Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Knives depend on where you are (not just the state but the city) and the kind of knife. Taser >>> knife though, I would probably carry a taser if it were legal here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
America is the only country where if your Tinder date goes well, you not only have to ask if they have condoms but also where they wear their service weapon so you don't risk blowing your foot off in the undressing process

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Squashing Machine posted:

A local hero averted a catcalling incident today by dumping an entire magazine of .45 FMJ into the driver side door of the perp's LeSabre, a response which this sicko will be unlikely to forget in this life or the next, having died outside of battle and thus being unable to go to Valhalla

unironically this

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Girlfriend [21 F] is furious at me [21 M] after my grandmother spoke badly and derogatorily about her in Spanish right in front of her.

quote:

I’ve been dating this girl; we’ll call her Olivia, for 4 months. She is of Jamaican descent but born in the US. I was born in Cuba but came to the states when I was 1. I would say I’m very, very Americanized though I grew up speaking Spanish at home. The area we currently live in doesn’t have many Latino people so it's not assumed that people understand Spanish. When I started dating her I asked her if she could speak Spanish and she said “not really” and that her Spanish “sucked” and we didn’t really address it further.

I was really eager to introduce her to my family as I thought my my mom and dad would love her and they had been asking about her for a while. So I invited them to our house for dinner with My mom, my dad, my grandmother and my teenage brother. My abuela can’t speak English much at all but everyone else can. My abuela can be very judgmental and cranky and basically an rear end in a top hat at times, especially since her husband died and then she had a stroke 3 years ago. I told her before to be nice. However I also told them she couldn’t speak Spanish because that’s what I assumed.

So Olivia came over and everything was going good for the most part. She got along well with my family and my mom especially was super nice to her. However my grandmother decided she was in a nasty mood and started talking poo poo about her. She said that she didn’t expect Olivia to be so "dark" and how she look more “African”, she asked if she came from a good family, and said if my grandfather was alive he would not approve of her and it’s better to date a girl who can speak Spanish since and most black people won’t even bother to learn it. She even said that my last girlfriend was much prettier than her (This is honestly blatantly untrue. Olivia is gorgeous and most people say so) She made sure not to make it obvious she was talking about her and didn’t gesture to her at all and mostly faced the TV when she spoke.

I was mortified and couldn't believe she was saying all this. I told her to stop twice but since I assumed Olivia didn't understand her I mostly brushed it off and tried to ignore her since I didn't want to make a scene and I didn't want to make it apparent to Olivia that she was talking about her. Olivia is a the biggest sweet heart but is really insecure and has suffered from anxiety in the past. and I just didn't want to make it worse. My mom told her to be quiet as well but my grandmother just did not give a gently caress and continues with snide comments. To make thing worse my dad and brother just laughed at the absurdity of the situation. I don’t think they really found it funny but it was more of a “there she goes again, crazy abeula” type thing.

Olivia acted pleasant for most of the night but then suddenly claimed she had migraines and she needed to leave. She thanked them all but left in a hurry. I already suspected she could understood some of what was said and I felt terrible. After she left I told off my grandmother for how she acted. I tried calling Olivia that night, but she ignored my calls until the next evening when she finally answered.

I asked if she was okay and she admitted that she took Spanish for 5 years and although she has no confidence to speak it, her Spanish comprehension is fairly good. I apologized profusely but she was angry. She was mad since I didn’t tell her I had a "racist family" She was mad that my dad and brother laughed at her expense and was furious that I didn’t defend her or stand up to my grandmother. I tried to explain the whole "not wanting to cause a scene" thing but she didn’t buy it at all. She said she felt like an idiot because her friend told her a lot of Cubans are racist and she defended me so much and accused her friend of being a bigoted jerk and how much I embarrassed her and made her feel like crap.

