Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Coolguye posted:

yeah jade's a pro click for xcom for double sure.

jade star and guava moment both rock those LPs. check'em out for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So I've been using Trump (the Hearthstone player) and his playlists where he climbs the ranks as a way to have background noise or fall asleep. I'm curious if anyone can suggest others who do this, any sort of competitive game would be fine like mobas, card games, strategy games.

Them showing every step of the journey is a huge plus, rather than only showing their wins.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Verranicus posted:

So I've been using Trump (the Hearthstone player) and his playlists where he climbs the ranks as a way to have background noise or fall asleep. I'm curious if anyone can suggest others who do this, any sort of competitive game would be fine like mobas, card games, strategy games.

Them showing every step of the journey is a huge plus, rather than only showing their wins.

Quill18's everything, really. His Starcraft 2 stuff was great, but particularly (mostly cos its a bit out there) I'd like to recommend his Football Manager stuff. He's an outsider to Football (and it's not Yankee Handegg FYI), and picks an absolute nobody of a side - Ayr United. It's quite an enjoyable watch.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

John Murdoch posted:

For Civilization 5, I'm rather partial to Smight's hours of whupping on the AI. His strategy is shaped to an extent by the difficult AI he's playing against, but he does a good job of explaining his thought process.

The only caveat here is that a lot of the first series (where he explains the basics of Civ 5) is either muted or just unavailable thanks to music claims.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Was looking for some roguelike lps to watch and ran across this old rear end dude ripping a bong and playing tons of games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r0teKxg6bc

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
NearlySeniorCitizen owns so drat much. I wish he was my grandpa.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

CJacobs posted:

NearlySeniorCitizen owns so drat much. I wish he was my grandpa.

And I wish dear Shirley was my Grandma. Now I almost want these cool old folks to cross over in some way.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Any Witcher 2 LP's you people would recommend? I'm following the one by ProperBird ATM but she is more of a lore-nerd that just looks around and I sorta want a efficient/highskill ish playthrough.
Playing the game myself ATM and mostly curious to how I mess things up and/or missed obvious things. :D

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Can anyone recommend a halfway decent Flame in the Flood LP?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Zedd posted:

Any Witcher 2 LP's you people would recommend? I'm following the one by ProperBird ATM but she is more of a lore-nerd that just looks around and I sorta want a efficient/highskill ish playthrough.
Playing the game myself ATM and mostly curious to how I mess things up and/or missed obvious things. :D

There's a video LP by Viva Vizer. I watched it a couple of years ago but I remember it being good.

Here's the thread (need archives)

Or just the starting YouTube playlist

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

There's a video LP by Viva Vizer. I watched it a couple of years ago but I remember it being good.

Here's the thread (need archives)

Or just the starting YouTube playlist

Excellent, thanks.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Floor is lava posted:

Was looking for some roguelike lps to watch and ran across this old rear end dude ripping a bong and playing tons of games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r0teKxg6bc

This dude owns super hard, I hope I'm this awesome when I'm old

ETA: I just watched a Dishonored LP in the archive that was pretty good, anyone got any recommendations for a Dishonored 2 LP?

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 6, 2018

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

John Murdoch posted:

Jade Star's X-Com: Enemy Within and XCOM 2 LPs are a fantastic look at those games, though a lot of the nuances behind his decisions are explained in the accompanying text posts. Also the expack for 2 wasn't out yet, so it's just the base game + the DLC for that one.

That was going to be my recommendation as well.

That XCOM-2 LP was equal parts amazing and infuriating with some of the crap he manages to pull off.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

WampaLord posted:

This dude owns super hard, I hope I'm this awesome when I'm old

ETA: I just watched a Dishonored LP in the archive that was pretty good, anyone got any recommendations for a Dishonored 2 LP?

If the one you liked was Coolguy TheLastRoboky, then they also did Dishonoured 2, with some other people. Can't easily link cuz phonepost.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dancer posted:

If the one you liked was Coolguy TheLastRoboky, then they also did Dishonoured 2, with some other people. Can't easily link cuz phonepost.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846842

i need to update today, actually.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've been catching up on SGF, but he's done a whole heck of a lot of stuff, and I'm sure I'm not going to watch all of it. Doing a quick triage it looks like the Bully Demise multi-title saga is considered one of his better works, is it work checking out? It's 35 videos total, with the last 2 being nearly 7 hours combined.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yes. Watch Bully's tale.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Let's Catch! is also a breezy and weird take on an obscure Wii-only title. And his Xbox Live Indie series is pretty nice, too.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Any good let's plays of Dragon Quest Builders?

SouljaBoyVEVO
May 19, 2018

From the Ghastly Eyrie, I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point, I declare, with UTTER CERTAINTY, that THIS one is IN. THE BAG.
Tipping Forties is my jam, I like to watch them before bed, they're hilarious. Are there any other comedic lets plays of Jrpgs you guys could recommend?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone know of someone not super spastic that has done or are doing a survival Space Engineers "playthrough"? I really really want to get into that game, but it's such a insane hurdle to learn how to play and i know from experience that i learn best by watching someone i enjoy playing it.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Any recommendations for funny VLPs with commentary? I'd prefer a terrible but newish game with some commentary riffing on the badness. I'm looking for something good to watch in the background while I do some work.

I'm a big fan of dead to rights (a classic) but I also really like supergreatfriend's deadly premonition, the rest of the slowbeef/diabeetus ouvre, and tipping 40's FFX. The retsuflash stuff isn't bad either.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Jamesman posted:

Specifically Dark Souls 1. I'm eventually gonna play DS2 and 3 and I just wanted to refresh myself on story and the world, which is more explained through item descriptions and stuff than just running through the game blindly and dying a lot.

Maybe I'm just better off reading the wiki or something.

