Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Diamond
Dec 26, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

You know, doomguy could use like, a Naomi type character to riff off and keep him human.

Like Cortana was for Chief, at least before 343i loving butchered the Halo story.

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Zaphod42 posted:

You know, doomguy could use like, a Naomi type character to riff off and keep him human.

Like Cortana was for Chief, at least before 343i loving butchered the Halo story.

I don't think so.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

While we’re at it give Doomguy Navi.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd much rather prefer less talking in my DOOM game, not more.
Plus, frankly, I really don't think Doom Slayer needs to be humanized. He's more of a force.

They are rage, brutal, without mercy. But you. You will be worse.
Rip and tear until it is done.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

And Amos rules.

What makes you think Doomguy is human?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

What makes you think Doomguy is human?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
He's got a backup of Vega in his pocket, if he got booted back up to have a chat now and then that'd be all right.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah wtf VEGA is great, why would you not want VEGA in D22m

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

code:
VEGA
Doomslayer, the demon concentration in 
this region is extremely high, you run an 
excessive risk of-

DOOMSLAYER
Can it, electro brain!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Linguica posted:

code:
VEGA
Doomslayer, the demon concentration in 
this region is extremely high, you run an 
excessive risk of-

DOOMSLAYER
Can it, electro brain!

quote:

FX: Laughter

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

VEGA is plugged into a potato and hilarity ensues

You can't leave without your buddy SuperVEGA!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
VEGA: How could you, that demon had a family. New targets have been added to your automap.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

VEGA: Doom Slayer, have you ever tried talking to the demons?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

VEGA: Good morning Doomslayer. What will the first sequence of the day be?

Doomslayer: VEGA load up ImpMan please.

Doomslayer: Could you kick up the ah, IDDQD please?

Spatial fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 5, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Spatial posted:

:yeshaha:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
id love nothing more than if vega just keeps up a running infodump most of the time, occasionally commenting on a particularly brutal kill

i dont actually expect anything like that but it would own

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Fargin Icehole posted:

I don't think so.

However, I wonder how VEGA will fit into the story or if he'll be part of Eternal, since Doomguy already made a backup of him near the end of the first game

e: beaten but I'd still like to see that in a "silent slayer with a buddy-cop sidekick in his pocket" way

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spatial posted:

Doom needs a renegade button for the cutscenes that cuts them short by breaking things / threatening the NPCs. Like instead of Olivia doing her thing, Doomguy starts breaking through the glass and she has to run off.

I hope they do something like that for Eternal

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Spatial posted:

You absolute madman :drat:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it is definitely way funnier if doomguy doesn't talk in anything more than strained or annoyed grunts from jumping or getting shot.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its even funnier if vega acts as if doomguy is saying something coherent and intelligible

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hey all, I am going to remind you please to not discuss or bring up Gamergate in any form even tangentially. It is a terrible subject about terrible people and makes the forum terrible to read.

Thank you!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

VideoGames posted:

Hey all, I am going to remind you please to not discuss or bring up Gamergate in any form even tangentially. It is a terrible subject about terrible people and makes the forum terrible to read.

Thank you!

You're not wrong but I'm just wondering what prompted this post. I haven't seen anything in the thread on the subject

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I mentioned it in relation to the Polygon stuff. May have been the first mention of it, not sure. Sorry about that!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's a genius feature. Definitely should be in RE5ARD.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You're not wrong but I'm just wondering what prompted this post. I haven't seen anything in the thread on the subject

A few posts on the previous page looked like they were about to go into it and I thought it best to nip it in the bud here :)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

There's a gif of dad Kratos looking at a computer and then trashing it in disgust. How come none made this but with doomguy?

For reference:
https://imgur.com/jmpglTO

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

There's a gif of dad Kratos looking at a computer and then trashing it in disgust. How come none made this but with doomguy?

For reference:
https://imgur.com/jmpglTO
Good question. I might have to remedy this, actually.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

they're a learned skill just like any other control type, like riding a bike, swimming, driving, various ball sports, parkour, or mouse and keys.

Well yes, obviously. I play with keyboard/mouse though, so if someone made me FPS with a controller it'd look like that. Probably someone who'd grown up on console games would look like an epileptic if they tried to FPS with a mouse.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Bring back Vega with a running commentary in the next game, and add a prominent switch to turn him off in the option menu, just to give everyone an extra indicator of which reviews should be ignored. I don't want more dialog, but this could be an extra fail-safe to help weed out reviewers who powered the game on wanting to hate it.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 5, 2018

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Good question. I might have to remedy this, actually.

Extremely eager to see your take on this. Bonus points if he throws the computer at some poor imp's head or something.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Lone Badger posted:

Well yes, obviously. I play with keyboard/mouse though, so if someone made me FPS with a controller it'd look like that. Probably someone who'd grown up on console games would look like an epileptic if they tried to FPS with a mouse.

Weirdly, I don't. You can be good at both. So can you, but not overnight.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The things demons see before their untimely demise must be an interesting topic in whatever afterlife they wind up in

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Spatial posted:

You're wonderful.

Vinylshadow posted:

The things demons see before their untimely demise must be an interesting topic in whatever afterlife they wind up in

You're wonderful.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Spatial posted:

Just want to say that iddqd (godmode) should be idkfa (more weapons for destruction), because doomguy doesn't need godmode, he is a god, he does need more weapons for killing more demons though. good work!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

And Amos rules.

Examples of why halo sucked and half life was better

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked the idea of John falling in love with Cortana and Cortana gaining humanity/sentience because it could have been a real cool little scifi side plot thing that added some depth to both characters... but it was handled so hamfistedly that they pretty much squashed any chance of it being natural or well-written.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What I'm saying is, Doomguy x VEGA OTP please read my Undertale crossover fanfic in which Sans "Skeltal" Undertale is the pastor at their wedding

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zaphod42 posted:

And Amos rules.

KoRMaK posted:

Examples of why halo sucked and half life was better

Uhh the Half-Life series has Alyx Vance, and there's a pretty graphic sex scene that certainly "humanizes" Gordon (if you know what I mean :getin:)

And if we're just talking about Half-Life 1, well...need I say more than "Barney and the Scientists"? I've lost count of the times that Barney owed me a beer, or the Albert Einstein-looking scientist begged me to stop shooting him in the foot and then hunting him for sport.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Half-Life gave us Gordon Frohman :colbert: