Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, that Fallout started out as this series where dark humour (of which the 50s forced-chirpy attitude was one aspect of many) was contrasted against surprisingly deep faction politics and character building, and is now a series where the best that can be expected is to play up the silliness of "characters like pip boy" and leave all the storytelling to robots and audio logs.

Nice av/post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Psychotic Weasel posted:

A lot of people reacted to Oblivion in the same way they may react to someone stabbing a knife into their face and I never really knew why. I guess they were just angry at Bethesda messing with the franchise's lore in much the same way Fallout fans don't like them mangling that franchise's lore. Understandable but they also have to realize that a lot of the lore is just people making poo poo up on the fly and running with it. Even the guy who created the lore couldn't settle on what the actual story was.

I think it's a mix of nerd culture and nostalgia.

I played Morrowind (on the old X-box, I know, I suck) an it was ok, fun even. Ball-bustingly tough, I had to use some cheat codes to give myself refilling health but could still get one-shotted by enemies (loving dremora...) I didn't understand where I couldn't go or get the idea that places were too high level for me. Lots of frustrating things (like the directions NPCs would give you were really vague sometimes, it was hard to know where to go).

But I still remember the moment I realized that every door in the game could be opened/lockpicked. Compared to Half Life (which I loved) which was basically hallways with "real fake doors" pasted every so often that you couldn't open. Man I spent so much time figuring out how to steal the treasure in those vaults...

So I got Oblivion when it came out, really loved it too. They made a bunch of improvements, quest marker in the map, fast travel instead of walking, walking, walking... Some dumb things like seeing bandits in high level glass armor try to rob you when you got high enough level.

Thing is- I went on the forums and there was so much hate. Like you said- people acted like the game killed a family member of theirs. It was a betrayal of everything Morrowind stood for or something. Whatever.

Really weird thing it after Skyrim came out. Same story, some improvements, some flaws. It looked and played much better but was kind of lacking the crazy quests of Oblivion (remember going into the painting?)

The weird thing was that now on the forums everybody remembered Oblivion like it was the Best Game Ever, and they hated Skyrim and thought it was killing the franchise.

I think it was nostalgia changing how people remembered "that awesome game from their youth" combined with the Simpson's comic book guy "worst _____ ever" attitude you see so often in fanboys.

Same thing is happening with Fallout. Had a guy flat out tell me not to buy it, it "wasn't a real Fallout game", ironic because fans of the original would probably say that of all of Beth's games...

I told him I'm gonna play it anyway, don't care, looks fun.

Todd Howard and Ken Levine are basically the two game developers I'll always give a chance because I've always enjoyed the games they make.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

Fallout 76 is going to be the greatest of all fallout games by taking what worked with fallout 4 and hyperfocusing on that, while jettisoning every weak point.

Nick Valentine and the Silver Shroud are going to be in this?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

TBF, I'm an oldschool Fallout fan who does think Bethesda basically ruined all the parts of the series that made me love it anyways. But whatever, New Vegas was the perfect conclusion to old Fallout, and the Beth games are fun enough in their own right to justify me, uh, playing them long after they come out when I get them on discount. Complaining about them is like complaining about New Simpsons - you're probably not wrong but just change the channel if it bothers you.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grogs gonna grog...

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

So I got Oblivion when it came out, really loved it too. They made a bunch of improvements, quest marker in the map, fast travel instead of walking, walking, walking... Some dumb things like seeing bandits in high level glass armor try to rob you when you got high enough level.

Thing is- I went on the forums and there was so much hate. Like you said- people acted like the game killed a family member of theirs. It was a betrayal of everything Morrowind stood for or something. Whatever.

I can tell you why one of the reason I really disliked (among many) Oblivion, and it was one of the things that soured Bethesda as company for me; the spent an obscene amount of time and effort to advertise Radiant AI, how it was going to be a game changer in the industry, they hyped and hyped this one feature to hell and back up to release day. When the game finally came out, people noticed right away it didn't have RAI, which rightfully confused everyone, and Bethesda response was anything but pleasant which basically boiled down to, "We decided removed RAI early in development, not like we made a big deal about it. Stop talking about it."

I don't like being lied to and I'm certain many people at the time didn't either.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Internet Wizard posted:

They'd probably do better if they ever released a game that was close to finished and didn't have a couple of characters that just exposition preach at you.

Nah they're probably doing just fine man

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Back Hack posted:

I can tell you why one of the reason I really disliked (among many) Oblivion, and it was one of the things that soured Bethesda as company for me; the spent an obscene amount of time and effort to advertise Radiant AI, how it was going to be a game changer in the industry, they hyped and hyped this one feature to hell and back up to release day. When the game finally came out, people noticed right away it didn't have RAI, which rightfully confused everyone, and Bethesda response was anything but pleasant which basically boiled down to, "We decided removed RAI early in development, not like we made a big deal about it. Stop talking about it."

I don't like being lied to and I'm certain many people at the time didn't either.

Radiant AI was in the game, though. Not to the extent seen in the early teasers, but it was there. I’m fairly sure their experience with that is why they now don’t reveal any information about the games until a few months before release.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Back Hack posted:

There were lots of problems with Oblivions marketing, Radiant AI being one of the biggest ones. They also advertised the full suite of skills from Morrowind early on, then slowly whittled it down.

On top of that, the lore books from the beginning (Daggerfall at least, I can't really remember arena because I was 8) described Cyrodil as a kind of jungly Venice - water and ivy, large trees, canals that ran through the cities. Instead we got a very generic LOTR knock off with an Ivory Tower. They changed more than the lore, they changed many of the aspects the games had built across the series to fit in with peoples expectations of a "fantasy" setting now that fantasy was big and Tolkien was on everybody's mind. Of course die hard fans got angry because it Oblivion didn't really fit with what they'd described in other games, and that was NEVER discussed prior to its release. On top of that, Oblivion was legitimately a bad game with boring quests (other than the Dark Brotherhood, saving grace of Oblivion), terrible level scaling that the game too easy from beginning to end and made previously difficult to get armors (daedric and glass) easy to acquire and regularly found on your enemies. It had less cool artifacts than previous games (although the Wabbajack was pretty neat). The first DLCs were the first lovely overpriced cosmetic DLC we'd seen in a AAA game (horse armor my dudes) and the first actual content DLC (Knights of the NIne) was somehow a worse quest than anything found in the original game. They didn't manage to redeem any part of Oblivion until the final DLC which just doubled down on the weird idiosyncracies of the deadric lord of madness, already the best NPC in their game. It might be hard to rememeber now because it was so long ago, but fans didn't just Grog on Oblivion - that game was the perfect storm of buggy and non-function mechanics compounded with lovely quests and overhyped promises. If Shimmering Isles had never come out everyone would remember that game as unplayable trash, but he final DLC did a lot to redeem it as a game.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the nuttiest thing is the slow transformation of Oblivion players, who honestly probably never talked about it when it was current, slowly aging up and talking about the elder scrolls as if Oblivion was the Real Deal and Skyrim was this terrible sellout. which is weird to me, because as far as i can tell Skyrim is a much better rpg than Oblivion (i guess some people can whine about the lack of 'classes', but classes in tes never really stopped you from doing anything anyway). it's the most obvious rose-tinted glasses conceivable.

a lot of the people who played Oblivion probably did not play Morrowind, especially not when it was new, so it's difficult to really point at them and be like 'no you got it all wrong', it's just interesting to see people who probably aren't even in their mid-20s yet turn into old coots about their garbage favorite rpg.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Really weird thing it after Skyrim came out. Same story, some improvements, some flaws. It looked and played much better but was kind of lacking the crazy quests of Oblivion (remember going into the painting?)

The weird thing was that now on the forums everybody remembered Oblivion like it was the Best Game Ever, and they hated Skyrim and thought it was killing the franchise.

