Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Someone please save me an afternoon of googling and watching lovely youtube videos.

What's the best way to cook wings on a grill? Slow smoke? If so what temp and how long? Or do you reverse sear? How do you know when they are done enough to sear? Or do you just sort of bake them at 350 (or 425 or whatever) and should probably just use an oven?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got a small “short rib roast” from the butcher today on a whim (hadn’t seen it before). It looks like a long piece of the short rib meat rolled up, so I figured I’d just rub it and go 225F to...190? Does that sound right?

(I don’t know anything about wings, but Amazing Ribs has some recipes.)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Murgos posted:

Someone please save me an afternoon of googling and watching lovely youtube videos.

What's the best way to cook wings on a grill? Slow smoke? If so what temp and how long? Or do you reverse sear? How do you know when they are done enough to sear? Or do you just sort of bake them at 350 (or 425 or whatever) and should probably just use an oven?

If you're going to be smoke them.. you want to put the heat on higher at some point and get them crispy or you'll get rubbery wings.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I am going to a Meat Auction tonight. I imagine the pricing will probably be ridiculous, but what the hell - if nothing else it looks like it'll be fun to watch. Maybe I will walk out with something.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Murgos posted:

Cook them on in-direct for about 30-40 minutes(internal temp 135-140) and then put them on direct heat for about 5-10 minutes until the skin gets golden brown and they hit an internal temp of 160. Then they'll be done. They cook fast.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Murgos posted:

Plenty of answers but I usually wing it. (No pun intended).

Fire up the smoker, I know where it will it set for 325-350 based on the vents.

Toss wings on. Within less than an hour there you go. Flip them half way through.

Easy peasy.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Plenty of answers but I usually wing it. (No pun intended).

Fire up the smoker, I know where it will it set for 325-350 based on the vents.

Toss wings on. Within less than an hour there you go. Flip them half way through.

Easy peasy.
^^^^
this

It need not be any more complicated than doing them in the oven. Fire up the smoker to the temp you'd oven bake, toss a couple wood chunks on with the wings. Wait. Take off. Eat.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Gonna smoke some chicken leg quarters later on. They're in a wet brine now, and I know Meathead says that it's not as good as dry brining but whatever. I've never wet brined anything, and $0.88/lb chicken leg quarters seem like a good way to gently caress around with brine.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Doing a chunk of brisket flat today for myself (in Canada unless you're doing special butcher orders I find that roast sized chunks of the flat are what you'll usually find labelled as "brisket" and are the most readily available on shelves) and pulled pork tomorrow for a party. Happy Canada day long weekend y'all.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Happy Canada Day! Where'd you find the brisket, out of curiosity? I've only been able to get it from a specialty grocery store in the town I work in.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Smoking salmon for the first time tomorrow. Any tips, tricks, or recommendations?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I don't usually do ribs but I had some in the freezer for longer than I'd care to admit. I decided to make the bbq sauce from this video (it's a good YouTube channel to follow btw)
https://youtu.be/nMYopbutSgs

The sauce was fantastic. I decided to simmer it for ten minutes and it was better before cooking. Anyways here are some pictures.

I think I overdid them by putting them on a hot grill which messed with the crust. All in all I was happy with them.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Dry rubs with sugar are not meant for grilling under direct heat, as found out, the sugar ends up caramellising. It's not a terrible flavour, but it's better to use slow smoking and indirect heat if at all possible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IME you have to be super careful when caramelizing the sauce. I scorch stuff more often I don’t at this point.

E: indirect for the cook and direct after saucing, I mean

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Yeah, I was glazing on the smoker and all was well, a few moments in the grill and it was probably a split second from being totally burnt. I guess I'll have to do more ribs to practice.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

10 Beers posted:

Smoking salmon for the first time tomorrow. Any tips, tricks, or recommendations?

Yes. Do not wait for your smoker to be at the target temp before you put them on.
Are you going to dry brine, rinse and allow to dry/pellicle? (you should)

I slice into about hand sized pieces, cover entirely with a mix of mostly brown sugar and some salt. cover with saran wrap and fridge overnight. Rinse about noonish and put on racks in the fridge for a few hours. Smoke. Eat. Poop.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 1, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When you are going to put them on the grate, cut printer paper or paper bag to match the size of the pieces, and attach them to the bottom. When they’re done and cooked to the touch, you can easily peel the skin off, and there’s no sticking risk.

(If you can tell the difference between pellicle and not in the final product, you are a much better salmon wizard than I am.)

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

VERTiG0 posted:

Happy Canada Day! Where'd you find the brisket, out of curiosity? I've only been able to get it from a specialty grocery store in the town I work in.

This was from a farmer's market. I've run into it at a Sobey's before but it's kind of a rarity to be out on the shelf (although I've found it there a couple of times), usually it's hiding behind the counter and/or doesn't exist.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Call a butcher and you can basically always get a brisket on reasonable notice.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
There is a real good butcher about 90 mins from me, I should call and check brisket prices. Local grocery store is always $8/lb.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

When you are going to put them on the grate, cut printer paper or paper bag to match the size of the pieces, and attach them to the bottom. When they’re done and cooked to the touch, you can easily peel the skin off, and there’s no sticking risk.

