Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

I bought Yakuza for this very reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, I played Deadly Premonition. It's a great game, but the gameplay is horrendous.

It’s a loving amazing game. I knew it was special when the protagonist and I were having a real loving conversation while driving. Me as the player conversing with the game character. Holy poo poo. I wish I could experience it again for the first time.

(I still use Life is Beautiful as an alarm. :unsmith:)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Fifteen of Many posted:

Could I get a few “must play” recommendations from across the PS4 library? New owner with Bloodbourne, Until Dawn and Arkham Knight but don’t really know enough about the back catalogue to choose wisely.

MGSV
Yakuza 0
Nioh
Dark Souls 3
Hitman
Hellblade

Doctor Zero posted:

I don't think I could do this because I'd grow to hate the song by association.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 5, 2018

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Fifteen of Many posted:

Could I get a few “must play” recommendations from across the PS4 library? New owner with Bloodbourne, Until Dawn and Arkham Knight but don’t really know enough about the back catalogue to choose wisely.

Knack

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Doctor Zero posted:

It’s a loving amazing game. I knew it was special when the protagonist and I were having a real loving conversation while driving. Me as the player conversing with the game character. Holy poo poo. I wish I could experience it again for the first time.

Playing Dale Cooper driving around Twin Peaks and interacting with the residents. :allears:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I loved playing Deadly Premonition. I own like 4 copies of it (US 360, Asian English PS3, US PS3, PC) and have played through all of them 100% (except for PC which never boots for some reason?)

I'm sad that SWERY really hasn't been able to capture that kind of weird magic consistently since then. D4 is dead, that Deadly Premonition 2 tease at the end of Director's Cut will probably never amount to anything, and I'm just not that excited for The Good Life.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 5, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It must be nuts to be just starting playing the PS4 in this glorious time in its life.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

...! posted:

I seriously thought you were at least 50.

Those of you saying Deadly Premonition is no fun to play: have you ever played it? There's a little bit of jankiness to get used to but otherwise it's a blast to play. I play through it at least once every couple of years. I love experiencing the Japanese take on Twin Peaks firsthand and I couldn't imagine just watching someone else play it.

I couldn't even get past the first par tin the forest. The action parts completely ruined that game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Let's plays are great when you're a poor teenager without a job or allowance interested in games on systems you'll probably never get. I had a GameCube and a DS growing up but Sly Cooper and ratchet and Clank still looked cool so I took a look at those using lets play.

I don't get how you guys have zero time to possibly devote to possibly watch any footage of a game like that. Like just, instead of watching a movie or an episode of Game of Thrones or something you put on Weedlord Bonerhitler doing a Deprived no bonfire run of Dark Souls or whatever.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It must be nuts to be just starting playing the PS4 in this glorious time in its life.

As someone who's been Xbox-only since the 360 came out and just purchased a PS4 a few months ago to play God of War and HZD, yeah it's been pretty incredible. And as a side effect I now know the glory of Yakuza.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

ShakeZula posted:

As someone who's been Xbox-only since the 360 came out and just purchased a PS4 a few months ago to play God of War and HZD, yeah it's been pretty incredible. And as a side effect I now know the glory of Yakuza.

Welcome to where the exclusives hid this gen. Bloodborne goes on sale often. Get it for cheap when that happens.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I told myself I’d just get a dozen games on sale during e3 and coast on them till Black Friday, but that plan has gone into the trash. Did they have this many constant sales in previous years?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I told myself I’d just get a dozen games on sale during e3 and coast on them till Black Friday, but that plan has gone into the trash. Did they have this many constant sales in previous years?

Flash sales are pretty frequent. Big sales happen multiple times a year. I dont buy games unless it's an exciting day 1 buy or on sale.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fifteen of Many posted:

Anything is cool - I haven’t bought a game since like 2015 a) to focus on clearing my steam library and b) because my pc is getting up there and has trouble with some of the last few years worth of games. Interested in anything people enjoy!

