Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"I kind of don't like this so I'll wait for other content"
"OH yeah what content do YOU like then?"
"This"
"YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT BECAUSE YOU ENJOY THINGS WRONG!"

Shut the gently caress up.

Rofl. Yes. That is exactly how that exchange went. You are so totally correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Rainuwastaken posted:

I really, really wish XIV had some kind of world/server chat (though I'm aware there are problems with that and instanced duties due to the way the servers work), because the only other place I get that feeling is from the Novice Network, which is somewhat exclusive.

Novice network on my server is an awful cliquey trash chatroom. Half the people there got mentor status just so they can hang out there and use it as their own personal chat room instead of actually giving help to newbies.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

PancakeTransmission posted:

Novice network on my server is an awful cliquey trash chatroom. Half the people there got mentor status just so they can hang out there and use it as their own personal chat room instead of actually giving help to newbies.

People that care enough about the mentor status that they wear the crown icon and try to lead every party they're in, even when they're bad/don't know the content, are the consistently worst part of the community I've seen outside of people just creeping on my character, and those are the people that hang out in novice network.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Eureka's really big problem, in my opinion, is being a Duty itself. So even if it offered solo-able content, you couldn't do any of it as a time waster sitting in queues for your roulettes. Some kind of work around needs to come in the future if they want to do this kind of data center-based, open zone content again in future expansions.

As for making it more approachable to late comers, or people who only want to dip in for a few minutes and not commit to a larger party chasing bosses, it could do with combat levequest style bounties or something.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I hate eureka because of all the mind numbing waiting I have to do. Yes I do want to spend 3 hours sitting in a train and getting one whole level at it. And this was in an active train

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Skaw posted:

Eureka's really big problem, in my opinion, is being a Duty itself. So even if it offered solo-able content, you couldn't do any of it as a time waster sitting in queues for your roulettes. Some kind of work around needs to come in the future if they want to do this kind of data center-based, open zone content again in future expansions.

As for making it more approachable to late comers, or people who only want to dip in for a few minutes and not commit to a larger party chasing bosses, it could do with combat levequest style bounties or something.

The weekly challenges they've added do help a little bit in catching up. I did the 30 and 60 challenges for the three elements one Saturday and gained three and a half levels, I think. It was boring as hell to do solo, though.

My problem with Eureka is my gaming time is limited and it never really fits in with what I want to do in FFXIV. One of these days I'll get around to getting the last crystals I need for a dyeable RDM hat, which is all I really wanted.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The challenges take a while even with a group specifically farming challenges, nevermind how troublesome it can be sometimes to get people together for a challenge log party that are in the same level range.

The level range is the biggest mistake of Eureka, if you want to focus on a particular aspect of it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cythereal posted:

It's what to do at endgame if you don't care about raids and ex primals, along with leveling other classes and beast tribes.

No it isn't? The thing to do at endgame for casuals is cap tomes, which you can do through dungeons, and get actual good gear, not squander 20 hours of your life in Eureka.

If you don't want to do that either, that's totally fine though. My only point of contention is that Eureka is for anything other than glamour. It won't be an actually good weapon until 4.55 assuming they hold to the same patch schedule and relic power level that has existed previously.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 6, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

HenryEx posted:

Lemme tell you about a 2 a.m. farm group for Thordan Ex birb where people kept discussing Thordan's hairy, wrinkly old man balls and how even his ultimate comes in weak pathetic spurts

I don't need that visual. :(

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
My lazyness/depression almost costed me. Went to finally buy the base game and noticed that everything FF14 was on sale 50% off, and the complete edition was only $10 more than the base game by itself. And the sale ends today.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Seigetsu the Enlightened: Upon his return, I will have him pour cup after cup. Naturally, once the kami have been given their share, the remainder will be distributed amongst those most deserving. By that, I am mainly referring to myself, but the others are welcome to my dregs.

Seigetsu the Enlightened: Is that disdain I detect in your expression? Spare me. Decadent rulers and underprivileged lower classes are the hallmarks of a civilized society, and we Namazu are no different. I have my role, and the plebeians have theirs.

