Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah, pretty much. I guarantee that a whole bunch of the stereotypical whitest motherfuckers around are going 'well, it isn't diversity if it doesn't have white dudes too!' and submitting to it on that basis, which is my main irritation with the term beyond a semantic quibble. It's going to self-select the applicants into those it's intended for and their exact opposites and make hiring more annoying for 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Who triggers the trigger men? Turns out it’s everyone and everything that doesn’t conform to their biases. They are not worth taking into consideration when making a product because they are unwilling to accept anything but what they already have five hundred times over on their shelves.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah, there are times where you want to hold back and avoid picking a fight with the Toxic Boy Krew, but a call for authors is absolutely not one of those times.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Apparently Matt McF got nominated for an ennie for writing.

In case you needed any more proof that the ennies are garbage.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Kurieg posted:

Hey, Zak did too! 6 times, in fact! Good job, Gencon, ya did it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Kurieg posted:

At least it's for some Chill 3E splatbook called "Monsters" rather than just Beast. But it's still BHM. (Also his name is right next to Zak's for some LotFP module, so :barf:)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I used to have a much higher opinion of his writing ability...
Then he decided that the Talassi were a good idea.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What is even the bar to clear to get a nomination? I can't imagine it takes all that much.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

IIRC it involved ENWorld.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Leperflesh posted:

What is even the bar to clear to get a nomination? I can't imagine it takes all that much.

Isn't it literally a popularity contest?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Isn't it literally a popularity contest?

The nomination step is, yeah. There are actual 'judges' for the awards part (which is basically an excuse for high ranking ENworld members to scam free product).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

The nomination step is, yeah. There are actual 'judges' for the awards part (which is basically an excuse for high ranking ENworld members to scam free product).
To expand on this, I believe that all product has to be in physical form if possible. So there was one year in which a judge backed out halfway through, but when they were asked to return hundreds of dollars worth of free stuff they basically replied "nah, you can't make me". It was real scummy and a few publishers have since told them to gently caress off.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

NGDBSS posted:

To expand on this, I believe that all product has to be in physical form if possible. So there was one year in which a judge backed out halfway through, but when they were asked to return hundreds of dollars worth of free stuff they basically replied "nah, you can't make me". It was real scummy and a few publishers have since told them to gently caress off.

In particular I recall that Privateer Press got screwed over in that particular fashion at one point to the tune of a bunch of miniatures, some of which may have actually wound up getting flipped on eBay.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Leperflesh posted:

The shortlists are chosen by the judges (from all the products that are submitted to them by publishers).

1. Is your game D&D or D&D-derived? If yes, you'll probably get on a shortlist.
2. Does your game have Cthulhu in it? If yes, it might get on a shortlist.
3. Is your game a runaway success that cannot be ignored? If yes, you have a chance of getting on a shortlist.

Then anyone with the time and inclination can vote to pick their favourite products from the shortlists.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 5, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

NGDBSS posted:

I was pretty sure the physical product restrictions got loosened?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I was pretty sure the physical product restrictions got loosened?

That may have happened after Evil Hat got screwed shipping a ton of stuff to a judge overseas, who then dropped out and kept the books.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

The indie comics analogy works well here. A lot of smaller creators feel fortunate to break even on table fees and gas after a two-day convention.

In comics at least, isn't a fair chunk of the industry turning to stuff like Patreon as an additional revenue stream?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

potatocubed posted:

The shortlists are chosen by the judges (from all the products that are submitted to them by publishers).

1. Is your game D&D or D&D-derived? If yes, you'll probably get on a shortlist.
2. Does your game have Cthulhu in it? If yes, it might get on a shortlist.
3. Is your game a runaway success that cannot be ignored? If yes, you have a chance of getting on a shortlist.

Then anyone with the time and inclination can vote to pick their favourite products from the shortlists.

In addition to this, last year there was a dedicated OSR judge on panel that helped lobby for OSR stuff, which was a big factor in how Blood in the Chocolate became an Ennie-winner. They probably still do. It's a system that has a pretty easy exploit that nobody really cared about before because the Ennies were just "best d20 thing" for most of their lifetime.

e- Yeah, the same judge is on the 2018 list. Here's Raggi bragging about him last year:

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 6, 2018

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Apparently one of the Ennie judges this year got kicked out for corruption. I don’t know any details but I’m not surprised.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Meinberg posted:

Apparently one of the Ennie judges this year got kicked out for corruption. I don’t know any details but I’m not surprised.

Corruption? As opposed to what lol.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Hah eleven nods for Starfinder. Good times.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

theironjef posted:

Hah eleven nods for Starfinder. Good times.

Extremely good is the nomination for the Starfinder free rpg day release that wasn't even a playable product but just a few pages from their monster manual.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

kingcom posted:

Extremely good is the nomination for the Starfinder free rpg day release that wasn't even a playable product but just a few pages from their monster manual.
Well yeah, it's nothing earthshaking but it'll still go for a few bucks on eBay.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

To expand on this, I believe that all product has to be in physical form if possible

Not any more. I thought that was the case when I submitted Breakfast Cult last year, but I was told that "publisher's choice" has been policy since at least 2014 and that you can always submit electronically if you prefer.

ZweihanderRPG
Jul 6, 2018

PST posted:

Jonny Hodgson's leaving Cubicle 7 as of September. Given his art direction and overall management on The One Ring really defined the look and feel, not to mention his involvement in getting Adventures of Middle Earth to happen, I think this is a big loss for C7, and one they'll struggle to replace.

With WFRP sales being huge, they've got a nice cushion there, though it's decidedly late and based on that and where it seems to be at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised not to see any supplements for it out until next year (in hardback at least).

