Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The world didn't get covered in magma? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
May I get dwarfed at some point?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Excellent, I had a part in The Work!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

IPA Regulations posted:

Update tomorrow. You won't like it.

So the update is artichoke?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
This can only mean good things! :frogon:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Malachite, 569

The 5th month of the Overseerhip of IPA Regulations was one that saw a brisk undercurrent of anticipation sweep throughtout the fortress, not least the Overseer herself.

All the required masonry was complete, and now last minute tunnels were dug in preparation to finally tap the magma pipe and bring the Plan to fruition and the undead siege to a quick and clean end.

Those extra masons are retasked back to mining duties:

StrixNebulosa and StrangeAeon are among the most diligent workers of this delicate period, placing the last magma-safe mechanisms on the hatches over the new Welcome Corridor.

The unnamed farmer/recruit that had taken over the craftsdwarf workshop last month completes their work. A figurine. Of wood. How disturbing.

StrixNebulosa and A Bad Place have found their way into the other side of the New Works from the planned magma-breach tunnel below...

...with StrixNebulosa then returning below and helping GoldenPrice with the breaching area.

More dire noises on the memorial level. A little fainter this time through the walls. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

While the Rough Toes, still stationed over the gatehouse, are busy making the nearest zombies into walking pincushions.

So close now... TheCog takes over the shift in the stiflingly warm tunnels from StrixNebulosa, joining GoldenPrice.

Meanwhile, on the first cavern level, the nacsent Live Baiters had yet to make an appearance at their station after nearly two weeks, citing the difficult slopes in the area and conspicuously not mentioning the horrific noises being heard from the lower cavern levels.

An easier to reach waypoint is set for them, right by their erstwhile fishery. They arrivec (eventually) in good order.

And make a rather startling discovery.

What is first assumed to be a large, wet hillock among the gloomy rough stalagmites and pillars is actually discovered to be the vast bulk of a Forgotten Beast - thankfully dead, lying in a great pool of blood.

On closer inspection, the Live Baiters find the body of the human crossbowoman Frionnel nearby, badly mangled but still recognizable.

It appears Frionnel took it upon herself to rid the world of the beast known as Udac - alone, and with no thought to her own life.

And she succeeded.

It appears that as the beast charged Frionnel got not one - but two shots off at it. The first damaged the creature's lung. And the second, slashed straight through the artery in its throat and spilled its blood across the cavern even as it clumsily kept swinging, and she determinedly avoided it even unto her eventually succumbing to her injuries.

We hope she died with satisfaction knowing the beast was done - it slumped over after finally killing her and remained there until it breathed its last, to be found by the Live Baiters alongside the hero Frionnel.

It's hoped this lesson on the dangers of the Fishery level are not lost on them.

But this tale of heroics is but a sidebar, for IPA Regulation's attention is fully elsewhere. The magma is finally ready to be breached. All the hatches leading to it have been locked to prevent any foolhardy shortcuts by pets or dwarves that will result in a fiery death.

And the order is finally given.

McClay does the honours.

With others soon joining, notably StrixNebulosa and A Bad Place not wanting the amateurs to have all the glory.

It's a textbook breach from above, with not a single dwarf or even partial dwarf lost.

As intense heat blasts up at them through the new channels they open; below their feet, the magma flows through the new paths and courses down through veins opened by dwarven hands.

Creeping at first slowly then with increasing vigour down the slope to build up behind the initial bulkhead to the Welcome Corridor reservoir.

Walls are hastily planned as the final step to block off the shortcut-corridor from the control levers to the dump hatches.

Finally, when these are built, the dwarves will be ready to open the bulkhead and allow the reservoir to fill.

Then it would be down to some brave dwarf to breach the path to the Welcome Corridor out onto the field and let the siege inside...

Finally, after months of preparation - more than 30 magma-proof hatches and grates, over 60 mechanisms all painstakingly laid and connected by the dwarves of Valleysilences - the Plan was Ready.

The slightly warmer breeze of Spring could be felt on the battlements through which the Rough Toes still sighted the quarry. Soon the dead fields out front would be awash with the hot, foul smoke of the undead burning below.

Let it send a message to all those who would hear: you are powerful indeed, you who hold the secrets of life and death. But you are not all powerful. Dwarves live here. You sent your army, and dwarves live here still, and... wait, why is the wind grown so cold?

Cold and dark, what of the spring, the magma, the Plan...?