:d2a: but namazu

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

EGSunBro posted:

People that care enough about the mentor status that they wear the crown icon and try to lead every party they're in, even when they're bad/don't know the content, are the consistently worst part of the community I've seen outside of people just creeping on my character, and those are the people that hang out in novice network.

95% of all people who have a mentor crown are loving awful players. This applies to goons as well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Luna Was Here posted:

95% of all people who have a mentor crown are loving awful players. This applies to goons as well.

how dare you call me out like this

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
HoH has brought back one of the smallest yet somehow most annoying problems I have in the game: someone using an intuition Pom when ones already active

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I should probably start trying Mentor Roulette.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I should probably start trying Mentor Roulette.

Mentor Roulette is a special sort of hell, where sometimes you get Under the Armor for a nice 30 second win and sometimes you get an in-progress Sephirot Ex where half the party just queued it up in DF for the first time.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Luna Was Here posted:

95% of all people are loving awful players. This applies to goons as well.

ftfy

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Heaven on High only lets you queue for the first 30 floors as opposed to 100 in Palace of the Dead. We've gone from 3 dungeons, a raid, a trial and extra stuff per patch to 1 dungeon, sometimes a raid or a trial, and a half-assed addition like Heaven on High or Eureka per patch.

I adore FFXIV, but Stormblood has been incredibly disappointing content wise. The story was decent outside from almost every female lead (hero and villain alike) being unreasonable and ignorant just to keep the plot moving forward and what trials and raids they add are good, but it just feels like there's so much less to do it's depressing. I know I'll get shouted down by people who think Eureka is "fine", but if your content requires you to be able to tab out or go to your 2nd monitor to watch Netflix between zerging around bosses in a lovely emulation of the FFXI gameplay nobody likes anymore it's not good content.

I have no idea how they plan to keep people busy all the way til the next expansion if we've only got 2 patches left for this one.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i wouldn't really knock only having 30/100 floors in heaven on high compared to 100/200 for potd because the latter really overstays its welcome sometimes

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

UHD posted:

i wouldn't really knock only having 30/100 floors in heaven on high compared to 100/200 for potd because the latter really overstays its welcome sometimes

It's just another straw. People constantly argue that we're getting less dungeons and trials because they're adding more types of other content like Eureka and HoH, and yet here we are with less of that content that's supposedly replacing it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Verranicus posted:

Heaven on High only lets you queue for the first 30 floors as opposed to 100 in Palace of the Dead. We've gone from 3 dungeons, a raid, a trial and extra stuff per patch to 1 dungeon, sometimes a raid or a trial, and a half-assed addition like Heaven on High or Eureka per patch.

I adore FFXIV, but Stormblood has been incredibly disappointing content wise. The story was decent outside from almost every female lead (hero and villain alike) being unreasonable and ignorant just to keep the plot moving forward and what trials and raids they add are good, but it just feels like there's so much less to do it's depressing. I know I'll get shouted down by people who think Eureka is "fine", but if your content requires you to be able to tab out or go to your 2nd monitor to watch Netflix between zerging around bosses in a lovely emulation of the FFXI gameplay nobody likes anymore it's not good content.

I have no idea how they plan to keep people busy all the way til the next expansion if we've only got 2 patches left for this one.

Come on now, stop making fun of Cythereal.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mordiceius posted:

Come on now, stop making fun of Cythereal.

Your red text is appropriate in this instance.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I would much rather have content the way it is right now, i.e. high quality dungeons, trials and 8/24 man raids coming out with the expectation that I won't hate seeing them appear in my roulette in a year or so. Answer me honestly, how many ARR dungeons are there where you go "oh cool I got <instance>, love this place"? I don't think I've ever been excited to replay Leviathan hard. The literal only arr dungeon I enjoy anymore is haukke. Meanwhile I fully expect to enjoy running through fractal and Moon mom in the coming weeks and months as the game continues to grow in size and quality.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The 2.x dungeons are the best ones in the game, at least to me and my friends.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The 2.x dungeons were generally enjoyable but there's a certain rhythm and pace to the 4.x dungeons that I particularly enjoy.

