Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Don't worry, if you have enough different kinds of dangerous chemicals they'll be too busy reacting with each other to leave the facility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tunicate posted:

Don't worry, if you have enough different kinds of dangerous chemicals they'll be too busy reacting with each other to leave the facility

Ah yes, the "Royal Rumble" approach to chemical safety.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mycomancy posted:

Ah yes, the "Royal Rumble" approach to chemical safety.

3SS confinement is well-established in the industry

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

:perfect:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

This is good, and you should feel good for doing it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Are the CSB videos still being produced or was that another loss to the world that we have to blame the Republicans for?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Munin posted:

Are the CSB videos still being produced or was that another loss to the world that we have to blame the Republicans for?

They're still working for now. Here's their most recent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtWyBMwRt-A

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Hey, you're forgetting that the other side of phosphorus use in semiconductors is elemental arsenic :getin:

I don't think the fabs use P or As in elemental form. Phosphine and Arsine have many advantages, like being gaseous and pyrophoric. :supaburn:

e: This led me to James Marsh's original article about his test for arsenic, which had this to say about Arsine:

James Marsh posted:

...considerable caution should be used in smelling it...

Zopotantor has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Jul 6, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

They're still working for now. Here's their most recent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtWyBMwRt-A

Holy gently caress this channel is amazing :allears:. It's like Forensic Files but for natural disasters.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Zopotantor posted:

I don't think the fabs use P or As in elemental form. Phosphine and Arsine have many advantages, like being gaseous and pyrophoric. :supaburn:

e: This led me to James Marsh's original article about his test for arsenic, which had this to say about Arsine:

True, but by the time it hits the wafer it is pretty much elemental

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Semiconductor fabs use a bunch of highly dangerous chemicals for good reason, at least. The wafers of semiconductors you make have to be absurdly pure, like 99.999999%. This means that your reactants themselves have to be very pure, and the reaction has to give no side products that might contaminate the wafer. Highly reactive gases/liquids are at least easier to purify, simply because they will react with trace impurities - distill them afterwards and you have your pure precursors. Then once you heat them to 500C and feed them into the CVD chamber (chemical vapour deposition), they are reactive enough to not hang around and ruin things but immediately form a film. Heating pyrophoric gases does have it's hazards though, so there's research going into trying to make safer single source precursors.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

It'll solve A problem.

If that problem is that you have hands.

How long would it take a sufficiently large amount of HF to dissolve your hands? I know it's a comparatively weak acid, but I have no feeling for what "comparatively weak" is.

It's a moot point really, by the time it's dissolved your hands it'll have leached the calcium from your blood and stopped your heart. Which is at least an interesting way to die.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How long would it take a sufficiently large amount of HF to dissolve your hands?

Probably longer than it takes HF to wreck your colon if you shoot it up your rear end while high on cocaine.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Probably longer than it takes HF to wreck your colon if you shoot it up your rear end while high on cocaine.

Was he just on cocaine? That seems like an idea that is a little bit beyond cocaine’s wild influence.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Isn't one of FOOF's uses cleaning semiconductor dies?

On the suggestion of people in the OSHA/Danger Chem/Cold War trifecta, I've been reading Atomic Accidents by James Mahaffey. Can confirm it is :stare: and :stareheh:, and anybody who enjoys those threads should read it. I could copy and paste whole slabs of it, but right now I'm covering my eyes as they describe how the first people to experiment with radiation and radioactivity were - insanely reckless, and I wanna say they should have known better.

Nikola Telsa, for example, upon inventing a machine that emitted directed X-rays, decided a good expernment would be to crank the machine to max power, and then stick his head in the beam. After a short time he felt "a sensation of warmth on the top of his head, shooting pains, and a shock effect in his eyes"

There's also the sad case of Eban Byers, a rich socialite and sportsman who loved the real-poo poo radium water he drank "1500 bottles" of Radium water. His obituary in the Wall Street Journal remarked "The Radium Water Worked Fine Until His Jaw Fell Off".

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Isn't one of FOOF's uses cleaning semiconductor dies?

FOOF isn't. ClF3 is. Basically, ClF3 is a strong enough reactant that it can break up oxides. FOOF will add more oxygen, and make more oxides for you to clean up.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Icon Of Sin posted:

Was he just on cocaine? That seems like an idea that is a little bit beyond cocaine’s wild influence.

Only tested positive for cocaine. Stimulant psychosis is a hell of a drug though.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This feels like a very specific burn, and I'm very glad it's not.

What's the story?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This feels like a very specific burn, and I'm very glad it's not.

What's the story?

