Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Takezio posted:

I've always wondered if the person who wrote that had a sibling, but I've been too scared/lazy to check. And speaking from personal experience, that being your first exposure to Wanda and Pietro makes you actively fight your brain with expectations for a bit until you get the hang of the difference between Ultimate and 616.

I always assumed they were playing off the fact that for a long time in 616, Pietro was overprotective of Wanda to the point where people made comments and jokes about them being lovers despite their blood relation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Hold up. It's really hot here, and I just walked home from a long day at work, still a little hungover from last night's festivities, so maybe I'm not seeing straight.

There was an incest romance in a major Marvel title? And other characters (other than Cap, I guess) who were cool with it? Can someone summarize this briefly, please?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Hold up. It's really hot here, and I just walked home from a long day at work, still a little hungover from last night's festivities, so maybe I'm not seeing straight.

There was an incest romance in a major Marvel title? And other characters (other than Cap, I guess) who were cool with it? Can someone summarize this briefly, please?

It was in an Ultimate title (so, while major, not the "real" versions). Cap was not actually cool with it, if I recall (though I want to say the other characters reacted to him as "out of touch" for it? It's been awhile since I read that awful series). There's not much more to it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Isn't ultimate nightcrawler a massive homophobe? For that matter, is there anyone in the ultimate universe who isn't an enormous jackass?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Keeshhound posted:

Isn't ultimate nightcrawler a massive homophobe? For that matter, is there anyone in the ultimate universe who isn't an enormous jackass?

Presumably Ultimate Hitler would have hit the overflow point on assholery and ended up as that universe's Mr. Rogers instead.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s on Ultimates 3, issue 1. They immediately kill Wanda on that same issue (and resolving the murder is the plot of the series) so they don’t really dwell much on the incest other than pointing it out before immediately getting rid of it.

Then Magneto kills everyone and Blob eats Janet.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Then Magneto kills everyone and Blob eats Janet.

Sounds like he really was right.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Keeshhound posted:

That was actually one of the things I remember most about Ultimate X-Men when Kirkman took over - Ultimate Nightcrawler hadn't been a homophobe or even religious beforehand, then Colossus starts a relationship with Northstar and all of a sudden Nightcrawler's brooding about how "Peter has become an abomination! :freep:" but even so, I don't think they actually got any drama out of it or anything, it's just a few of scenes of Nightcrawler grousing about it to a comatose character.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

For that matter, is there anyone in the ultimate universe who isn't an enormous jackass?

If they were, they were probably in a Spider-book

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

That was actually one of the things I remember most about Ultimate X-Men when Kirkman took over - Ultimate Nightcrawler hadn't been a homophobe or even religious beforehand, then Colossus starts a relationship with Northstar and all of a sudden Nightcrawler's brooding about how "Peter has become an abomination! :freep:" but even so, I don't think they actually got any drama out of it or anything, it's just a few of scenes of Nightcrawler grousing about it to a comatose character.

He also kidnaps Ultimate Dazzler (who's a punk rocker), hides her in a cave and pretends the X-Men are under attack in an attempt to get her to love him.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So why is Ultimate Spiderman the only sane Ultimates title?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Keeshhound posted:

Most of the characters in Spider-Man, Thor, members of The Fantastic Four not named Reed Richards

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Infinitum posted:

It's Bendis writing a Spider-Man storyline because he wants to. The rest of the Ultimate line was "take the existing characters, but make them badass and extreme".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Mark Millar's stuff was hit or miss, but had some pretty good hits. Anything by Bendis is decently readable, same with Warren Ellis. Hickman's stuff that was supposed to be a sorta re-boot of the title until they took him off because he was too good of a writer for a book that no one reads was really, really good.

Actually, the Ultimate FF book was pretty consistently good except there's some Greg Land art, (which is also the part that features Mark Millar's strongest writing sadly). X-Men was good until Kirkman. As I already said Warren Ellis wrote a bunch of minis and those were all good.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

That was actually one of the things I remember most about Ultimate X-Men when Kirkman took over - Ultimate Nightcrawler hadn't been a homophobe or even religious beforehand...
[snip]
I thought Nightcrawler had always been a devout Catholic. I don't know to what extent he has weighed in on social issues in the past, but I do know I've seen on more than one occasion he has prayed or professed his faith in God. Looks like it could just be them amping everything up to 11 in the Ultimate series. Though it wouldn't be entirely out of character for him to be homophobic (though, not likely with the company he keeps and with the very literal "different != bad" world view that has been forced on him from birth).

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ultimates 1 and 2 are actually really good (YMMV based on taste, I guess). They're grittier but they're not "badass x-treme!", the characters are for the most part meant to be flawed people who are irresponsibly playing at being heroes due to their personal neuroses. Most of the realistic touches are less, "gore! blood! sex!" and more, "Iron Man needs an entire pre-flight team to launch his armour and he takes a stiff drink first because he knows how unsafe it is".

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Wasn't Nightcrawler's epiteth "the man with the face of a demon and the soul of a priest" or something similar? He always seemed like an easy way for writers wanted to write about mutants (and whoever they were standing in for at the time) being persecuted by hardcore fundamentalists to still say "but not all religious people are like that."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

unruly posted:

I thought Nightcrawler had always been a devout Catholic.

