Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
send me a pm the day before to remind me tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

BUSH 2112 posted:

i was listening to like radiolab or something on npr and apparently your brain is actually still doing all of it's normal brain-things when you're under, it's just that the different parts of your brain can't communicate with each other

tbh i don't know if that makes it more or less freaky but it was interesting. like you're still actually feeling all of that poo poo, but since your nerves can't tell your brain "hey this loving hurts" you just don't know it at all

brains are cool as gently caress and also kind of terrifying in and of themselves

i took laughing gas one time for a minor oral surgery. I distinctly remember seeing images that reminded me of specific graphic distortions, like when you lagged out on a counterstrike server and everything kind of blended into itself. I remember having clear thoughts about death and dying — like, philosophically. I was chilled out, no big deal.

my brother got the same thing for a similar procedure. He describes remembering the exact same things — about death and the counterstrike thing. Apparently he screamed and resisted the doctors the whole time :science: the doctors told him to report that he shouldn't take laughing gas in the future

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

quadrophrenic posted:

general anasthesia loving rules

time passes but you don't have to be awake to experience, how does that not own

i woke up last year during surgery lol it sucked p bad

benadryl and dilaudid and then they told me that they had to push almost a quadruple dose of propofol and versed to get me back down

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

kaleedity posted:

i took laughing gas one time for a minor oral surgery. I distinctly remember seeing images that reminded me of specific graphic distortions, like when you lagged out on a counterstrike server and everything kind of blended into itself. I remember having clear thoughts about death and dying like, philosophically. I was chilled out, no big deal.

my brother got the same thing for a similar procedure. He describes remembering the exact same things about death and the counterstrike thing. Apparently he screamed and resisted the doctors the whole time :science: the doctors told him to report that he shouldn't take laughing gas in the future

brain lagging balls like a linear mipmap or whaever.. thats cool

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

tacodaemon posted:

apparently i woke up during surgery once and started screaming in horror but they got me back under real quick and i have no memory of it

the one thing that freaks me out about anesthesia is that i know that there's a one-in-a-hundred-million chance that i'll be incapacitated but not fully under and experience the whole goddamn thing

then again i guess after you go through something like that it would probably be difficult to be bothered by almost any other kind of pain

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

goddammit now i'm in the ASL music video hole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUT7VLw18hI
"All Of Me" ASL Music Video - Starring Gabriel Silva, Feat. Joey Antonio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2FOOLtheRI
BTS(방탄소년단) - DNA (ASL Cover)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUlbWzGLKF4
Backseat Freestyle by Kendrick Lamar ASL Music Video

(in hindsight the ASL for "dick get big" should have been obvious)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
last time i got put under i woke up and took a bunch of gross pics of my mutilated body and texted thyem to ppl with texr like LOL or "wow.. fked up haha"

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

smythe wields more power here than the potus. makes u think.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

someone upgrade smythe to platinum so he can receive messages

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
More work?

Work work

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Me not that kind of poster

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i had anesthesia when i got my wisdom teeth extracted and i remember waking up for a bit and hurting like hell then they saw i was awake and fiddled with the thing and i went back under

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Smythe posted:

brain lagging balls like a linear mipmap or whaever.. thats cool

it really felt like it

i thought I was silly but my brother described the exact same thing without any prompt

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog
I had 5 pins removed from my hand today and gently caress that I'm glad they knocked me out

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Is it bad that the president had a nazi rally for 90 minutes straight and we're purging immigrants from our military

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
the amnesia part of some anesthesia always bothers me. the idea of losing part of your memory. luckily i've never had surgery and the hospital keeps calling me a "financial risk" and to "please stop bleeding on our floors" so i'm good

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Roosevelt posted:

smythe wields more power here than the potus. makes u think.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nichael posted:

Is it bad that the president had a nazi rally for 90 minutes straight and we're purging immigrants from our military

:thunk:

....uh

:thunk::thunk:

yes?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
all i remember is suddenly realizing that i had a giant painful tube rammed down my throat and tried to pull it out

hehehehe

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i woke up last year during surgery lol it sucked p bad

benadryl and dilaudid and then they told me that they had to push almost a quadruple dose of propofol and versed to get me back down

i woke up during a colonoscopy and i too screamed until they could drug me more

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

DryGoods posted:

the amnesia part of some anesthesia always bothers me. the idea of losing part of your memory. luckily i've never had surgery and the hospital keeps calling me a "financial risk" and to "please stop bleeding on our floors" so i'm good

you lose parts of your memory literally constantly because your brain doesnt consider most of what you do worth remembering

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Look if you call them Nazis they don't listen to you and you alienate them.

