Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why do the cartels have such a strangle hold in Mexico? Is it really just simply due to the country bordering America?

There's several factors at play but that's the main one. The US buys drugs and sells guns, enriching the cartels while providing what they need through a vast and frankly impractical-to-police border. To this you add a national economy that's oscillated between crumbling and shaky over the past several decades, with a high rate of inequality that's created a large impoverished rural and suburban population, and a geography that makes it really difficult for federal law enforcement to operate in certain regions, and you've got a recipe for organized crime to thrive.

Corruption is also a cultural blight and Mexico could really, really use a more comprehensive civics education curriculum, but the root causes of the problem are geographical and economic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

It is really hard to overstate how fuckhuge the Mexican/American border is.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What would've happened if Polk or Pierce had managed to wrestle Baja California and Arizona up to the gulf?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hope the new Mexican president does well, there's at least some hope that not every government elected from now on will be either fascists or right wing liberals.

The Guardian did a nice little piece describing his "populist pledges", like rejecting the presidential mansion and cutting the government's use of flashy cars and airplanes while the population remains poor. The Guardian sucks: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/03/mexico-amlo-president-no-bodyguards

I don't think gestures like that are meaningless, although they will not amount to a lot of money saved. The state has been thoroughly delegitimized as a force for justice and equality in the eyes of people by decades of neolib propaganda, these kinds of changes might help reverse that a bit. Maybe making the office of president more austere will also make it less attractive to corrupt assholes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I have to wonder the logistics of those proposals if they actually get implemented. The thing with the private planes is a stickler with me since in an interview he was questioned about it, he said he would seriously intend to use commercial flights for everything and when pointed out the flaws on that plan ("Are you willing to risk running late or missing meetings with other heads of state?") he pretty much shrugged. Living in the Centro Historico can also risk turning the flow of life on its head as well and I don't know how practical it would be in the long term, I mean, Los Pinos are more or less isolated so there's no real impact to the average citizen.

On the other hand, his team has already said they will push for a reform so AMLO is able to designate the General Fiscal, currently the fiscal is designated without input from the President, AMLO wants to being able to select three candidates and let the Senate pick among them the next General Fiscal.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Saying he won't have bodyguards is kind of a dumb idea on the country that had 100 politicians killed this election season

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Plutonis posted:

Saying he won't have bodyguards is kind of a dumb idea on the country that had 100 politicians killed this election season

Oh yeah about that, back when he was mayor of Mexico City he used public money to send a group of handpicked police officers to Israel and get training so they would be the bodyguards of the City's Mayor, the infamous "Gacelas". Or at least that was the justification, once he left the charge to run for president, the Gacelas received a license so they could continue protecting AMLO during his campaign. The leader of the group became a Senator in 2012.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And here are AMLO's 7 Economic Strategies

1. Increase Minimal Wage 15.6% per year

2. Universal pension for old people at the tune of 1500 MXN (roughly $70), this means an average of 78k millions of pesos (roughly $39k millions) per year. And Pensions for young people without work or study in two tiers 3600 MXN ($180) and 2400 MXN ($120), analysts calculate a budget of 109,490 MXN millions of pesos ($55 million) per year.

3. Freezing Combustible prices.

4. Reduce Border Tariffs

5. No raise in taxes

6. Keep the Autonomy of Banco de México

7. Keep NAFTA

https://expansion.mx/economia/2018/07/03/7-propuestas-economicas-que-implementara-amlo-como-presidente?internal_source=PLAYLIST

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And here are AMLO's 7 Economic Strategies

1. Increase Minimal Wage 15.6% per year

2. Universal pension for old people at the tune of 1500 MXN (roughly $70), this means an average of 78k millions of pesos (roughly $39k millions) per year. And Pensions for young people without work or study in two tiers 3600 MXN ($180) and 2400 MXN ($120), analysts calculate a budget of 109,490 MXN millions of pesos ($55 million) per year.

3. Freezing Combustible prices.

4. Reduce Border Tariffs

5. No raise in taxes

6. Keep the Autonomy of Banco de México

7. Keep NAFTA

https://expansion.mx/economia/2018/07/03/7-propuestas-economicas-que-implementara-amlo-como-presidente?internal_source=PLAYLIST

so, where will the money come from? freezing gas prices will always favor the rich more than the poor.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
whats he going to do about the privatization of pemex?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

El Chingon posted:

so, where will the money come from? freezing gas prices will always favor the rich more than the poor.

Well you see, there's a thing called taxes. What you do is raise taxes on the wealthy.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Also on corporations

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
He also promises no raises in taxes though.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Not sure how his numbers work out, but he says there are already enough taxes being collected and it just depends on stopping it from being wasted on corruption and unnecessary spending.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

rgocs posted:

Not sure how his numbers work out, but he says there are already enough taxes being collected and it just depends on stopping it from being wasted on corruption and unnecessary spending.

