Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Riatsala posted:

So paging OwlFancier or chitoryu, I have a few Horizon questions.

1. Does Horizon implement any kind of inter-settlement shared storage system? All of my junk is at Sanctuary, and I'd like to get the other ~5 settlements in that corner of the map going without having to transport all that stuff around.

1b. If so, can you craft/build directly from that storage?

2. Is there a way of crafting smokeless powder from scratch? Ammo is getting to be a problem.

1. Yes, it has a big shared storage and inter-settlement production system.

1b. Not... sure actually, I think you might be able to designate a particular settlement inventory as the shared storage inventory but I'm not sure? You can auto deposit products into settlements and craft from any inventory that has a trade route, as normal, but not sure if you can craft purely from shared inventory. If you want to set up a settlement just make a trade route to it and you can build from all linked inventories, that's a vanilla feature. You can also craft packages which contain all the junk you need to build a basic jenny and beacon etc.

2. No, at least I don't think so, powder is basically the limiting factor for ammo, you can get it by taking apart other bullets and you can buy cans of it/find them in the world, but I don't think you can just make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also you can find Damaged Rounds as loot. These can be disassembled for smokeless powder.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Part of the trick with horizon is to make use of all your ammo, get a conversion kit for your guns ASAP, and use the weapon toolkit to change ammo on the fly. Pipe guns can take a variety of low tier ammo.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Sim settlements question: if I've got a companion as mayor, haven't maxed the city, and want to change mayors midstream does it 1) keep my progress and play nicely, or 2) restart from zero?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe it keeps your progress unless you take the city back.

Easy option is to save and test it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yes changing/removing mayors doesn't affect city progress at all. If there's no mayor it just pauses until you assign another one. Changing mayors doesn't have any interruption.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

OwlFancier posted:

Part of the trick with horizon is to make use of all your ammo, get a conversion kit for your guns ASAP, and use the weapon toolkit to change ammo on the fly. Pipe guns can take a variety of low tier ammo.

I got a p90 in my game and quickly reconfigured it to spew all my 5mm going spare. The systems aren't necessarily well documented and it plays like a whole new game but the conveniences are amazing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dick Trauma posted:

I've never joined the BoS on any of my too many playthroughs. Am I missing out on anything cool?

They give you that rarest and most precious of commodities: a suit of power armour!!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fallout Script Extender and the default Fallout .exe keep crashing when I launch through MO2, but they work fine on their own. Has anyone else experienced this?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've noticed some of my junk items disappearing. At first it was screws, now gears. I collect scrap like mad so I'm wondering if my Sim Settlements are burning it all for their construction.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fuligin posted:

Fallout Script Extender and the default Fallout .exe keep crashing when I launch through MO2, but they work fine on their own. Has anyone else experienced this?

try running mod organizer through administrator mode? I recall having a similar issue and that fixed it for me.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Dick Trauma posted:

I've noticed some of my junk items disappearing. At first it was screws, now gears. I collect scrap like mad so I'm wondering if my Sim Settlements are burning it all for their construction.

yeah I have the same question. I think they do this in vanilla but I thought in Sim Settlements they only used stuff you put in the city manager's safe?

I kind of regret using sim settlements before having a proper grip on vanilla settlements (I pretty much ignored them when playing unmodded).

I love the idea of settlements growing by themselves but when it comes to managing my own scrap / armor / weapons, is the following setup possible?
* While exploring, be able to dump scrap and unwanted (for now) armor etc. in any nearby settlement workshop
* While crafting, use any workstation in any settlement and have access to all resources across settlements
* Not have settlers steal my poo poo

I know there are supply lines for sharing resources but I dunno how / if they work with sim settlements.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

fuf posted:

yeah I have the same question. I think they do this in vanilla but I thought in Sim Settlements they only used stuff you put in the city manager's safe?

I kind of regret using sim settlements before having a proper grip on vanilla settlements (I pretty much ignored them when playing unmodded).

