Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Caught 2 new species today! My little brother came for a visit before he starts up his life as a doctor tomorrow so we went out to the bay for a little fishing this morning. I caught a few spotties, a little halibut, and a mackerel. The mackerel was pretty freaking gross, he left scales and slime all over me. The halibut was adorable! I really wanted to catch one today, so I'm glad I did. I changed from the new penny grub to a white paddle tail because I know the halibut eat white. Good times! Love fishing with my brother.

My halibut:

The mackerel:

My brother with his spotty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Caught 2 new species today! My little brother came for a visit before he starts up his life as a doctor tomorrow so we went out to the bay for a little fishing this morning. I caught a few spotties, a little halibut, and a mackerel. The mackerel was pretty freaking gross, he left scales and slime all over me. The halibut was adorable! I really wanted to catch one today, so I'm glad I did. I changed from the new penny grub to a white paddle tail because I know the halibut eat white. Good times! Love fishing with my brother.

My halibut:

The mackerel:

My brother with his spotty:

:neckbeard:

I'm glad that you're enjoying fishing saltwater so much! That little California halibut is adorable. Tell your brother that he's on the hook for a boat after that doctor money rolls in.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Nice catches Joe! Just killing it.

I’ve been getting the evil eyes from the wife about fishing, so I only slid out yesterday for a quick boat run.

I pulled in the only three fish during the heat. My buddy driving the boat was less than pleased. The highlight was when he said, “holy poo poo, she’s a big one! Get the net!” and it turned out to be a 2foot section of a random rubber inter tube. His disappointment was priceless.

Some nice 16-17” eaters. The largest of them put on a little show and pulled some line when coming up to the boat. Thought he was a touch bigger.

Also inherited a second kayak. This one has been rated as “way less lovely” when compared to my first one, so off for a quick buoyancy check the in back yard.

It handles a lot better despite being only an 8 footer instead of the previous 10feet. I decided I don’t really need an assload of storage this time, since I never utilized it in my previous river runs. I just use a small Lowpro camera bag for my tackle, a stringer for if I ever catch anything (lol), and a soft bag of emergency stuffs.

Mounted up the rod holder.

Also remembered to stick the long end of the bolts on the outside of the kayak this time :sweatdrop:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Double posting like a demon. I forgot to say how much I loved your review gay pinic. :neckbeard:

The fishing kayak is now a catching kayak. :clint:

Pulling him in on the 4’ ultralight was a ton of fun. I’m hooked now

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:hellyeah: You guys are killing it! I appreciate being able to fish vicariously through y'all since I won't be able to touch a fishing rod for another couple of weeks. Ain't fish in the salt mines of Salzburg I'm afraid.

I took a pic of the logo from the official East German angling society. It would be appropriate for this thread if someone photoshopped a joint and dick spoon in its mouth. Hopefully I can figure out how to post it from my phone.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Thanks dudes! It has definitely been a very successful couple of weeks for me. I think the key here is that I haven't gone to Otay, lol. I'm enjoying the mystery factor of fishing in the salt, you never know what you'll catch. I just don't like the toll it takes on your gear. It took me a while to get to the point where I could stop worrying about screwing up my rod/reel, but I just spray it all down when I get home and hope for the best. My hooks get rusty super fast, too. Maybe it's just these Owner hooks, but mere hours after fishing there will be traces of rust.

Tell me more about these salt mines. I mean, I googled it, so I know it's a place where they mine salt but what are you going to be doing there?

Sockington posted:

Pulling him in on the 4’ ultralight was a ton of fun. I’m hooked now

Yeah dude! EVERYTHING is fun on an ultra light. I bet it was quite the harrowing battle with a 4 foot rod, lol. I used a little 4.5 footer when I was up in the Sierras a few weeks ago for my camping trip. It was a big departure from my usual 7 foot setup, but it was nice not having to worry about hitting trees/bushes during your cast.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I was obsessed with just bass fishing for awhile but then I realized fishing is like dating, you really want to go for variety and not size.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I was obsessed with just bass fishing for awhile but then I realized fishing is like dating, you really want to go for variety and not size.

lol, I didn't catch the joke at first. Hilarious.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Jack https://imgur.com/a/SCCLF6E

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Caught a nice healthy largemouth in the river bed just before the Tempe town Lake. It seems like a nice spot that's not heavily pressure because most people just go to the lake.

I can't wait to go back.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Paddled about 5km against the current tonight, but I at least had something to show!

Besides the four gobies I caught, managed to get a nice yellow perch and walleye.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Tell me more about these salt mines. I mean, I googled it, so I know it's a place where they mine salt but what are you going to be doing there?

Nothing important, just checking it out. The mines have been in operation for hundreds of years and were the source of unlimited wealth for some extremely lovely Catholic archbishops in the papal state of Salzburg. I'm a huge nerd for stuff like that.

