Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Plan Z posted:

The supermarket thing mostly comes down to either they can't find more people or the bosses don't understand synergy. They think less people handling the work saves them money but it doesn't in the big picture. As a bar owner friend of mine said recently: "1 bartender makes me $1k on a busy night. Two make me $1.5k. Three make me $3k. And since people got all their drinks, they're gonna come back instead of worrying if they're gonna get more than one beer on their next visit."

The supermarket I'm currently working in part time is comically understaffed because the store director is an idiot hellbent on running it into the ground. I'm working outside in the garden center and I'm the only one out there most evenings, but it never stops them from attempting to call me inside to run registers because they're backed the gently caress up.

The store director is really good at letting my manager know that the sunflowers have blown over once again though. I loving hate those flowers, they absorb water like no one's business, and as soon as I turn around, three pots have fallen off the rack once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

This is the first 4th of July that fireworks have been legal in my state, so everyone is already going hog loving wild setting them off nonstop and shooting Roman candles from moving cars and poo poo. The actual 4th is going to burn down half the town.

With the heat wave and recent fireworks law changes I expect half of Buffalo NY to burn to the ground Wednesday.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

The supermarket I'm currently working in part time is comically understaffed because the store director is an idiot hellbent on running it into the ground. I'm working outside in the garden center and I'm the only one out there most evenings, but it never stops them from attempting to call me inside to run registers because they're backed the gently caress up.

The store director is really good at letting my manager know that the sunflowers have blown over once again though. I loving hate those flowers, they absorb water like no one's business, and as soon as I turn around, three pots have fallen off the rack once again.

I think that's just how stores are run now. Wal-Mart was like that and I quit...good lord 8 years ago? 7? Somewhere around there.

Management rides everybody's asses because the registers are always backed up and everything is dirty and in disarray. Can't possibly because upper management literally cut the staff in half. Nah, these people are just mega lazy. We'll motivate them by slashing their hours, reducing the bonuses, dicking them out of raises, removing incentive programs, and quadrupling the costs of benefits. That'll get them to work harder.

Oh let's stretch and clap during meetings so they smile more.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
What is it about grocery stores and offices that makes people totally lose spatial awareness? It's not that hard to step out of the way to have a conversation with someone, do you really have to block the entire Luna bar display or the only scanner in the office to do it?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ghost emoji posted:

What is it about grocery stores and offices that makes people totally lose spatial awareness? It's not that hard to step out of the way to have a conversation with someone, do you really have to block the entire Luna bar display or the only scanner in the office to do it?

The worst is when one person is leaving the grocery store, and they see someone they know entering, and have to talk to each other while everyone around them is trying to enter/exit.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ghost emoji posted:

My husband does this everywhere and it's infuriating. Inside the house he will notice when a picture on the wall is askew by .05°, outside he's completely oblivious to everything going on around him.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In North America at least, our driving on the right naturally filters into other areas- for example, in high school and college, people walking in crowded hallways will tend to keep right, allowing a decent flow of people in a cramped space.

But Walmarts will do the opposite. The “enter” doors are to the left of someone in front of the store, and likewise “exit” doors are to the left of someone walking out from checkout.

Ultimately you end up with a stream of people entering through a set of doors marked Exit and leaving through doors marked Enter. So it doesn’t make a huge difference. But... why? Why not go with the style that your countries of business are accustomed to? It’s not like Walmart is foreign to North America, in fact it’s like, quintessentially north american.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In North America at least, our driving on the right naturally filters into other areas- for example, in high school and college, people walking in crowded hallways will tend to keep right, allowing a decent flow of people in a cramped space.

But Walmarts will do the opposite. The “enter” doors are to the left of someone in front of the store, and likewise “exit” doors are to the left of someone walking out from checkout.

Ultimately you end up with a stream of people entering through a set of doors marked Exit and leaving through doors marked Enter. So it doesn’t make a huge difference. But... why? Why not go with the style that your countries of business are accustomed to? It’s not like Walmart is foreign to North America, in fact it’s like, quintessentially north american.

I feel like the only reason this exists for Walmart is because it's convenient for them to have the cart pushers just push the carts in through the side of the building.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Gynocentric Regime posted:

My husband does this everywhere and it's infuriating. Inside the house he will notice when a picture on the wall is askew by .05°, outside he's completely oblivious to everything going on around him.

My dad says his situational awareness is so good, he could be a bodyguard.

On multiple occasions I've been able to get into his car without him noticing from the driver's seat.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Whiz Palace posted:

On multiple occasions I've been able to get into his car without him noticing from the driver's seat.

I bet he's really good at doing ocular patdowns though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Whiz Palace posted:

Maybe you're just a ninja.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My work hours are from 7:30 am until 4:30 pm, with one hour unpaid lunch, please do not talk to me about work outside of these hours.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Iron Crowned posted:

My work hours are from 7:30 am until 4:30 pm, with one hour unpaid lunch, please do not talk to me about work outside of these hours.