(If you can tell the difference between pellicle and not in the final product, you are a much better salmon wizard than I am.)

- Never had them stick
- Wouldn't want to block smoke with paper
- Pellicle is good for smoking salmon. If you have time there is no downside.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Hasselblad posted:

Yes. Do not wait for your smoker to be at the target temp before you put them on.
Are you going to dry brine, rinse and allow to dry/pellicle? (you should)

I slice into about hand sized pieces, cover entirely with a mix of mostly brown sugar and some salt. cover with saran wrap and fridge overnight. Rinse about noonish and put on racks in the fridge for a few hours. Smoke. Eat. Poop.

Thanks! Any tips on temp/time?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

10 Beers posted:

Thanks! Any tips on temp/time?

I do them at ~190 for about 2 hours or so.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hasselblad posted:

- Never had them stick
- Wouldn't want to block smoke with paper
- Pellicle is good for smoking salmon. If you have time there is no downside.

The paper doesn’t block smoke except to the skin (and smoke doesn’t penetrate skin), because it’s cut to match the size of the pieces.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

The paper doesn’t block smoke except to the skin (and smoke doesn’t penetrate skin), because it’s cut to match the size of the pieces.

I get skinless filet (or I remove the skin pre-brine). :shrug:
I am curious, do you (dry) brine yours whatsoever to get moisture out of the pieces? Skipping the overnight dry brine and forgoing the pellicle is understandable, but if dry brining and rinsing, it really does make a difference in finished product.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 1, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah, I get with skin. That would be different indeed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Walmart has 2 x 15lb Kingsford for $8 right now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Bottom Liner posted:

Thanks, I'm running low and missed the memorial day sale.

As for weird things, tossed a chicken on (did it beer can style so I would have some room for corn on the cob). That drat bird came to temp in about an hour. Grill temps were about 350.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Bottom Liner posted:

I just paid $6 Canadian each for 8.82lb bags and that is the absolute cheapest charcoal per pound I can find.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VERTiG0 posted:

I just paid $6 Canadian each for 8.82lb bags and that is the absolute cheapest charcoal per pound I can find.

gently caress, did you steal it and leave a tip? That’s a great price for the frozen (sweating) north.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well bought a bag of 30 lbs lump "Western" brand for $10.

Found it somewhat funny for Walmart standards. Rips and tears in the bag...someone placed tape to cover them up.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I was watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39ii9LvnDoE

And I saw they break up their meat while smoking it and mop it with a vinegar pepper sauce. Looks like an interesting method.

I am wondering if I could try and apply this technique to my bullet smoker and a pork shoulder. Like I break it up once it gets to the stage that is possible and keep smoking it in a pan and mopping it in vinegar/pepper sauce. Instead of the regular method of smoking the shoulder in a single piece and breaking it up first when it's done.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I was watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39ii9LvnDoE

And I saw they break up their meat while smoking it and mop it with a vinegar pepper sauce. Looks like an interesting method.

I am wondering if I could try and apply this technique to my bullet smoker and a pork shoulder. Like I break it up once it gets to the stage that is possible and keep smoking it in a pan and mopping it in vinegar/pepper sauce. Instead of the regular method of smoking the shoulder in a single piece and breaking it up first when it's done.

I've seen that done with whole hog, basically ripping out all the bones near the end and leaving it in the skin, but I've never seen that done with just a shoulder before. I don't see why it wouldn't work well.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
has anyone tried these wireless bluetooth digital cooking thermometers? Im wondering if it is worth spending $50 on one, so i wont have to open the door to my electric smoker.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

CoolHandMat posted:

has anyone tried these wireless bluetooth digital cooking thermometers? Im wondering if it is worth spending $50 on one, so i wont have to open the door to my electric smoker.

I use a thermoworks smoke, same concept but better range and wall penetration than bluetooth.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

xsf421 posted:

I use a thermoworks smoke, same concept but better range and wall penetration than bluetooth.

Yes, buy a Smoke. I just tossed a cheaper wireless thermometer when it finally failed, and the smoke is soooooo much better in build quality and interface. Tried it for the first time yesterday and am very pleased, despite the price. Buy once, cry once.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I had nonstop problems with my smoke having one probe or the other go crazy on me, but I bought a Flame Boss and now I just use its probes instead.

Will I regret smoking ribs ahead of time and refrigerating them overnight, then saucing and reheating? I have a capacity problem to figure out for a party.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

CoolHandMat posted:

I had an Igrill Mini for all of one month before I got so fed up with it that I gave it to a friend and bought a Smoke. Ymmv depending on your phone but that thing gave me so many problems trying to connect to it/losing connection/having no display without a phone so it's useless if you can't connect.

They'res probably better Bluetooth thermometers but holy poo poo I hated that pne and swore them off.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I had nonstop problems with my smoke having one probe or the other go crazy on me, but I bought a Flame Boss and now I just use its probes instead.

Will I regret smoking ribs ahead of time and refrigerating them overnight, then saucing and reheating? I have a capacity problem to figure out for a party.

My crowds prefer ribs done this way, even if last minute sauce and sear makes me a little sad inside. Save yourself the trouble and go through with your plan shamelessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
If you reheat them covered in the oven at 225 until they're warm, it will taste almost like you made them that day.