Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

poverty goat posted:

I sexually identify as PC gamer and I am currently playuing through TLOU for the first time, and it's much better than the walking dead

The main problem with TLOU is that there are too many unnecessary filler segments between the cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
TLOU isn't a bad game by any means, but it certainly isn't half as great as people hype it up to be.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the biggest problem with TLOU's gameplay is the gamepad :pcgaming:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

TLOU has good gameplay that isnt explored at all in the single player game. Sources: The fact that they were able to make the multiplayer mode compelling but the single player gameplay is boring

I challenge anyone who says this to play on Survivor or Grounded and get back to me. because every gameplay aspect is explored out of necessity in the harder difficulties and it's a much better game for it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
There aren't that many stealth elements to the game to begin with, especially compared to other notable stealth combat titles.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I have more fun digging through a pile of dirty diapers looking for a clean one I can microwave and wear than playing TLOU :smugbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

There aren't that many stealth elements to the game to begin with, especially compared to other notable stealth combat titles.

it's not really a stealth game and a lot of people seem to get put off because they try to play it that way for the whole game.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think im a wierdo because everyone and thier mom loves the human shooting part of the game but complains about the zombie shooting parts and Im the complete opposite

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

veni veni veni posted:

Hey now, this isn't the common sense opinions thread.

Those are the least popular ones

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i think last of us has really cool stealth and combat, like you're murdering them one by one and you're a real scary brutal motherfucker, its fun to take them out when they're hunting around for you and know you're there, they react very well to you switching positions. The ability to see through walls kinda ruins the game a little bit.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

since so many of you played TLoU explain to me the recent drama about lesbian kissu

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You can tell a lot about a person by how they feel about the Witcher 3.

For example there are people in this thread that don’t like it, and their opinions are trash.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

frajaq posted:

since so many of you played TLoU explain to me the recent drama about lesbian kissu

a trailer showed a lesbian kiss, people reacted dramatically about it

that's pretty much it

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

veni veni veni posted:

I challenge anyone who says this to play on Survivor or Grounded and get back to me. because every gameplay aspect is explored out of necessity in the harder difficulties and it's a much better game for it.

this is why i cant help but think video games should only ever have one difficulty level

ninja gaiden on nes is still legendary for its difficulty but if it had an easy mode a poo poo ton of people would have just played that, thought it was boring, and forgotten it completely

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

TLOU is Manhunt with a different story and zombies

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
witcher 2 is best of the series. like, by a lot.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's nuts to think back to Witcher 2 and how cool and distinctive the forest level was, the ancient architecture and gigantic trees felt truly otherworldly. To be fair, Witcher 3 couldn't do the same thing because its mission statement was to cash in on the Skyrim craze

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Zane posted:

witcher 2 is best of the series. like, by a lot.

I disagree but in that way where I see what you’re saying and respect it.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Witcher 2 had one of the most ballsy content splits I'd ever seen. The paths you choose locked you out of whole hubs and plot points. Haven't seen anything quite like it except Tyranny.

Never did go back to play the other, non-roache path though. :negative:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Same but I've only done iorveth

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Witcher 2 was a much more unique game than TW3 but it also wasn't very fun. The whole progression was weird as gently caress.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

Calling The Last of us terrible is such a stone cold dumbass opinion it could only come from a goon. It's hilarious how many of you are still little contrarian high school edgelords that think hating popular thing x makes you cool. Also, TLOU has killer gameplay.

I think the goon opinion is coming from the person that has been aggro as gently caress for eight months whenever someone criticizes a video game they like.

Like I said, some people prefer different things in games. I don't care if you like The Last of Us or that people think it's a good game. I was speaking from the viewpoint of someone that doesn't care about story at all and how I feel about a game that provokes such fanatical devotion from people like you because of the emotional impact of it's story. The only thing I look for, gameplay, is extremely lacking when you aren't also judging it based on how it makes you feel.

The Witcher 3 is another similar example of the same concept. I just picked The Last of Us because it's the strongest example of the disparity between people who like story and people who don't. "Gone Home" is another example since that is as interactive as a PDF document but it's hailed as true art because of what it says.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
the last of us tells such a unique and refreshing story: what if some gruff white dude lost his family and became a stereotype, but learned to love again by becoming possessive and violent over a young girl

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I think the goon opinion is coming from the person that has been aggro as gently caress for eight months whenever someone criticizes a video game they like.

Like I said, some people prefer different things in games. I don't care if you like The Last of Us or that people think it's a good game. I was speaking from the viewpoint of someone that doesn't care about story at all and how I feel about a game that provokes such fanatical devotion from people like you because of the emotional impact of it's story. The only thing I look for, gameplay, is extremely lacking when you aren't also judging it based on how it makes you feel.

The Witcher 3 is another similar example of the same concept. I just picked The Last of Us because it's the strongest example of the disparity between people who like story and people who don't. "Gone Home" is another example since that is as interactive as a PDF document but it's hailed as true art because of what it says.