Are you sure it was the same people each time?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The grog is eternal.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Mantis42 posted:

The USS Constitution will be DLC

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

frajaq posted:

did anyone understand what this game is about yet

Fallout 4 but all the NPCs are human players.

Like, that is a cool concept but I have no loving clue how they are going to make that fun and engaging. I think Bethesda is over estimate the number of people that want to role play a caravaneer.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I think Bethesda is over estimate the number of people that want to role play a caravaneer.

My guess is that all the rare material spawns are going to eventually need to be PvPed for, much like in Fallen Earth before it got taken over by the most extreme pay to play scheme I've ever seen.

"Hail fine traveller would you like to take a look at my wares? I have recently procured some Nuclear Material as well."

"No thanks dude I have some on my pvp mule, l8r."

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Stokes posted:

My guess is that all the rare material spawns are going to eventually need to be PvPed for, much like in Fallen Earth before it got taken over by the most extreme pay to play scheme I've ever seen.

"Hail fine traveller would you like to take a look at my wares? I have recently procured some Nuclear Material as well."

"No thanks dude I have some on my pvp mule, l8r."

"also im going 2 kill u now lol"

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

"dont be mad brah im jus rping a raider lol"

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

"Fool! I'm level 4! I'm untouchable"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I can imagine myself making a cool robot titty bar or something that sells guns out of vending machines just for fun, but gently caress no I'm not running caravans.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I bet the Overseer/robot/tape tutorial quests take you over level 5.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I bet Fallout 76 has the same development cycle that Destiny 1 and 2 had.

Initial release will be fun, unique and have lots of promise but people will hit the content cap very quickly. Having done all there is to do, player count will dwindle. Slowly they will begin to add more content and finally after 2 years, a major content expansion will drop and the game will be fun and replayable, finally having the content it should have had at release.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
Let go, and hate again

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mantis42 posted:

Can't wait for an army of cosplaying superheroes to arise and bring peace, freedom, justice, and security to the New West Virginian Empire

I hope they incorporate Grognak and his merry band of misfits into the legends of WV

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I played Morrowind (on the old X-box, I know, I suck) an it was ok, fun even. Ball-bustingly tough, I had to use some cheat codes to give myself refilling health but could still get one-shotted by enemies (loving dremora...) I didn't understand where I couldn't go or get the idea that places were too high level for me. Lots of frustrating things (like the directions NPCs would give you were really vague sometimes, it was hard to know where to go).

But I still remember the moment I realized that every door in the game could be opened/lockpicked. Compared to Half Life (which I loved) which was basically hallways with "real fake doors" pasted every so often that you couldn't open. Man I spent so much time figuring out how to steal the treasure in those vaults...

I think it was nostalgia changing how people remembered "that awesome game from their youth" combined with the Simpson's comic book guy "worst _____ ever" attitude you see so often in fanboys.

Same thing is happening with Fallout. Had a guy flat out tell me not to buy it, it "wasn't a real Fallout game", ironic because fans of the original would probably say that of all of Beth's games...

Todd Howard and Ken Levine are basically the two game developers I'll always give a chance because I've always enjoyed the games they make.

I think the key differentiator this time is forcing multiplayer. Like it or not, people experience games differently and there is a nonzero percentage of players who only play multiplayer to ruin it for everyone else. My biggest problem with this move is that it removes the solitude that I enjoy in Bethesda RPG's. The world is your oyster, not everyone's toilet.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I’m just looking forward to what crazy mods I can put on that muzzleloader

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm looking forward to joining a sexual RP only server, finally experiencing fallout the way it was meant to be

Fallout 69

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

When I played Morrowind on a loan for the first time, I was absolutely astounded by the freedom it gave you. I had never played a game where not only could you enter every building, but you could just steal stuff and kill people whenever you wanted (albeit with consequences).