This is a completely valid opinion. But I encountered a guy like this who DIDNT TELL ME he felt that way and proceeded to send a mass email to our manager, area manager, regional manager, and corporate that how dare TP text me about work and I NEVER want her TEXTING ME AGAIN!!! And everyone thought I had been berating him but when I showed them the texts they were “hey did you loan a [product] to another store” and “i wrote one note on your punch list.” Then the guy proceeded to be passive aggressive like leaving me with no product for my opening shift on numerous occasions and in the punch list write “?” In the same of “Manager to complete this punch list” when he knew full well it was me. He just could have shot me a text back, “I don’t talk about work stuff outside of work don’t text me again” but he had to go the psychopath route.

The reason this even happened is cause all our stores management teams switch around a bunch and don’t always see each other so we all text a ton outside of work to keep in touch about important stuff so I literally was doing what my company does but I guess he never got the memo (or nobody gave me the memo that he’s crazy).

Passive aggressivity is so loving stupid.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 14:16 on Jul 5, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

There seems to be one of those babies at every place I've ever worked. They are too scared of direct conflict so at the slightest issue they run to the boss, who 99% of the time is going to be more annoyed with them for making petty bullshit their problem than they are with you.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

One of the Walmart here is built like this, one of them is built "normally"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

There seems to be one of those babies at every place I've ever worked. They are too scared of direct conflict so at the slightest issue they run to the boss, who 99% of the time is going to be more annoyed with them for making petty bullshit their problem than they are with you.

There is no greater joy in life than having the office passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat take you to task for a mistake while copying literally everyone in authority at the company only to have it turn out that he's the one who actually made the mistake.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thin Privilege posted:

This is a completely valid opinion. But I encountered a guy like this who DIDNT TELL ME he felt that way and proceeded to send a mass email to our manager, area manager, regional manager, and corporate that how dare TP text me about work and I NEVER want her TEXTING ME AGAIN!!! And everyone thought I had been berating him but when I showed them the texts they were “hey did you loan a [product] to another store” and “i wrote one note on your punch list.” Then the guy proceeded to be passive aggressive like leaving me with no product for my opening shift on numerous occasions and in the punch list write “?” In the same of “Manager to complete this punch list” when he knew full well it was me. He just could have shot me a text back, “I don’t talk about work stuff outside of work don’t text me again” but he had to go the psychopath route.

The reason this even happened is cause all our stores management teams switch around a bunch and don’t always see each other so we all text a ton outside of work to keep in touch about important stuff so I literally was doing what my company does but I guess he never got the memo (or nobody gave me the memo that he’s crazy).

Passive aggressivity is so loving stupid.

I'm talking about the office where I'm getting people talking about work when I'm not being paid and trying to make coffee or eat my breakfast before the clock starts, or half way through lunch. It's like dude, I'm not being paid for this time, I don't want to even spend an extra electron thinking about work, why are you?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm talking about the office where I'm getting people talking about work when I'm not being paid and trying to make coffee or eat my breakfast before the clock starts, or half way through lunch. It's like dude, I'm not being paid for this time, I don't want to even spend an extra electron thinking about work, why are you?

Hanging out with other academics is the worst for this kind of poo poo. Like no, we are on our like 8th drink at a very loud bar, I do not want to hear about your latest paper or give you an update on my simulations at this time in particular. Some people just get so into it that it's the only thing they know how to talk about.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
engineers who are experts at a kind of engineering and thus also take themselves as experts on sociology, economics, film critique, and healthcare.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hanging out with other academics is the worst for this kind of poo poo. Like no, we are on our like 8th drink at a very loud bar, I do not want to hear about your latest paper or give you an update on my simulations at this time in particular. Some people just get so into it that it's the only thing they know how to talk about.

My sole exception to work chat is bitching about work at the bar, that's part of what you're supposed to do there. Then again I also haven't worked anywhere across the street from a bar since 2009.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

My sole exception to work chat is bitching about work at the bar, that's part of what you're supposed to do there. Then again I also haven't worked anywhere across the street from a bar since 2009.

Oh, bitching is fine. I do that all the time. But the events in question and similar ones that happen all the time were high-level questions/explanations. Even if I were capable of adequately describing what method my code uses to solve the equations of radiation hydrodynamics while drunk as hell, I wouldn't want to. It's a pain to do it even when sober.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Haha yeah I showed her a screenshot of the texts and she was like, “wow what a little bitch, I thought you chewed him out” and the area manager was like, “yeah this dude is... kind of a character.” So I didn’t get in trouble (obviously no reason for me to have gotten in trouble but still).

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah my staff takes breaks and I would not bother them about work even though they’re 10 feet away, unless they willingly clock back in themselves (like if we’re busy). I have like... empathy.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

engineers who are experts at a kind of engineering and thus also take themselves as experts on sociology, economics, film critique, and healthcare.