I love the idea of settlements growing by themselves but when it comes to managing my own scrap / armor / weapons, is the following setup possible?
* While exploring, be able to dump scrap and unwanted (for now) armor etc. in any nearby settlement workshop
* While crafting, use any workstation in any settlement and have access to all resources across settlements

I know there are supply lines for sharing resources but I dunno how / if they work with sim settlements.

Supply lines work just fine, in my experience.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
The way to set up supply lines is to go into construction mode, go to the settler you want to use as a "provisioner" and at the bottom of the screen it should give you an additional hotkey command for telling that settler to go haul your poo poo. I think you need local leader perk as well? I usually just console command those in.

I don't know how to make settlers not take out of the workshop. I didn't even know it was possible, but I am not familiar with how anything works. But I collect so much junk I would never notice if any of it went missing.

I've reinstalled everything and I think I got all my mods correct, but my sanctuary is still stuck at like 6 settlers. With two separate recruitment beacons.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

vandalism posted:

I'm tempted to try horizon but I like quick and brutal combat in which i either kill or die in a few shots. Seems more realistic.

You can compensate for this by using Realistic Survival Damage, which will increase damage to and from the PC. It will also ensure the PC does equal damage as NPCs when using the same weapons (not taking perks into account). Load after Horizon and the 'Wanderers Difficulty' patch if you are using it. However it won't affect NPC vs NPC combat, which will be much less damaging and slow. You can easily edit the patch in FO4Edit to increase the damage rate, if desired.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

I've never joined the BoS on any of my too many playthroughs. Am I missing out on anything cool?

You get recruited into the BoS by Wesker, and fly around on the Prydwyn hover over Boston Airport with Tuvok, Reginald Barkley, Aranea and Skeletor. Other than that... nah, not really. There's a BoS-specific plot twist involving Danse, but it's best left unsaid.

Varance fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 6, 2018

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You join the BoS to get the best fast travel method

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bholder posted:

You join the BoS to get the best fast travel method
Oh, yeah. Free jetpack mod for your power armor, and you can ride around in a Vertibird to blast stuff on the ground with a minigun.

Regardless of which path you take, you end up in charge of the Commonwealth... one way or another. It *is* possible to end up leading all Commonwealth Minuteman and Railroad forces while still remaining friendly with the Brotherhood at the end of the game, but there a very specific quest sequence needed to pull that one off. A sort of fifth "secret" ending.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If I do a power armor character playthrough I'll give them a go then.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I've never bothered with the Institute ending, and always ended up consoling in the Institute Power Armor paint and the Institute settlement stuff... worth it even with a quicksave/quickload?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Varance posted:

Oh, yeah. Free jetpack mod for your power armor, and you can ride around in a Vertibird to blast stuff on the ground with a minigun.

Regardless of which path you take, you end up in charge of the Commonwealth... one way or another. It *is* possible to end up leading all Commonwealth Minuteman and Railroad forces while still remaining friendly with the Brotherhood at the end of the game, but there a very specific quest sequence needed to pull that one off. A sort of fifth "secret" ending.

I think I'm going to give that a shot on mine.

I downloaded some of the mods that enhance the faction quarters like the Minuteman General's quarters or your Prydwen bunk. Do you have to beat the game with that faction's specific ending to get it or would this fifth ending let you maintain those?

I think with how difficult Horizon is so far, I'm going to spend some days just working on building up Sanctuary and exploring the immediate area. I did get the Lone Wanderer motorcycle fast travel mod, so I can use that to make travel a bit easier.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

chitoryu12 posted:

I think with how difficult Horizon is so far, I'm going to spend some days just working on building up Sanctuary and exploring the immediate area. I did get the Lone Wanderer motorcycle fast travel mod, so I can use that to make travel a bit easier.