Rather put your opinions in to song to get them ebthousiastic

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nichael posted:

nah, seems fine.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

all these anecdotes are making me feel super great and thrilled about future surgical procedures considering I'm pale and blue-eyed which apparently means I have a high tolerance for anesthesia

though tbh the pain never bothered me it was always the loss of consciousness with the chance of not ever getting it back

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

last time i had general anaesthesia it was fine and i didn't even wake up nauseous, but i had bad post-op depression for a while after and it really sucked :smith:

so hey if you gotta go under, make sure you're aware of the possibility of it and have a plan for how you're gonna deal with it if it happens (e.g. someone to check in with you every so often, numbers for therapists)

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Smythe posted:

send me a pm the day before to remind me tho.

i wont forget

never

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Nichael posted:

Its not like its the first or last one

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
hmm
https://twitter.com/willripleyCNN/status/1015095590009614337

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin
last time i went under general im pretty sure i ripped a huge fart when the nurses put me back into the boring bed. coulda been a dream but i choose to believe

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Zokari posted:

you lose parts of your memory literally constantly because your brain doesnt consider most of what you do worth remembering

lmao, "most"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

trump

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

sloppo posted:

last time i went under general im pretty sure i ripped a huge fart when the nurses put me back into the boring bed. coulda been a dream but i choose to believe

if you belive... then it is true... incredibl e

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Smythe posted:

last time i got put under i woke up and took a bunch of gross pics of my mutilated body and texted thyem to ppl with texr like LOL or "wow.. fked up haha"

after my last surgery I apparently wouldn’t stop trying to hold the nurse’s hand whenever she came to check my IV. Still very mortified ‘bout it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Nichael posted:

THE ONLY CURE, THE SALVATION, THE SALVE, THE CLEANSING FIRE THAT WAS NEED TO PULL US FROM THE BRINK! FROM THE BURNINGM, RAGING INFERNO THEREUPON PRECIPICE WE STAND IS RIGHTEOUS INTERVENTION! NO MORE SHALL THESE VILE DEMONS PLUNDER OUR LAND AND PULL OUR FAMILIES - MOTHER FROM FATHER AND CHILD TO KIN - N0 MORE! THERE IS ONLY ONE REDRESS COMRADES, AH, YOU MAY WONDER - OF WHAT CONCOCTION DO YOU SPEAK MINE PROPHET? SEEK CLARITY WITHIN - YES... YOU KNOW IT OT BE TRUE! THE IMMEDIATE, UNRELENTING, TOTAL EXTERMINATION OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY AND ALL OF ITS CORRUPTED ADHERENTS! LAY THEM LOW WITH BLOWS OF THE MIND, THE BODY, AND SPIRIT. NEVER AGAIN SHALL THESE SICKLY SPECTERS OF PESTILLENCE RAZE OUR VERDANT FIELDS

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Gnossiennes posted:

last time i had general anaesthesia it was fine and i didn't even wake up nauseous, but i had bad post-op depression for a while after and it really sucked :smith:

so hey if you gotta go under, make sure you're aware of the possibility of it and have a plan for how you're gonna deal with it if it happens (e.g. someone to check in with you every so often, numbers for therapists)

yeah make sure you buy a bunch of weed beforehand

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

all i remember is suddenly realizing that i had a giant painful tube rammed down my throat and tried to pull it out

hehehehe

Could be worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anesthesia_awareness

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

SKULL.GIF posted:

all these anecdotes are making me feel super great and thrilled about future surgical procedures considering I'm pale and blue-eyed which apparently means I have a high tolerance for anesthesia

though tbh the pain never bothered me it was always the loss of consciousness with the chance of not ever getting it back

I had surgery once and it went perfectly fine.

Cause this is a boring story I didn't post it. Like all the other stories where stuff went as planned

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Zokari posted:

i always thought that was interesting. people think your brain is recording life like a camera with frame after frame in a big jello mold but it's so much more fluid. just a few imp bits and it's all simulated when you recall it. it's a daydream. you can't trust any memory

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Smythe posted:

THE ONLY CURE, THE SALVATION, THE SALVE, THE CLEANSING FIRE THAT WAS NEED TO PULL US FROM THE BRINK! FROM THE BURNINGM, RAGING INFERNO THEREUPON PRECIPICE WE STAND IS RIGHTEOUS INTERVENTION! NO MORE SHALL THESE VILE DEMONS PLUNDER OUR LAND AND PULL OUR FAMILIES - MOTHER FROM FATHER AND CHILD TO KIN - N0 MORE! THERE IS ONLY ONE REDRESS COMRADES, AH, YOU MAY WONDER - OF WHAT CONCOCTION DO YOU SPEAK MINE PROPHET? SEEK CLARITY WITHIN - YES... YOU KNOW IT OT BE TRUE! THE IMMEDIATE, UNRELENTING, TOTAL EXTERMINATION OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY AND ALL OF ITS CORRUPTED ADHERENTS! LAY THEM LOW WITH BLOWS OF THE MIND, THE BODY, AND SPIRIT. NEVER AGAIN SHALL THESE SICKLY SPECTERS OF PESTILLENCE RAZE OUR VERDANT FIELDS

is
this
good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

the better question is how much do you drink since alcohol tolerance is related to tolerating most of what they use

also benedryl + dilauded is truly Ultimate Pleasure Drug. it’s the highest you can possibly be, it owns

• Locked thread