Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
The Facebook app also looks like rear end on an iPad Pro.
Shows how much they care for tablets in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Hello Spaceman posted:

The Instagram website offers almost the same functionality as the app, but the execution is, uh, lacking.

If the Instagram app were a pick-up truck, the website would be a wheelbarrow.

The website doesn’t let you view or write direct messages. It’s really dumb.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

ethanol posted:

Wait Instagram doesn’t have an iPad app? Lol

This has long suspected been the reason Apple didn't increase the default scaled iPhone size on iPads, trying to force Instagram's hand.

8 years later, Apple gave up.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
Originally bought the 2018 iPad for music making on the go a month ago, and it works great with the camera connection kit and a MIDI controller I have. About a week and half ago I picked up the Apple Pencil and have been totally blown away by the drat thing. Combined with a drawing course from Udemy I've been spending a couple hours a day working on sketches, and with the pressure sensitivity it feels really realistic while allowing me to experiment with tons of different drawings without eating up a lots of paper. Now I'm waiting for the new iPads to be announced so I can buy a 12.9" pro because I find myself wishing for more screen real estate as well as no airgap (sometimes the 2018 iPad has a little bit of give depending on how much pressure I'm applying, but its nothing major). I'm also wondering if Apple will be releasing an updated pencil with different kinds of tips.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Supersonic posted:

I'm also wondering if Apple will be releasing an updated pencil with different kinds of tips.

I would kill for them to change the tips to some kind of quick release snap-on connector. Give me a chisel-tip as a “high-lighter” function and a regular tip for annotations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Give me a pencil tip that makes everything I write comic sans and I’ll pay whatever you want.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It’s mind boggling that Facebook hasn’t made a larger iPad Pro version. Instagram I remember reading way back that they wanted people to only use their phone because it fit their vision of how people should use it (back before Facebook bought them)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is the pro due for a refresh?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The best reason to jailbreak in 2011 was the hack where iPads would use retina resources in iPhone apps so they didn’t look like complete rear end.

That was moot when retina iPads came out.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Calaveron posted:

kinda. Likely to receive smaller bezels, no home button, FaceID and a the new A12X.

If you can wait, it could be worth it. If nothing else to buy the current model on firesale

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Yeast posted:

kinda. Likely to receive smaller bezels, no home button, FaceID and a the new A12X.

If you can wait, it could be worth it. If nothing else to buy the current model on firesale

I have a 9.7 pro that still works fine but I'm a consumer whore

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

Maybe in the fall or winter if we're lucky, but there's also been ridiculously cheap sub-$500 iPad Pro 10.5" and it's such a steal at that price. Keep in mind the A11X is already super fast and the 10.5" model has smaller bezels.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
People have reported CPU slowdowns on music creation apps and I noticed lag in Procreate on the 9.7 when working at higher image sizes. But that just may be us hitting the upper limits of what a tablet/not-a-computer can do.

For absolutely everything you’d expect a tablet to do, anything with a Pro in the name is going to work fine until we’re well into the next decade.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Did they mention this at WWDC? I don’t remember it.

quote:

iPad gestures

iOS 12 for iPad includes updated gestures that make it easier to navigate. You can now go to the Home screen by quickly swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Get to Control Center more conveniently with a swipe from the top-right corner.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Did they mention this at WWDC? I don’t remember it.

Not mentioned at WWDC but a bunch of videos on 9to5 and macrumors pointed it out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dumb question about something that annoys the hell out of me: when you have the Smart Keyboard attached to the iPad, is there really no way for the auto fill user/password box to show up outside of detaching the keyboard for a second so the on-screen keyboard (with the auto fill box on top) show up?

EDIT: hahahahahahahaha gently caress me I just installed the ios12 public beta and sure enough this is now a new feature

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dumb question about something that annoys the hell out of me: when you have the Smart Keyboard attached to the iPad, is there really no way for the auto fill user/password box to show up outside of detaching the keyboard for a second so the on-screen keyboard (with the auto fill box on top) show up?

