Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

ALFbrot posted:

"One thing's for certain: dads are in for a wild ride of breathing heavily and trying not to let the children smell their glistening members when they spy Sonic's tight-bodied, sultry friend Amy fluttering her come-hither lashes at the camera, as if saying to your humble reviewer that total carnal satisfaction is but a hedgehog's kiss away." - The New Yorker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

These days they would probably be playing Orbot and Cubot instead, who are pretty much just modern Sonic's (lamer) versions of Scratch and Grounder.

Haha hahaaaa!

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
Is Shrek a PoC?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Erotic Wakes posted:

Is Shrek a PoC?

No, Donkey is

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Green is a colour, so yes??

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
*OoC

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Shrek goes to the government to complain because a minority class is encroaching on his neighborhood. Sounds pretty white to me.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

dirksteadfast posted:

Shrek goes to the government to complain because a minority class is encroaching on his neighborhood. Sounds pretty white to me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hey remember how the movie doesn't exactly hide the fact that the villain straight up kills Mama Bear and turns her into a rug

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
things i liked about Incredibles 2: the animation, dash being an excitable turd of a kid, the motorcycle chase, much more emphasis on the family as a whole than just Bob and Helen. someone mentioned this earlier but i loved how clear it was that the primary goal of these superheroes is not punching out some bad guy but saving lives. the climax isn't the battle, it's averting disaster with no casualties

things i did not like: Bob being a poo poo about Helen's success and then that arc not really being addressed again. Winston rescuing a working class family from poverty. Winston making it abundantly clear that the wealthy can change the law with relative ease and sponsor the signing of a new law on their private corporate boat. Winston cracking jokes about ineffective politicians like Disney is supposed to be on my side. the villain being someone who enslaves people via media lol. the weirdly violent clash between a sadistic baby and a hungry raccoon

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ALFbrot posted:

"One thing's for certain: dads are in for a wild ride of breathing heavily and trying not to let the children smell their glistening members when they spy Sonic's tight-bodied, sultry friend Amy fluttering her come-hither lashes at the camera, as if saying to your humble reviewer that total carnal satisfaction is but a hedgehog's kiss away." - The New Yorker

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Koramei posted:

I totally agree with your other thoughts, but I really never felt that Incredibles 1 had these hanging plot threads at all, so I'm curious if other people did. Until this movie said otherwise, I always just assumed that defeating Syndrome and saving the city and so on meant that supers would become totally legal again, and presumably the family would have more than enough money to afford a new house because of that. It's never something I really thought about, and honestly thinking about it, Incredibles 2 going "no the government's been manipulating everyone to think you guys suck despite you very, very publically saving the city from Syndrome's robot" annoyed me a little bit.

Yeah, I did notice that at the police station, the cop complaining about the family's illicit superhero-ing stated that they had infrastructure in place to handle supervillains like the Underminer. Except that we never see them mobilize anything that might plausibly have stopped his machine, or save the people we see the family saving. It might have been cool to see just why things didn't outright go to poo poo within months of the superhero ban going into effect.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I really don't know what to think of Pixar anymore.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Pixar has definitely hit rock bottom. But at this point their corporate culture has been exposed so they can only get better. Hopefully it will become a better place to work.

Sad that such dicks were running the place, even if they could spin a good story.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Cockmaster posted:

Yeah, I did notice that at the police station, the cop complaining about the family's illicit superhero-ing stated that they had infrastructure in place to handle supervillains like the Underminer. Except that we never see them mobilize anything that might plausibly have stopped his machine, or save the people we see the family saving. It might have been cool to see just why things didn't outright go to poo poo within months of the superhero ban going into effect.
They talk about insurance in the same breath, so I'm pretty sure the infrastructure they're talking about is just stuff to pay for repairs(which is obviously bullshit and not good enough).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How do you think Insuracare became the collosus it is? By lobbying to outlaw supers.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Cockmaster posted:

It might be that those who are investigating and reporting the events are looking at 'Mr. Incredible directly confronts Underminer, and in retaliation he sends his giant machine on an unstoppable cruise control. Said giant device causes mass damage that his family only mitigates' and thinking 'Mr. Incredible through both direct and ineffective action, cause a giant machine of death to attack the city' without giving the shadow of the doubt that releasing the death machine was an inevitable part of Underminer's plan regardless if he was directly attacked. But laws work otherwise, so they can only assume the best case scenario. Being if the factors that allegedly caused the incident were never involved, then the incident would not have happened. And so, Mr. Incredible cause mass damage and was a liability.

So what the cops are likely talking about is liability mitigation (disclosure, I do not know lawyer terms and are making them up as I go along) through insurance, and possibly a response team to crisis events. Not infrastructure repair, non-act of god disaster relief, strike teams, or anything more pro-active.

But that does bring up a point that is unfortunately unexplored in the film. Namely, the battle between reactive and proactive justice. Even a little argument that it's theoretically possible that, if the Parr Family did not try to stop villains, then uncaught supervillains repeatedly performing crimes could be more costly (with ripple effects to the community, the city's reputation, and economically) than one giant battle with collateral damage. Not that it has to be necessarily true, but it would be an interesting theme to explore.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ccs posted:

Pixar has definitely hit rock bottom. But at this point their corporate culture has been exposed so they can only get better. Hopefully it will become a better place to work.

Sad that such dicks were running the place, even if they could spin a good story.

If the media would stop calling goosing women a 'mistake', or otherwise excuse such behavior, or treat women like they're overreacting. Pixar is just a highly condensed look at how American society look at gender roles: Men have a 'Right' to whatever woman they want, and women should accept it.