"But he's a GENIUS!"

Yeah, this one pisses me off too. Not just engineers, but anyone who is brilliant in one field and people thinking it translates over to everything.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I get the opposite: "Hey! IC, you're smart, is this safe to eat?"

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

loving websites and storefronts where you can't right click or middle-mouse-button click to open new tabs. (And especially if it's inconsistent, and you can do it some places and not others. )

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Videos that put a giant opaque pause button in the center of the screen whenever you nudge the mouse. Nobody wants that poo poo. I know where the pause button is. I don't need it to be in the middle of the screen so it pops up and blocks what i'm watching and i'm sure you can imagine what type of video i'm talking about where nudging the mouse could happen accidentally.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SubNat posted:

loving websites and storefronts where you can't right click or middle-mouse-button click to open new tabs. (And especially if it's inconsistent, and you can do it some places and not others. )

SA defaults to opening links in tabs now so I always get frustrated when I click a link on another site and it uses the current tab.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Iron Crowned posted:

My work hours are 9:30 to 6, with paid lunch, and I agree with you. As much as I love my job, I love my time off too. My coworkers, on the other hand, will come to a Friday happy hour talking about changes that they intend to make to a pull request or some poo poo. It's ridiculous.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Iron Crowned posted:

My dad (an organic chemistry PhD) got a sign printed for his wall when he was a technical manager that read something like "Yes, I am a chemist. That doesn't mean I know everything from molecular biology to quantum physics".

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

When you order a pizza and it's pre-cut, but they only cut it 80% of the way through so when you try to pick up a slice all of the toppings pull away and you're left with a piece of bare crust. If I worked at a pizza place I'd stop giving all fucks about pizza and half-rear end my job too, but if you want to be lazy about cutting it just don't cut it. I'll have to re-cut a pizza that's 80% cut anyway, so skip the deception and save work for both of us.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a pizza-by-the-slice place where the slices are so large with so much cheese and sauce that it's impossible to pick it up without everything sliding off onto the plate. Make your drat pizzas smaller and easier to eat.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

All of the grocery stores around me have lighting that is way too god drat bright. I understand the visual appeal of a clean and well lit store, but I shouldn't have to put on sunglasses to be able to read the labels.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

SA defaults to opening links in tabs now so I always get frustrated when I click a link on another site and it uses the current tab.

IMO it should be a standard across the entire web that links to the same site open in the same tab and links to a different site open in a new tab.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Mother fuckers who are lighting off fireworks after 9pm on nights that are not fridays or Saturdays, and not the 4th itself. Assholes in my neighborhood were lighting them off until 11PM last night. Some of us still have work today dammit!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Master Twig posted:

Mother fuckers who are lighting off fireworks after 9pm on nights that are not fridays or Saturdays, and not the 4th itself. Assholes in my neighborhood were lighting them off until 11PM last night. Some of us still have work today dammit!

You are like a tiny baby, try living in a major city during the summer. My neighborhood had fireworks going off for a week, and on the fourth they went from about 11 am until 1 in the morning. I don’t really understand lighting them when the sun is out and setting off car alarms everywhere but that’s how it is.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Iron Crowned posted:

Now I'm picturing customers in the garden center shoving fistfuls of miracle gro into their mouths.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Henchman of Santa posted:

You are like a tiny baby, try living in a major city during the summer. My neighborhood had fireworks going off for a week, and on the fourth they went from about 11 am until 1 in the morning. I don’t really understand lighting them when the sun is out and setting off car alarms everywhere but that’s how it is.

The only fireworks I could see being any good in the day are smoke bombs, which a couple kids down the street from me love. I'm always hearing a crazy hiss and bang and then I see a gentle trickle of color above the rooftops. Very weird stuff.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

The best part is the occasional "...those are fireworks, right?" moment you get.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol at this scrub complaining about fireworks in cities

Wtf do you think country folk are up to during a holiday about murrka, are troops, and blowing up items that the government tries to regulate

Edit to avoid a doublepost: I’ve seen memes and poo poo comparing the antifa badge to the logo of the 20s and 30s german communist party as like, a condemnation of antifa. As in “See! They are tricking you! They are secret communists!”

I’m peeved because... duh? The badges are deliberately very similar. Antifa groups took that logo because german communist street gangs were the only group to oppose nazism and were proven correct when, after the OG antifa were removed from relevance in 1933, we got Long Knives and then Kristallnacht and eventually the Shoah. They are not trying to trick you you loving moron.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Jul 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol at this scrub complaining about fireworks in cities

Wtf do you think country folk are up to during a holiday about murrka, are troops, and blowing up items that the government tries to regulate

Those people don't have nearly as many neighbors to annoy, car alarms to set off or dogs to terrify