Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I got Galaxy Brain, so now I can finally finish Mooncrash and that's that, I'll have done everything there is to do in Prey.

....oh.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

On the bright side, it's a good opportunity to play Dishonored 2.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Mooncrash is meant to be replayable, and as long as you set some self-imposed limits (on created time delays at the very least) it never stops being fun. This last run I've consistently failed to find the delay schematic, so I've beefed up the engineer real good and have her churn out a bunch of reverse-engineered time delays and those are it for that run. Drop em out near the entrance.

Now if they just cut out the volunteer / engineer tutorial in new games...

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Dishonored is a different kind of game. I found it easiest to replay Half-Life, tbh.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That does remind me I haven't actually played Death of the Outsider yet

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Drop em out near the entrance.

You have a shared stash, unless that's another self imposed challenge.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

I was thinking the exact same thing. D1 wasn't my jam, but I'm giving the sequel a try regardless.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

woodenchicken posted:

I was thinking the exact same thing. D1 wasn't my jam, but I'm giving the sequel a try regardless.
They polished the mechanics in D2. You can really get your smooth murder spree on.

Jerusalem posted:

That does remind me I haven't actually played Death of the Outsider yet
Same!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I enjoyed the first one, but I thought Dishonored 2 was so much better and at least a couple of the levels (A Crack in the Slab and The Clockwork Mansion) were just incredible.

Also just finished Mooncrash. Goddamn that was fun, I can't wait to see what Arkane does next.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The Dishonored games and Prey are easily the best games of the last few years. They are incredibly well designed and Arkane has basically a blank check from me now, I’m bound to be interested in whatever they’re making.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Im was still wary whether or not I should purchase Mooncrash but I enjoyed the campaign so might as well play more Prey.

Waiting for discounts on RE7 and TEW2 but that might take a while.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

WaltherFeng posted:

Im was still wary whether or not I should purchase Mooncrash but I enjoyed the campaign so might as well play more Prey.

If you're not a digital only guy I think TEW2 is $20 new at GameStop right now.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

WaltherFeng posted:

I totally got my 20 bucks worth out of it. I took it easy and my total playtime was around 25 hours.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

RichterIX posted:

If you're not a digital only guy I think TEW2 is $20 new at GameStop right now.

Yeah it seems that way. Thanks for the tip, I think it might be a good idea to come back for Mooncrash later because Prey was a pretty long game.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Played dishonored 1 and 2,m. No dlcs because well...
Art and game design is great!
My complaint with dishonored is the characters. Can’t get into em. I don’t love the hero’s and I don’t hate the villains, I don’t even feel ambiguous about the ambiguous ones. Prey was much better in this regard, for me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Prey was unusually fantastic at getting me to care about posthumous characters. The old doctor fighting dementia by creating memory-simulations in his room, Danielle and Amy's back and forth...

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Oh also at some point some free DLC went out and the security weapons now have a moon surface skin accessible from within the inventory menu

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

BBQ Dave posted:

Played dishonored 1 and 2,m. No dlcs because well...
Art and game design is great!
My complaint with dishonored is the characters. Can’t get into em. I don’t love the hero’s and I don’t hate the villains, I don’t even feel ambiguous about the ambiguous ones. Prey was much better in this regard, for me.

The DLC for the 1st Dishonored is very good and worth playing, IMO

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just got Prey from the Steam Sale and having a blast. As a scaredy cat I am fixing turrets and lugging them around with me wherever I go. IT WORKS OKAY

Question: Can I save crew members that get killed in front of me? I can't tell if these are scripted or not. I found two so far:
- A botany area I'm waiting for the doors to open he gets killed by a Mimic and 4 more pop out.
- A quarantined guy who was apparently mind controlled and his head got popped when I went into the room. I'm preeeeeetty sure this one can be saved.

Btw the emails about the Boltcaster have been so fun to read.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

You can use stun gun on humans.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Artelier posted:

Just got Prey from the Steam Sale and having a blast. As a scaredy cat I am fixing turrets and lugging them around with me wherever I go. IT WORKS OKAY

Question: Can I save crew members that get killed in front of me? I can't tell if these are scripted or not. I found two so far:
- A botany area I'm waiting for the doors to open he gets killed by a Mimic and 4 more pop out.
- A quarantined guy who was apparently mind controlled and his head got popped when I went into the room. I'm preeeeeetty sure this one can be saved.

Btw the emails about the Boltcaster have been so fun to read.