Imo start with Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War if you are used to playing old games. There are a ton of other good PS4 games but those ones are the two that are the most impressive to look at on the system you just bought by a mile, and they both happen to also be really good games.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ agreed with veni. Horizon and God of War are totally essential. also the game I’m about to talk about:

I did endings C/D/E of NieR: Automata (not helped the weak yet though cos I wanna do more stuff first) and I would like to request people reply to this with their favourite articles or posts about the game and story. I really need to devour every single piece of writing I can on this please and thank you

Longer post coming later when it’s not 6 in the goddamn morning

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Check out VG's big post when he finished NieR a while ago and all the responses to it. It's good.

My favourite fun fact - the lyrics to the songs are nonsense and not in any real language. NieR owns.

And pretty much any article on the music is worthwhile.

Also, plus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDL3Q86ofY

el oso fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 5, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

^^^^ agreed with veni. Horizon and God of War are totally essential. also the game I’m about to talk about :

I did endings C/D/E of NieR: Automata (not helped the weak yet though cos I wanna do more stuff first) and I would like to request people reply to this with their favourite articles or posts about the game and story. I really need to devour every single piece of writing I can on this please and thank you

Welcome Nierdowell

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

I don't get how you guys have zero time to possibly devote to possibly watch any footage of a game like that. Like just, instead of watching a movie or an episode of Game of Thrones or something you put on Weedlord Bonerhitler doing a Deprived no bonfire run of Dark Souls or whatever.

Lots of people watch tv and movies with their SOs. Lots of people would rather watch something they’ve seen before with someone they love than watch someone else play a video game alone.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Steve Yun posted:

Add God of War to that and maybe MGSV if you’re a Kojimaboo

i think MGSV is probably gonna be better if you arent invested in ~the lore~ since i get the impression that a lot of complaints about the game were based in story expectations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno, I am a total Kojumbophile and I loved it despite its incompleteness because I knew the backstage drama and didn’t hold it against the game

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Let's plays are great when you're a poor teenager without a job or allowance interested in games on systems you'll probably never get. I had a GameCube and a DS growing up but Sly Cooper and ratchet and Clank still looked cool so I took a look at those using lets play.

When I was a teenager we did not have LPs and there was no youtube yet. Honestly, I had few games and I spent a lot of time doing other things like go outside and poo poo. You don't habe to know every single game out there, it doesn't make for good conversation in RL anyway. In fact, as somebody pointed out, opinions about a game based on a LP don't really count beyond I'll buy this/seems not for me.

There are 2 reason to watch small parts of a LP in my opinion: If you are stuck in a game
or if you want to know if it is worth buying and there is no demo.

Otherwise you are just wasting time you could use to play (other) games yourself. And watching because of the personality of the streamer is also weird to me, I'd rather use the time to hang out with friends than watch some rando on youtube.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno, I am a total Kojumbophile and I loved it despite its incompleteness because I knew the backstage drama and didn’t hold it against the game

I feel like it's ok to to acknowledge that I despise it as an MGS game, and I'm even really mixed on it as an open world game, but I enjoyed playing it a lot for over 50 hours. It's a pure love/hate game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

^^^^ agreed with veni. Horizon and God of War are totally essential. also the game I’m about to talk about :

I can’t recall specifics but I googled variants of “reddit nier automata analysis” and found some interesting takes and deep dives.

It’s a lot to unpack isn’t it? Game is so good.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Before I bought PS4 Pro in like March I've never owned a Playstation (or any other) console. I played here and there with my cousins who were always Playstation fan boys so I got to enjoy the likes of the first Silent Hill in a completely dark room after my parents already went to sleep. Yeah, I'll never forget the school level.

Since then I went through a decent amount of games and after looking hard at the state of my Steam account I swore to only ever play one game at a time and finish it (as long as I enjoy it, of course). It served me well, got through Yakuza 0/Kiwami, Nier: Automata, all the mainline Uncharteds, Shadow of the Colossus. There are still a few games that I had to put in the "play a bit in between other games" category because they just take so long or I only ever enjoy them in small amounts, e.g. Bloodborne, GT Sport, Monster Hunter World, Wipeout Omega Collection.

