Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yup, I bought a Mastery bridge and it's been great ever since. It drops in within 30 seconds and Lefty/Righty doesn't matter a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yup, I bought a Mastery bridge and it's been great ever since. It drops in within 30 seconds and Lefty/Righty doesn't matter a bit.
gently caress me, then. I'm sold. Next royalty check I'm getting one of those suckers.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

that remind me, moog might be moving production to china

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/02/625363659/moog-says-chinese-tariffs-may-force-a-move-overseas

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

so much salt on social media like "well moog are a bunch of commie sjws now, serves them right"

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Gorewar posted:

Was the city at least fun to be in?

Yeah once we powered through the gig and got the hell outta there it was cool. No more weird out of town shows for awhile though.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Imagine having to trace a problem on that. Lol

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/40359-A-very-RUDE-Facebook-page-about-Kemper-Let%92s-report-it/?pageNo=1

lol

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

is that a road king?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Muppets On PCP posted:

is that a road king?

triple recto

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

i've never seen so many people with no concept of irony before

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
oh no

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yeah there's a reason most amp people don't want to work on Mesas and it's that

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Shugojin posted:

What's up with all these baked maple fretboards suddenly? Is it because of the rosewood restrictions?

Baked maple has been a thing with aftermarket necks for years, but it's only recently that major manufacturers started embracing it. It's also called "roasted maple" from some manufacturers, but it's the same thing. Regardless of the name, baked maple is rad: super stable and doesn't require a finish.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 5, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Meanwhile here's the interior of a jcm800

no wonder the amp tech was able to give mine a thorough inspection in an afternoon and replace two old components on it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

Meanwhile here's the interior of a jcm800

no wonder the amp tech was able to give mine a thorough inspection in an afternoon and replace two old components on it.

That picture belongs in the GBS Blessed Images thread.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just imagining being the amp tech for a touring nu-metal band is making me laugh now.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
That Triple Recto board, wow. All that circuitry for what amounts to one flubby distortion channel. Funny enough, Rectos are said to be heavily inspired by the Soldano SLO, which has one of the cleanest, most minimalistic circuit board designs you’ll ever find in a high gain amp.

[quote="“Rugoberta Munchu”" post="“485814413”"]
oh no

[/quote]

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 5, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Just imagining being the amp tech for a touring nu-metal band is making me laugh now.

I'd just have three spare kempers/axe-fx heads, with all the presets and click track files on at least five different USB sticks

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

god rectos sound like complete poo poo

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I haven't played a recto in years and now want to play one.

I'd like to (eventually (as in next year)) get a decent two channel amp that isn't a 5150/6505/whatever but can't really think of any alternatives for what I play.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mark Five 25 dooo ittt

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I don't think I want to spend $1500, more like uhhh, $800

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Mesas are a loving pain in the neck to maintain, but I still love my little recto-verb for sounding so disgustingly badass. The one time I had a problem was with the leds not changing when I switched between channels and a clean-up fixed that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

That’s my amp range too

Tbh I’m probably grabbing a THR100 later this year and calling it done

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

dual recs go for like 8-900 used all the time

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

i have been owned

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

dual recs go for like 8-900 used all the time

5150s and 6505s go for like $500 near me lol

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Used Mesa Boogie Mark IV all day long. They go for around $1,200.

edit: Oops sorry, I misread that. You don’t want to spend $1,500. in that case, get a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL for around $750 or so. That’s a really great amp.

Make sure to get the DSL version, not the TSL version though. The TSL version has a small, lovely transformer. Those amps have no bass and fall apart at gig volumes. Think JCM 900’s. The JCM 2000 DSLs used transformers similar to what you would find in the JCM 800. Big and meaty. Aw yeah girl.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 6, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Get a Peavey VTM 120 and a Blackhawk Amps Ragnarok for the other channel:

https://blackhawkamplifiers.bigcartel.com/product/ragnarok-tube-preamp-pedal

Boom under or at $1500

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Boom under or at $1500

I can always just slap that thing in front of my current amp and call it a day.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

i have been owned

ive gotten into buying used pedals, recording them on one song and flipping them for what I bought them recently

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

I can always just slap that thing in front of my current amp and call it a day.

:hmmyes:

edit: Also, I have a Verellen Meatsmoke pre that is of the "looser" (e.g.: Matamp or Hiwatt) type of gain which is about the same price as the Blackhawk and could be a nice contrast to your tight gain toanz.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 5, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Other guitarist in my band has a dual recto. Before I joined I did audition tape things recording myself playing along to recent recordings and hot drat does the Mesa pack on Amplitube nail that stupid flubby glorious sound.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Boom under or at $1500

yeahhh I know i posted the other month about trying out a VTM but I just couldn't get it to record well at all, at least with a HM2 in the front. Seemed like the guts of the tone was in that super boxy range around 500Hz and the high end was fizzy in a bad and not cool way. Neat amps for $300 or whatever but considering 6505s go for the same money it's hard to recommend one

Seconding mesa hate though, I've never liked the flubby low end and at the same time shrill treble of rectos.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

That Triple Recto board, wow. All that circuitry for what amounts to one flubby distortion channel.

NonzeroCircle posted:

hot drat does the Mesa pack on Amplitube nail that stupid flubby glorious sound.

Concatenation posted:

Seconding mesa hate though, I've never liked the flubby low end and at the same time shrill treble of rectos.

gonna take a wild guess here that everyone saying this had the eq set like you would on a marshall or whatever

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You mean "eq and pre at Max, presence at 1oclock, master to as much as the room can handle" ???

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

gonna take a wild guess here that everyone saying this had the eq set like you would on a marshall or whatever

Nah, even eq'ing a Mesa how you're supposed to... bass 0-3 (out of 10), mid 4-6, treb 7-10, gain to taste, Rectos are still really weird to me.

I've always thought they sound/feel like bad oatmeal. Somehow both too sloppy and too dry/flaky/chalky at the same time. They can be shaped into really cool amps if you do a bunch of stuff around them like putting a tubescreamer in front to tighten them up by cutting bass sent to the preamp, and maybe putting an eq in the loop to smooth it out a bit, but a raw Recto is really a strange beast to play through.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 6, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've literally never had that problem with either my Mark IV, Recto-Verb head or 5:25 Express Plus. I mean, the Mark IV is kinda getting on years, but the only times it failed me, I literally just popped some tubes straight in and it worked. Are you doing something to the amps? :crossarms:

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

You all made something click re: mesachat... the local used shop had a Mark IV combo in need of a little external TLC (missing the front logo plate, dirty tolex) and likely extensive troubleshooting internally (broken reverb, REALLY loud popping on switching between channels, also didn't come with the footswitch and who knows why) that I ended up passing on because, while it sounded serviceable-to-great to my ears with a recent Mustang reissue, I went back to try it specifically with my sub-sonic and was supremely underwhelmed by the sound of that combination. I am sure some of that falls on the small overall size of the cabinet, but it really lost a lot of control with notes below Eb, and a lot of control with chords from F# down. Clean sounded great, but any dirt on it and it was just uninspiring.

That'll teach me to buy stupid baritone guitars.

Also still want a 5:25 head anyway.

e: they also had a really nice rectoverb combo that was super promising clean, but that amp's PO had the switch locked to whatever tube was in the power section, and the on-chassis channel switch had been removed and replaced with the knob for a variable power-soak... and it also didn't come with the footswitch, which at that point you needed to access channel two. What's with Marylanders and losing (or I guess not buying in the case of the Mark IV?) their footswitches?

nurrwick fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
Feeling very attacked right now with all of the recto hate. I get that it can really sound like poop, but when it's dialed in it's a monster!