I still enjoyed Oblivion because, again, there's not many games like the ones Bethesda makes with such freedom in the open world. I enjoyed Skyrim as well and Fallout 3 when it first came out. I'm currently trying to play Fallout 4 again, but I've found that I really need mods to make the game engrossing and the dialogue (and voice acting from the player character) is so awful that I don't really have much incentive to keep going with the story. Not a really good sign when I can't enjoy the game without modding it to hell and back.

I like New Vegas a lot more, and I think games like New Vegas and The Witcher 3 are signs of what happens when you're able to take the Bethesda open world formula out of Bethesda's hands.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

I picked up the Gainer after I found a vendor that sells lots of .44 ammo. I got bored and started installing a lot of visual enhancement mods. Currently hanging out around Vault 81. Any cool out of the way easily missed stuff I should go and check out?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Fallout 4 but all the NPCs are human players.

Like, that is a cool concept but I have no loving clue how they are going to make that fun and engaging. I think Bethesda is over estimate the number of people that want to role play a caravaneer.

Dude. It's just gonna be fuckin' Fallout themed Minecraft. They are jumping on the survival genre bandwagon something fierce, and I'm glad for it. All of the other games in the genre have lackluster, not even mediocre, art direction.

Ark is for people obsessed with dinosaurs and nobody else gives a gently caress.

Conan is for edgelords and nobody else gives a gently caress.

Rust is rust and nobody seems to give a gently caress.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 5, 2018

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

At least they realize that people ruin pvp in games like that

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Dude. It's just gonna be fuckin' Fallout themed Minecraft. They are jumping on the survival genre bandwagon something fierce, and I'm glad for it. All of the other games in the genre have lackluster, not even mediocre, art direction.

Ark is for people obsessed with dinosaurs and nobody else gives a gently caress.

Conan is for edgelords and nobody else gives a gently caress.

Rust is rust and nobody seems to give a gently caress.

We can hope they ripped from the only two good "survival builders" minecraft and 7 days to die.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also FO4 has a lot of survival builder aspects? The game even explicitly gives XP for building settlements and crafting.

Yesterday, I manufactured a load of Jet (Brahmins produce fertilizer), traded it for ammo in Goodneighbor, and built a junk wall and a scaffolding tower with a turret on it to help defend Nordhaven Beach... My next session, I'm heading back up to Bar Harbor Far Harbor.

hawowanlawow posted:

At least they realize that people ruin pvp in games like that

Yep, there are always going to be tryhards ruining video games, though.

I suspect, as they see how people actually play the game, probably with a bunch of serverside logging and analytics built in, that will guide the post-release development of tools like private servers, banlists, or whatever.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 5, 2018

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

I would be perfectly content with that! I'm really anxious for the beta to start.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://webmshare.com/play/RN5LE

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Zelder posted:

I'm looking forward to joining a sexual RP only server, finally experiencing fallout the way it was meant to be

Fallout 69

Pff, more like Vault 68

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

We can hope they ripped from the only two good "survival builders" minecraft and 7 days to die.

lol 7 days to die is good?

Edit: I drowned in a house in that game

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

if it's State of Decay 2 with supermutants, I'm cool with it.

of all the survival games out there, it's probably the closest comparison but with more, shittier basebuilding options.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Agoat posted:

lol 7 days to die is good?

Edit: I drowned in a house in that game

Yeah it is an enjoyable game and I have drowned in the flooded basement too.

Edit: there is a hig update coming in july so if you are willing to tey it again give it a whirl after this.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 6, 2018

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Is Fallout 76 the first Bethesda game that might sell kinda bad?

I don't get the full gamer spectrum these days but maybe a lot of them will buy it blind and will be surprised/disappointed that the game is multiplayer? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

frajaq posted:

Is Fallout 76 the first Bethesda game that might sell kinda bad?

I don't get the full gamer spectrum these days but maybe a lot of them will buy it blind and will be surprised/disappointed that the game is multiplayer? :thunk:

I think it's going to depend on how the coverage/beta really is.