IPA Regulations awoke as though from a trance. Such a vivid dream she had had. Everyone had been listening to her. She was saving the fortress! Spring had come and with it new hope, against the dreaded enemies gathered outside...

But no... this is Granite, the turn of the year. Armored zombies overwhelming the fiercest warriors, brave dwarves dying screams, an 'artefact' that is actually just a wooden figurine: just echos of the fears prevalant in every day life in Valleysilences. The Plan, the New Works, all of it... just a child's vivid daydream. Or perhaps - a premonition. But if she told anyone, would they even believe?

-Fin-

So, here is the deal (and remember I did warn you, you wouldn't like it): The save became corrupted at some point this week, after I played this update but before writing. On loading, it hangs on 'Loading World Information' or sometimes other stages like 'Fortress Information', and the dwarf fortress application starts to eat memory until it closes.

The bug and/or several variants of it is tracked on the bay12 tracker thing, but there's no workaround save 'go to an earlier backup', which I don't have. Of course, in searching this issue I find that yup, DFHack has a backup feature. I wasn't using it. Yes, there's a save per season feature in the base game. It wasn't turned on.

Since out of the box the game just saves when you close the fortress, there's just the one save file. And it's hosed. So the nearest backup is the start of my turn.

I tried running in administrator, doing a fresh install without DFHack, moving to the newest version even, and trying it on my desktop. Nada.

I'm really sorry, I should have been making copies of the save after each update I guess. But hindsight is 20/20, and to be honest I never encountered this before to my memory. I had forts be unplayable due to FPS death before but at least the save opened - so I wasn't prepared for this possibility. No one is more pissed than me at all the tedious, messy dwarven engineering lost and you'll have to take my word for it the next update, Geshud willing, would have had crispy volcano-style undead, in glorious ascii HD .gif format even. But instead, Chekov's gun has been jammed with a large set of narrative blue balls. Or something.

So, long story short: Save corrupted. Turn void. Overseer sad, will broken. Please backup your saves people.

I need a dwarf fortress break but if someone takes over the reins for now I would consider throwing my name in again in future.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 5, 2018

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:negative:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Bugger. I was enjoying fishing and all...

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Ah, nuts. You were right, we didn't like it.

Sorry you lost all that work, IPA. I was really enjoying your turn.

You were the last one on the overseer list, too...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdhhQhqi_AE

....at least I'm alive again?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

Yes, there's a save per season feature in the base game. It wasn't turned on.
Me, playing my turn: "That's weird, seasonal saves are off. Eh, they probably just take so long with a fort this size that a previous overseer turned them off. I'm sure it'll be fine."

Oops.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The narrative twist was fine, but still. :negative:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Guess someone needs to get hold of Addamere to find out what happens next? I don't have PMs so I can't check if they do.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well I for one still here. If that means I have to post loads of filler. Then god dammit I will!

(though I can't take the file, not having the game, nor a clue on how to play said game)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

"oh cool I've done a lot this update, lots of working, I like it!"

.... oh. Oh. I'm so sorry, IPA.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Foul Ole Ron posted:

(though I can't take the file, not having the game, nor a clue on how to play said game)

The first issue is fixable; the second is an advantage.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dallbun posted:

The first issue is fixable; the second is an advantage.

Truth. DF games have no victory conditions, and since you can't win every game ends either in disaster or boring FPS death. This tempts experienced players into manufacturing disaster, which isn't nearly as fun as when it happens naturally.

The most important trait for an overseer isn't game competence, but being able describe the action in and entertaining way (and to upload a poo poo ton of screenshots). Oh, and having a bunch of free time. It takes way longer to put together an LP than you expect.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have no free time. What ever time I have I'm going to MS paint some Vallysilences moments.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I'm next on the list (the plan is to wrap it around), but I haven't had a chance to get to it yet.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Thanks for giving what you could turn-wise.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Many apoligies for the delay. I was trying (unsuccessfully) to migrate the save to a newer version, and then I fell into some nasty work troubles. I should have an update in a few days.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yay! :neckbeard:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Aww yeah. Redeem my failure Gnoman. Renew!

Renew!

https://youtu.be/_wjXpTDuHiE

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can do a turn

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

If you're sure you can do it, go ahead. You haven't had a turn yet, so you get priority.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll let you go :)

I meant sometime after you.

I need to catch up on the thread before I do anything!

