Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Without the hat makes me think Kryten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

https://twitter.com/twittels/status/424430093025288192

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

:stare:

Somehow with the distraction of the green I never realized how large those fake chompers are. Must've been pretty tough to act through those.

I read somewhere originally he'd only wear the teeth in non-speaking shots but Jim managed to talk his way through them anyway.

I haven't seen The Mask in years, was it actually good or will my childhood nostalgia betray me?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Spalec posted:

I haven't seen The Mask in years, was it actually good or will my childhood nostalgia betray me?

If you still like goofy live-action Looney Tunes stuff like Gremlins 2 or Small Soldiers and can stand Jim Carrey’s shtick, you’ll probably still like it. I’ve only seen it as an adult and I liked it a lot.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Between The Mask and Pulp Fiction, 1994 was a... year of variety... for Peter Greene.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

This trailer was probably posted before, but I saw it before Hotel Artemis today and it only took like 15 seconds before I went "seriously?". And then it continued for two more minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WULUQs3IO8

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spalec posted:

I read somewhere originally he'd only wear the teeth in non-speaking shots but Jim managed to talk his way through them anyway.
He managed to act with his upper lip glued to his gumline (Firemarshall Bill), so I imagine he just Looney Tunes'd up up to compensate.

That he was intelligible is pretty cool.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Fart City posted:

Between The Mask and Pulp Fiction, 1994 was a... year of variety... for Peter Greene.

In 1995 he was in Under Siege 2 and Usual Suspects.

Then he apparently became a crackhead for the next two decades.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fart City posted:

And one helluva year for Jim Carrey. Ace Ventura, The Mask, and Dumb and Dumber all released in `94..

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lobok posted:

And one helluva year for Jim Carrey. Ace Ventura, The Mask, and Dumb and Dumber all released in `94..
Each of which got Saturday morning cartoons that all ran at the same time. At least The Mask and Ace Ventura did, because O can remember they had a crossover episode.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

Each of which got Saturday morning cartoons that all ran at the same time. At least The Mask and Ace Ventura did, because O can remember they had a crossover episode.

Men in Black had one at that time too, and it was really good

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

im convinced the poster who coincidentally thought mask videos were weird is actually neil's new account

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Alan Smithee posted:

im convinced the poster who coincidentally thought mask videos were weird is actually neil's new account

It's a very popular tweet my dude.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=url%3A1013979398884724737&src=typd

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

my joke was it was astroturfing

whatever

i honestly think it's weird they thought it was weird

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm guessing its a fetish thing.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

got any sevens posted:

I'm guessing its a fetish thing.

Closest thing the internet has to a free space on a bingo board, my man.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://deadline.com/2018/07/top-gun-maverick-miles-teller-goose-son-tom-cruise-1202421222/

oh who am I kidding this movie will make a billion dollars for scientology :negative:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Its just been announced at Anime Expo that Sunrise and Legendary Pictures are going to produce a live-action Gundam movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Legendary making a Gundam movie.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/418337-legendary-set-to-produce-live-action-gundam-film

Can't wait for all the arguing about politics (or G Gundam) this will lead to.

edit:
Lasse Halstrom and Joe Johnston will share a directing credit for Disney's The Nutcracker and The Four Realms, a rare occurance. Halstrom finished filming in January 2017 but Johnston directed the last December.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h..._source=twitter

It seems odd that Disney is not promoting this as heavily as its other blockbusters despite releasing it this year, despite looking as elaborate and effects-heavy as Cinderella or Beauty & The Beast. Maybe because it's not a remake of one its animations?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ktuvx9hrMw

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 6, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i mean the bar they have to clear is Ready Player One so

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Legendary Pictures was the studio that got bought by the Chinese, right? Nationalism aside, Gundam has been popular throughout Asia, so it makes sense for this to (finally) happen. Also, I think Legendary is distributed by Warner Brothers, who produced Ready Player One, so I'm guessing there was some behind the scenes stuff going on to get that cameo in.

Now let's see if this actually produces something and not another G-Saviour.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The MSJ posted:

Legendary making a Gundam movie.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/418337-legendary-set-to-produce-live-action-gundam-film

Can't wait for all the arguing about politics (or G Gundam) this will lead to.

I'm OK with this as long as adults are still the enemy.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

with any luck this movie will popularize pre assembled 'dams cuz man is it annoying having to tear them out o those runners and make them yourself

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

The MSJ posted:

Lasse Halstrom and Joe Johnston will share a directing credit for Disney's The Nutcracker and The Four Realms, a rare occurance. Halstrom finished filming in January 2017 but Johnston directed the last December.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h..._source=twitter

From Halstrom's statement it seems like a somewhat different situation from other recent examples of this, but has replacing directors become a lot more common lately or I have just not noticed before?