EDIT: hahahahahahahaha gently caress me I just installed the ios12 public beta and sure enough this is now a new feature

Works fine for me in iOS 11. I get the usual bar across the bottom that has the paste icon and the saved account I can select for auto-fill of logons.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

Works fine for me in iOS 11. I get the usual bar across the bottom that has the paste icon and the saved account I can select for auto-fill of logons.

Yeah I don’t think i ever saw that on ios11 for some reason. Working now on 12 so whatever but it’s nice to see that it was there by chance.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I have never seen that bar on my 10.5" Pro with Smart Keyboard. Thanks iOS 11.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apparently the iOS12 public beta removes the multitasking limit of the slideover app on iPad 5th/6th gen and the Air 2

:woop:

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I have never seen that bar on my 10.5" Pro with Smart Keyboard. Thanks iOS 11.

I think that button on the far right hides it, and from the sound of it possibly forever. There might be a setting in Keyboards somewhere to get it back

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I have a friend who uses an iPad for campfire guitar chords, and I bought a cheap iPad off kijiji to do the same. The chords are in text files on dropbox.

I did zero research as I thought this would be simple. I got an iPad 2 for cheap, but apparently you now need iOS 10 for the dropbox app, and the 2 runs 9.3..something max.

What's the simplest way I could get this to work? Do I need to jailbreak the thing? I just need to sync a few thousand text files in a folder somewhere in a dropbox.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Colonel J posted:

I have a friend who uses an iPad for campfire guitar chords, and I bought a cheap iPad off kijiji to do the same. The chords are in text files on dropbox.

I did zero research as I thought this would be simple. I got an iPad 2 for cheap, but apparently you now need iOS 10 for the dropbox app, and the 2 runs 9.3..something max.

What's the simplest way I could get this to work? Do I need to jailbreak the thing? I just need to sync a few thousand text files in a folder somewhere in a dropbox.

I don't know if you can jailbreak it not, but even if you do Dropbox most likely won't work unless you can find an ancient old version of it that runs on iOS 9. And then you run into the possible issue that maybe Dropbox has changed their internal APIs, so that that older version is no longer capable of working period.

Have you checked if either Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive works on iOS 9? Because it's probably easier to just sync your dropbox folder to one of those other services on your computer and access it through there on your iPad.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Colonel J posted:

Do you really need syncing or will it be enough to get the files onto the iPad and then it will be fine?

I'd suggest downgrading the iPad to IOS6, getting an old version of GoodReader or something on there, then syncing those files over manually.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah you might need to iTunes for that too.

Didn’t caliber use to do it?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't know if you can jailbreak it not, but even if you do Dropbox most likely won't work unless you can find an ancient old version of it that runs on iOS 9. And then you run into the possible issue that maybe Dropbox has changed their internal APIs, so that that older version is no longer capable of working period.

Have you checked if either Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive works on iOS 9? Because it's probably easier to just sync your dropbox folder to one of those other services on your computer and access it through there on your iPad.

Google Drive works, and cloudHQ can keep folders in sync between Dropbox and Drive it seems. That might be the way to go for now, although it's annoying that I can't tell Drive to always keep a specific folder available offline, so that if I add files they'll be downloaded automatically. Still a pretty good solution for now.

~Coxy posted:

Do you really need syncing or will it be enough to get the files onto the iPad and then it will be fine?

I'd suggest downgrading the iPad to IOS6, getting an old version of GoodReader or something on there, then syncing those files over manually.

Syncing is a nice bonus as we add songs to the Dropbox all the time.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah you might need to iTunes for that too.

Didn’t caliber use to do it?

Hmm I didn't know Caliber but I see it has dropbox integration and works with ios 9... Might pay the 5$ if it can auto-sync all new files to my iPad.

thanks for the replies all.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Apparently home sharing and family sharing don’t work together, nor can you stream something on an iPad from family sharing you could stream to an Apple TV. I find this very annoying. Doesn’t seem to have changed in iOS 12 either.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
They switched the “.?123” and emoji buttons around on the bottom left of the keyboard in ios12 and it’s pissing me off more than it probably should.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

If I connect my iPad to a projector via HDMI, how do I control the slides (next slide etc)? Is it possible to make the volume up/down buttons on my iPhone do that?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

If I connect my iPad to a projector via HDMI, how do I control the slides (next slide etc)? Is it possible to make the volume up/down buttons on my iPhone do that?