I just wish Eureka wasn't so awful.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Keeper of the Lake is my absolute favourite dungeon just for the music.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Yeah 4.x dungeons blow everything before them out of the water imo.

Liking the 24 mans the most too so far

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Argas posted:

The 2.x dungeons were generally enjoyable but there's a certain rhythm and pace to the 4.x dungeons that I particularly enjoy.

I just wish Eureka wasn't so awful.

Like I said, the content we've gotten (dungeons, trials, raids) in Stormblood -are- good, we've just gotten far too much less than before and the stuff that's supposedly there to replace it is terrible.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Mad Snake Eaters have Cleared the Clown. And this time well before the next raid tier dropped!

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

EGSunBro posted:

They shouldn’t have made the icon a crown, people get it just because of that. It really should have been a watering can or something.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Brainamp posted:

Mad Snake Eaters have Cleared the Clown. And this time well before the next raid tier dropped!

heckin yeah

My static is pretty close too; not bad considering we've been together for three weeks and only like one person had seen Godka beforehand. We've sort of got third Forsaken figured out, so that and a bit of tidying up on second and we might actually clear something while it's still relevant!

Then I can go through and demand apologies from the many, many people who told me that I'd never finish a Savage tier.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I've mostly been stuck in this jenga tower since its release, and a good number of details have painted this picture in my mind: HoH is quite the perfect representative of the entirety of SB. What do I mean? Let's see...

1 - Despite being mostly an alternative way to level up, it arrived more than a year after StormBlood itself. I wonder how many veterans, who have stuck around instead of having an on/off relationship with the game, have to use it for leveling at this point? Especially when roulettes, FATEs, and challenge log entries now all give so much bonus exp. For the new players, they still have to slog through PotD 1-50 to unlock this, which may not be an awful time investment, but the fact remains it's a requirement that doesn't even make sense from a story/lore point, making it as arbitrary as it can get.

2 - Despite being part of 4.3, it arrived more than a month after the patch proper dropped. As such, it's another fine example of how the devs have taken to spreading everything out as thinly as possible. Whether it's another form of hand-holding, to help us pace things better (which I personally find rather condescending/offensive too); or a form of consideration so we don't feel the pressure of having to do everything at once - this practice is questionable at best. And both of those explanations go down the drain anyway, when they dump it on us together with the Feast Regional Championship (however niche that may be).

3 - Despite the delays and spread-out content, it had to be taken offline and warranted an all worlds maintenance less than 24 hours after delivery. It might just be a new record.

4 - It contains only 100 floors, only 30 of which is available for matched parties, while the rest is "challenge" and requires a fixed party. Now this was done, apparently, to reduce what those aiming for the higher levels have to slog through, however... Apparently even with this, there's very little challenge (if any) before - what's the magic line, again? 70? 80? So while it sounded better than PotD on paper, it seems like the delivery fell short again, because basically all they achieved is locking a few more "casual" tiers away from randoms, while not giving any more to those preferring higher difficulties. At least if one just wants to farm, they can do 21-30. How fun one tenth of it is, compared to the entire thing... that's worthy of a discussion of its own, too. And while the fact that you only have to do 10 floors before actually moving over to the challenge part, instead of forced to do the whole "casual" part beforehand is good - with how "challenging" the next 20-30-40 floors apparently are, it doesn't make much of a difference.

5 - The story is such a throwaway, it's literally painful, and makes me wonder why they even tried. Might as well have been better with a simple "hey, we have permission to let you in here, wanna explore?" from the guard NPC, and just leave it at that. Would've saved on scripts and cutscenes.

6 - The jumbo rooms. Again, while good on paper, with so many ways to easily wipe entire floors (petrification, transformation, magicites), it becomes a little pointless. I'd even say its size is just on the wrong side of big too: if you have access to your pomanders/magicites, it's a nuisance to run around in; if you happen to get the "right" debuff for the floor too, it only makes wiping a lot easier. (By the way magicites, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and say it's unintentional, but it's such another good way of heckling every SMN........)