So I just don’t know what to do to fix this. She is furious at me and I understand why but I was really serious with her and in love with her we work so well together. I don’t want to lose her over this. I feel like she thinks my whole family are racist assholes as well when it’s definitely not the case. My Abuela sucks but my family has no choice but to put up with her. My mom and dad do not have a racist bone in their body and my brother isn’t either. I agree my dad and bother were lovely for laughing at my grandmother's rants but they didn’t know what else to do and were more laughing at how obnoxious she was being.

Is there any way I can possible come back from this? Anyone have similar experiences? I just don't know what to do to make it up to her. She really is angry and I feel like I hurt her a lot.

TL;DR: invited my black girlfriend to my family's home. My grandmother was an rear end in a top hat and said racist comments about her in Spanish thinking that she couldn't understand. I didn't say much to defend her because I didn't want to cause a scene and I also assumed she couldn't understand. Turns out she did and is now furious at me. I'm not sure what to do.

[UPDATE] Girlfriend [21 F] is furious at me [21 M] after my grandmother spoke badly and derogatorily about her in Spanish right in front of her

quote:

Original Post: https://old.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/8sf4ql/girlfriend_21_f_is_furious_at_me_21_m_after_my/

(tl:dr- grandmother said racist and derogatory things about my girlfriend in spanish right in front of her not knowing she could understand some spanish.)

People gave me a really hard time in my original post and it really made me realize how much of a dumbass I was being. I apologized profusely to Olivia and called out my extremely stupid behavior and basically begged for forgiveness. After a couple more days of being mad at me she was willing to talk to my parents and my brother who apologized and told her that they really loved her and that they didn’t mean to hurt her. They tried to explain the situation with my grandmother and why she behaved the way she did and they were just trying to minimize drama but that what she was saying was wrong and they should have stood up to her. My mother got her a gift set from bath and body works, costume jewelry and chocolate to go along with the apology.

So Olivia did forgive me and my family which I am so relieved about because I really am crazy about this girl. I’m definitely not going to take this for granted. A week ago my brother, Olivia and I went to an amusement park and my brother and her actually got along really well and she’s definitely convinced he doesn’t secretly hate black people. (I never thought my brother was racist - when he was in middle school he “dated” a black girl.) He's only 15 so I definitely don't blame him for what happened. It was my dad's fault for laughing. But yeah he really likes her and is glad she doesn't hate him. My mom invited Olivia to a beach with our family on Saturday (My abuela stayed at home) and although she mostly stayed by me and my brother she seemed to get along reasonably with my parents and seems to believe their apology (she was a bit hesitant to go).

I have told my grandmother that if she wants me to be actively part of her life she must apologize to Olivia. My grandmother actually agreed to apologize but my gf doesn’t want to talk to her and I told her I will not force her to be around her but I did tell her that my grandmother is sorry for the way she behaved.

So yeah that's my update. I appreciate all the replies no matter how harsh. It really made my realize my stupidity. Still have a lot of growing up to do but I am really happy she took me back.

tl;dr: Olivia forgave me after my parents and I apologized and we are still together. She still understandably doesn't want to talk to my grandmother though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Milotic posted:

Expensive jewelry was stolen from my [27 M] GF's [26 F] house. I am a recovering addict and her parents [60s M/F] accused me of stealing it.

So he stole it right?

does he have a question in that post? or even a relationship problem?

if there's one thing that smack addicts do other than heroin it's steal things. sorry, good for you for being on the mend, but you're gonna deal with that stigma for a very long time. business as usual

also he totally stole it and he's probably relapsed

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nessa posted:

Until I was 19 and was really sick on the toilet from my period, so she took me to get tested for anemia. No anemia, just dysmenorrhea like she had when she was my age.

Honestly read that as "dysmenorah" and had a weird mental image of secret bat mitzvah practices.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Anne Whateley posted:

A lot of this should be covered in health class, just make sure she knows she can always come to you with any issues. If you know there's an adult woman she likes, an aunt or a friend's mom or anything, you can also be in touch with her.
I got my period at the beginning of 6th grade (I was 11). Other than a very bare bones sex ed class we had for one day in 5th grade, I didn't have a health class until I think 7th grade? Definitely didn't learn about how to buy tampons or bras or anything during it.