On the plus side he now seems to have a very nice patreon making low fantasy maps: https://www.patreon.com/jonhodgsonmaps

Where did you hear that Jon was leaving? I'm a patreon of his, and didn't see any notice.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Liquid Communism posted:

In comics at least, isn't a fair chunk of the industry turning to stuff like Patreon as an additional revenue stream?

This is true. Patreon content covers a lot of ground from monthly phone wallpapers to unique original art, exclusive comics, and tutorials.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

kingcom posted:

To be fair, it was a free RPG day product, so it fits the category. And it had one monster entry that wasn't in the bestiary, I suppose: the space pirate.

Starfinder getting nominated for a bunch of stuff is predictable, I suppose, there just weren't that many big releases last year, were there? Still, even in the supplementary area, it feels like lines like 7th Sea, Unknown Armies, or anything from Evil Hat or Pelgrane got completely ignored. Maybe they didn't even bother submitting,

Any idea if all the regressive guys winning awards has had a chilling effect on companies submitting in general? I can definitely see some companies willing to leave the Ennies behind just based on how ugly it's gotten, but I don't know if anything official's been said.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I mean, do the Ennies have any value? Not asking as a slam on them (well, not just a slam), but pretty much the only context I ever see them referenced in places talking about RPGs its either:

1. Bullshit about the awards trying to scam free stuff, which I guess they stopped but as this thread shows is still often thought of
2. Its a d20 award....a decade after the d20 boom sputtered out. Again, may not be wholly true, but seems to be the stereotype
3. OSR grogs try to weasel in nominations, probably since most of them have been banned from nearly everywhere else they might promote their products into the "RPG mainstream"

So if you're not trying to give away your product, peddle something pathfinder, or try to still get noticed in the industry despite being a shitweasel, is there any point in submitting? Does an Ennie award actually translate into more sales, and/or more sales than sticking any other random bullshit "this won an award" sticker on the front of the book?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

This is true. Patreon content covers a lot of ground from monthly phone wallpapers to unique original art, exclusive comics, and tutorials.

Yeah. Even a few of the more well known webcomics guys are pulling in several thousand bucks a month for doing them via Patreon.

ZweihanderRPG
Jul 6, 2018

Desiden posted:

I mean, do the Ennies have any value? Not asking as a slam on them (well, not just a slam), but pretty much the only context I ever see them referenced in places talking about RPGs its either:

1. Bullshit about the awards trying to scam free stuff, which I guess they stopped but as this thread shows is still often thought of
2. Its a d20 award....a decade after the d20 boom sputtered out. Again, may not be wholly true, but seems to be the stereotype
3. OSR grogs try to weasel in nominations, probably since most of them have been banned from nearly everywhere else they might promote their products into the "RPG mainstream"

So if you're not trying to give away your product, peddle something pathfinder, or try to still get noticed in the industry despite being a shitweasel, is there any point in submitting? Does an Ennie award actually translate into more sales, and/or more sales than sticking any other random bullshit "this won an award" sticker on the front of the book?

This is the first time I've ever been nominated for an ENnie (two nominations for Best Game and Product of the Year w/#ZweihanderRPG). However, it has begun to raise my sales profile. Sales on DriveThruRPG have been sorta nuts since the announcement.

James Raggi and others have said nominations and awards promote an uptick to sales.

-d.fx

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I haven't put a lot of stock in the Ennies, mainly because at no point do they say _why_ games are nominated. Yeah, I know it's a popularity contest, but people act like it's the Emmies of RPGs. But without the context of _why_ these games are head and shoulders above the rest the award is meaningless.

And I don't just mean in terms of Starfinger or whatever stupid retroclone got twelve nods this year. Even with game I like, I'd appreciate some discussion of the ways that this book here is one of the top five of the year.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

ZweihanderRPG posted:

This is the first time I've ever been nominated for an ENnie (two nominations for Best Game and Product of the Year w/#ZweihanderRPG). However, it has begun to raise my sales profile. Sales on DriveThruRPG have been sorta nuts since the announcement.

James Raggi and others have said nominations and awards promote an uptick to sales.

-d.fx

You realize this forum isn't twitter, right?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah did you actually put a hashtag in your game’s name, and if so, what the gently caress

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Desiden posted:

I'd say that the Ennies have value to creators in general, it's just that they're so corrupt and circlejerky it's really only a few people who actually do benefit independent of the procedural d20 vortex that it has become.

Also, you know, they give awards to people who they really should not be signal boosting.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah. Even a few of the more well known webcomics guys are pulling in several thousand bucks a month for doing them via Patreon.

Yup, Patreon is a more reliable revenue stream than advertisements and also exists as a means of interaction that has largely replaced Forums. Which is why the whole thing with the banks cutting down on "Smut" has hurt several of these creators tangentially because occasionally they post cheesecake or what have you.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah did you actually put a hashtag in your game’s name, and if so, what the gently caress
This is a guy so devoted to shilling their retroclone that they reflexively add hashtags to its name, and furthermore take it as their username.

Wasn't he banned from RPGnet because he wouldn't stop with the incessant marketing?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

No, no, no, we are civilized savages and therefore it behooves us to make the offer.

So okay, rando, tell us why Hashtag Zweihander Are Pee Gee is good and worthwhile and unique, and why it being in the running for an Ennie isn't a badge of horrible shame, using specific references to setting and mechanics.

Or is it just a clone of a game I already own?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You registered an account just today to shill your product because we were talking negatively about an award you were nominated for? How exactly did you see this going?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
He did answer the person's question at least, presumably honestly

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

This is a guy so devoted to shilling their retroclone that they reflexively add hashtags to its name, and furthermore take it as their username.

Wasn't he banned from RPGnet because he wouldn't stop with the incessant marketing?

And a bunch of other places. He's so annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Was he the guy who threatened to sue Purple for giving him a bad review, or was that a different retroclone?