Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
We all know who D.B. Cooper is already. It's Adam West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

We all know who D.B. Cooper is already. It's Adam West.

Maybe. My personal theory is that he was taking the fall for Jimmy.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Isn't the general consensus that Dan Cooper (the name used to buy the ticket, the initials were the mistake of a newspaper reporter rushing to meet deadline) died on the way down/in the river?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Isn't the general consensus that Dan Cooper (the name used to buy the ticket, the initials were the mistake of a newspaper reporter rushing to meet deadline) died on the way down/in the river?

I know his survival odds weren't particularly favorable, since iirc he jumped with the money, the parachute on his back, and whatever he may have had in his suit pockets; what's more, he landed somewhere in the vast and trackless forests of Washington state, which is full of dangers and other things that don't accept US legal tender

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Hmm. Last name “Cooper”, disappeared in the forests of Washington for decades?

David Lynch solved this one a long time ago.

Edit: Google tells me that Lynch explicitly named him after DB Cooper so my stupid joke is at least a little true as it happens.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Celery Face posted:

Back in 1974, a young woman was found murdered in the Stanford University campus church with an ice pick embedded in the back of her head and a three foot long candlestick in her vagina. There have been a shitton of speculation throughout the years, ranging from a satanic cult being involved to her husband (unrelated but he later became a psychologist who worked with traumatized children) or a flutist who was seen in the church on the night of her murder. The truth is far simpler. Earlier this week, a more advanced DNA test proved that the murderer was the campus security guard who discovered her body. Unfortunately(?), he killed himself when the cops showed up to arrest him.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/06/28/sheriff-suspect-in-infamous-1974-stanford-chapel-murder-shoots-self-as-detectives-close-in/

She was only 19.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Chillbro Baggins posted:

The money that was found buried later is literally the only possible evidence he survived and that's flimsy at best.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I guess there's an argument from silence that he survived. The theory goes that Cooper hijacked the plane at the very start of a long weekend from work to give himself time to get out of the wilderness, get home and cleaned up, then get to work normally. That no missing person reports can be located for someone who looks like Cooper disappearing at the right time is circumstantial evidence he did make it back.

This would line up with the money that was found being buried later by Cooper (after the river was dredged), who realized that he could never spend it without being caught eventually so used it instead to try to convince investigators that he died in the jump.

That's all the evidence I am aware of that he survived. As much as I would like to believe he survived, I think he died in the jump, there's some reasonable explanation for the money being found as it was, and that he wasn't reported missing for mundane reasons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I like the xkcd theory mostly for being entertainingly dumb.

(that is, D.B. Cooper is actually Tommy Wiseau)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I always liked art thieves. I don't know if "weird" is the right word, but I find it interesting that there would be a black market for one of a kind highly identifiable pieces of art work made up of billionaires.

I mean, let's say you bought The Storm on the Sea of Galilee. How could you keep that in your own secret gallery behind a swinging bookcase and never show it to anyone else ever? That's a level of selfishness that I just can't fathom. And I'm very selfish.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Deniability, and money.

Cop, risking his job and cushy retirement: "Your former manservant sez you have some stormy galilee pic-chewer hidden away behind a revolving bookcase"

Billionaire: "He's a liar. Also, I have over nine thousand lawyers, and have bought the police. You were saying?"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

I always liked art thieves. I don't know if "weird" is the right word, but I find it interesting that there would be a black market for one of a kind highly identifiable pieces of art work made up of billionaires.

I mean, let's say you bought The Storm on the Sea of Galilee. How could you keep that in your own secret gallery behind a swinging bookcase and never show it to anyone else ever? That's a level of selfishness that I just can't fathom. And I'm very selfish.

Interesting article about something related. Basically this guy got hired by a billionaire to track down and organise purchases of expensive and rare artworks, he was pretty good at it. What he did though was buy it from the buyer for say 10 million then tell his employer "I got it for a great price, it'll only cost 15 million!".

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/02/08/the-bouvier-affair

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Developing and disturbing news out of Albuquerque, yet again.

quote:

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Albuquerque fire officials say a small fire that broke out near Tramway and Paseo del Norte NE on Tuesday afternoon was sparked by a flaming pigeon.