7 - There is no mount to exchange potsherds for. There is one sealed away to higher floors, but it's a random drop as well, most probably less common than the hairstyle too; and you can get another one if you complete floor 100 enough times. (I also wonder about how much the scenery changes on upper floors so that the dodo fits in - or is it as random as the story?) But hey, at least the minion now costs 10 potsherds instead of 3. Same for the orchestrion scroll and the emote. You can get junk battle materia for 3, because that's obviously much needed ... especially for casuals. And there's not been an abundance of them late, either.

8 - The fireworks make a return again! Not like anyone complained about them in PotD. Not like anyone complained about them in Eureka. Nope. They're perfectly fine and everyone loves them. ... Right??

TL;DR: it comes off as a very fine example of "here we are giving you even less than before, but we expect you to do it a lot more/longer", basically making HoH a perfect poster child for StormBlood in all the wrong ways. ... Not sure if it needed another after Eureka? And let's not forget: while there are good ideas in the deep dungeons - they're still only in there. None of the floor designs, none of the pomanders, none of the traps, none of the floor-wide (de)buffs are ever applied anywhere else in the game; in fact the only aspect of deep dungeons that's applied outside of HoH is the reuse/recycling of old assets. Which is just sad.

To give credit where credit's due: being able to create tokens and buy weapons with those is a step forward. We can go in using any job and still get a weapon for any other, which enables a potentially more comfortable gameplay. What's more, this change was also applied for PotD - something that genuinely surprised me, as I didn't expect such level of thought/consistency at this point. What's bad about it, though, is that with all the other details above, it falls straight into that "too little, too late" pit where so many other changes/features lie already.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Sir, this is the Wendy's drive thru.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Not being able to queue higher than 30 is pretty dumb though. If I want to punch myself in the balls, let me, game!

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I like HoH a lot more than PoTD. Feels like you have more options and it moves faster, plus the little bit of variety in big rooms helps. Personally like the aesthetic more but that’s personal preference.

Honestly the delayed patch thing just seems like a way to keep people subbed more despite the famous Yoshida quote, and it feels kinda lame between that and the rapid influx of cash shop stuff.

I’ve liked all the content sans eureka but it definitely feels thinly spread out

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Hoh is definitely better than potd. A lot of my major gripes with the original implementation have been fixed to some degree. But it is still fundamentally boring content because it is mostly trash fights and the potentially interesting content is locked behind going through less interesting stuff over and over.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

It is quicker to get to the making bank floors so who really cares I guess?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I've got tons of classes to level in HoH, though the vast majority of them are 60 rather than 61 (meaning it's gonna be a few roulettes before I can get them in there. Would be nice if you could enter at 60 instead, but ces la vie.

Mordiceius posted:

But hey, at least the minion now costs 10 potsherds instead of 3. Same for the orchestrion scroll and the emote.

This actually still works out in your favor, unless you were supremely lucky with bronze-chest potsherds in PotD. Since you can start on 21-30 and get a potsherd every 10 floors, the minions essentially cost you 100 floors max. Three potsherds from PotD would cost you 150 floors if you're just getting the guaranteed ones. And hell, I've been seeing potsherds drop from bronze chests very frequently in HoH, much more than until the last few sets of PotD. Granted, if you're not running a lot of 21-30 for experience / aetherpool, you get kinda screwed, but I also have no idea how frequently bronze chests bless you in the later stages of HoH.

Also let's not forget that there was a 10 potsherd song from PotD, which is just ludicrously more expensive than the HoH song considering how slowly they accumulated over there.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rainuwastaken posted:

I've got tons of classes to level in HoH, though the vast majority of them are 60 rather than 61 (meaning it's gonna be a few roulettes before I can get them in there. Would be nice if you could enter at 60 instead, but ces la vie.
Yeah, I was hoping to start leveling my DPS classes, but I'll have to get them up a level first and it would have been nice to just allow 60's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Just smh if you didn't use the three months' (?) worth of beastman dailies to push your 60s to 61 and leave them there.