Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Eej posted:

From a few pages ago but

My own personal beef with the show itself is the whole backstory of America allying with China to explore space, everyone cusses in Mandarin and the culture is now intertwined but there's not a single Chinese character on the cast so Joss Whedon can gently caress right off

I'm a white boy learning Mandarin to better get along with my new family :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Relentlessboredomm posted:

This is the best one. He seems to think using dna tests involves sexual assault:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1015008133939417088

What is the reason for this nickname again?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

She claimed Native American ancestry on a college application.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
And it was verified by the local tribe. Basically outrage that a white looking girl would get to take advantage of any affirmative action type incentives.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1015016059970228224?s=21

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I'm a white boy learning Mandarin to better get along with my new family :shobon:

Isn't written chinese also hilariously difficult to learn compared to english because of the variations in written and spoken languages, and the varieties of languages spoken by "Chinese", and the mountain of characters to learn?

And now that I've let my mind idle on Firefly bullshit, there are non-english characters used in Serenity, when they're at the bar that docs' sister flips out in. It's the video feed in the background that triggers her into bitch mode. Not important, just an odd memory of the movie.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

And it was verified by the local tribe. Basically outrage that a white looking girl would get to take advantage of any affirmative action type incentives.

Have a source for that?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Broken clock just dropped a fuckin' truth bomb

E: I want to believe Pruitt quit because Jeff Sessions found some obscure piece of law whereby dueling is still legal between cabinet members

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 6, 2018

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Democrats are getting smart (seriously, I KNOW) at immediately redirecting Trump insults.

https://twitter.com/elizabethforma/status/1015020727513305094

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lots of scifi has Chinese/American intermingling. It's not like it's done without good reason. Besides, language is fluid enough that it will evolve, look at how many bullshit words are added every year (when they do the word of the year poo poo every new years on every news show).

It's a 15 year old show. It's got obvious flaws because Whedon doesn't have foresight.

This is less about the actual words and more that an ethnicity is being used by a white dude to add a sense of progressiveness while at the same time avoiding representing any of that ethnicity on screen. Like a Tarantino movie without any black people in it.

E: also the script is more or less the same and even though Cantonese has its own unique written words someone from HK can read something written by a peasant in butt gently caress nowhere. I can only vouch for Cantonese but generally speaking written Cantonese is the same as written Mandarin but if you actually spoke written Chinese in Cantonese you'd sound unnatural like if you talked like a technical manual.

Eej fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 6, 2018

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Was this the whole story? I keep forgetting, I thought she could directly trace back to an ancestor or something, I just know that his claim is false. Either way, she has reached out to tribes to ensure their support as well if this comes up again.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Please post in the gbs china thread.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

Please post in the gbs china thread.

I do sometimes

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

There's a lot of messed up, hard to understand stuff occurring on a daily basis these days, but this... I honestly can't comprehend how anyone can get to the point where they could do this seriously and think it was fine. I feel like I just have no frame of reference for how these people think :psyduck:

At least everything is nicely digitized and conveniently accessible for ease of research when Hannah Arendt’s corpse claws its way out of the grave to write the sequel to “Eichmann in Jerusalem.”

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

ded posted:

Have a source for that?

lightpole posted:

Was this the whole story? I keep forgetting, I thought she could directly trace back to an ancestor or something, I just know that his claim is false. Either way, she has reached out to tribes to ensure their support as well if this comes up again.

Woops sorry, definitely misspoke (wrote?). There's no solid evidence one way or the other, but she's been working with a bunch of tribes and has their support. My brain mushed it together.

facialimpediment posted:

Democrats are getting smart (seriously, I KNOW) at immediately redirecting Trump insults.

https://twitter.com/elizabethforma/status/1015020727513305094

She's always been good at spitting fire which is why I like her.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

What tribe was she claiming? I'm like 1/32 Cherokee and the kids are 1/64th. The Cherokee track everyone's poo poo as long as you register with them at birth and your family signed the roles back in the day. Even get a cool little card. http://www.cherokee.org/Services/Tribal-Citizenship/Citizenship

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

She's always been good at spitting fire which is why I like her.

Same except Donald Trump.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Also the idea that he would donate a million dollars to charity is especially hilarious, especially after his foundation was caught embezzling money meant for veteran charities.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My grandmother was straight up Cherokee but as a tall white man with a middle class upbringing I decided it would be a bit disingenuous to try to claim it.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I might be part Native American, my mom's family was built on the twin dynasties of drinking and screwing.

I also might be part Russian on my dad's side, for roughly the same reasons.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
My daughter looks white as all hell but I tell her to claim all the crap she has. It was funny in grade school when some school admin asked me about it till I showed her a picture of her mom and she went, WHAT? Oh, ok!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

My grandmother was straight up Cherokee but as a tall white man with a middle class upbringing I decided it would be a bit disingenuous to try to claim it.