You can use the iPhone as a remote if you're using Keynote, not sure if PowerPoint has that feature

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You can use the iPhone as a remote if you're using Keynote, not sure if PowerPoint has that feature

Yeah that’s a really cool feature (as is controlling Keynote in iCloud.com!) but I was looking for a solution with a physical button. I think I already know the answer is no but I thought I’d ask.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

They switched the “.?123” and emoji buttons around on the bottom left of the keyboard in ios12 and it’s pissing me off more than it probably should.

No, no, this is absolutely loving infuriating and you should be as pissed off as you possibly can get :)

It really sucks balls, I hope it's not a permanent change.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

smr posted:

No, no, this is absolutely loving infuriating and you should be as pissed off as you possibly can get :)

It really sucks balls, I hope it's not a permanent change.

So they DID change. I keep hitting the emoji button.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I hate when they mess with a keyboard I’ve been using for years. I had to relearn all the symbols when my iPad went to the weird swipe down keyboard.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Colonel J posted:

So for some reason, Google Drive won't make "offline available" more than a few hundred of my files. I've accepted that I need to manually copy all the files to the iPad and I'll update them manually as new ones come up.

Anyone knows a good app to handle a few thousand text files?

- ios 9.3 maximum
- I'd like if the archive could be searchable.
- There are .doc, .txt and .rtf files mixed together, though if that's a problem I can find some way to convert them all to .txt
- I'd like if the list could be scrolled through instantly, i.e. no lazy loading of the next x elements when you scroll to the bottom
- I don't mind paying a few bucks

this is the only thing the ipad will be used for. Thanks a bunch!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ahhhhh gently caress. iPad took a bit of a bath there. It was still running when I pulled it out of the water but I powered it off immediately. For a while, it was trying to restart itself, sometimes flashing a fully red screen for a split-second, but eventually it got to a PIN code screen, so I unlocked it and powered it off again and now it's stopped. I read somewhere that putting it in rice is actually bad, so for now I've got it propped upright in a kinda-warm room while powered off.

Am I hosed and have to pay over £400 for a repair, or is there a hope that it'll be fine in the morning? I'm kinda scared to switch it on for peace of mind.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

Ahhhhh gently caress. iPad took a bit of a bath there. It was still running when I pulled it out of the water but I powered it off immediately. For a while, it was trying to restart itself, sometimes flashing a fully red screen for a split-second, but eventually it got to a PIN code screen, so I unlocked it and powered it off again and now it's stopped. I read somewhere that putting it in rice is actually bad, so for now I've got it propped upright in a kinda-warm room while powered off.

Am I hosed and have to pay over £400 for a repair, or is there a hope that it'll be fine in the morning? I'm kinda scared to switch it on for peace of mind.

Depends on the model. iPhones from the 6s on had sealed logic boards and were thus water resistant (not water proof). I don’t know if that carried over to iPads, but this article seems to imply the Pro models are at least water resistant.

https://tablet-news.com/ipad-pro-9-7-gets-dunked-in-water-to-test-its-waterproofing-capabilities-video/

I’ve never heard rice was bad. I’d probably go that route to at least absorb any extra moisture inside the case. But even if it starts working properly, you could have corrosion later.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It's a 10.5" pro so that's promising - thanks!
All we have in the house is pudding rice, so it's currently sitting on a bed of rice inside a sealed food bag.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

It's a 10.5" pro so that's promising - thanks!
All we have in the house is pudding rice, so it's currently sitting on a bed of rice inside a sealed food bag.

Not sure what pudding rice is, but the rice is supposed to act as a dessicant to help water evaporate from inside the device, so it won't work if the device is sealed inside of a bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Whoops, I mean the rice is in the bag along with the iPad.