Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well gently caress it. whether he was joking or not, no need to squander an opportunity to be outaged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

hawowanlawow posted:

well gently caress it. whether he was joking or not, no need to squander an opportunity to be outaged
:jerkbag:

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Come on, John Cleese's shtick has always been to be rude and speak offensively. He insulted Graham Chapman in his funeral. The fact that he uses a slur for gay people is intended to be provocative in the context (of being diverse at the time). Or is being provocative forbidden nowadays

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

In order to get a role, you have to have already gotten a role. That sounds pretty reasonable and also not exploitative.

Unless you get a principle role on a SAG signatory film or show, the most likely way to join SAG is to be hired as a SAG extra for three days' worth of filming.

quote:

Every production must hire a certain amount of SAG extras for each day of filming. For example on a feature, the first 30 extras have to be SAG extras. After that they hire non-union (you) extras. Occasionally one of the SAG extras doesn't show up for work or is considerably late. If there are more than 30 extras, they need to hand out 30 SAG "vouchers." Therefore one lucky non-union extra gets to fill the empty SAG slot. In addition to a major pay increase, that voucher goes toward the three that you need to join SAG.

Here it is at the discretion of the Assistant Directors to choose the non-union extra that will receive the SAG voucher. At this point it is good to have the ADs (Assistant Directors) in your corner. There is no magic way to get the SAG voucher, but you realize who you need to please while working. Stay out of their way while they work, be as helpful as possible without falling all over yourself trying to please them. Everyone else that is a non-union extra is trying to get the same thing you want, so be tactful and sincere. Eventually, if you can get a relationship with an AD and work with him or her several times, hopefully they will remember you. Extend yourself to the ADs that know you by face, learn and remember their names and do your job well and you should get the vouchers in no time.

An AD's job is very difficult, high stress, and demanding. Choose your times wisely to make conversation with them. If you had a good experience with a particular AD get their mailing address from the DGA directory and write them a thank you note. They will probably remember you the next time and may request you specifically.

Oh and the initiation fee is $3000 up front.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Come on, John Cleese's shtick has always been to be rude and speak offensively. He insulted Graham Chapman in his funeral. The fact that he uses a slur for gay people is intended to be provocative in the context (of being diverse at the time). Or is being provocative forbidden nowadays

Since it became lazy as gently caress comedy that indiscriminately validates lovely people's racist/misogynist/homophobic world views, yes. Get funnier or gently caress off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Using the same insults in comedy as a racist/sexist/etc would use in a hate crime is a pretty bad look.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Come on, John Cleese's shtick has always been to be rude and speak offensively. He insulted Graham Chapman in his funeral.

And you're offering all this in his defense.

I think back on Cleese's classic roles in and beyond Monty Python, and nothing especially offensive comes to mind. I guess he saved it for funerals.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you are really missing the point of the joke

his show was progressive, but he called Chapman a poof. it's a subversion of expectations

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

It totally is. We built a special jail just for edgelords who have always been assholes but think it's dreadfully unfair that times have changed and people don't think they're funny anymore.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's an obvious joke answer to a completely asinine question that has then been taken out of context as a serious point.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

I don't get why people feel like defending this sort of thing. If you're being provocative on purpose why on earth would you need defending? Isn't it exactly what they expected and wanted to happen? If he had just been a rando, olde dude would you have defended him?
But I guess I have to apologize to all the lovely people who made monkey jokes at my expense because they were just joking and are just provocative people.

E: I get the joke and I still think it's dumb.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

And you're offering all this in his defense.

I think back on Cleese's classic roles in and beyond Monty Python, and nothing especially offensive comes to mind. I guess he saved it for funerals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

John Cleese: our show was diverse, we even had a poof!

Tween who knows nothing about Cleese or Chapman: omg who is this old man who just said a bad word???

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

hawowanlawow posted:

Tween who knows nothing about Cleese or Chapman: omg who is this old man who just said a bad word???

Lol
e: content.

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Jul 5, 2018

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
There's a difference between pearl-clutching/"this offends my sensibilities" and "this reinforces negative stereotypes about an underclass and emboldens the people who want to dehumanize them and cause them harm", and it's stupid and reductive to hold them both under the umbrella of "offensive".

Cleese's eulogy for Chapman, the Fawlty Towers sketch just posted, most of Monty Python - that was intended to provoke pearl-clutching. "Anything but mindless good taste". It did no damage except to social norms.

But "I identify as a black lesbian in transition" does damage. If nothing else it reinforces bigots' belief that trans women are just "men pretending to be women". At its best, if he doesn't realize it's harmful, it's mindless bad taste.

hawowanlawow posted:

I like how you're just repeating yourself because otherwise you'd have to engage with the conversation and discover that you might be wrong.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Yeah, exactly.

Post your Fawlty Towers episode tiers:

Communication Problems & Basil the Rat
v
The Germans & Touch of Class
v
v
v
v
the rest (still at least pretty good)

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
The Hotel Inspectors. Cribbins was amazing as the guest as awful ad Faulty, if in a different way.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Besesoth posted:

I like how you're just repeating yourself because otherwise you'd have to engage with the conversation and discover that you might be wrong.

trying to convince people on the internet not to be offended by Cleese's joke would be futile, I'm simply mocking them

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, exactly.