Wait, sorry, that's the wrong one.

quote:

Albuquerque Police Chief Michael Geier, who led the team of investigators in 2009, said the scene felt like “déjà vu.”

“It looks like a burial,” he said. “There’s enough there to cause concern.”

On Tuesday afternoon, a construction crew on Albuquerque's west mesa unearthed what are being reported as a "possible human remains" approximately a foot under newly excavated ground. Construction workers halted work immediately and contacted the Albuquerque Police Department. The work crew was within a quarter of a mile of the notorious mass grave where at least 11 bodies were unearthed in 2009.

News sites in the area were very cautious and all the headlines Tuesday night used the words "possible." As of of Wednesday morning, that tune has changed although APD has yet to confirm anything other than the fact that they have, upon responding to the scene, visually confirmed "one set of remains visible." construction crew, the press, APD, and Mayor Tim Keller (who is metal as gently caress, btw) all converged on the scene Tuesday afternoon.

Police roped off the work site and spent the fourth with various crews to help map out buried cables and utility lines so that as of today, July 5th, a police and office of the medical investigator can begin what is being described as an archeological dig for the remains of one person, and what feels like could be more, as the city sighs and holds its collective breath once again.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1192438/apd-possible-human-remains-found-near-west-mesa-burial-site.html

And as an aside, it's been some time, and there have been very few meaningful updates to anything I have ever posted here.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Do they still think it's that one guy that was killed by one of his victim's boyfriends? The one that had the tapes with the sound of garbage bags opening and duct tape tearing on them.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Do they still think it's that one guy that was killed by one of his victim's boyfriends? The one that had the tapes with the sound of garbage bags opening and duct tape tearing on them.

It's still an open case. I think it always will be, unfortunately. I still like that dude as a prime suspect based off of all the circumstantial evidence, but there are too many weird players in this case. And those are just the people we know about.

We'll see what sort of evidence comes out of these new findings. A new look at the timeline could confirm or throw out what we already know.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

IIRC, the murders "stopped" (as far as we know, anyway) after he was killed. Seems like a good bet. Hopefully they can manage some DNA evidence from one of these burial sites.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
You could honestly write a book about anything and I would buy it. Are you by chance a journalist?

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Sarcopenia posted:

You could honestly write a book about anything and I would buy it. Are you by chance a journalist?

Not at all. I'm an animal control officer and an artist.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Droogie posted:

You should have a blog if those are still things people do.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Droogie posted:

That's pretty impressive then. You're really good.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

God drat it Thailand.

quote:

The race to drain water from a flooded Thailand cave so a young soccer team can be extracted before monsoon rains suffered a setback Thursday when volunteers inadvertently pumped water back into the watery prison.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/07/05/thailand-cave-race-drain-water-caverns-before-new-rains-arrive/758692002/

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've played enough Dwarf Fortress and Oxygen Not Included to know that water pumping is hard

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I knew cave diving was dangerous, but the fact they're thinking about just supplying the kids for months and walking them out of there instead of having them dive their way out must mean there is some really bad spots for them to work through.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

I knew cave diving was dangerous, but the fact they're thinking about just supplying the kids for months and walking them out of there instead of having them dive their way out must mean there is some really bad spots for them to work through.

Yeah, the description that I've seen is that it's not a straight path, in that it twists and turns a lot, and that there's multiple paths, so there's a very real possibility of losing the path, and it's also silty so errant movement can kick up sediment, essentially reducing visibility to zero. Oh, and it's long enough that divers need to switch tanks while navigating the cave. I'm unclear on whether this needs to be done underwater, but it sounds like it does.

The idea that anyone, let alone a child who's been under constant stress for days if not weeks could get through it without panicking is hard to believe. Hence the idea to literally drug them, tie them up, and drag them to safety being floated.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not only is it long enough that the divers need to switch tanks (it's about 3 hours one way of travel right now), there's at least two parts that are so narrow you can't wear the tank going through it. Imagine being a kid who can't even swim wearing a mask and tank and spending about 3 hours being guided through these caves, some parts so tight that you can barely fit through, unable to see anything that a flashlight doesn't directly illuminate, and any panicked motion will kick up silt that blinds you further.