I think that'd hold true for basically every South American country, the real issue is getting ANYTHING done without the people benefited by corruption and unnecessary spending.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

rgocs posted:

That's a lot easier to promise than deliver. Especially when reducing tariffs means tax cuts, in addition to his spending promises.

When he promises to fight corruption has he made any concrete policy promises or has he kept his strategy vague?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Dias posted:

for basically every South American country, the real issue is getting ANYTHING done

Yeah - say what you will about Kirchner's many misses and typical hyper-corrupt mafia government practices, but when she tried to aggressively tax the rich rural landowners, they basically campaigned to place a neoliberal president in power, and succeeded because Argentinians are idiots who seem to have forgotten that neoliberalism ruined the country in the first place. About five or six times, no less.

"I voted Macri because I hate the yegua" said my elderly mother and I knew there was no hope.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 4, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Squalid posted:

That's a lot easier to promise than deliver. Especially when reducing tariffs means tax cuts, in addition to his spending promises.

When he promises to fight corruption has he made any concrete policy promises or has he kept his strategy vague?

The latter.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How large are Mexico's emissions? Has Obreador promised to cut them?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Grouchio posted:

How large are Mexico's emissions? Has Obreador promised to cut them?

I'm looking at his site and I can't find anything regarding pollution and environment.

The IEA International Civic and Citizenship Study (ICCS) for 2016 reveals the thread's name couldn't be any more fitting. According to it, a frightening amount of teenagers from all Latin-American countries would be fine with Dictatorships as long they provide economic benefits.

:doh:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

No poo poo

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm looking at his site and I can't find anything regarding pollution and environment.

The IEA International Civic and Citizenship Study (ICCS) for 2016 reveals the thread's name couldn't be any more fitting. According to it, a frightening amount of teenagers from all Latin-American countries would be fine with Dictatorships as long they provide economic benefits.

:doh:

If I was poor as poo poo with no hope and the political system I was in vomited out neolib trash like Temer to grind me further into the dirt, so would I.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

mila kunis posted:

If I was poor as poo poo with no hope and the political system I was in vomited out neolib trash like Temer to grind me further into the dirt, so would I.

See this is bullshit.

They asked teenagers in middle school so they weren't from the most marginalized areas to truly believe there's nothing else out there. My father came from a small rural town and he wasn't able to finish middle school and yet he was able to provide for me and me three brothers up to his death. One might not be able to be rich in Mexico but is perfectly doable to have a lifestyle with food, work and shelter simply by putting a bit of effort. Those who think a dictatorship is fine simply if provides money are just lazy that just want to get stuff handed to them with no effort.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Those who think a dictatorship is fine simply if provides money are just lazy that just want to get stuff handed to them with no effort.
Are you implying that these marginalized folks are extra deadweight?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

See this is bullshit.

They asked teenagers in middle school so they weren't from the most marginalized areas to truly believe there's nothing else out there. My father came from a small rural town and he wasn't able to finish middle school and yet he was able to provide for me and me three brothers up to his death. One might not be able to be rich in Mexico but is perfectly doable to have a lifestyle with food, work and shelter simply by putting a bit of effort. Those who think a dictatorship is fine simply if provides money are just lazy that just want to get stuff handed to them with no effort.

I see now. Poverty is due to laziness and social welfare is only wanted by the undeserving lazy poor. Thank you.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

It’s not much of a stretch to say anyone expecting a military dictatorship to fix their countries economic problems has unrealistic expectations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Squalid posted:

Its not much of a stretch to say anyone expecting a military dictatorship to fix their countries economic problems has unrealistic expectations.

And is lacking in any historical knowledge whatsoever.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Squalid posted:

It’s not much of a stretch to say anyone expecting a military dictatorship to fix their countries economic problems has unrealistic expectations.

Did it say military though? Answering "I would prefer a dictatorship" could just mean "i am fed up with the corruption innate to parliamentary/presidential democracy and would like any kind of alternative"

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Shibawanko posted:

Did it say military though? Answering "I would prefer a dictatorship" could just mean "i am fed up with the corruption innate to parliamentary/presidential democracy and would like any kind of alternative"

What other kind of dictatorship is there, in practice? Also, in Latin America, "dictadura" is a word with a LOT of baggage and pretty much tacitly means "military dictatorship" every time.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Grouchio posted:

Are you implying that these marginalized folks are extra deadweight?

No, I'm talking specifically of the students sampled for that study. Marginalized folks are in fact some of the most hardworking people I've met.

mila kunis posted:

I see now. Poverty is due to laziness and social welfare is only wanted by the undeserving lazy poor. Thank you.

Somewhat actually, yeah. Due to my job I often travel to some pretty remote areas all over the country and people who have been raised in poverty work their asses off to provide for their family, and while they don't have any modern commodities, they don't lack food to put on the table and a roof over their heads. For them, the monthly allowances proposed by Obrador are a nice bonus but they would rather have opportunities for better jobs or to actually study.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Shibawanko posted:

Ah, yes, the famous dictatorship that is not filled to the brim with corruption.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Somewhat actually, yeah. Due to my job I often travel to some pretty remote areas all over the country and people who have been raised in poverty work their asses off to provide for their family, and while they don't have any modern commodities, they don't lack food to put on the table and a roof over their heads. For them, the monthly allowances proposed by Obrador are a nice bonus but they would rather have opportunities for better jobs or to actually study.