I paused around level 10 and built up Sanctuary, Abernathy, and Starlight, now I don't have to worry about steel, wood, concrete, adhesive, or water. Highly recommended.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I miiiight go far enough to reach Diamond City so I can fast travel to and from there, but that's it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

fuf posted:

Regular supply lines will work fine for your personal craft and build process. Sim Settlements also passes around extra food and water ratings, though you'll still get settler barks about food and water insecurity.

The Logistics Station mod is an industrial plot whose worker becomes a provisioner in a minimum spanning tree of other logistics stations, and the plot gets extra functions like summoning the provisioner to arm them up or whatever.

The Salvage Beacon mod makes a non-plotted comms station which when staffed will send a settler out to pick up the entire contents of an unowned container, indoor or outdoor, and deliver them to wherever when you put a crafted beacon item in the container. If you have a planner desk there you can say to dump the items into planner desk storage instead.

Planner desk storage works like so. If you donate:
- food or water, it goes into a reserve that can hold 3 days' worth. Settlers will eat and drink out of this reserve first in order to not die, before moving on to consume anything in local workshop storage.
- chems or booze, it will be consumed to apply a happiness buff lasting several days, with an undocumented chance of settler death?
- weapons, armor, or ammo, it will be consumed to add to the "armory rating", which provides a small defense buff for every multiple of your settler count it is.
- scrap, it will be consumed to add to the upgrade scrap count. The city level upgrade is the only thing that uses this scrap count, and cities can consume scrap from local workshop storage if there's enough in there that they'd be able to upgrade otherwise.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The Logistics Station mod is super fantastic, as IIRC it will connect the settlement to the supply network at the cost of only one settler for manning the plot. This means that settlements in central locations won't have to use multiple settlers to keep everything around them connected.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

I think I'm going to give that a shot on mine.

I downloaded some of the mods that enhance the faction quarters like the Minuteman General's quarters or your Prydwen bunk. Do you have to beat the game with that faction's specific ending to get it or would this fifth ending let you maintain those?

To my knowledge, you get to keep all the perks associated with the three factions that you get before triggering any of the faction endgame sequences (Form Ranks for Minutemen, Tactical Thinking for Brotherhood, Underground Undercover for the Railroad or Mass Fusion for the Institute).

Spoiler: You can always change your mind and blow up the Prydwen later via a Minutemen quest in the endgame, if you really feel like it. If you go for the world peace route and do it right, it's also possible to keep all followers alive and recruitable, except for X6-88.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

The Logistics Station mod is super fantastic, as IIRC it will connect the settlement to the supply network at the cost of only one settler for manning the plot. This means that settlements in central locations won't have to use multiple settlers to keep everything around them connected.

Definitely going to try that mod out. Have to restock all the resources my drat settlers stole from the workbench. RIP my screws, gears and leather.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strictly you only need one settler per settlement anyway to do supply lines, there's nothing stopping you connecting from outlying settlements to central ones, you can connect masses of settlements to one central one without using any settlers in the central settlement if you don't want to.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someday I'll catch that hapless idiot traveling between Oberland Station and The Red Rocket and redirect that supply line.

My Provisioner from Nordhagen Beach got caught and killed by the robots at East City Downs, so I had to retool my supply lines a bit anyway.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Someday I'll catch that hapless idiot traveling between Oberland Station and The Red Rocket and redirect that supply line.

My Provisioner from Nordhagen Beach got caught and killed by the robots at East City Downs, so I had to retool my supply lines a bit anyway.

What?? They can get killed? Do you have to be near them and witness it for it to happen or does it just.. happen?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I rarely send multiple provisioners to the same settlement because the brahmin backup gets pretty bad. In this go-round I've been trying to carefully send them in a circuit, like Zamonja>Tenpines>Starlight>Sanct>RR>Abernathy and so on.

I like giving my provisioners mining helmets and a Fat Man since I never use heavy weapons. One way or another they're always my most heavily armed NPCs, particularly for the dangerous paths, and sometimes I can see their little light in the distance, often accompanied by huge explosions.

