Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

The Peccadillo posted:

America bought all the smart Nazis pardons to make them work in America towards ubermenschen and couldn't even get a satellite or a dude into space first. Embarrassing

The US now has Nazis openly parading in the streets and serving in the government.

REVERSAL OF FORTUNE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Hell, like ten percent of them are incarcerated in privately owned prisons, shouty street Nazis are like number three on the fascist alarm list

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dickeye made a good 4th July tweet a week too early.

https://twitter.com/dickeyesmash/status/1013076275571945472?s=19

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

In an earlier iteration of this thread, someone posted a long and very insightful article by a feminist critic about how the depiction of spanking in classic Hollywood films perpetuated the societal infantilization of women. Does anyone still have a link to that article?

The Peccadillo posted:

America bought all the smart Nazis pardons to make them work in America towards ubermenschen and couldn't even get a satellite or a dude into space first. Embarrassing

Seems like the Soviet Union got the smarter Nazi scientists after all.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

The MSJ posted:

Dickeye made a good 4th July tweet a week too early.

https://twitter.com/dickeyesmash/status/1013076275571945472?s=19

Have you seen the thread with these in GBS? It's really good and worth browsing.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The US now has Nazis openly parading in the streets and serving in the government.

REVERSAL OF FORTUNE

Who knew that this could happen in a country founded on white supremacy? I AM SHOCKED AT THIS SHOCKING DEVELOPMENT THAT HAS SHOCKED ME!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I’m worried and slightly sour that it looks like Sorry to Bother You will not be playing in Glasgow

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Have you seen the thread with these in GBS? It's really good and worth browsing.

:whatfor:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

In an earlier iteration of this thread, someone posted a long and very insightful article by a feminist critic about how the depiction of spanking in classic Hollywood films perpetuated the societal infantilization of women. Does anyone still have a link to that article?

I'd also wanna read this.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I believe this was it:

https://pictorial.jezebel.com/i-dont-know-whether-to-kiss-you-or-spank-you-a-half-ce-1769140132

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

I’m worried and slightly sour that it looks like Sorry to Bother You will not be playing in Glasgow

if it's anything like here sometimes movies get played the same time they become available on VOD services

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dope. Men are gross.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The episode of Nathan For You where he tries to get a Michael Richards impersonator to leave a $10,000 tip is one of the funniest TV episodes I’ve ever seen, holy poo poo.

Pirate Jet posted:

Hey Midnight Special was pretty great, thanks everyone. Now for the next one: what’s the best concert film that isn’t Stop Making Sense?

Kinda Purple Rain, because it’s a narrative film that features concert footage as roughly a third of its runtime.

Vincent posted:

Hot take: 12 men inside amy schumer is better than the original.

I like 12 Angry Men Inside Amy Schumer, but naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Kinda Purple Rain, because it’s a narrative film that features concert footage as roughly a third of its runtime.

Kinda nothing.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yeah, that's the one. Much obliged.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Part of the reason the criterion of 12 is dope is cause it includes the original teleplay which ends on a much more sinister note.

It also includes Terror in a Temporary Town, which is hella dope.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Revision: I am amending my opinion on The First Purge. I toss and turn in bed, staring at the ceiling whenever I call a movie bad, let alone objectively bad. Well, this one is good and I apologize to the Blumhouse schlock merchants for dissing their 5 million dollar movie.

On this note,if anyone has a good longform about "detective magazines", I'd love to read it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Honest Thief posted:

if it's anything like here sometimes movies get played the same time they become available on VOD services

This is violence.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I only put the “kinda” because idk how many people would classify it as a concert film, Purple Rain the film whips rear end.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
These reports that they finally made a dope Purge movie are keeping me up at night!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Heh. Just saw this. Quint clearly drew the shark a few times before getting it just right for his big speech.

Any other great instances of this sort of thing? Whenever characters are in snow or mud I always look for footprints from previous takes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

On this note,if anyone has a good longform about "detective magazines", I'd love to read it.

:same:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

It's funny, I think the way I found out about 'em was we were talking up how dope Hour of the Wolf was and you recommended a song that was on their split EP with LA.

Ooooooh yeah. Anyway, Black Eye Blues is an outstanding hardcore album.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's directed like poo poo, has a bad sound mix, awful script etc but none of the other Purge movies kick nearly as much rear end as The First Purge. Loved it. Negative zero subtelty, all it took was reality catching up to the premise to get it out of neutral.

i might have to make this the first one i see in theaters.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

It's directed like poo poo, has a bad sound mix, awful script etc but none of the other Purge movies kick nearly as much rear end as The First Purge. Loved it. Negative zero subtelty, all it took was reality catching up to the premise to get it out of neutral.

