Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Gone home. Ehhhhhh.

My parents embraced my coming out so I can't relate to the emotional hook of the dumb twist, so I think it's bad. I'm sure for everyone who lived through something like that was brought to tears but anyway

Would have been better to go for being the mystery thriller it pretends to be.

So It's a bad game because it's just a nonlinear storybox and the story is bad.

The concept of just unraveling a story in an atospheric setting is an okay concept though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This might not be a truly unpopular opinion in a vacuum but among the people who like The Last of Us it probably is: I wish Naughty Dog wasn't making a sequel. Or, failing that, I wish the sequel didn't feature any characters from the first one. I thought the ending was satisfying in its ambiguity and open-endedness and I think that following up on it kinda ruins it in retrospect. I didn't want to know what happens next.

I also feel the same way about Bloodborne but that's just because I think FromSoft's direct sequels are much less interesting, and luckily that one doesn't seem to be happening.

veni veni veni posted:

Lol that's not what you said though. You said it was terrible. Don't try to pull the "I'm just being reasonable" card. I'm not even talking about the story. I'm specifically saying you are dead loving wrong about TLOU's gameplay. It's fun, complex, dynamic, nuanced and one of my top games in regards to the gameplay specifically. I hear people say it's bad every now and then and without fail, they are just people that suck at it. The multiplayer has managed to wrangle me in for almost 6 years when no other game has managed to do that for 6 months. I've played the story mode quite a few times too and it's insanely good on the highest difficulties.

The Last of Us is one of the rare games where difficulty setting makes a massive difference in how fun it actually is to play. On Normal or lower it's a snoozefest, but on Hard or higher it's great. I think the only real difference between Normal and Hard is how many resources are available and that makes a surprisingly big difference all on its own. When you actually don't have enough ammo to shoot your way through most situations, and when you really do have to make decisions about what you should craft with your resources, it's a much more satisfying game to play.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 5, 2018

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lactose Is Wack posted:

the non-roache is the best one

Actually, the Roche path has Roche in it

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

frajaq posted:

since so many of you played TLoU explain to me the recent drama about lesbian kissu

Theres nothing to say because the drama is just about an advertisement. Have some self respect and just dont watch things designed to trick you.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

basic hitler posted:

Gone home. Ehhhhhh.

My parents embraced my coming out so I can't relate to the emotional hook of the dumb twist, so I think it's bad. I'm sure for everyone who lived through something like that was brought to tears but anyway

The concept of just unraveling a story in an atospheric setting is an okay concept though

the stuff about the parents was a way more interesting story imo

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Panzeh posted:

to me this is hilarious coming from people who like poo poo like rpgs lol

"heh, cover shooters" says the person who likes games that are extremely dumbed down versions of strategy games or beat em ups

RPGs are very upfront about thier simplicity. Your Goal Is to Make These Numbers Go Up. And then you do it

Cover Shooters try to dres up thier simplicity behind walk and talk corridors, flashy explosions and story cutscenes. But in the end youre just hiding behidn boxes waiting for the bleed effect to disspear

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

the last of us is a very pretty game and was mostly fun but i think it would've been better if shorter. too many bits drag on for ages, usually in the most boring setpieces.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

fridge corn posted:

TLoU has a mediocre story with mediocre gameplay and the only reason ppl think it's good is because of the insanely high production values

As someone who has loved Sony properties and Naughty Dog as a whole, I kinda agree, it never stuck with me.

Massive edit: the intro was really really good though

Caesar Saladin posted:

a trailer showed a lesbian kiss, people reacted dramatically about it

that's pretty much it

The safest of safe inclusions and people still got riled. What I want to see is a gay dude MC who has a kiss with another dude. Gimme some representation! (Someone who isn't bioware and their piecemeal scraps)

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 5, 2018

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bioware also really sucks, Ive always felt bad for people who enjoy romances in video games because theyre all youre got. Yeesh.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

What I want to see is a gay dude ramming another man up his coalmine, if you know what im saying

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Meme Emulator posted:

Bioware also really sucks, Ive always felt bad for people who enjoy romances in video games because theyre all youre got. Yeesh.

I never get tired of posting this, gently caress Bioware (the mass effect division at least)

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

I could play an entire game that is just dialogue and cool characters and setpieces. The shooting in Mass Effect was just a hassle anyway, it was just boring easy mindless stuff

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Fartbox posted:

I could play an entire game that is just dialogue and cool characters and setpieces. The shooting in Mass Effect was just a hassle anyway, it was just boring easy mindless stuff

this is Torment: Tides of Numenera

You can play the whole game without combat. I beat the end boss without a fight by convincing him he was dead already

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I never get tired of posting this, gently caress Bioware (the mass effect division at least)

Apparently there are no gay aliens in this space opera.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

signalnoise posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all professions

GBS ill needs posts such as these

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Colonel Cancer posted:

Apparently there are no gay aliens in this space opera.

Nope, blue space woman dont technically count as women so it's not lesbianism - an actual mass effect writer.

Also gay aliens? in space!?