But the Logistics mod sounds like it will provide a better approach to linking the settlements. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Dick Trauma posted:

I rarely send multiple provisioners to the same settlement because the brahmin backup gets pretty bad. In this go-round I've been trying to carefully send them in a circuit, like Zamonja>Tenpines>Starlight>Sanct>RR>Abernathy and so on.

I like giving my provisioners mining helmets and a Fat Man since I never use heavy weapons. One way or another they're always my most heavily armed NPCs, particularly for the dangerous paths, and sometimes I can see their little light in the distance, often accompanied by huge explosions.

But the Logistics mod sounds like it will provide a better approach to linking the settlements. I'm looking forward to trying it.

I only started with settlements recently, but i found that linking them with the closest settlement, making sure they're all linked in one way or another, works best. You don't end up with a bunch of provisioners/brahim at one spot and you often encounter them in your travels since they're traveling all over the map rather than all to one spot.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Has anyone used the mod below that allows you to complete "Home Sweet Home" and "Power Play" without having to raid settlements and risk getting Preston pissed off at you?
I want to use it but don't want to risk breaking my game by the time I'm going through Nuka-World.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18121/

fish fingers
Jun 25, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Has anyone used the mod below that allows you to complete "Home Sweet Home" and "Power Play" without having to raid settlements and risk getting Preston pissed off at you?
I want to use it but don't want to risk breaking my game by the time I'm going through Nuka-World.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18121/

I have, didn't have any issues with it. Just spoke to the bloke and the quest was done

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

for provisioners i generally do just one leaving from each settlement. provisioners still count towards the population of the place they're leaving, so you don't want to just have one settlement sending out all their settlers or you'll end up with a ghost town, this also keeps brahmin trains down to 1-2 minimum

other sim settlements 3-in-1 things ive noticed: the notes claims that settlements will contribute to the scrap upgrade count on their own but this seems to take a realllllly long time. tenpines has been sitting at 10/10 population with 100% on plots for half my game so far and still shows as 0% scrap. also some towns are much more of an issue to upgrade than others. sanctuary didn't seem to require too much scrap donated to upgrade to L1, but red rocket I had to clear out multiple work benches and go broke buying up scrap to improve. I could donate like 200 lbs of junk and it'd only jump like 15%.

other thing is settlers joining mayor-led settlements seems really spotty in comparison to just building your own recruitment beacons. ive taken to just setting up beacons in towns I don't have a mayor at and using those as feeder towns to distribute new settlers to mayor run ones.

edit: one other provisioner thing, you can move excess settlers from a town and assign them as provisioners before they've even left their old home. just stay in workshop mode and wait a beat after moving them then select assign supply line. this is good if youre doing no fast travel or just want to set up multiple supply lines to far away settlements at once

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 6, 2018

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

fish fingers posted:

I have, didn't have any issues with it. Just spoke to the bloke and the quest was done

Kill all raiders and take Nisha's middle school cool mask.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

What's the easiest way of enabling the console in Survival nowadays? I foolishly thought that Horizon would keep the -10 max health effect for Mole Rat Disease and gave away the cure only to find out that it's actually a permanent -3 to strength.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Riatsala posted:

What's the easiest way of enabling the console in Survival nowadays? I foolishly thought that Horizon would keep the -10 max health effect for Mole Rat Disease and gave away the cure only to find out that it's actually a permanent -3 to strength.

Is that new? The last time I played Horizon was a few updates ago and the mole rat disease was specifically changed to NOT be permanent (although it lasts a few realtime hours).

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Is that new? The last time I played Horizon was a few updates ago and the mole rat disease was specifically changed to NOT be permanent (although it lasts a few realtime hours).

I misread some patch notes, you're right; it's still one realtime hour. I can deal with that. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Can you realistically try and get max stats using horizon?