Haifisch posted:

Dad’s (61M) wife (34F) was gifted a shirt at her baby shower that’s insulting to my late mother. I (23F) want her to believe that I’m not upset.

"I threw a surprise baby shower for a pregnant person who didn't want one, because I did. It went badly because I'm an idiot who had no idea who to invite. How do I make sure she knows I'm not upset that it went so badly she cried in front of everyone?"

Milotic posted:

My [24 M] girlfriend [23 F] said some shocking things about being harassed in the past. She casually mentioned always keeping pepper spray and a knife on her, and wanting to get a gun too

Also, lol at being shocked that a woman had those experiences. I had a guy harass me when I was walking to school last year. We were alone street, like 8 am, and he kept engaging when I'd try walk away. Luckily after stopping me twice to hit on me he gave up. No idea if telling him to gently caress off would have worked or escalated. Wasn't going to turn my back and walk away and hope he didn't do something.
I posted on Facebook because it annowed me, but also because like c'mon, using "do you cheat, because I'd gently caress the poo poo out of you!" is a shameful pick up line and deserves to be ridiculed. Most of my guy friends were shocked, especially the young college kids. Shocked! I live in a city, this happens every time I leave the house, just usually with less persistence.

e: quoting is hard

Araenna fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 5, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Nessa posted:

Buy her the feminine hygiene products that she needs, take her to a store to get fitted for a bra and try to be there for her if she has any questions.

I didn't even get fitted for a bra when I was growing up because I didn't want to talk to my mom about it. The only bras I had in high school were hand-me-downs from a friend of the family's daughter.

I wasn’t afraid to talk to my mom about that. She just went ‘well I wear a medium in this brand of bra, so I bought you some mediums’. When my breasts were spilling out the bottom? ‘IDK, buy a large’

She also said my hellish cramps were ‘what every woman has, stop being dramatic’, and when I had to use tampons because of swim team? ‘There’s instructions in the box of OBs’

I didn’t see an OBGYN until I turned 18, when my dad said I was ‘an adult now’ and it wasn’t until grad school that I found out I was wearing a ridiculously wrong bra-size. One of my cohort saw the outline of my bra band through the back of my shirt one time and started pulling at it, asking what size I wore. I’d been wearing a 36 B for about a decade by that point. She measured for me, since she worked at a lingerie store before. I was a 34 D.

Thanks Mom.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 5, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

I didn’t see an OBGYN until I turned 18, when my dad said I was ‘an adult now’ and it wasn’t until grad school that I found out I was wearing a ridiculously wrong bra-size. One of my cohort saw the outline of my bra band through the back of my shirt one time and started pulling at it, asking what size I wore. I’d been wearing a 36 B for about a decade by that point. She measured for me, since she worked at a lingerie store before. I was a 34 D.

Thanks Mom.

If it helps this is apparently a ridiculously common problem. I learned about it when I was maybe 20, when I had a bra-sizing-evangelist girlfriend who literally had to special-order her bras from some specialty site in England because American bra-sizing is so hosed-up. She probably would have done the same thing with accosting you over it at random.

Apparently the issue is that most women get sized at stores that want to give them the most common sizing so they can offload the bra size they have the most of rather than the one that would actually fit best, and so a disturbingly high percentage of women think they're a 36C or B

loquacius fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 5, 2018

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Milotic posted:

My [24 M] girlfriend [23 F] said some shocking things about being harassed in the past. She casually mentioned always keeping pepper spray and a knife on her, and wanting to get a gun too

This is such stupid rear end American logic. It is very much not normal to consider carrying a gun for any situation in which you may feel in danger. Have pepper spray, your friends and family on speed dial, maybe a knife, etc when you go out partying with your friends, definitely, but concealed carrying a loaded firearm is, uh, not the answer to deterring harassment as a woman. Sexual harassment is a major fuckin issue, but goddamn, don't carry a gun to combat it. A huge slice of America thinking exactly like this is one of many reasons why we have systemic societal issues with gun violence. :blastu:

Dude is a dang moron for disbelieving his girlfriend's experiences with sexual harassment and her uneasiness when out on the town, as if his mind has been blown. That stuff happens all the time and is extremely underreported and swept under the rug.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

This is such stupid rear end American logic. It is very much not normal to consider carrying a gun for any situation in which you may feel in danger. Have pepper spray, your friends and family on speed dial, maybe a knife, etc when you go out partying with your friends, definitely, but concealed carrying a loaded firearm is, uh, not the answer to deterring harassment as a woman. Sexual harassment is a major fuckin issue, but goddamn, don't carry a gun to combat it. A huge slice of America thinking exactly like this is one of many reasons why we have systemic societal issues with gun violence. :blastu:

Dude is a dang moron for disbelieving his girlfriend's experiences with sexual harassment and her uneasiness when out on the town, as if his mind has been blown. That stuff happens all the time and is extremely underreported and swept under the rug.

Disagree

:blastu:Street harassers
:blastu:Incels
:blastu:Nice guys
:blastu:Punks
:blastu:Thugs
:blastu:Weirdos

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

stop minimizing her experience you misogynist

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

why is it normal and good to carry a knife for protection, but carrying a gun for the same reason is crazy...?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

like surely thats an either or neither, you can't have it both ways

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Crimpolioni posted:

why is it normal and good to carry a knife for protection, but carrying a gun for the same reason is crazy...?

If you're going to carry around a talisman to ward off predatory men, it's probably better to make it one that is more difficult to successfully use in an attempted suicide, poses less of a risk to your immediate family/housemates, and is less likely to accidentally go off and strike a bystander when you attempt to drunkenly retrieve it from the floor of a 4am bar

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Doesn't have to be sexual harassment, I get harassed on the street regularly and I'm a fat ugly white man. Sometimes people just son't leave you the gently caress alone, and by sometimes I mean all the time.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

oh poo poo that guy yelling at me on the street has escalated to assaulting me, I'd better call my mom

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Take all men's guns and give them to women

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

John Lee posted:

Doesn't have to be sexual harassment, I get harassed on the street regularly and I'm a fat ugly white man. Sometimes people just son't leave you the gently caress alone, and by sometimes I mean all the time.

How many have you shot?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I have many weighty and important opinions on America's rampant plague of women-shooting-catcallers gun violence, for example: fart

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Squashing Machine posted:

If you're going to carry around a talisman to ward off predatory men, it's probably better to make it one that is more difficult to successfully use in an attempted suicide, poses less of a risk to your immediate family/housemates, and is less likely to accidentally go off and strike a bystander when you attempt to drunkenly retrieve it from the floor of a 4am bar

yeah but like my point is either there's a reasonable expectation that your night on the town is going to end in mortal kombat, in which case you deffo should have a gun or even two guns and some body armour or there's not, in which case you shouldnt be carrying around a lethal weapon at all when you go out drinking, even if it is just a safe and harmless knife

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

CheesyDog posted:

unironically this

Hell yeah

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Every once in a while in every thread the topic of gun control comes up and you are reminded you're in GBS

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I just put keys between my knuckles. I mean, I doubt it'll help if I get attacked but it makes me feel badass. :krad:

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Crimpolioni posted:

yeah but like my point is either there's a reasonable expectation that your night on the town is going to end in mortal kombat, in which case you deffo should have a gun or even two guns and some body armour or there's not, in which case you shouldnt be carrying around a lethal weapon at all when you go out drinking, even if it is just a safe and harmless knife

Eh, yeah, but a decent amount of people feel the need to carry something around to make them feel safer and more in control of their circumstances regardless of how much clear and present danger they're in, so it's probably a lesser evil to encourage them to opt for the Leatherman in their purse over a giant Dirty Harry cannon (though it seems in OP's GF's case to have progressed from knives to guns by bits and measures anyway, so maybe it's all a slippery slope toward Total Gender Warfare)