The only one I seen was Election Year and was disappointed how.. it felt toothless for a movie that is about fascism in America, even though them portraying the old government elite as pretty much blood drinking religious fanatics was good.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The first one sucked, the second one would have been much better as a short film with Frank Grillo as The Punisher, and I didn't see the third one. The reactions I'm seeing for this new one are definitely getting me interested though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Honest Thief posted:

The only one I seen was Election Year and was disappointed how.. it felt toothless for a movie that is about fascism in America, even though them portraying the old government elite as pretty much blood drinking religious fanatics was good.

anarchy is the best one hth

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

Who knew that this could happen in a country founded on white supremacy? I AM SHOCKED AT THIS SHOCKING DEVELOPMENT THAT HAS SHOCKED ME!

you going to link it or what

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I only put the “kinda” because idk how many people would classify it as a concert film, Purple Rain the film whips rear end.

And if you're being strict about it, Prince has another actual concert film: Sign o' the Times. Siskel and Ebert loved it.

That said don't watch any of Prince's other plot based movies. Yikes. Although I have wondered once or twice what Grafitti Bridge would be like if Madonna had actually been in it as planned.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 5, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Honest Thief posted:

The thing where they're like sadistic Wiccans is silly and irrelevant.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Heh. Just saw this. Quint clearly drew the shark a few times before getting it just right for his big speech.

Any other great instances of this sort of thing? Whenever characters are in snow or mud I always look for footprints from previous takes.

:same:

You can tell they used two completely different takes during Donald Sutherland's speech about Milton in Animal House because Satan is written two different ways between shots.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I for one would watch a Purge film about someone who takes a powerful laxative and emetic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pirate Jet posted:

Hey Midnight Special was pretty great, thanks everyone. Now for the next one: what’s the best concert film that isn’t Stop Making Sense?

"Concert film" is stretching it, but One More Time With Feeling is pretty amazing. It's directed by Andrew Dominik and features Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. The movie chronicles the week and a half or so that the band spent in the studio when Cave decided to rewrite and re-record about two-thirds of the Skeleton Tree album following the death of his son, Arthur. It's a movie packed with raw emotion and pain; even my ex-wife and a few friends, none of whom would ever be confused for a Nick Cave turbofan like I am, were reaching for the Kleenex by the end (the last fifteen minutes or so are absolutely devastating).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWjZ85m1BKg

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CPL593H posted:

Oh, and for what it's worth Ansel Elgort is a pretty generic template for "white male aged 21-25" so I don't think it's as big as deal as you might think.

For what it's worth, I know a guy who looks insanely like Elgort in Baby Driver to the point where myself and other mutual friends talked to him about it independently just going off of the trailer before it came out.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If you want to see an interesting bit of continuity, see the Harold Lloyd short Haunted Spooks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-CXQspZtMs

It was halfway into production when Lloyd had the accident that resulted in two of his fingers getting blown off by a prop bomb. In footage shot after the accident, Lloyd is wearing an early version of his prosthetic glove, so he's usually keeping that hand in his pocket, behind something, or making a fist.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Re concert films: Monterey Pop is a good concert doc, but the best thing that came from it was:

Otis Redding's Complete Set.

It's 20 minutes of pure heaven, and I'm still amazed they were able to make it look (and SOUND!!!) as good as it does with their tiny budget and less than stellar equipment. Pennebaker and crew had a very limited amount of film so usually only recorded a song or two from each act. Thankfully they had the foresight to record this entire performance, and for that alone I will always call Pennebaker a genius.

Edit: it also has two great quotes, with "So this is the love crowd" that Otis remarks after the second song, the ending line of "I don't want to go but I have to go", and the immortal "can we do that one more time" sequence in "I've Been Loving You for too Long". He died not long after this concert.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 5, 2018

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

therattle posted:

I for one would watch a Purge film about someone who takes a powerful laxative and emetic.

2girls1purge

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

therattle posted:

I'd see a Purge film that follows people committing relatively trivial crimes like pirating DVDs and smuggling Kinder Eggs into the country.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Egbert Souse posted:

If you want to see an interesting bit of continuity, see the Harold Lloyd short Haunted Spooks:

It was halfway into production when Lloyd had the accident that resulted in two of his fingers getting blown off by a prop bomb. In footage shot after the accident, Lloyd is wearing an early version of his prosthetic glove, so he's usually keeping that hand in his pocket, behind something, or making a fist.

What an absolute maniac.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Egbert Souse posted:

Wait judging by the timeline, you’re saying Harold Lloyd did Safety Last with a prosthetic glove? :psyduck:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
As far as noticing continuity errors goes, the classic example is Bela Lugosi dying 4 days into shooting Plan 9 From Outer Space, and he was replaced by Ed Wood Jr.’s chiropractor, who kept his cloak in front of his face the entire time he was on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Sign o' the Times and it's available on prime video right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDiSGWnLX9U

• Locked thread