I really enjoyed EpicNameBro's DS1 playthrough. It's called From the Dark and is extremely thorough. Good lore discussion, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUqg8XtAHnc

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Any recommendations for funny VLPs with commentary? I'd prefer a terrible but newish game with some commentary riffing on the badness. I'm looking for something good to watch in the background while I do some work.

I'm a big fan of dead to rights (a classic) but I also really like supergreatfriend's deadly premonition, the rest of the slowbeef/diabeetus ouvre, and tipping 40's FFX. The retsuflash stuff isn't bad either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8tWT0jdX3I

david cage games are pretty bad

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

My go-to standby is The Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy by Artix and Fedule. Three games of notoriously dubious quality taken apart with deft frustration by two really funny guys and a rotating host of guest commentators.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian has been doing some amazingly horrible games lately: Neverdead and Knight's Contract could fit the bill.

Oh, and if you don't mind barely coherent rambling I feel fairly confident I could plug my own Legendary.

It's, uh, not against rules anymore, is it?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 14, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

SouljaBoyVEVO posted:

Tipping Forties is my jam, I like to watch them before bed, they're hilarious. Are there any other comedic lets plays of Jrpgs you guys could recommend?

Pork Lift and wateyad have quite a few of those. I'm quite partial to their LPs of Star Ocean 4, Final Fantasy XIII, and The Last Story.

Their Detroit LP was linked above, but pretty much everything by the Men Drinkin' Coffee is gold.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 14, 2018

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

anilEhilated posted:

It's, uh, not against rules anymore, is it?

:hai:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I really enjoyed EpicNameBro's DS1 playthrough. It's called From the Dark and is extremely thorough. Good lore discussion, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUqg8XtAHnc

Seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

In the same vein, I seem to recall some discussion about a girl who did videos of a blind playthrough, but was fairly competent because she observed and read details. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTUtYVcSww

Right here.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Piggybacking on this, if you want a JRPG that's pretty esoterically Japanese you may enjoy their Fragile Dreams LP . The commentary's funny but thoughtful and the plot's ridiculously melodramatic.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Scaramouche posted:

I've been catching up on SGF, but he's done a whole heck of a lot of stuff, and I'm sure I'm not going to watch all of it. Doing a quick triage it looks like the Bully Demise multi-title saga is considered one of his better works, is it work checking out? It's 35 videos total, with the last 2 being nearly 7 hours combined.

So the thing with SGF is that I originally felt like he peaked a bit too early, that nothing was going to match the pure out there weirdness of Deadly Premonition and Illbleed. And in a way, nothing has, even though he did excellent jobs on those LPs. But with this Bully Demise thing he demonstrated what he can do when the game itself isn't weird enough, which is make up his own thing which is weirder yet. It starts off a bit weak with MDickie games, because by now I think everyone has seen the stochastic chaos that can result from the various colliding systems in an MDickie game. That particular brand of wackiness reaches its height in the Wrecked playthrough, which is the strongest of the four (Wrestling Revolution, Hard Time, and The You Testament being the others).

But it's the WWE2K14 segment where SGF really shines. He takes this character, defined by mostly stream of consciousness narration from the decidedly plot light MDickie games, and weaves it into the internal mythology of his own LPs. It's really an amazing thing, even though I hadn't seen some of the LPs referenced in it (MODE, not VLR, probably others) there's lots of deep cuts back to the Illbleed, Deadly Premonition, Spy Fiction, and D/D2 days. He uses 2K14s custom scenario editor to show conversations, cut scenes, and actual wrestling matches that line up with an overarching narrative, immeasurably improved by custom texturing and soundtrack choices. It's not just a coherent narrative, it's an actually surprising one with various hits coming in at the last minute that you wouldn't even think of. It's just such an out there thing; I'm glad I watched them. (Note: did not watch the 7 hours of VN stuff)

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So, for better or worse, I've experienced Detroit. Can someone recommend me good (either funny, or containing good media commentary) for Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dancer posted:

So, for better or worse, I've experienced Detroit. Can someone recommend me good (either funny, or containing good media commentary) for Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls?

CirclMastr is currently doing an LP of Detroit: Become Human with a rotating crew of guest commentators, including his sister (who is the voice and face actor for Kara).

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Dongattack posted:

Does anyone know of someone not super spastic that has done or are doing a survival Space Engineers "playthrough"? I really really want to get into that game, but it's such a insane hurdle to learn how to play and i know from experience that i learn best by watching someone i enjoy playing it.

If anyone read this post and was like "huarghh i want that too fart fart" i accidentally found a really pleasant aussie doing one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s03MXBSoY3w

It's not a tutorial or anything even tho it says so in the title, but just a steady stream of incrementally advanced gameplay in a pleasant package.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
That video series looks fairly pleasant, but at the same time his game looks super modded so I don't know if it really reflects a normal gameplay experience.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

I just realized I skipped her Dark Souls 2 DLC playthroughs because I didn't want to spoil myself and never went back to them.

Hello, New Content.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Mega64 posted:

Pork Lift and wateyad have quite a few of those. I'm quite partial to their LPs of Star Ocean 4, Final Fantasy XIII, and The Last Story.

Their Detroit LP was linked above, but pretty much everything by the Men Drinkin' Coffee is gold.

I started watching through their Mega Man Zero 2 playthrough, which is one of their earliest ones, and it was terrible. Do they get better?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

I started watching through their Mega Man Zero 2 playthrough, which is one of their earliest ones, and it was terrible. Do they get better?
Yeah, honestly you should try to start at maybe their Adver-games series or the horror fit-bit series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

discworld is all I read posted:

Yeah, honestly you should try to start at maybe their Adver-games series or the horror fit-bit series.

If we're talking Men Drinkin' Coffee, Ride to Hell: Retribution is IMO their classic.