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I just kill everyone who looks at me funny.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

loquacius posted:

Every once in a while in every thread the topic of gun control comes up and you are reminded you're in GBS

*tosses a golden apple labeled CIRCUMCISION into the middle of the crowd*

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

How long until the NRA becomes #woke and invokes street harassment to make unrestricted access to fully-automatic weapons a feminist issue, I wonder

What if you're swarmed by waves and waves of dozens of overaggressive gropers, huh? What then???

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

loquacius posted:

How long until the NRA becomes #woke and invokes street harassment to make unrestricted access to fully-automatic weapons a feminist issue, I wonder

What if you're swarmed by waves and waves of dozens of overaggressive gropers, huh? What then???

I see you missed out on their "did you know guns can be pink, laaaadies?" campaign

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The NRA is already pushing guns to women playing on those fears (and doing way better than the old "but pink!!" tactics), check out this month's Glamour https://www.glamour.com/story/how-the-nra-is-trying-to-reach-women

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

The NRA is already pushing guns to women playing on those fears (and doing way better than the old "but pink!!" tactics), check out this month's Glamour https://www.glamour.com/story/how-the-nra-is-trying-to-reach-women

It's a no-brainer for them really

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

*tosses a golden apple labeled CIRCUMCISION into the middle of the crowd*

Do you have to tip the doc, or only if he’s over 6ft?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

blugu64 posted:

Do you have to tip the doc, or only if he’s over 6ft?

The doc gets a tip as part of the deal. Or it that :thejoke:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Crimpolioni posted:

There's a huge massive major difference between pulling out a knife to threaten/stab and a goddamn gun that fires lethal ammo at your target. If you can't see that, then you're probably American and think shooting another human being is the answer to every problem.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

luv 2 get in a fight with a safe, nonlethal knife

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

luv 2 get in a fight with a safe, nonlethal knife

Hmm yeah, a knife certainly has the same lethal killing power as a firearm. Thanks for informing me. :)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Once you pull out the weapon, there's a chance you'll scare someone off with a gun (brandishing is illegal though), and guns are way easier for untrained idiots to use. If you pull out a knife, there's a good chance the bad guy will try to take it away, you'll have no loving idea how to use a knife, everybody is going to wind up bleeding to death.

In conclusion, take a self-defense class where they'll teach you to run the gently caress away.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

loquacius posted:

There's organizations like the Pink Pistols that are left-wing and market specifically to LGBT people and women. They're the ones who are likely at risk of attack simply from existing at times (especially trans people) and being armed is a very good equalizer for the kinds of situations they can end up in.

Hmm yeah, a knife certainly has the same lethal killing power as a firearm. Thanks for informing me. :)

I'm honestly much more scared of blades than guns because a gun has to be pointed at you and the trigger pulled to do harm. You can grab it and push it away or yank it out of someone's grasp. With a knife, even accidental contact is going to cut you open and there's no real way to get it away from you without hurting yourself.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"there's too many guns on the streets, let's start by disarming women" - a reasonable guy you should listen to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Anne Whateley posted:

Once you pull out the weapon, there's a chance you'll scare someone off with a gun (brandishing is illegal though), and guns are way easier for untrained idiots to use. If you pull out a knife, there's a good chance the bad guy will try to take it away, you'll have no loving idea how to use a knife, everybody is going to wind up bleeding to death.

In conclusion, take a self-defense class where they'll teach you to run the gently caress away.

It's really, really hosed up to advocate for people pulling out a gun when they feel threatened. Once again, it's one of the very many reasons why we have systematic gun violence issues in America. You should be pulling out your gun if and only if you are willing to kill your target. That's the whole point and why a gun is hugely massively loving different than a knife.

I agree that a self-defense class is much more effective than a firearm or knife to combat sexual harassment, yes.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 5, 2018