Post your Fawlty Towers episode tiers:

Communication Problems & Basil the Rat
v
The Germans & Touch of Class
v
v
v
v
the rest (still at least pretty good)

Basil the Rat (Tied for best line in entire show: "Otherwise OK?"
The Germans (Tied for best line in the entire run of the show: "Yes you did! You invaded Poland."
The Kippers and the Corpse (Tied for best line in show: "If the guest isn't singing "Oh What A Beautiful Morning," I don't immediately think, "Oh there's another snuffed it in the night, another name in the Fawlty Towers Book of Remembrance.")
... and so on.

Lol at the comments about Cleese and Python, in here. I especially enjoyed, "Well, maybe he should just learn to be funnier."

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
whether or not the point was to 'subvert expectations', arguing for objectivity in what old british man gets to make fun of minorities in what ways is a slippery slope that doesn't really lead anywhere useful (unless you consider 'congresspeople being racist on twitter 'somewhere useful'). 'i like this person so he can say bad stuff' is not a very nuanced or defensible position if it's your goal in life to make people not feel alienated.

you can probably argue (and possibly be correct) that he doesn't hold any particular disdain for black lesbian trans people (beyond the fact he thinks it would be funny to say he's one), but ultimately you're still defending an old british guy who was funny like 30 years ago when he said a bunch of inappropriate poo poo. if you want to, by all means feel free, but letting certain people who aren't minorities make fun of those oppressed groups isn't a net positive in the world and is probably actively damaging in the current social climate.

A 50S RAYGUN has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Jul 5, 2018

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Remember Stan/Loretta from Life of Brian? At best, this scene has aged very badly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBOQzSk14c

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Guys, no one's defending Gilliam. Some people are defending Cleese, and without taking a side I think it's fair to say that using the word "poof" once in a joke is not quite on the same level as what Gilliam was doing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

whether or not the point was to 'subvert expectations', arguing for objectivity in what old british man gets to make fun of minorities in what ways is a slippery slope that doesn't really lead anywhere useful (unless you consider 'congresspeople being racist on twitter 'somewhere useful'). 'i like this person so he can say bad stuff' is not a very nuanced or defensible position if it's your goal in life to make people not feel alienated.

you can probably argue (and possibly be correct) that he doesn't hold any particular disdain for black lesbian trans people (beyond the fact he thinks it would be funny to say he's one), but ultimately you're still defending an old british guy who was funny like 30 years ago when he said a bunch of inappropriate poo poo. if you want to, by all means feel free, but letting certain people who aren't minorities make fun of those oppressed groups isn't a net positive in the world and is probably actively damaging in the current social climate.

why are you are applying what I said about Cleese's joke to Gilliam's comment? what the gently caress are you talking about with congressmen tweeting? what imaginary person are you talking to?

a slippery loving slope??

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
well, i was speaking generally about people defending him, not necessarily here at this moment, but i can understand the confusion. rest assured i have no intention of actually engaging you about whatever bizarro opinions you hold about political correctness in comedy

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Remember Stan/Loretta from Life of Brian? At best, this scene has aged very badly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBOQzSk14c

Although weirdly, still more accepting of trans people than The IT Crowd.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/AlisonMoyet/status/1014571996552851461

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Popoi posted:

I think he was trying to joke, but based on his live show he has also developed some old white man opinions about political correctness in comedy, so probably a little of both.

I saw some video a few years ago of Cleese complaining about how you never see any English people any more if you travel through London.

"Brits upset because foreigners come into their lands uninvited" is not something I would expect from Cleese. It's something I would expect him to easily turn into 15 minutes of stand up as a response to. "Oh sorry. Is the British empire inconvenienced by uninvited visitors? Won't anyone hear the plight of Brits who don't want people coming into their lands without permission!"

Katt has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Jul 5, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/AlisonMoyet/status/1014606560407052288?s=19

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

A response to Pruitt resigning. I'm curious as to why Windsor Castle is the background.

https://twitter.com/1nfinityCurve/status/1014972760873938944

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I mean, sure, if you want to redefine noun, pronoun, and adjective entirely, cis is totally a pronoun.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

nashona posted:

A response to Pruitt resigning. I'm curious as to why Windsor Castle is the background.

https://twitter.com/1nfinityCurve/status/1014972760873938944

I imagine it's a response to the "giant orange baby" balloon that Mayor Sadiq Khan is allowing to fly over London during Trump's visit this month.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

can confirm Oslo is a crime infested hellscape, some guy I was buying weed off of took my money and ran.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

yeah and a proverb is a prefix that modifies a verb

- Me, a wide-eyed third grader

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
look you're either pronoun or antinoun. there's no middle-ground!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
gently caress nouns.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Hellsau posted:

gently caress nouns.

Don't forget to pay them afterward if they're pro nouns, though.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What are you gonna be? A noun-clown?

Besesoth posted:

Don't forget to pay them afterward if they're pro nouns, though.

Yea but I can get the noun so much exposure...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Ularg posted:

Yea but I can get the noun so much exposure...

You're paying the Noun because of the exposure.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm cisnoun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Kill all cis people imo