Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
wow

e: Seriously, the last four pages, wow

my dad fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 5th July 1918 posted:

Inspections were held at 9 a.m. The range was allotted to C Coy, from 8 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. and to D Coy from 10.30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Baths were given to D Coy from 8.30 a.m. to 9.25 a.m. and to H.Q. from 11.45 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. All men received a clean change. Gargle Parades were held in the morning and evening as a prevention against the epidemic of influenza.
Already some of the men who were sent away are returning from hospital.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

HEY GUNS posted:

i thought they loved him. Skander is still a name over there

It may have become a cultural name because of the Seleucid Empire

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SimonCat posted:

No kids allowed at AIT, they confiscated my cell phone, we did have a couple people try to commit suicide while I was there, and at least one got arrested. This being the States, getting shot is always on the table.
What is AIT and why are you assuming we all know WTF you mean?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

I mean the full blown, continent spanning, existential-crisis-for-your-civilisation kind.

Russia will continue to be Russia and the Balkans will continue to be the Balkans, but for most people in Europe these things don't register in their daily lives and have no reason to.

Ukraine isn't in the Balkans

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

What is AIT and why are you assuming we all know WTF you mean?

It's the round of Army training after Basic

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Libluini posted:

But Russia is still Russia, right? :ohdear:

zoux posted:

It's the round of Army training after Basic
Oh.

Well that's just a totally ridiculous comparison then really.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

most obviously, it's voluntary

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Arquinsiel posted:

But Russia is still Russia, right? :ohdear:
Oh.

Well that's just a totally ridiculous comparison then really.

yeah it was so stupid it wasn't worth engaging - the thing i volunteered to do and was paid for had restrictions!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They've wrapped shooting on the 8-episode Das Boot sequel

quote:

“Das Boot” is set in the fall of 1942, months after Wolfgang Petersen’s 1981 movie ended. The tide is turning against the German war effort after the Allies solve the Enigma code and opposition to the Nazis intensifies. It tells dual stories: there is the journey of the U-boat, and the story of the Resistance movement in La Rochelle. The multilingual series was filmed in German, French and English.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Libluini posted:

I know, I wasn't talking about Ukraine there.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

AWESOME

they die in the end I assume

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

"D Coy" huh? Yeah I bet those guys are totally real.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bewbies posted:

AWESOME

Oh you're just saying that because literally every single German submariner died.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

bewbies posted:

AWESOME

It wouldn't be a Das Boot sequel otherwise.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I mean the ending did look like they were pretty much dead, I am surprised.

Whatever happened to the young Napoleon TV series :smith:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Siivola posted:

I can't remember if anyone's shared this before but erryone loves the Zaporozhian Cossacks anyway so let's have another go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

Good letter writing is a lost art.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bewbies posted:

AWESOME

No idea about this series but the U-boat in Das Boot actually survived the war and was one U-boat to never take a combat casualty. It got scuttled by its crew instead.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I would say its wrong on the basis that Germany's top brass was, at varying times, still committed to the idea that they could win, even if it was at the 11th hour by some revolutionary tech that they could only produce two of (insert Maus chassis here).

The designers of these impossible designs likely had little chance of being sent to fight, because who would replace them and see Hitler's wild ambitiobs to fruition? They have no value as fighters. Even the Russians simply forced their engineers and scientists to work in apecial prisons/gulags.

Similarly, I can't imagine they would be trying to improve their portfolio because a lot (most?) of the wunderwaffen stuff didn't or was unlikely to work.

Literally Hitler was a driving force behind the Horton Amerika bomber projects, it is true, though I think 'they'd be useless as fighters' might be ascribing a little too much rationality to the Nazis of 1945.

As for the portfolio thing, the idea was not really to propose the best, most plausible ideas - otherwise only a handful of Nazi scientists would have been taken to Allied countries to work. Rather, I think the German engineers and scientists figured out what was going to happen when Germany fell: the Allies would compete to not only secure technology they were interested in, but the personnel behind it, not only so they could work for the allies, but also to keep them out of somebody else's hands. It was as much blocking other nations from getting a leg up, so the "ok, let's get this guy" was a fairly low bar. (And you of course are not wrong about wunderwaffen - but sometimes the fact that an idea was dumb was not as well known as you'd think. Stalin tried to kidnap Eugen Sanger [of the Silver Bird spaceplane bomber] because he loved the idea.)

