Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

The portable puzzle collection is my go to for offline play. A bunch of different puzzles, free, no internet connection required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Infinity Gaia posted:

This is pretty sweet but it seems to have a really strange balance to it. I kinda dig it but it can get a bit too chaotic at times and it's super hard to dodge some attacks. I'm also not entirely sure I understand the way resting works. But whatever, I'm a beautiful 10 winged butterfly with an octopus head and a horse's tail.

If you tap and hold it makes you stop in place which is pretty much the only way to dodge. The purple gems fill up your Burst Meter which is the button in the bottom right that grants 4 sec invulnerability and makes you dash around like crazy. Your body (aka head) determines what skill you use when you tap the screen, and the damage of those skills is based off INT rather than STR. Each level of your head ups the mana cost and power of skills, generally by adding an additional projectile. Arms give you passive skills like Penetrate (dash through instead of bouncing off), Heavy (bounce in a parabola instead of like you're on a pool table), or Glide (not sure but i think it reduces friction?). Legs are either a passive hp/mp recovery or they auto-fire projectiles.

Resting is a full heal that also shuffles any remaining grey tiles, potentially adding more white and blue monster spaces that reward stat fruits. You can also fully clear a section of terrain to activate the blue crystal and open the dream world, which is an alternate map where every space is an enemy and each fight gives enemies progressively higher stats. You can unlock better versions of each body part here (there are left/right arrows that switch between sets on the body part screen) and it resets completely every time you enter, so you can grind to your heart's content.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah, since I wrote my post I figured out most of that, now my only leftover question is what the heck does the Rampage skill on arms (specifically scythes) do?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Polytopia is free to play (you can pay for extras) and it's a great Civ-like strategy game.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Hey- got a new phone that can run things finally and I'm looking for some good RPG recommendations. Feel like I'm pretty open, probably looking for something more single player that I can easily play for 5-10 minutes at a time and make some progress. Multiplayer/gacha games are fine but probably not looking to get sucked into one of those super gacha / lots of daily stuff random games again like Seven Knights and so on.

Also okay with spending money as I have some googlebux from all the google opinion surveys.

Thanks!

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Cat Quest is a pretty cool action RPG that plays very well on mobile.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
And Cat Quest 2 released a teaser recently too.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Why I also love engrish game with loot treadmills and something that I only have to poke every couple of minutes makes it the perfect game to leave on while I'm at work. Cheers!

It is honestly an amazing game for this. It's super unbalanced in both difficulty and equipment quality but getting a new ship to throw at enemies feels super good with next to no feedback. If you've got questions, let me know, I feel like at this point I might be the English language expert on this game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I beat the Chimera game, it was cute but there's not enough depth for me to bother 100%ing it. I got all the normal parts except one somehow, and like maybe a fourth of the Dream parts. It did give me a weird desire to play more games in this weird flicking rpg genre, of which there are apparently a few on Android. They all seem kinda trashy but whatever.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So is the thread title correct, with King's Raid still being a thing? I could use some goonfriends/a goonguild if we still have one.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

So is the thread title correct, with King's Raid still being a thing? I could use some goonfriends/a goonguild if we still have one.

No, the title really needs to be changed. There is a King's Raid thread somewhere.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

No, the title really needs to be changed. There is a King's Raid thread somewhere.

Specifically, here.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Recommendations for tile matching gatcha games? I tried Puzzles and Dragons and its neat but the dragging puzzle system doesn't click with my brain

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah, since I wrote my post I figured out most of that, now my only leftover question is what the heck does the Rampage skill on arms (specifically scythes) do?

it seems like it either negates speed loss from collisions or causes you to speed up when you hit things (including the edge of the screen) so you can just flick once and let it go as long as you want

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Recommendations for tile matching gatcha games? I tried Puzzles and Dragons and its neat but the dragging puzzle system doesn't click with my brain

Shadow Wars kinda does this and has a radical art style

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Gems of War? It's old as bones but if you join a good guild you can get a never ending stream of currency and you can make a team that has some synergy pretty quickly.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Gems of War? It's old as bones but if you join a good guild you can get a never ending stream of currency and you can make a team that has some synergy pretty quickly.