I'm middle class and have a job and "free stuff" is pretty good.

When you soak the rich and redistribute money from them to ordinary people to provide things like healthcare and housing and education or even just flat out money they get this thing called "discretionary income" which they can spend on goods and services, which boosts companies and creates jobs.

When you let the rich have their pile of loot they do things like inflate certain assets (like real estate, loving everyone else over) and pile into the latest bubbles because thats where the highest returns are.

If you're against wealth redistribution you're in favour of the strangulation of your own economy.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

mila kunis posted:

I'm middle class and have a job and "free stuff" is pretty good.

When you soak the rich and redistribute money from them to ordinary people to provide things like healthcare and housing and education or even just flat out money they get this thing called "discretionary income" which they can spend on goods and services, which boosts companies and creates jobs.

When you let the rich have their pile of loot they do things like inflate certain assets (like real estate, loving everyone else over) and pile into the latest bubbles because thats where the highest returns are.

If you're against wealth redistribution you're in favour of the strangulation of your own economy.

I understand that but so far I haven't seen any government actually redistribute wealth. AMLO is promising to do it, but since he didn't do it when he was Mexico City Mayor, I'll wait until he has actions backing up his words. Right now I find his plans to give monthly allowances to be poorly thought and potentially harmful to our economy.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The Planes Trabajar were a good idea in Argentina and it actually helped the economy a lot. Sure, a whole loving bunch of people called them "Planes Descansar" and voted Macri so that they'd stop "giving money to the lazy villeros", but that was mostly due to the media and general stupidity. There were a lot of cases where the plans were used to extort votes and such, yeah, but they also helped a lot of people have slightly better lives and injected money into the economy.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I understand that but so far I haven't seen any government actually redistribute wealth. AMLO is promising to do it, but since he didn't do it when he was Mexico City Mayor, I'll wait until he has actions backing up his words. Right now I find his plans to give monthly allowances to be poorly thought and potentially harmful to our economy.

A similar plan in Brazil called Bolsa Familia was exactly what you described and was one of the most successful wealth distribution systems ever. It turns out that attaching strings on welfare (like drug checks, only allowing food expenditure and other stuff) only costs more money to verify and control. Stop saying the poor are lazy, anime tits man.

ArnieD
Apr 1, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

No, I'm talking specifically of the students sampled for that study. Marginalized folks are in fact some of the most hardworking people I've met.

I don't really judge this "lazy" poor people you speak off that harshly, the prospect of having to work your rear end off just to have enough to survive, but without any modern commodities, doesn't sound like an awesome incentive.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

nerdz posted:

A similar plan in Brazil called Bolsa Familia was exactly what you described and was one of the most successful wealth distribution systems ever. It turns out that attaching strings on welfare (like drug checks, only allowing food expenditure and other stuff) only costs more money to verify and control. Stop saying the poor are lazy, anime tits man.

ArnieD posted:

I don't really judge this "lazy" poor people you speak off that harshly, the prospect of having to work your rear end off just to have enough to survive, but without any modern commodities, doesn't sound like an awesome incentive.

I'm not calling the poor lazy.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And the argument about welfare is secondary to my initial argument that it was about how stupid current teenagers were to think a dictatorship would be acceptable as long it gave them money.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I think the bolsa familia article on wikipedia should be a good start to see what a wealth redistribution plan can do for a country. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolsa_Fam%C3%ADlia

Please stop spreading the myth that welfare makes people lazier. It relieves people of the "survival struggle" that keeps them chained down to bad jobs, low training and employer abuse, which cuts mobility opportunities. Being an unemployed single mom is harder work than anyone here has ever done. That program allowed the children of these people to study and move up in society. I actually wonder how many now middle class people uplifted by it cheered when Dilma was impeached.

ArnieD
Apr 1, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You did there, or at least you did to the ones that don't work their asses off to get food and shelter (withouth any modern commodities)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And the argument about welfare is secondary to my initial argument that it was about how stupid current teenagers were to think a dictatorship would be acceptable as long it gave them money.

We're probably arguing different things here, but yeah I'm pretty drat sure that "more welfare" is not what poor people expect from a dictatorship, unless it comes in combat boots form administered to the face.

At least here in Brazil the people calling for a dictatorship want an "end to all the parasites leeching from the country"

ArnieD posted:

You did there, or at least you did to the ones that don't work their asses off to get food and shelter (withouth any modern commodities)

Yeah, anecdotal evidence is a pretty poor argument when it comes to demographical data. Just because your parents made it (as did mine), what really matters are the class mobility statistics. Who's to say our parents worked harder than people that are still poor?

nerdz fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 5, 2018