Fulminant acute colitis following a self-administered hydrofluoric acid enema.

quote:

Abstract
A 33-yr-old white male presented with bloody diarrhea, leukocytosis, and left lower quadrant direct and rebound tenderness after a self-administered concentrated hydrofluoric acid enema while intoxicated from intranasal cocaine administration. Intraoperative flexible sigmoidoscopy and a gastrografin enema revealed severe mucosal ulceration and edema in the rectum and sigmoid colon. Laparotomy revealed an ulcerated, necrotic, and purulent sigmoid colon and intraperitoneal pus. The patient underwent a limited sigmoid resection and a Hartman procedure. Five months later, the patient presented with a rectal stricture which was resected. This case demonstrates that a hydrofluoric acid enema can cause fulminant acute colitis and chronic colonic strictures.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Man on cocaine pumped HF acid up his rear end.

There was a whitepaper.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Haha there's a medical article, I hope it's not a whitepaper.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I didn't see that post when typing mine, had it mixed around.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

conclusion:

quote:

This case demonstrates that a hydrofluoric acid enema can cause fulminant acute colitis and chronic colonic strictures.

*nodding thoughtfully, taking notes*

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

conclusion:

*nodding thoughtfully, taking notes*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7Nz4bIwss

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
I know LN2 barely registers in the FOOF thread, but we've had a bit of a problem with an LN2 tanker here...

http://www.wfsb.com/story/38584968/nitrogen-tanker-that-caught-fire-in-clinton-overturns-on-route-32-in-franklin?autostart=true

First, it managed to catch fire on I-95 (how exactly that happened is left as an exercise to the reader) and started venting so violently that they had to close the freeway. Once the fire was out, they started towing it, and now it's tipped over and closed another road. I don't imagine the responding fire trucks were too thrilled.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Well, on the dangerous chemistry thread recommendation, I'm at that extreme grilled cheese place, got the pork belly bahn mi, I'll let you know when my jaw falls off.

In more FOOF news, passed a silane truck in the way here, pushed the accelerator a little harder when I saw what it was :stare:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Cichlidae posted:

I know LN2 barely registers in the FOOF thread, but we've had a bit of a problem with an LN2 tanker here...

http://www.wfsb.com/story/38584968/nitrogen-tanker-that-caught-fire-in-clinton-overturns-on-route-32-in-franklin?autostart=true

First, it managed to catch fire on I-95 (how exactly that happened is left as an exercise to the reader) and started venting so violently that they had to close the freeway. Once the fire was out, they started towing it, and now it's tipped over and closed another road. I don't imagine the responding fire trucks were too thrilled.

This is an episode of the Simpsons.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cichlidae posted:

First, it managed to catch fire on I-95 (how exactly that happened is left as an exercise to the reader) and started venting so violently that they had to close the freeway.

Isn't that, like, the ultimate case of a self-solving problem? Exacuate the area and waot until the tank pops, thus removing two side of the fire triangle. :v: (Probably not for various reasons, but a boy can dream.)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Update:

:drat: that was really good

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I ran the numbers on using silane in a gas mixture for radiation detectors that mimics the response to radiation that would be experienced by semiconductors. It was more of a thought experiment because obviously semiconductor-based radiation detectors do a better job of measuring that.

The closest I got was a mixture of silane and carbon dioxide. It's probably best that I didn't ask the gas company to mix me up a cylinder of that if it's been evaluated as rocket fuel :v:

if I was serious about actually using that gas mix I would have done a safety analysis on it first though, because silane is not a typical gas we use. a lot of radiation detector gas mixtures are flammable, but we don't exactly mix them in with oxygen gas though

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
I looks really good.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Update:

Huzzah!

Maybe I'll drive over for dinner tomorrow. That does look drat good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Update:

Posted banme.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Midjack posted:

Posted banme.

10/10

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Isn't that, like, the ultimate case of a self-solving problem? Exacuate the area and waot until the tank pops, thus removing two side of the fire triangle. :v: (Probably not for various reasons, but a boy can dream.)

'Exacuate' ? I like it. Make sure everyone is dead so no further casualties possible.

It satisfies the accountant in me.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It says something about the knowledge I've gained from this thread that, despite my not having taken a chemistry class since high school, the phrase "tetramethyl ammonium hydroxide" is loving terrifying.

Even without looking it up.

I looked it up anyway and, joy, it's an acetylcholine receptor agonist. That's a fun way to die.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

Can't be that bad if it's somewhere in CT that I had to look up because I didn't know where it is.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Midjack posted:

Posted banme.

:nfpa:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Holy God-Emperor, all my smilies up until this very moment have been a lie...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Schadenboner posted:

Holy God-Emperor

I'm detecting a theme here...