Don't go cave diving. poo poo, don't go into any caves that aren't tourist attractions set up specifically for your safety. That's the best way to have the most terrifying and drawn-out death possible.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm glad there are people out there who are mad enough to be cave divers.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Celery Face posted:

Back in 1974, a young woman was found murdered in the Stanford University campus church with an ice pick embedded in the back of her head and a three foot long candlestick in her vagina. There have been a shitton of speculation throughout the years, ranging from a satanic cult being involved to her husband (unrelated but he later became a psychologist who worked with traumatized children) or a flutist who was seen in the church on the night of her murder. The truth is far simpler. Earlier this week, a more advanced DNA test proved that the murderer was the campus security guard who discovered her body. Unfortunately(?), he killed himself when the cops showed up to arrest him.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/06/28/sheriff-suspect-in-infamous-1974-stanford-chapel-murder-shoots-self-as-detectives-close-in/

Wasn’t there a goon who knew her?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

BattleMaster posted:

I've played enough Dwarf Fortress and Oxygen Not Included to know that water pumping is hard

I wanted to play that, but there is no way I am paying $25 for an early-access game. I'm hoping it'll show up in a Humble Bundle, or something.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I wanted to play that, but there is no way I am paying $25 for an early-access game. I'm hoping it'll show up in a Humble Bundle, or something.

It's free tho?

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Think he’s talking about the other one. The one that’s early access and on steam for $24.99.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

fruit on the bottom posted:

Think he’s talking about the other one. The one that’s early access and on steam for $24.99.

Rimworld? Oxygen Not Included? There ain't no Dwarf Fortress that I ever heard of on Steam.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

chitoryu12 posted:

Not only is it long enough that the divers need to switch tanks (it's about 3 hours one way of travel right now), there's at least two parts that are so narrow you can't wear the tank going through it. Imagine being a kid who can't even swim wearing a mask and tank and spending about 3 hours being guided through these caves, some parts so tight that you can barely fit through, unable to see anything that a flashlight doesn't directly illuminate, and any panicked motion will kick up silt that blinds you further.

Don't go cave diving. poo poo, don't go into any caves that aren't tourist attractions set up specifically for your safety. That's the best way to have the most terrifying and drawn-out death possible.

Ugh, I wondered if the caves were like that. I think one of the divers said, visibility wise, it was like swimming through coffee.

I love watching videos of those guys cave diving, but screw doing that myself. All the dangers of caving and scuba diving in one go! :stonklol:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

If those survival sims are your jam it's definitely worth 25 bucks, my wife plays it constantly and it seems fully fleshed out and they keep adding stuff regularly.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Aleph Null posted:

Rimworld? Oxygen Not Included? There ain't no Dwarf Fortress that I ever heard of on Steam.

Oxygen Not Included. Re-read BattleMaster's post.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Aleph Null posted:

BattleMaster posted:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

FrozenVent posted:

Why does she need to be punished anyway? Revenge?

i mean you're talking about the same "justice" system that destroys the lives of countless numbers of black people because of an evil plant

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

chitoryu12 posted:

Apparently the cave diving community claims that it’s statistically safer than non-cave diving simply because anyone crazy enough to do it is also committed enough to figure out what they’re doing and follow the agreed-upon procedures.

Still not gonna do it.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Reminds me of Ben McDaniel. I really wonder if he did make it safely out of the cave and just disappeared some other way, it really seems like they explored the hell out of that cave, including testing the water for corpse juices and having tons of experienced cave divers search for him. The last surveillance cams had him filling up tanks and one diver guy opened the gate for him, but nobody stuck around to see him come back up and they found tanks filled with regular air just dumped around the cave entrance.

It kind of looks like the CDC guy, who loved his dog and wouldn't leave his parents blah blah, but ended up committing suicide. I just don't know where Ben could be that nobody found his gear or his body by now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe a sea monster lives in the caves and ate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Well, poo poo.
One Navy Seal has now died in the cave.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/105301519/thai-navy-seal-has-died-in-thailand-cave-rescue