Speaking of salt, though, you're dead-on that it can wreck your gear. I would definitely avoid using expensive freshwater reels if you can help it. Anything that goes in saltwater needs to be rinsed well, as you say. Some people soak their reels in a bucket of fresh water after use.

Sockington posted:

Paddled about 5km against the current tonight, but I at least had something to show!

Besides the four gobies I caught, managed to get a nice yellow perch and walleye.

:coolfish:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Some people soak their reels in a bucket of fresh water after use.

Please don't do this unless your reel is waterproof.

A quick rinse under a shower head is all it needs, followed by a squirt of Inox/WD40/whatever. A high pressure jet of water will likely just drive the salt and poo poo deeper into the reel.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Woke up at 4am to get on the water and try and get some fish, and didn't land anything. Despite the full moon the bite was worse than a week ago in the same place with the same conditions. Hooked up on a few small-ish trout early on, the closest I got to a picture was when a ~12 inch trout shook off the hook right when I lifted it out of the water (which is kinda convenient when you're doing catch & release or it's an undersized fish). Several of them didn't fully hit the lure until it was almost back to the kayak, which was weird and somewhat annoying. On the upside, it was cool being on the water before the sunrise, I could see distant lightning strikes over the Gulf/beaches and everything was so still. Another upside: I also found access to the underside of a bridge that will probably maybe hopefully hold pompano (which are loving delicious), and I'll be able to bring my dog with me!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Please don't do this unless your reel is waterproof.

A quick rinse under a shower head is all it needs, followed by a squirt of Inox/WD40/whatever. A high pressure jet of water will likely just drive the salt and poo poo deeper into the reel.

Thank you for setting us straight! The amount of bad fishing advice on the internet is immeasurable.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I don't know if I ever posted this pic, but I saw it just now when I was looking for something and thought I'd share because it cracked me up. It's pretty funny throwing the frog near a frog and watching them come after it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

joem83 posted:

I don't know if I ever posted this pic, but I saw it just now when I was looking for something and thought I'd share because it cracked me up. It's pretty funny throwing the frog near a frog and watching them come after it.

Thats happened to me before. really weedy bay, tossed a top water frog in that poo poo and a TON of frogs started coming for it. I figure they were either going to fight the frog, or gently caress it.
I also figured, that if they were just wantonly hopping about, without caution, there were probably no fish in that bay.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Wow, what a beautiful fishing spot

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Hey guys, I just lost my uncle who taught me everything I know about fishing and am super down I've lost my best fishing buddy. Please post your most outrageous fish stories or pictures, fictional or no.

Edit: Thanks man. Sick catch, it seems like the really big ones always have some sort of complication with the line to make it harder. Glad you landed it!

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 5, 2018

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

Wow, what a beautiful fishing spot

That was after we got a ton of rain last year, it created a bunch of pools where there were previously trails and what not. Now it's probably down 20ish feet since then. My last outing to Otay I was walking around on some muddy flats that I'd never even seen before because weeks prior they were completely submerged. It's kinda nice though, that lake is absolutely clogged with tules along most of the shore. Your best times to fish it are when it's super high, or super low. I caught this baby in about a foot of water during the peak of the flooding. I heard it crash around on the shore next to me (scared me) and I made a goofy rear end left handed cast in that direction. I somehow managed to foul hook it with a frog that didn't have bent out hooks. Go figure! It got caught in the bushes so I went in after it, haha.

wesleywillis posted:

Thats happened to me before. really weedy bay, tossed a top water frog in that poo poo and a TON of frogs started coming for it. I figure they were either going to fight the frog, or gently caress it.
I also figured, that if they were just wantonly hopping about, without caution, there were probably no fish in that bay.

I'm actually kinda looking forward to some stupid frog shenanigans again this year, it's so much fun to tease them with it.

Chaosfeather posted:

Hey guys, I just lost my uncle who taught me everything I know about fishing and am super down I've lost my best fishing buddy. Please post your most outrageous fish stories or pictures, fictional or no.

I'm sorry to hear that man, I have some good fishing memories with my uncles. Mostly with my grandpa though. He just turned 85 and has this janky rear end bowed leg from some bone disease, he has a hard time getting around now. He tried to get me to let him climb down some rocks to go fish in the river when we were up there a few weeks ago. I was like, no loving way, go sit on this rock over here.