The Soviets I've been thinking about, too, as their methods seem a little different than the West. While they sought technology, they didn't really trust the personel they could get; unless they were willing to embrace total Marxism now, they usually got engineers and scientists to teach Soviet scientists what they knew, then sent them home.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://zippy.gfycat.com/GraciousSkinnyClownanemonefish.webm

I guess this is what they mean by "double flash" What units are they measuring time in there?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

My guess is film frames.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

I know, I wasn't talking about Ukraine there.

So, are Ukrainians no Europeans in your mind?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

zoux posted:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/GraciousSkinnyClownanemonefish.webm

I guess this is what they mean by "double flash" What units are they measuring time in there?

According to the second graph on this page, if that device was a little over 100 kt then those numbers would be about right for milliseconds.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the Kaiser and Tirpitz were pretty goony (but militarist which is not so goony at all) but I don't understand how you can remotely think that Bernhard von Bulow was goony. He was like the polar opposite of a goon.

Holstein was a huge fuckin goon no argument there

I'm a third in and Bülow is portrayed as participating in the horrible "if we string the Brits along they will offer us more and more concessions in their desperation to get an alliance" ploy and my first association was that it reminded me of a goony dating stratagem. I agree that his characterization as per Massie does not make him sound like a goon. I am not hellbent on this goon-as-pejorative thing, there are lots of nice goons. I mostly wanted to vent.

The book Das Boot has the boat bombed in Harbor and ambiguously ends with the Kaleun collapsing with blood streaming from his mouth but he returns in Buchheims later "Die Festung" set in occupied France as well as in "Der Abschied" as captain of the irl German experimental nuclear freighter Otto Hahn.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GotLag posted:

According to the second graph on this page, if that device was a little over 100 kt then those numbers would be about right for milliseconds.

That's the Housatonic shot from the Operation Dominic trials and it's 8.3 Mt. That's also the last, and largest, series of atmospheric tests the US performed and Kennedy authorized them as a response to the Soviets resuming testing (with the Tsar Bomba).

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 6, 2018

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 6th July 1918 posted:

C and D Companies were engaged in grass cutting in front of the RED LINE in the morning.
At 4 p.m. advance parties went off to take over from the 8th Somersets, whom we relieve in the line to-morrow night.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
pro post from other thread

helno posted:

I went for a hike in rural Newfoundland today and visited a Relic of the Cold War.

https://imgur.com/a/PMvcRE6

You drive down a road to a slate quarry and then stop at the sign marked RB-36.

After a 30 minute hike up a hill you see the first few small bits of metal. Soon enough you start to realise just how much metal there was in a RB-36.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

zoux posted:

That's the Housatonic shot from the Operation Dominic trials and it's 8.3 Mt. That's also the last, and largest, series of atmospheric tests the US performed and Kennedy authorized them as a response to the Soviets resuming testing (with the Tsar Bomba).

I'm an idiot and for some reason took the beginning of the second brightening as being the second peak. The minimum appears at around about the 200 mark on the film, and on the chart that fits reasonably with ~200 ms being the time to minimum for an 8.3 Mt explosion.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HEY GUNS posted:

Our Goony Kaiser sounds like a tv series

My Kaiser the Goon

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GotLag posted:

I'm an idiot and for some reason took the beginning of the second brightening as being the second peak. The minimum appears at around about the 200 mark on the film, and on the chart that fits reasonably with ~200 ms being the time to minimum for an 8.3 Mt explosion.

See I figured the initial explosion events would be measured in nano- or even picoseconds rather than milliseconds. 200ms seems glacially slow for such a powerful event.

I know why nuclear explosions have a double flash, and that is a unique characteristic of nuclear explosions. That's why the Vela incident is thought to be a secret nuclear test. My question is, are there conventional explosions that produce a single flash that is bright enough to be confused for a nuclear explosion?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

zoux posted:

Man. Nukes are insane.

Here's a fuller video of that shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc2mSFJhb00

That's at 12,130 feet in the air, which looks so so high up, but if that were dropped over DC and detonated at 20,000 feet it would cause 3rd degree burns well outside of the entire area of the beltway, from Lorton to Laurel.