:sadcatholicemotetossingbible:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So there are these Asari, right. They look like humans exceed they are blue and they have little wavy parts instead of hair. Also they are all women who live to be 1000 years old but still look young. And they love to gently caress. They will gently caress any species and any gender, but if they get pregnant, which can happen even with other females, they will only make more blue fembabes. Also they have psychic powers and their oldest profession is "Commando Scientist". They have the smartest scientists and the sexiest commandos. And every species in the galaxy loves and respects them.

- A writer, at Bioware, who expects his work to be taken seriously.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

wonder what their sweat tastes like

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

poverty goat posted:

this is Torment: Tides of Numenera

You can play the whole game without combat. I beat the end boss without a fight by convincing him he was dead already

I'd rather just read a book

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fartbox posted:

wonder what their sweat tastes like

There is probably some lore tidbit about them never sweating because that would be an imperfection.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

If you’re playing games for the story it should be a point and click or one of the bad Cage movie games.

If you’re playing a game for the story and it has boring cover shooting in between or really mediocre third person swording you’re a dumb dumb.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Chomp8645 posted:

There is probably some lore tidbit about them never sweating because that would be an imperfection.

Context

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
To be fair to Bioware, the whole Mass Effect series is a scifi pastiche, and you can't do a scifi pastiche without sexy alien babes. It's like complaining about the characters having super powers which are only tenuously connected at best to the idea of the "mass effect". It's SCIFI with big capital letters, you've got to have psychic powers. What is surprising about that chart is that men get so many options when they're not what you would assume to be the target audience for romance content

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

pinball is good and I wish bally had focused on that instead of their lovely shady fitness programs that caused them to get sued into nonexistence

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Fried Watermelon posted:

I'd rather just read a book

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

basic hitler posted:

Gone home. Ehhhhhh.

Gone home was a total miss to me. The stakes for the twist were just so low that it meant I couldn't care less about the protagonist or their sister. It was just really hard to feel any connection to anyone in the story.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I loved Gone Home :( I thought it was a real sweet coming out story.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The Stanley Parable was a great game

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Tank controls are fine

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
People always say "if you play game X in Y mode than the game turns from boring/bad to great!" But with the sole exception of Metro 2033's Ranger mode I've never found this to be the case. Chances are if a game is boring/bad in one difficulty or mode it's boring/bad period. Rarely are a game's problems remedied by flipping a switch.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 5, 2018

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The safest of safe inclusions and people still got riled. What I want to see is a gay dude MC who has a kiss with another dude. Gimme some representation! (Someone who isn't bioware and their piecemeal scraps)

This is my unpopular videogame opinion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fridge corn posted:

TLoU has a mediocre story with mediocre gameplay and the only reason ppl think it's good is because of the insanely high production values

Yeah we all caught your weird redpill rant in the PS4 thread too.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

2house2fly posted:

To be fair to Bioware, the whole Mass Effect series is a scifi pastiche, and you can't do a scifi pastiche without sexy alien babes. It's like complaining about the characters having super powers which are only tenuously connected at best to the idea of the "mass effect". It's SCIFI with big capital letters, you've got to have psychic powers. What is surprising about that chart is that men get so many options when they're not what you would assume to be the target audience for romance content

Man i never really thought about it but in games it is flipped, men are the audience for soap opera love stories and poo poo. Hahaha

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Sniping is cool and good

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

punk rebel ecks posted:

People always say "if you play game X in Y mode than the game turns from boring/bad to great!" But with the sole exception of Metro 2033's Ranger mode I've never found this to be the case. Chances are if a game is boring/bad in one difficulty or mode it's boring/bad period. Rarely are a game's problems remedied by flipping a switch.

It's rare but it happens. The original Deus Ex is loving stupid if you don't play on "realistic" difficulty.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's definitely rare and I wouldn't say that The Last of Us magically transforms from "bad" to "great" when you crank up the difficulty, but it definitely gets more interesting. The reason for this, in my opinion, is that Normal mode is poorly balanced for the kind of experience Naughty Dog wanted to create. You're supposed to be really ammo-starved and you're supposed to be limited enough on crafting resources that the choices they designed into the crafting system--like how molotovs and med kits have the same components--are actually worth thinking about for more than a second. On Normal, ammo and crafting resources are common enough that you never really feel that squeeze. If you're a decent shot you can gun-fight your way out of more situations than you probably should, and you're rarely in a position where getting hit and having to make a med kit is a major sacrifice. On Hard and above, that's no longer the case. Resources are rare enough that it actually changes how you play.

Again, though, it's not magic. It just increases the tension of the sneaking and combat sections in a way that feels right for the kind of game it is, and that improves the experience a good amount, or at least it did for me.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

punk rebel ecks posted:

it depends on whether or not the devs made a good difficult game, then made that "hard mode" and dumbed it down to make "normal" super stupid boring easy so they could sell their game to toddlers

if they did that then everyone who plays "normal" thinks "this game is stupid and boring"

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Good soup! posted:

Tank controls are fine

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

DogonCrook posted:

Man i never really thought about it but in games it is flipped, men are the audience for soap opera love stories and poo poo. Hahaha

this is exactly the same in wrestling, which is basically amateur ballet but more homoerotic and aimed at men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The best cover shooter was Vanquish