The first one is scripted. The second one can be saved by knocking him out with the stungun or hitting him with mind control before he explodes, like all mind-controlled crewmembers.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm a bit late on the Mooncrash tram train and loving it. :allears:

also I am going to start all my runs with engineer until and unless I need a different order for quintuple escape

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Oh also at some point some free DLC went out and the security weapons now have a moon surface skin accessible from within the inventory menu

That was there from launch. Seem to remember them talking about free skins for the characters to come though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

also I am going to start all my runs with engineer until and unless I need a different order for quintuple escape

Repair can clear so many paths for everyone that this seems like the way to go regardless. A full escape attempt only makes it more vital, since you absolutely have to repair the mimic portal in Pytheas Labs, and quite likely the MoonWorks mass driver's ground-floor lift too.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Really Pants posted:

Repair can clear so many paths for everyone that this seems like the way to go regardless. A full escape attempt only makes it more vital, since you absolutely have to repair the mimic portal in Pytheas Labs, and quite likely the MoonWorks mass driver's ground-floor lift too.

The lift is easily bypassed with a gloo gun - I agree with the engineer being the superior first choice for a run though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, you definitely don't need to repair that lift. Even having an Artax glide kit can get you over the jump.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's not strictly necessary but I've always found it to be a big help.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

The lift is easily bypassed with a gloo gun - I agree with the engineer being the superior first choice for a run though.

You don't even need that, just run up the stairs and glide over the gaps. Then on the way back down vault the railing, fall down and use the jetpack to land softly.

If the jetpack weren't available to all characters repairs and gloo would get a lot more important.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WELP just found a good reason why maybe the engineer shouldn't always go first.

It's possible for the mimic portal room's door to be unpowered, meaning the only one who can open it is the security chief with Leverage III. So it's not a complete waste of neuromods after all! Hooray!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
That's cos the power is down to the whole sector. You can solve that in the Crater command centre.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Power was on in the labs when I saw it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I would generally start full escape runs with Vijay, since he's the human equivalent of a Moonshark/Nightmare to the Typhon :getin:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I just found out that Phantoms respawn. Or maybe spawn randomly. Turned the corner before they started muttering to themselves. :tif:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Artelier posted:

So I just found out that Phantoms respawn. Or maybe spawn randomly. Turned the corner before they started muttering to themselves. :tif:

Have you figured out what they say yet? It's actually kind of cool.

it's any of the npc dialogue throughout the game, randomly chosen and distorted

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Can you get the Artax or chips off of dead main characters?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Bogart posted:

Yeah, you definitely don't need to repair that lift. Even having an Artax glide kit can get you over the jump.

You can fairly easily just jump/climb over the gaps anyway, nothing is required for that escape method beyond finding the objective items and getting into the room.

Jerusalem posted:

I would generally start full escape runs with Vijay, since he's the human equivalent of a Moonshark/Nightmare to the Typhon :getin:

The mimic portal hack requirement goes up with corruption level so you generally want to do that early on full escape runs. Perhaps the repair too, I always did engineer first so no idea

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Having a recipe for the pink hourglass is an odd decision.

I did the escape with all 5 people in a run so I just have the plot quests left to do. All of it was just running around at corruption level 1 because I could start every character with a huge pile of hourglasses and then print several more, so several characters were just a clear run to the end with no danger. I think they tried to balance it out by having corruption go up faster, but I think I'd rather just not have those speed increases and no hourglass recipe in the game. I basically haven't used the volunteer or the hacker at all besides running to an escape.

I was kind of surprised how little there was to the mimic gate as well. For being the most surreal escape I was expecting it to be different than just having to walk the engineer and the hacker into pytheas labs at some point, and then you go in and you're done.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Up to the end, that escalating danger is nice and tense, but for the final mission, getting out with ALL 5 survivors within 5 corruption stages, only relying on the hourglasses that drop (so, about 3 on average?), would be annoying as gently caress, and I would have quit after a couple of tries. It's just kind of not enough time imo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

woodenchicken posted:

Up to the end, that escalating danger is nice and tense, but for the final mission, getting out with ALL 5 survivors within 5 corruption stages, only relying on the hourglasses that drop (so, about 3 on average?), would be annoying as gently caress, and I would have quit after a couple of tries. It's just kind of not enough time imo.

I did my all 5 run before I found the plans for the hourglass and was too dumb to think about reverse-engineering it. It got to 4 corruption. It's plenty doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Escaping is honestly pretty quick and easy once you've done each path once. The only slow run is the engineer. Restore power, maybe tram service, fix the pod and portal, load up the mass driver with supplies and then every other run is just a beeline to your chosen escape route. If you concentrate on just escaping as quickly as possible rather than scouring for all the resources you can get, it goes plenty fast.