I am absolutely stoked about Kiwami 2, Spider-Man, God of War, and I'll probably play Detroit at some point. The future is looking bright with Sekiro, The Last of Us 2 and Ghosts of Tsushima. Hell, I'll probably buy and play Death Stranding, too, because if nothing else it will be a unique experience. Which reminds me I've never played Metal Gear Solid game before, not including like an hour of Revengeance.

PS4 is good, you guys.

fake edit: I also probably won't buy anything in the current sale either, unless it's Celeste because it doesn't have a physical version. I gotta keep my backlog on a tight leash!

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 5, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

lordfrikk posted:

Which reminds me I've never played Metal Gear Solid game before,

Do you have a PS3? Because the Metal Gear Legacy Collection is one of the greatest game anthologies ever. It spans all the way from MSX/NES to the PS3 and is as much a walk through video game history as it is about Metal Gear.

Edit: should be $25 now

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 5, 2018

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I watch twitch frequently, its great. I dont watch much tv so when the conversation in my office turns to "season 2 of westworld is poo poo" i can't take part but thats a trade I'm happy to make.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Steve Yun posted:

Do you have a PS3? Because the Metal Gear Legacy Collection is one of the greatest game anthologies ever. It spans all the way from MSX/NES to the PS3 and is as much a walk through video game history as it is about Metal Gear.

Seconding this. Play the series in release order with maybe the MSX games thrown in. The Metal Gear series is interesting in that each game in the 3D series is incredibly distinct in terms of atmosphere, story, and gameplay but they all tend to share themes. And I could credibly make an argument for each entry being the best in the series for different reasons. For me they're second only to Mario games for reminding me why I play games in the first place.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CrRoMa posted:

I watch twitch frequently, its great. I dont watch much tv so when the conversation in my office turns to "season 2 of westworld is poo poo" i can't take part but thats a trade I'm happy to make.

I wouldn’t want to talk to those terrible people either so I can’t blame you

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

el oso posted:

Check out VG's big post when he finished NieR a while ago and all the responses to it. It's good.

My favourite fun fact - the lyrics to the songs are nonsense and not in any real language. NieR owns.

And pretty much any article on the music is worthwhile.

Also, plus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDL3Q86ofY

Emi Evans is cool 😎

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Kilometers Davis posted:

I wouldn’t want to talk to those terrible people either so I can’t blame you

Could be worse, thankfully I'm only just in earshot of the love island crew

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Should I get Yak4 and Yak5 on sale for PS3 now or wait for the Kiwamis

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I'd wait tbh, the load times are a real killer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Steve Yun posted:

They're not gonna be Kiwami versions just straight ports so it depends wether being cheap and available now is better than probably better load times and 60 fps in the future.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Now I am the one eagerly waiting!! :D

I get so excited and tense when I see people love Nier now.

I also assume this is the similar reaction people have when they watch LPs. Watching someone decent or bad do a favoured hobby is something most people do. (Loving football so watch the world cup and see people top of their game, or go to YouTube to watch terrible players doing awfully).

Loving video games and watching someone play a game is identical, to me, to that. It is a different experience of a game, but you are still involved. Occasionally, if live, you can even assist or be a part of that LP thanks to the interactions.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rayman Legends is a lot more fun than I thought based on my experiences with 2-D Rayman games from back in the day. It's also the first computer video game ever where I've encountered good (or even decent) localization.

e: Although I don't really understand why they'd localize it at all I mean it's not as if an actual child is ever going to play it :shrug:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'd wait tbh, the load times are a real killer.

The load times still suck even on digital?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Yep, from what I remember.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steve Yun posted:

There's not going to be a difference, because PS3 games have to install it all to the HDD anyway.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

PS4 is good, you guys.

Hell yeah :hfive:

I mean, I just got my Pro not all that long ago, and I've already got like 23 games for it, between sales and hunting around for pre-owned stuff. It's been a long time since I was really excited about gaming on a console, but man are there a lot of good games out there for this thing.

I also ended up grabbing an 8 TB external HDD for it, thanks to an Ebay 15% off coupon :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've easily filled the 1TB drive on my Pro already after like 2 months so if anyone has a good recommendation for a 2TB or more drive, let me know! I've been burnt lots of times in the past with hard drives so I'm very wary these days.