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/?&kt=8300&lat=38.8946925&lng=-77.0218993&hob_psi=5&hob_ft=20743&casualties=1&fallout=1&psi=20,5,1&zm=10

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 6, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

glynnenstein posted:

Man. Nukes are insane.

Here's a fuller video of that shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc2mSFJhb00

That's at 12,130 feet in the air, which looks so so high in the air, but if that were dropped over DC and detonated at 20,000 feet it would cause 3rd degree burns well outside of the entire area of the beltway, from Lorton to Laurel.

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/?&kt=8300&lat=38.8946925&lng=-77.0218993&airburst=0&hob_ft=0&casualties=1&psi=20,5,1&zm=10

Nukes are insane. There's also a fascinating beauty to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2I66dHbSRA

They are awesome in the most literal sense of the word, inspiring intense wonder and fear simultaneously. If anyone hasn't seen Trinity and Beyond, watch it on the largest, best definition TV you can find.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
M'England

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

If you are like me and don't have a intuitive feel for how terrible nukes are, go to nukemap and drop a few in local places. Yeah, I knew that nukes were really big explosions who would kill a lot of people, but being able to connect the size of the devastated area to places you recognize puts it in perspective.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

HEY GUNS posted:

Our Goony Kaiser sounds like a tv series

It'd probably work out something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf9jJx0NSjw

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

zoux posted:

See I figured the initial explosion events would be measured in nano- or even picoseconds rather than milliseconds. 200ms seems glacially slow for such a powerful event.

The detonation of the bomb starts and is over in under 100 nanoseconds, but it takes longer for the distribution of all that energy that was released to run to completion.

quote:

I know why nuclear explosions have a double flash, and that is a unique characteristic of nuclear explosions. That's why the Vela incident is thought to be a secret nuclear test. My question is, are there conventional explosions that produce a single flash that is bright enough to be confused for a nuclear explosion?

There have been tests using massive amounts of conventional HE to duplicate nuclear weapon blast effects on a small scale, but even staggering amounts of conventional explosives don't produce a double flash, because they lack the UV and X-ray component that heats the surrounding air into a visually-opaque plasma.

I know a guy who used to work for SAIC, and at one point he was involved in a program to try to duplicate some of the flash effects (I think in order to test anti-flash paint for bombers and such), and the method they arrived at was basically an enormous double-barreled shotgun with one barrel firing liquid oxygen and the other one firing powdered aluminum. But again, no double-flash.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bewbies posted:

Indeed. A RB-36 has a bad night and flies directly into a hillside during a storm. It's one of two(?) remaining B-36 wrecks, and Ellsworth AFB is named after the senior dead officer.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's one of two(?) remaining B-36 wrecks, and Ellsworth AFB is named after the senior dead officer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PfRfz8L7CE

Movies aside, in 1950 one crashed close to where I live now, in Colorado:

The area where it crashed is now covered with Starbucks and craft beer breweries.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Libluini posted:

So, are Ukrainians no Europeans in your mind?

Ugh, what is it with the shitposting and poor reading comprehension lately? There were two references in my post. One of them was not Ukraine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phanatic posted:

The detonation of the bomb starts and is over in under 100 nanoseconds, but it takes longer for the distribution of all that energy that was released to run to completion.

There have been tests using massive amounts of conventional HE to duplicate nuclear weapon blast effects on a small scale, but even staggering amounts of conventional explosives don't produce a double flash, because they lack the UV and X-ray component that heats the surrounding air into a visually-opaque plasma.

I know a guy who used to work for SAIC, and at one point he was involved in a program to try to duplicate some of the flash effects (I think in order to test anti-flash paint for bombers and such), and the method they arrived at was basically an enormous double-barreled shotgun with one barrel firing liquid oxygen and the other one firing powdered aluminum. But again, no double-flash.

Good answers thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bewbies posted:

Yeah the B-36 is a tremendously huge plane. It's not double the size of a B-52 or anything but it's definitely a gigantic bird.

There's one in the SAC museum 45 mins or so from me and it just dwarfs everything else in that hangar except maybe the B-52.