It can be pretty handy/good to have. Especially if you ever have kids who are interested in the cultural/historical aspect. A good friend/coworker of mine is not Cherokee (he's very Irish-American and not in the typical bogus way), but his wife is Cherokee, and they both go to all the tribe meetings, stickball games, grounds preparation, etc. His son looks every bit a little Irish kid, but they got his official card.

In addition to being able to take his son to tribal events and so on, it means that they've received good treatment for a couple medical issues at the well-appointed Cherokee hospital when Tricare and local hospitals wouldn't help out.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I think my favorite part of being American is how multicultural this country is. And it breaks my heart that so many people try to suppress anything that isn’t “white culture”

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nullscan posted:

What tribe was she claiming? I'm like 1/32 Cherokee and the kids are 1/64th. The Cherokee track everyone's poo poo as long as you register with them at birth and your family signed the roles back in the day. Even get a cool little card. http://www.cherokee.org/Services/Tribal-Citizenship/Citizenship

She's claiming Delaware and Cherokee, I believe. She doesn't have any relatives on the Dawes rolls. That's not terribly unusual, though, it just forecloses definitive proof of membership.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Yeah, my dad, who still lives in Oklahoma, will usually go to the Indian Hospital over the VA because the wait time is way shorter. Plus if you stay in OK you get all kinds of Indian grants for University.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

She didn't put on an application for anything, she put it on some sort of diversity survey for an employer that had already hired her (Harvard Law).

edit: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/dec/01/facts-behind-elizabeth-warren-and-her-native-ameri/

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

psydude posted:

I can't imagine any grandma would be upset that her pasty white grandson took an interest in his roots, go for it

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

psydude posted:

Depends on context. If you started dressing in tribal clothes and demanding compensation for being a native American, that would be disingenuous nonsense. If you checked the box on a diversity questionnaire your workplace was passing around, that doesn't seem unreasonable.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My dad was like a quarter Cherokee. We tried to look into it back in the 90s and it went nowhere. I suppose I could look into it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Depends on context. If you started dressing in tribal clothes and demanding compensation for being a native American, that would be disingenuous nonsense. If you checked the box on a diversity questionnaire your workplace was passing around, that doesn't seem unreasonable.

But you see, she's a woman and women can't be smart, therefore SHE CHEATED and she's a SCAMMING LIAR RACIST (who took a job from a white man) and never EARNED A DIME IN HER LIFE. That's basically the argument, with the usual racism / anti-affirmative action argument tossed in there too. Or it's a case of TRUMP GOOD EVERYONE ELSE BAD.

It's way more likely the same poo poo my dad fed me, that my last name was changed by the Ellis Island officials when my great-grandparents (I think) got here. Turns out, it never really happened that way. Probably a similar deal for Warren too when it comes to family hearsay.

When I tell back the story, I always lead with "Well, the story of my name is probably bullshit, but I was told that... " since it's a drat good story.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Vasudus posted:

My dad was like a quarter Cherokee. We tried to look into it back in the 90s and it went nowhere. I suppose I could look into it.

It's worth looking into, at least so you know for sure. I was always told that I was part something, but it was on my dad's side and he went all enlisted.txt and bailed on my mom before I was born so I couldn't find out what. I finally did a dna test and there's like one drop of blood, just enough to make me look native but that's it. Apparently I have third or fourth cousins that are between a quarter and a half Native American but none of them seem to check their emails so I still have no idea what tribe. Even if that tribe doesn't use a blood quantum to determine membership, I wasn't raised in the culture and wouldn't claim to be anyways.

Funny thing is though I have more neanderthal variants than nearly everyone else that took the test. I think that's why I like poking things with sharp sticks.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The cheek swab test makes me very paranoid so I won't do it voluntarily. Then again, OPM already has my DNA on file.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

EBB posted:

The cheek swab test makes me very paranoid so I won't do it voluntarily. Then again, OPM already has my DNA on file.

I've followed people around for hours to collect discarded dna samples :tinfoil:

cigarettes and drink containers you sick fucks

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Smiling Jack posted:

I've followed people around for hours to collect discarded dna samples :tinfoil:

Why not just ask if they want a blowjob?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Attention.

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1015043964393742336

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/1015060341401800704

Things are going well.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Smiling Jack posted:

Why?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

FAUXTON posted:

Plenty of regular posters espouse that kind of dumbshit legalism though.

Not really. I don't think DR would've even done that (because the SC has already established that everyone qualifies for the same inalienable rights).

I suspect he doesn't realize that 9/11 is the only time Article 5 has been invoked, and it led to NATO forces deploying to the United loving States.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 6, 2018

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Everyone needs a hobby.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Suspects in violent crimes with probative dna evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

"He's I'm a cop you idiot!"

• Locked thread