Lol that's not what you said though. You said it was terrible. Don't try to pull the "I'm just being reasonable" card. I'm not even talking about the story. I'm specifically saying you are dead loving wrong about TLOU's gameplay. It's fun, complex, dynamic, nuanced and one of my top games in regards to the gameplay specifically. I hear people say it's bad every now and then and without fail, they are just people that suck at it. The multiplayer has managed to wrangle me in for almost 6 years when no other game has managed to do that for 6 months. I've played the story mode quite a few times too and it's insanely good on the highest difficulties.

If you don't like it that's fine, but if you are going to matter of factly state the gameplay is bad after fumbling your way through 1 playthrough I'm going to call you out. Don't try and act like an expert about a game that has had a die hard following for the better part of a decade.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Lol that's not what you said though. You said it was terrible. Don't try to pull the "I'm just being reasonable" card. I'm not even talking about the story. I'm specifically saying you are dead loving wrong about TLOU's gameplay. It's fun, complex, dynamic, nuanced and one of my top games in regards to the gameplay specifically. I hear people say it's bad every now and then and without fail, they are just people that suck at it. The multiplayer has managed to wrangle me in for almost 6 years when no other game has managed to do that for 6 months. I've played the story mode quite a few times too and it's insanely good on the highest difficulties.

If you don't like it that's fine, but if you are going to matter of factly state the gameplay is bad after fumbling your way through 1 playthrough I'm going to call you out. Don't try and act like an expert about a game that has had a die hard following for the better part of a decade.

You don't like it cause you're bad at it
Refusing to accept a softening position
You disagree because you don't understand
Rejecting an explicitly subjective position to insist on objective statements about whether something is or is not fun

gonna need to take you down to the station where you'll be playin games I insist are fun 'til you run out yer sentence

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Gone Home was worth the :10bux: I paid for it and I quite enjoyed the idea of revealing a story by rifling through everyone's belongings.

It's easily worth another :10bux: for the entertainment brought about by incel gamers melting the gently caress down about it

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Gone Home was worth the :10bux: I paid for it and I quite enjoyed the idea of revealing a story by rifling through everyone's belongings.

It's easily worth another :10bux: for the entertainment brought about by incel gamers melting the gently caress down about it

:chloe:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Tbh unless you are an accomplished writer, you shouldn't judge writing.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Tbh unless you are an accomplished writer, you shouldn't judge writing.

Perhaps the same could be said of all professions

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

signalnoise posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all professions

Agreed. Even the worst EA title is pearls before a gaming swine, who couldn't come up with even an iota of its brilliance.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni posted:

Calling The Last of us terrible is such a stone cold dumbass opinion it could only come from a goon. It's hilarious how many of you are still little contrarian high school edgelords that think hating popular thing x makes you cool. Also, TLOU has killer gameplay.

:thumbsup:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

TLoU has a mediocre story with mediocre gameplay and the only reason ppl think it's good is because of the insanely high production values

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Agreed. Even the worst EA title is pearls before a gaming swine, who couldn't come up with even an iota of its brilliance.

What is a EA title??? nothing but a miserable little pile of lootboxes!!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

veni veni veni posted:

LDon't try and act like an expert about a game that has had a die hard following for the better part of a decade.

The Last Of Us was released five years and three weeks ago, which technically qualifies as the better part of a decade but only if you're really keen on misrepresenting how long it's been out for some reason

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
TLoU is yet another cover shooter with a story and characters tailor made to pluck at the heartstrings of lonely morons. Also TLoU2 is very much the same thing but now features Butch Ellie and her ugly sweaty girlfriend that reeks of garbage (by her own admission).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

fridge corn posted:

TLoU has a mediocre story with mediocre gameplay and the only reason ppl think it's good is because of the insanely high production values

to me this is hilarious coming from people who like poo poo like rpgs lol

"heh, cover shooters" says the person who likes games that are extremely dumbed down versions of strategy games or beat em ups

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

RPGs generally have those dumbed down systems in order to accommodate more variety in character builds; cover shooters only exist because an analogue stick can't aim as well as a mouse

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Panzeh posted:

to me this is hilarious coming from people who like poo poo like rpgs lol

"heh, cover shooters" says the person who likes games that are extremely dumbed down versions of strategy games or beat em ups

Have you confused me with someone else cuz uhhh.. ????

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
TLoU appears to have decent gameplay wrapped in a lovely story and boring single-player content- the antidote to which appears to be (if you believe those with terrible opinions) playing multiplayer or turning the difficulty up to a mode where a single hit kills you so you have some sort of distraction from how hard the game is trying not to be laughably luke-warm.

When I compare it to a game like Re4 which has decent gameplay wrapped in a hokey story with amazingly fun single-player content, I find myself wanting nothing to do with a game like TLoU.

But lol dads and lesbians and feels. The new age of gaming is lame as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Sardonik posted:

Witcher 2 had one of the most ballsy content splits I'd ever seen. The paths you choose locked you out of whole hubs and plot points. Haven't seen anything quite like it except Tyranny.

Never did go back to play the other, non-roache path though. :negative:

the non-roache is the best one