Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'm so opposed to canon I treat each frame of a movie as a separate and discrete entity. Soon I will become so powerful I will see each pixel in each frame as an cosmos unto itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

OctoberCountry posted:

"Canon" has never been anything but a marketing scam.

How is it a scam? What's wrong with telling more than one story in the same continuity?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

How is it a scam? What's wrong with telling more than one story in the same continuity?

Nothing. But if you take it too seriously it means they got you. As in they want to buy the canon books, watch the canon shows, get the canon toys, all to get the full picture.

It’s one thing to have a single solid story that runs through a series, but it’s another to make you seek out outside material to understand the full picture.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Kinda like making you seek out Episode VIII to continue the story from Episode VII? The canon materials aren't "outside". They're all Star Wars

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

jivjov posted:

I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but if you are I like the gimmick keep it up

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

Kinda like making you seek out Episode VIII to continue the story from Episode VII? The canon materials aren't "outside". They're all Star Wars

One Star Wars is mainstream the other is for the hardest of the hardcore fanatics.

They have the name Star Wars but most people ain’t gonna buy the story about Poe Dameron farting at a wedding.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

CelticPredator posted:

They were making fun of you because the books are trash and no one but hard cores read that stuff.

Yes.

Those who post pages of analysis in the Star Wars thread about Star Wars are not in fact hard cores.

It is the children who watch Rebels because it's a fun cartoon.

They must be hated.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Natural 20 posted:

It is the children who watch Rebels because it's a fun cartoon.

Not true Star Wars fans, obviously. At the very least, they don't understand that they actually hate the cartoon and are just pretending to enjoy it reflexively. Obviously.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Rebels is alright. Between it and the short lived but quality TRON cartoon a few years ago Disney has actually had a pretty okay run of making television spinoffs of their sci-fi properties.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

Reginald Val Johnson is black...

Edit: And that kid he shot? Inuit.

This is why sociopolitical context is important.

A cop shoots a kid in downtown LA, 1988, for ‘having something in his hand’. What race is the kid? Why is Sgt. Powell specifically broken up about it enough to almost quit the force, yet has received no other repercussions for his ‘mistake’? (Going into the specific themes of the film, the youngest character in the conflict is of course the heroic Argyle - the limo driver.)

In TLJ, Kylo Ren is specifically striving to be like Vader - specifically trying to finish what Vader started. As established earlier, Vader’s goal was to end the injustice of the Republic-Empire and free the slaves.

To prevent Kylo from being the unambiguous hero of the film, I guess, he is written as all too human - struggling to resist the various temptations the universe offers up. People are promising him a job, a happy family, a girlfriend, etc. - all if he gives up his devotion to Christ. This is what is meant by ‘seduction by the light’, and he is not very good at avoiding it. His is a hardcore fundamentalist approach, which is why he falls in with Snoke - but it’s also why he is also able to overcome Snoke.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Timby posted:

Holy, holy, holy gently caress, bitching about droid rights is more readable than pages of litigating Luke Skywalker's actions.

Wellya dontknow watya GOT..... 'til its gaww-nn~

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Quit picking on jivjov.

Slutitution posted:

gently caress Jar Jar Binks, though.

Jar Jar Binks is a hero.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Bongo Bill posted:

Quit picking on jivjov.

Jar Jar Binks is a hero.

By the livin’ Force that made you,
You’re a better man than I am, Jar Jar!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

Quit picking on jivjov.

Jar Jar Binks is a hero.

And a bad senator

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bongo Bill posted:

Quit picking on jivjov..

I’m not. But I don’t want him to get mad fun of but not get it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The most important and relevant thing is that the name Sheev is hilarious and rules, and should always be used.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Agreed so much.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Do you think it's short for "Sheeven"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I'd say it can be, but his parents specifically named him "Sheev Palpatine"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Fun fact: Sheev was formerly the Naboo equivalent of a stock-car racer

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Clevin Pastatine

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked it better when his name was Frank.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

K. Waste posted:

Fandom is a mental disorder.
It's literally short for fanatic.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

josh04 posted:

I'd say it can be, but his parents specifically named him "Sheev Palpatine"

Sheev Palpatine, Emperor of the Galatic Empire, Supreme Chancellor of the Galatic Republic, Senator for Naboo, Darth Sidious of the Dark Lords of the Sith.

Just his obvious titles are :allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

RBA Starblade posted:

And a bad senator

That's kind of the point. He starts off as a goofy but innocent characters and ends up a corrupt politician like any other. The republic (and our heroes) corrupted him.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's kind of the point. He starts off as a goofy but innocent characters and ends up a corrupt politician like any other. The republic (and our heroes) corrupted him.

The problem is that "be a Senator" (ie, be given an influential job in the Republic) is the only way they can imagine someone being helped.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Is there some sort of Google Alert I can set for when the internet decides that The Last Jedi is a really, really good movie and I can just read about how rad it is all day?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Is there some sort of Google Alert I can set for when the internet decides that The Last Jedi is a really, really good movie and I can just read about how rad it is all day?

No, you're going to have to hold out for the catharsis of the third act of the ST. And all the arguing over if that was good, etc.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Google can't help you. Last Jedi is merely decent, better than Force Awakens, but only barely.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

And a bad senator

Binks is actually insanely good at being senator, which becomes a problem when his unrequited love for Padme makes the Seperatists into his enemy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

If I have to do the work of telling people that the prequels are good, you have to do the work of telling people that The Last Jedi is good.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Blood Boils posted:

Google can't help you. Last Jedi is merely decent, better than Force Awakens, but only barely.
Nah, I'm pretty sure that The Last Jedi is a live action Miyazaki movie that has a pretty nuanced view of forgiveness and the difference between destruction and rebirth.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

You’ll be waiting forever because that will never happen.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
it's going to really funny when Episode 9 comes out

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure that The Last Jedi is a live action Miyazaki movie that has a pretty nuanced view of forgiveness and the difference between destruction and rebirth.

Ok: what are the nuances of forgiveness? What is the difference between destruction and rebirth?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Binks is actually insanely good at being senator, which becomes a problem when his unrequited love for Padme makes the Seperatists into his enemy.

I think it works better if his love for her is actually totally pure and selfless, not even romantic.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Quote-Unquote posted:

The actor that played Jar Jar Binks considered suicide after getting so much hate mail (including death threats for "ruining a childhood")

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44708983

Imagine being that angry about a children's movie about space wizards that you'd threaten someone's life lol

Patton Oswalt had a long, horribly unfunny bit about how he wanted to beat George Lucas to death with a shovel because of JarJar Binks.
Star Wars fans have always been toxic shits.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

wyoming posted:

Patton Oswalt had a long, horribly unfunny bit about how he wanted to beat George Lucas to death with a shovel because of JarJar Binks.

At least that's directed toward the actual creator/writer of the character instead of the actor (not that I condone death threat-style "comedy")

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

wyoming posted:

That bit is great (you see, he doesn't actually want to beat GL to death with a shovel). I think the billionaire capitalist scumbag can take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

At least that's directed toward the actual creator/writer of the character instead of the actor (not that I condone death threat-style "comedy")

why does that make it better