Addamere fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 25, 2018

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

1 Granite, 569

I wake. This vessel seems to resent my presence on some deep level, although she knows not what I have done for her and all her kind. She, and all that she knows, would be dead had I not intervened, pulling time backwards as far as I could go. The invasion will still come, but I have left enough in her mind to allow her to thwart it given the opportunity. And I have given her that opportunity, for I have left enough in their minds to know that she is their only hope. I am nearly spent, and must return to my slumber.

1 Granite, 569
Seems I was moving about before I woke up this morning, judging by the gibberish that I seem to have scrawled here. I wonder what I was trying to write.

Anyway, I have been appointed overseer again, most unexpectedly. This is good, because I smell death on the wind, and am sure that we are about to be sorely tested. My first task was to look over our military, and it is a good thing that I did so. I have never even heard of such a disasterously bad idea. I wasn’t really paying attention, but it seems that some fool drafted virtually everybody, despite there not being enough good equipment to go around – and despite the fact that sending this many raw troops into combat is essentially murder. To make matters worse, this fool wasn’t even smart enough to keep the crossbowdwarves and archers separate from the close-in troops. I will rectify this immediately.

After reorganizing, we have two squads of melee troops and one of archers, for a full 30 soldiers. It will take a little while for the equipment to get sorted out, but I am ordering the troops mustered in the hopes that this will hasten the process. In order to protect those members of the fortress that are not soldiers, I am preparing the dining hall for fortification. In the event of invasion, all noncombatants shall proceed to the dining hall (which is stocked with enough food and drink to last some time) and lock the door behind them. When further time permits, I will arrange more durable protection for this refuge.

Post reformation, the defenders of the fortress are:
The Tangles Of Silver
Megane
Hitler’s Gay Secret
Gnoman
Drakenel
Vinny Possum
Facebook Aunt
Thranguy
Corbeau
Turol
Phallic Phalanges
The Reclusive Crypts
Theshim
So Math
Epsilon
A Bad Place
Divine Coffee Binge
Pharnakes
U Brexit ukip it
boisterous
Frenzy The Killbot
Lost Cosmonaut
Archers Ho!
Purple XVI
Jamsque
Balon
Burnaboy
InwardChaos
HardDiskD
Vodkahead
Captn Ardvrk
Crystalgate
Guarstine

1 Granite 569 - Continued

They’re Here.

Our battle plan is simple. The civilians will hunker down as planned, while the soldiers finish arming and retreat further into the fort. Our guests will serve as distractions while we get ready. As we have yet to see any undead rising inside the fort, we must assume that it is under divine protection. Thus, we will fight here, in the hopes that anything that dies stays dead.

7 Granite 569
Clearly, the enemy is waiting to mass forces before assaulting, but this is acceptable. An open field battle away from our sacred volcano favors the foe, for any that fall will become his allies. We are nearly ready. Let them come.

Bit of a short update, but it is taking a bit to get back into the swing of things.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
My body is not ready!

:iit:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Why am I in the military I'm like a thousand years old (and also a coward)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Zombie apocalypse already? Off to a good start.

I assume now we're back in the original timeline I'll go back to being completely invisible and not doing anything. Ah well.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
To the death..... or what ever happens to undead when die again.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

u brexit ukip it posted:

Why am I in the military I'm like a thousand years old (and also a coward)

hey you've got lots of experience in not dying

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
drat it I'm supposed to be a reserve occupation! You will regret this when you are lying in bed with your arm rotting off from a poorly dressed wound. :argh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
my helmed spears nooooo

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Prav posted:

hey you've got lots of experience in not dying

not nearly enough

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm not a speardwarf anymore? What even am i good at aside from that? :saddowns:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm out of the military :sigh:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It's okay, guys, the dead are attacking. We'll probably be drafted again in order to try and take down the now-zombified military.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Black Robe posted:

It's okay, guys, the dead are attacking. We'll probably be drafted again in order to try and take down the now-zombified military.

This right here is why multiple, independent squads is a good idea. You never know when your military will all randomly die to a syndrome or become zombies or vampires or werecritters or whatever, so having a larger reserve unit on standby that can kill your killers is good. Of course, then you need to worry about those guys getting overrun, so you need an even larger reserve-killing reserve, ad infinitum until FPS death. Alternately, a lever that floods the place with lava.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Addamere posted:

Alternately, Additionally, a lever that floods the place with lava.

fify