Anyway, to satisfy your request. My best non-fabricated fishing story was when I caught this tuna. It was my first time out (last year) and I was out there with an IT vendor that I've done business with for years (going on the boat again in August, can't wait!). They got a bunch of rental rods for everyone and they're just the standard lever drag round reel type thing. It was pretty awful, line would just explode off of it in big rear end loops the second you took your thumb off the reel. I've got a sardine swimming his rear end off away from the boat, I take my thumb off the spool for a sec for some reason or another, the line goes bonkers and loops around the handle right as the fish hit. I, the deckhands, and even the captain spent about 10 minutes trying to rectify the situation without losing the fish but there was just too much tension on the line. SOMEHOW the fish stayed hooked while the deckhand cut the line and spliced it onto another rod/reel. 20-30 minutes later this bad boy had a gaff in it. I shamefully admit that I didn't bring it all by myself. They had their drag super tight for some reason so it was just an arm wrestling match with a 60ish lb tuna. The dude was barking at me, "KEEP THE ROD UP! KEEP THE ROD UP! PUMP! REEL! REEL! REEL!", just doing his job more or less, but I was like, I'm beat and I don't want to lose this fish. Bring 'em in! Also, it being my first time, I was unaware of the whole jackpot thing that they do on those boats so I didn't have any cash to buy in. Missed out on a $200 jackpot (was the biggest fish caught that day)

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Had a great time on the Eagle.

gamera009 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 6, 2018

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Those are some straight up beautiful trout. All catch and release or did you feast on some of the fish meats? I'm already hyped for trout season here (starts November) and subsequently stressed about catching more than I can eat. I need more fish eating friends. Sockington has it made with his always willing recipients for his angling bounties.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

joem83 posted:

Those are some straight up beautiful trout. All catch and release or did you feast on some of the fish meats? I'm already hyped for trout season here (starts November) and subsequently stressed about catching more than I can eat. I need more fish eating friends. Sockington has it made with his always willing recipients for his angling bounties.

I mostly just release. Bag limit on the Eagle is two and the wife pulled that monstrous brown out of a large run and we both stared at it for a while.

No bag or cooler in the car though. :negative:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

joem83 posted:

Get a vacuum sealer. You can freeze fish for months with one of those and it defrosts fine. It keeps the smell in too. It's great for keeping bait in good condition as well, the bags on the left are some fillets from a gummy shark I caught a month ago and the fish is one of the dick salmon from last weekend that I'm saving to use as bait for more sharks.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Went casting for two hours tonight until midnight, and had a nice 20” walleye at the dock but left my net too far out of reach to keep him tight. Swam away to fight another day. Then spent the next two hours getting nothing except mosquito bites.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How do I catch Walleye around Boston?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How do I catch Walleye around Boston?

http://www.aa-fishing.com/ma/massachusetts-walleye-fishing.html

I’m not sure to be honest. We’re on the Great Lakes, and well, it’s pretty great. :agesilaus:

Went back out at 6am sunrise and got a 16” Walter and a goby. It so depressing thinking how much paddling I have to do, to do another run after reeling him up and putting a new worm on. My phone is in a bag at this point.

The walleye that brightened my morning up.

So this is how it ends, eh?

My river exercise machine rigged out. I don’t carry much since I’m never more than 100yards from shore.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Had a great time crabbing at home before I had to go back to work on the east coast.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Had a great time crabbing at home before I had to go back to work on the east coast.

:eyepop:

Man I am jealous. I live in Arizona and there's no crab here :smith:

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I'm also jealous of the crab bounty. I freaking love crab but it's so expensive

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
My buddy from back in the day came up to see me Friday night. We grubbed on some Vietnamese, and hit the sack. 5 o clock came early, but we managed to get coffee'd up and got down to Brunswick and on the water probably just after 7.

Pretty lazy day, although the river seemed to be flowing pretty well. That made for easy paddling, but cloudy water, unfortunately. Had a bit of a time trying to position the canoe to get near the cover, but my buddy got a few just trolling the middle of the river. I got the first fish, a kitten catfish, and the last one, a tiny smallie. He got a few adolescent smallies. Lost a few rapalas, as when youre moving in a canoe, there's no unsnagging.

We were off the water by noon. We drank a beer (Potomac IPA!), and enjoyed the gorgeous and rare day here in the Mid Atlantic, highs in the 70s.

My little pal was happy to see me when I got home. :unsmith:

I really need to get a new rod and reel at some point.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ROFLburger posted:

:eyepop:

Man I am jealous. I live in Arizona and there's no crab here :smith:

Any idea how fishing is up around Flag?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

:yeshaha:

LCK making it look easy, as usual. These are rock crabs as dungies don't turn red until cooked, yes? The biggest rock crabs in Puget Sound, yes? The things that (my) dreams are made of?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yup. I usually only keep 7 inch or bigger crabs. Got a good location near a deep channel that has plenty of crabs.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Chaosfeather posted:

ok

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Pretty sure I would lose a finger landing that fish.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

joem83 posted:

Trust me, landing a muskie at the side of the boat is the most anticlimactic thing I've ever experienced while fishing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joem83 posted:

Every tackle box should have a lip grip in it but also be aware that certain species of fish have weak neck bones and can’t be supported only by the lip(snook for instance).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Muskie and Pike that size need a belly support too. Lots of local guys will rip on your for taking pictures of fish held wrong (and to be honest, good on them).

Started working on the heavyweight this weekend. Patched the holes in the floor and started work on the fuel tank compartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Any idea how fishing is up around Flag?

Hm I couldn't tell you, I do all of my fishing in the big lakes around phoenix and some up in the Mogollon rim.