Gems of War is secretly Puzzle Quest 2, which makes it pretty drat good from the start.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Relentless posted:

Gems of War is secretly Puzzle Quest 2, which makes it pretty drat good from the start.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736873

Thread is that way

The active goon guild is generally full, but worth waiting for a spot if you like the game.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Oh my god, the recent update to Hungry Cat Picross just ruined the interface.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Just wanted to share with the thread one of my favorite android game ever because I keep being blown away by how good it is.
Cell Lab

It's an evolutionary sandbox but I don't think I've ever seen one allowing for that level of complexity and programmation. It has a steep learning curve and the later challenges can be difficult. Managing to solve them is incredibly rewarding, and failing is still fun as you watch your creations become alive and either prosper or die.

You have different types of specialized cells and must assemble and program them so they thrive on a specific substrate, but there's also an experiment mode where you can basically do whatever and even let radiation mutate your cells to give birth to new random species.

Here are some examples of creations you can do in the game, all of these bugs are autonomous and can be programmed to respond to various stimuli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM8UYxYnhNs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9DciDSuWqM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3AsZ4ejxw0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNH0oD2y_x0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx26--zh-DA

I'm a big fan of evolutionary sandboxes and I have yet to find a better game than this and it's on Android only so far.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 3, 2018

Treemeister
Oct 15, 2006

HAY GUYS

Athaboros posted:

Do you have any idea what these fish are supposed to do? Why should I feed my virtual artist cat?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Looks good to me, thanks!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Just wanted to share with the thread one of my favorite android game ever because I keep being blown away by how good it is.
Cell Lab

This game is dope, thank you. My one nitpick is that the tutorial dialogs click off the moment you look away from them and you can't get them back without restarting the tutorials but beyond that this is a lot of fun.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

The Muffinlord posted:

This game is dope, thank you. My one nitpick is that the tutorial dialogs click off the moment you look away from them and you can't get them back without restarting the tutorials but beyond that this is a lot of fun.

You can check the last popup message going back to the "objective" tab

e: also the wiki is very useful because the game purposedly doesn't explain every mechanism in depth right away, letting you discover things by yourself:
http://wiki.cell-lab.net/Cell_Types

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 3, 2018

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

That cell lab game is cool, thanks!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Athaboros posted:

I'm still mad I was unable to transfer my progress when I changed phones

Edit :oh my god a cloud save option

Edit2: of course it freezes up when I try to use it

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 3, 2018

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Treemeister posted:

Do you have any idea what these fish are supposed to do? Why should I feed my virtual artist cat?

AFAICT, it's now something where they turn into "coins" that you use to buy cosmetic items for the cat avatar that now takes up way too much of the screen. I haven't really cared enough, given the frustrations of the new version, to find out more.

Xtanstic posted:

I'm still mad I was unable to transfer my progress when I changed phones

Edit :oh my god a cloud save option

Edit2: of course it freezes up when I try to use it

Yeah, performance is way worse. I wonder if it's due to Unity (did they use that before? I don't remember it being on the splash screen). But yeah, the cloud save option is good; I had the same problem when I upgraded my phone a couple years ago, but I didn't mind starting over at the time. Now, though, I don't even care, because it doesn't feel worth playing any more. It just looks and feels bad now, when before it was so smooth and easy-to-use.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Well I got the save to transfer. I'll play around with it tonight. Hopefully the new stuff ain't too egregious. :ohdear:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't find the new version much of a pain. All the old stuff is there in pretty much the same places, and I haven't noticed any performance issues.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yeah, I don't mind the new look for Hungry Cat Picross either.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

This is not a cropped picture.

Plus it just looks ugly as hell. Why is everything grey now?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Huh, mine didn't look like that (and I only saw that message on the first start after the update).

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
There are so many things that demand your attention in Darkness rises that even on my day off i don't feel like i have time to grind alts up...

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

mrkillboy posted:

Out in soft launch is Dead Island Survivors, a tower defense take on the franchise. It seems to have been in testing for a good year but only popped up on Android recently.

This should be out for everyone now.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Athaboros posted:

I couldn't disagree more. I think the new UI looks fine if not better and I'm glad that they're still actively developing such a good picross game.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
step aside kingsraidailures, the new gacha king is about to be in town

jokes aside the premise is silly enough to endear me and i like cute anime guys and management games so i will at least try it when it's out

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Please don't use foie gras in the game, she is unethical and cruel.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RottenK posted:

step aside kingsraidailures, the new gacha king is about to be in town

jokes aside the premise is silly enough to endear me and i like cute anime guys and management games so i will at least try it when it's out

I unironically adore cooking anime so thanks for sharing this

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Sign me up, gacha and food!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, not gonna lie, that looks just hilarious enough to make me wanna play it.