And any woman trying to advance her career or try to stand up for herself is labelled as Difficult, Bossy, or 'A Bitch'.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Or “no longer directing Brave”

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ccs posted:

The Lasseter thing is a Big Deal but if they keep the cash coming in for Disney I'm not holding my breath, pretty much every big-name aspirational employer kids grow up dreaming of working for is like this. There's a million other talented people at least as good as you who'd do anything to have your job and your boss knows it; the higher-ups are Billionaire Genius golden boys who can do no wrong and haven't heard "no" in decades; no poo poo they're gonna treat you like a side of beef.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I remembered this quote from an interview with Brad Bird about The Incredibles a long while back

Brad Bird posted:

So I said, “Give us the black sheep. I want artists who are frustrated. I want the ones who have another way of doing things that nobody’s listening to. Give us all the guys who are probably headed out the door.” A lot of them were malcontents because they saw different ways of doing things, but there was little opportunity to try them, since the established way was working very, very well.

We gave the black sheep a chance to prove their theories, and we changed the way a number of things are done here. For less money per minute than was spent on the previous film, Finding Nemo, we did a movie that had three times the number of sets and had everything that was hard to do. All this because the heads of Pixar gave us leave to try crazy ideas.

and I'm wondering how many of the people Brad was taking under his wing for the film were the type of people that Pixar was otherwise loving over

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Can we talk about the new Three Caballeros animated series that Disney covertly released only in the Philippines?

The show is in English, and all of the episodes are available on Youtube. I've seen half of the first episode so far and it's been pretty good.

EDIT: Also apparently starring a space princess?

The Unholy Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 2, 2018

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I remembered this quote from an interview with Brad Bird about The Incredibles a long while back

and I'm wondering how many of the people Brad was taking under his wing for the film were the type of people that Pixar was otherwise loving over

It was fun watching the making-of stuff for the Incredibles and having one guy be a straight-up vampire larper.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

According to that Hollywood Reporter article about Lasseter, the only way Bird himself escaped getting hosed with was because he was personally hired by Steve Jobs.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Unholy Ghost posted:

new Three Caballeros animated series

The Unholy Ghost posted:

EDIT: Also apparently starring a space princess?
Finally, Donald Duck meets Princess Leia.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny thing is there's exactly one character who looks like an animated human, everyone else is animal people. Well, she is a god.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
What's up with all the screaming goats in movie trailers?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Andorra posted:

What's up with all the screaming goats in movie trailers?

I'm pretty sure the process went almost exactly like this:

"Hmmm, we need to punch up this goat character a bit, make him appeal to children. What's the most popular goat meme at the moment?"

"Screaming goats? Well if that's what they want ..."

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I enjoyed Incredibles 2. Nothing amazing like the first movie, but I had fun and would watch another.

My main takeaway from it is that in two movies, the incredibles have shown more creativity in using superpowers than every live action superhero film combined. That's pretty disappointing.

Oh and contra to my last point, I was a little sad we didn't get more of a brawl out of Brick vs Mr Incredible

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finally saw Isle of Dogs in theaters.

I mostly enjoyed it. The big blond afro girl character annoyed me though. She was patronizing to the Japanese characters who were largely depicted as cowardly and set in their ways. She also represented a crutch for a stylistic conceit of avoiding subtitles where-ever possible. Instead of having a Japanese character advance the plot and having to subtitle her dialogue, they used an english speaking character so it wouldn't seem odd that Atari is never subtitled but another character is.

Visually it's a basically perfect movie. I have no idea how they got the effect of the fur rustling in the wind with stop motion. Have a fan on set and just hope that the end result doesn't look jittery? Some kind of complicated grooming per frame? Post-production magic?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What a coincidence, I watched Isle of Dogs yesterday (at home).

I'm not a huge fan of the film, but I enjoyed it. Afro blonde character was pretty weak, though, and did feel like a crutch as you said. This entire film of only the dogs speaking English up to that point and then she just gets up and gives a 2 minute speech. It felt like that part of Wall-E where people started talking - it was all over at that point. Even though the TV translator talked a bunch before then, she felt kind of like a second narrator, not a character.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So the makers of Your Name have a film coming out on Netflix on August 4th, Flavors of Youth. It looks stunningly pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKdOr976h3Y

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The_Doctor posted:

So the makers of Your Name have a film coming out on Netflix on August 4th, Flavors of Youth. It looks stunningly pretty.

While this does look gorgeous as hell, it should be noted that Makoto Shinkai is not among those "makers"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I came across this in an RPG Discord channel. Figured you folks might like it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gIQboCvHyc

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKdOr976h3Y
Is there any indication for what international version means outside of the subtitles?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Weird that they picked to make a film about China. China's animation industry is starting to become strong so they can tell their own stories, whereas this seems to be a take on life in China from Japanese creators. I wonder if the Chinese will see this as flattering and appealing or scorn it. Your Name did gangbusters in China.

This is a new Chinese animated series, english title "Beast Haunting" that looks pretty visually amazing:

https://vimeo.com/247943389

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's an anthology and two of the three stories have Chinese directors.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh okay cool.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm looking for a movie that I think was talked about here? I don't remember the title though.

What I do remember it's got like this celebrity or something and it's this really cybernetic / futuristic digital world where like she's super old but her grandkids (?) are trying to introduce her to this new future.

I remember it was animated. Does anyone know what movie this is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm looking for a movie that I think was talked about here? I don't remember the title though.

What I do remember it's got like this celebrity or something and it's this really cybernetic / futuristic digital world where like she's super old but her grandkids (?) are trying to introduce her to this new future.

I remember it was animated. Does anyone know what movie this is?

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/152795-the-congress ?