ended up over applying washes as a result.

In any case, lessons learned!

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

grassy gnoll posted:

Second place, 2 points: Nighttheii

I love me some monsters, and these are a wide variety of colors and textures to render out. The frog dude is especially nice.

I appreciate the kind words! It's a new army and aesthetic for me, so it's been a lot of fun to experiment.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Electric Hobo posted:

Second place, 2 points: Booyah

Really good black on Magore and his friends. Nice red and metals as well.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

bonds0097 posted:

Oath Complete

There are none who adhere to the Codex Astartes more rigorously than the Hammers of Dorn. Brother Kladivo is no exception, and never leaves the Watch Fortress without his copy. Even if he does occasionally have to put it down for some face-smashing.

EDIT: Added username to photos.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 29, 2018