Yeah, absolutely; I was talking about Ultimate Nightcrawler, sorry.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, absolutely; I was talking about Ultimate Nightcrawler, sorry.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Like I said, it wouldn't be completely out of character for him to express that thought, given his religious beliefs, but it would be inconsistent with every other representation of him.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

unruly posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured. Like I said, it wouldn't be completely out of character for him to express that thought, given his religious beliefs, but it would be inconsistent with every other representation of him.

We'll, it would be out of character for him to express that opinion now, unless he's meant to be North American Orthodox.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Question for someone who reads comics, but doesn't really follow the comic 'scene'.

Why do you guys rag on Bendis so much? Like is he a hit or miss writer? Up himself?
You seem to like him sometimes, but poo poo on him at other times.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Every so often my dad asks me about comics, and I just answer that I gave up on them since the 90s. It seems like that has been the right choice.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Infinitum posted:

Question for someone who reads comics, but doesn't really follow the comic 'scene'.

Why do you guys rag on Bendis so much? Like is he a hit or miss writer? Up himself?

He's very, very good at a certain kind of comic, but people keep paying him to write comics that are not that.

Ultimate Spider-Man is straight up one of the best comics I've read but he keeps getting put on big name comics like X-Men and Superman because he's super famous. He's just not a good fit for some settings/characters.

That's my opinion though, I don't hate him as much as some people here do.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Infinitum posted:

Bendis was big in bringing "decompression" to comics, and also Mametesque dialogue. He's had a huge impact on the scene, and can even become self-parody at times. He's written a lot of books. Some very good, some not so much, so it's easy to find something to goof on.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bendis is a talented and prolific writer who is inconsistent enough that he's written some dubious books. In general people seem to think that his newer work is more uneven.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Bendis on solo title = good
Bendis on team title = not good

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thank you Funny Panels thread

Have a Funny Panels as thank you

All-New Wolverine #22

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Slightly-late return to ThingChat:

I have no idea how I'd submit this, but I've had a What If? kind of mini-script knocking around in my head for a while. It's probably not worth printing anyways, but I like it and maybe one day if I have too much money I'll commission someone to do it just for myself.

What if Ben Grimm hadn't been on Reed's spaceship that day? What if Reed decided to fly it himself?

I imagine that Ben spent some time helping his friends adjust to their new lives, but eventually our ever-lovin' blue-eyed Ben Grimm finished up his career as a test pilot and moved back to Yancy Street, opening up a little Jewish bakery and deli on the corner. He's the kind of guy who appreciates the kind of foundation that a good solid meal puts on your day. It's a nice place, an informal community center of sorts, and he keeps a couple tables in the corner for the old Yancy Street Gang.

Once in a while the paper has a story about his friends, the Terrific Three, or maybe he looks up while he's locking up for the night and sees Johnny flying overhead, doing that weird looping 3 thing he does in the sky. He wonders what life might have been like if he'd followed through and flown that crazy thing Reed built.

He doesn't think too hard about it, though. He's got a good life for himself. He's got a weird meta-position in the superpowered community, and his shop is a widely-agreed neutral ground. Doc Samson stops by regularly for a bagel, lox, and coffee. Kitty Pryde drops by for a big loaf of challah whenever she's in town. Magneto swears that nobody makes a better hamantasch. Spider-Man swings by for a Reuben partly because he knows Ben doesn't mind if he's a couple bucks short now and then (besides, he's good for it eventually). Namor buys boxes and boxes of bagels.

Ben likes to take pictures with the super set when he's able to spare a few minutes, and the photos line the walls. More than one "misunderstanding" has been cleared up over a couple cups of coffee and a plate of rugelach.

But his favorite part doesn't have to do with any of that. His favorite part is right near the end of the fall, when the air is crisp and clear, the days turn short, and the leaves turn bright orange (something about that color always resonates with him, he doesn't know why). That's when he knows the apples are just right. He buys them in giant bags from a farm upstate, and he'll spend all morning cutting them up by hand, because each piece has to be just the right size and shape. He does it personally, because his assistants are good but this job is really important, at least to him.

Ben's favorite part of the job comes in the afternoon, when he gets to open up the oven one more time before the end of the day, when the blast of warm air fills the whole shop with the smell of cooked-soft apples and toasted crust and his personal secret blend of cinnamon and spice, so good you can smell it out on the sidewalk. Ben puts on his big mitts and reaches into the oven, his arms straining under the weight of the heavily laden tray. Everyone in the shop knows what's coming, and they'll get up from their seats, shuffling over to the counter in anticipation, waiting for him to set it down, to pull a deep breath of air into his lungs and announce:

"IT'S COBBLERING TIME!"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
gently caress

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
oof, that's a long way to go for such a short trip

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Infinitum posted:

Thank you Funny Panels thread

Have a Funny Panels as thank you

All-New Wolverine #22

Any panel with Smolverine belongs in this thread.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I like her.

Any recommendations to read more storylines of hers?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zil posted:

Any recommendations to read more storylines of hers?

All New Wolverine has a loooooot of Gabby.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That series is real good in general, yes? Who wrote it?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That series is real good in general, yes? Who wrote it?

Tom Taylor

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She's in that one arc of Hawkeye, but you should read all of Kelly Thompson Hawkeye, anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Her name is Honey Badger and I still don't know what we did to deserve her because she's like a perfect storm of amazing character.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I hope OML hangs around even when Regular Man Logan returns and dunks on him about how dumb claws, but hot, are.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Also in that Logan clone group pic, is that an acutal wolverine in the background on the table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zil posted:

Also in that Logan clone group pic, is that an acutal wolverine in the background on the table?

Yes, that's Jonathan.