I mean, if you go back there's movies like Spartacus and Island of Dr. Moreau but those happened closer to the beginning of filming. With Bohemian Rhapsody, The Nutcracker, Solo, and Justice League it sounds as though the films were almost finished when other directors were brought in.

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 6, 2018

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
It kinda blows my mind conservative media has largely ignored the Purge movies. It's as explicitly anti right wing as a movie can possibly get. And this new one takes the explicit social commentary to 11.

I honesly thought the 3rd one was the best. This one doesn't do anything new but it does call out the NRA by name several times.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Thundercracker posted:

It kinda blows my mind conservative media has largely ignored the Purge movies. It's as explicitly anti right wing as a movie can possibly get. And this new one takes the explicit social commentary to 11.

I honesly thought the 3rd one was the best. This one doesn't do anything new but it does call out the NRA by name several times.

They're popular in that everyone knows about them but to get complained about by conservative fuckers you have to be a megahype movie like a Star Wars flick or Dark Knight Rises which drew the ire of conservatives rallied by Rush Limbaugh because the villain Bane was clearly named after Bain Capital.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alan Smithee posted:

with any luck this movie will popularize pre assembled 'dams cuz man is it annoying having to tear them out o those runners and make them yourself

I remember they were huge when Gundam Wing was on Toonami I had a bunch despite not ever watching the show because robots are cool and we didn't get Cartoon Network.

Also bring back Zoids because I want to embrace nostalgia.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
The purge movies are almost a fantasy to many conservatives if only it was a night where they could kill but couldnt be killed back, atleast based on the sheer amount of "I wish I could use *group I dont like* as target practice" posts in the conservative forward thread in dnd.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

I thought Johnston had retired? Still hoping he'll finally get his wish to do a Boba Fett movie.

Neo Rasa posted:

They're popular in that everyone knows about them but to get complained about by conservative fuckers you have to be a megahype movie like a Star Wars flick or Dark Knight Rises which drew the ire of conservatives rallied by Rush Limbaugh because the villain Bane was clearly named after Bain Capital.

Though after the movie came out, Limbaugh changed his tune and loved it because his interpretation was that Batman was supposed to be Romney and the villains were Occupy Wall Street.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Johnston said he is retiring after the next Narnia movie.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

The MSJ posted:

They'll probably retire Narnia as well since the last two books take the series from "metaphor where the lion is jesus" to outright "The Lion explicitly tells the cast he is the for-real Jesus and start sentencing people to christian hell after defeating muslim satan"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Was Tilda queen Hillary

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

The MSJ posted:

Are those still going? I thought they gave up on that like a decade ago.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Are those still going? I thought they gave up on that like a decade ago.

Pretty much, the third one was released back in 2010 and failed to make much of an impression on anyone, coming 27th at the domestic box office for the year and making less than Clash of the Titans and The Last Airbender but slightly more than Yogi Bear.

The first one back in 2005, however, was a huge hit and beat Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, War of the Worlds, King Kong and Batman Begins to get second place behind Revenge of the Sith and ever since the production companies got a taste of that sweet sweet cashola you can bet they'll keep chasing it. They know from experience that the franchise can be bigger than Harry Potter, Spielberg/Cruise, King Kong and superheroes if only they can get the mix juuuuust right so here we go for a 4th movie, except that 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe' is the only book in the series that most people remember and almost no one can even name any of the other books let alone give two shits about them so the response is pretty much guaranteed to be a giant :shrug: again.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 6, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macksy posted:

The purge movies are almost a fantasy to many conservatives if only it was a night where they could kill but couldnt be killed back, atleast based on the sheer amount of "I wish I could use *group I dont like* as target practice" posts in the conservative forward thread in dnd.

They've never actually seen the movies, which iirc aren't subtle about purge night being a thinly veiled excuse for the wealthy to murder the poor, and usually focus on protagonists turning the tables on the wealthy and powerful. I assume anyway, I haven't seen them either.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The election night movie practically spells out the rich uses it to kill poor people and liberal politicians they dislike and that's its crazy and bad

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Gundam movie better keep the weird names

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked Gundam Wing best when I was little. It's not as good as original Gundam, but for whatever reason it was the one that took off.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One of the producers of The Wolf Of Wall Street has been questioned by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Agency for 4 days straight. He is suspected of using tax money received through his mother and stepfather to fund the movie along with Dumb and Dumber To and buying a number of expensive properties in the US in a case also being investigated by the American Dpertment of Justice. His stepfather, the former Prime Minister of Malaysia, was recently arrested for corruption as well.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/07/06/riza-aziz-returns-for-4th-round-of-questioning-at-macc-hq/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gundams core theme is "War is a poo poo, pointless meat grinder" which is an easy, universal message.

The live action movie will be this: