Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

bengy81 posted:

I think my favorite part of being American is how multicultural this country is.

Same but for Canada. Integration is a good thing, and it doesn't mean getting Borg assimilated or having parts of you stomped out. In all the really meaningful ways we are the same & share the same values: want our kids to grow up ok and have access to better opportunities, get together sometimes with friends and family, a safe and clean neighborhood, neighbors that aren't dicks, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm very happy to live in a country where I can have a thoroughly Mexican dish for breakfast, an Eastern European Jewish-inspired fusion meal for lunch, and a Pan-European medley for dinner.

Breakfast: Huevos rancheros
Lunch: Reuben sandwich and potato chips
Dinner: Swedish meatballs and pasta and a side salad

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 6, 2018

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm very happy to live in a country where I can have a thoroughly Mexican dish for breakfast, an Eastern European Jewish-inspired fusion meal for lunch, and a Pan-European medley for dinner.

Breakfast: Huevos rancheros
Lunch: Reuben sandwich and potato chips
Dinner: Swedish meatballs and pasta and a side salad

Same but

Breakfast: avocado toast
Lunch: general tso's chicken
Dinner: hawaian pizza

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Look who’s turning 50:

More info here: http://nib.org/sites/default/files/pen/pen-index.html

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Time for another round of Pentars

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://www.duffelblog.com/2018/01/meet-the-skilcraft-pen-with-38-career-kills/

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Haha holy poo poo they're not that expensive either as long as you buy them directly from NIB. $4.12/dz with free shipping. I'm used to seeing them for a dollar plus a pen on reseller sites or in the supply catalogue. That's actually a better rate than the government usually buys them for.

https://www.ibsupply.com/i/7520009357136-u-s-government-ballpoint-retractable-pen-black-ink-medium-dozen/8XW0M

And the 5.5 inch logbooks are <4 bucks each, not so sure that's a great deal as it's just a hard cover notebook in a terrible shade of green.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 6, 2018

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

*Oompa loompas wearing hazmat suits cartwheel into room*
Oompa loompa doopity doo
I've got another puzzle for you
Oompa loompa doopity dee
If you are dumb, get fired via Tweet

What do you get when you max out charge cards?
First class tickets and security guards
Sound proofing booths, it's so obvious
Secretly meet with LOB. BY. ISTS!
VIOLATING FEDERAL LAW!

Oompa loompa doopity dee
If you are smart you'll listen to me
You will live in happiness too
Like the oompa loompa doopity do!

*Oompa loompas activate a giant vacuum cleaner and hoover Scott Pruitt into the nozzle before cartwheeling out of room*

Doopity do!

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

That's actually a better rate than the government usually buys them for.

I used to see this with hotels all the time. If you travel on government contract, the GSA rate usually gets you a cheaper hotel room in big cities. If you're in BFE, Midwest State and select the government rate, you'll be paying more per night than AAA or whatever the going rate is. I worked with a former Army guy who had a few moments of mute "how dare they defraud Uncle Sam" shock at this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sergg posted:

*Oompa loompas wearing hazmat suits cartwheel into room*
Oompa loompa doopity doo
I've got another puzzle for you
Oompa loompa doopity dee
If you are dumb, get fired via Tweet

What do you get when you max out charge cards?
First class tickets and security guards
Sound proofing booths, it's so obvious
Secretly meet with LOB. BY. ISTS!
VIOLATING FEDERAL LAW!

Oompa loompa doopity dee
If you are smart you'll listen to me
You will live in happiness too
Like the oompa loompa doopity do!

*Oompa loompas activate a giant vacuum cleaner and hoover Scott Pruitt into the nozzle before cartwheeling out of room*

Doopity do!

:golfclap:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

A couple of "citizens" in the UK look to be the most unlucky people in the world due to the fact they managed to find, and use, an item that was used in the Novachok poisoning earlier this year. Currently in hospital where they are pretty ill.

This is utter speculation by the press here but it seems a pair of habitual drug users may have found and used a syringe that had the remnants of nerve agent. :wtf:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

egyptian rat race posted:

I used to see this with hotels all the time. If you travel on government contract, the GSA rate usually gets you a cheaper hotel room in big cities. If you're in BFE, Midwest State and select the government rate, you'll be paying more per night than AAA or whatever the going rate is. I worked with a former Army guy who had a few moments of mute "how dare they defraud Uncle Sam" shock at this.

Supposedly the rates are higher, but that's made up for by stuff like cancellation policy changes and greater flexibility on short term bookings compared to booking pure civillian.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.8d120d9aaf7a

Army recruiters appear to be bailing on non-citizen contracts due to the work involved in getting non-citizen paperwork in order, including background checks. Recruiters are behaving as if this is policy guidance, Big Army / DOD is saying it's not policy guidance; others say it's just massive incompetence. Pick your poison, I guess. In some cases, a journalist simply calling and asking has resulted in no public comment, followed by the contract being reinstated minutes later.

This is pretty particularly lovely, though:

quote:

An immigrant recruit who came to the United States in 2006 and enlisted in Virginia said her contract was canceled Tuesday after she had waited for two years, just as her legal immigration status expired. She asked to opt-in for another year, but her contract was dissolved days later, she said.

Recruiters had assured her, saying her contract was a shield from federal immigration authorities, she said. She spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution.

She now fears deportation to her native Indonesia, which strips native-born people of citizenship if they enlist in a foreign military or pledge loyalty to another country, as she has done.

Love to end up as a potentially stateless person due to enlisting!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If this thread has taught me anything it's that enlisting is a mistake.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
July CE Thread: I know why the caged millennials kill.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

That Works posted:

If this thread has taught me anything it's that enlisting is a mistake.

Every non-mil person that reads the CE thread should walk away with this angle.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

thank you for your service

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Burt posted:

A couple of "citizens" in the UK look to be the most unlucky people in the world due to the fact they managed to find, and use, an item that was used in the Novachok poisoning earlier this year. Currently in hospital where they are pretty ill.

This is utter speculation by the press here but it seems a pair of habitual drug users may have found and used a syringe that had the remnants of nerve agent. :wtf:

They are saying it was probably a cigarette butt, now. I think one was a drug user and the other was a street drinker.

Either way they are hosed.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I used to have moments of feeling guilty that I didn't enlist or end up commissioning but steadily reading this thread/forum over the past 8 years completely ended that.

Also shout out to the fat major who told me I'd never travel or live overseas if I didn't commission. lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Handsome Ralph posted:

I used to have moments of feeling guilty that I didn't enlist or end up commissioning but steadily reading this thread/forum over the past 8 years completely ended that.

Also shout out to the fat major who told me I'd never travel or live overseas if I didn't commission. lol

Haha yep, literally flipped a coin and chose grad school over OCS in my last year of college (2000). I think it turned out OK, but every now and then I think about what might have been and this thread helps with the 'hahah gently caress no' part there.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
A funny thread:

https://twitter.com/atroyn/status/1014974099930714115

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I know there are some people who claim asylum who really shouldn't qualify. But remember the following when some loving bootlicker clown cites that as their reason why the current immigration policy is actually Good Logic Law:

https://twitter.com/aurabogado/status/1005254093202337792

https://twitter.com/aurabogado/status/1005255579143557121

Majority and dissenting opinions:
https://www.justice.gov/eoir/page/file/1068811/download

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 6, 2018

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

This is my favorite

https://twitter.com/atroyn/status/1014977230731083777?s=19

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/atroyn/status/1014974932651069440

oh god im here voluntarily

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Love that the asylum court, if taken to its logical conclusion, would also consider people in Auschwitz to be materially supporting the Nazis, because they did labor instead of electing to fight to the death or commit mass suicide. Or could consider charity workers who treat people, no questions asked, for injury/illness to be materially supporting terrorists.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I just graduated from college, but despite being smart I'm also pretty dumb. Maybe I should enlist!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

Love that the asylum court, if taken to its logical conclusion, would also consider people in Auschwitz to be materially supporting the Nazis, because they did labor instead of electing to fight to the death or commit mass suicide. Or could consider charity workers who treat people, no questions asked, for injury/illness to be materially supporting terrorists.

quote:

The respondent argues on appeal that the Immigration Judge erred by finding that she is subject to the material support bar, claiming that any assistance she provided to the guerrillas in El Salvador was de minimis and therefore not “material.” She further asserts that even if the material support bar is applicable to her, she is entitled to a duress exception. However, in Matter of M-H-Z-, 26 I&N Dec. 757 (BIA 2016), we ruled that the “material support bar” in section 212(a)(3)(B)(iv)(VI) of the Act does not include an implied exception for an alien whose material support to a terrorist organization was provided under duress. The United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, in whose jurisdiction this case arises, has deferred to our interpretation. See Hernandez v. Sessions, 884 F.3d 107, 109 (2d Cir. 2018). Consequently, we will not address that issue further.

:catstare:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Or could consider charity workers who treat people, no questions asked, for injury/illness to be materially supporting terrorists.

To be fair, that's been the policy toward MSF since at least 2015.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

There's not a :catstare: big enough

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

It's like the legal opinion version of the idea victim-blaming idea that if you don't resist an attacker/rapist/etc until death or victory, you're actually complicit in aiding them in committing the crime.

edit:

Hell, a POW could be made to do the kind of labor she was doing under the Geneva Convention with no war-crime and with no penalty to the member of the US military when eventually repatriated/rescued.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 6, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Rember that fucker that struck and killed a black motorist picking up road debris, and then messages his friend saying he struck and killed a black guy so casually?

State Cops cleared him of any fault, despite fleeing a scene of an incident

https://www.theroot.com/white-driver-who-fatally-struck-black-man-called-him-r-1827387699

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

I was literally sitting in a recruiters office 6 years ago, papers in front of me, before I said I needed to go home and think about it. I read the GIP thread about enlisting and it convinced me not to. That enlisting at the age of 27 with a bachelors was stupid. So I ignored all the recruiters call and switched to studying for IT exams instead. Seems like it was a good choice, thanks GIP!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"going to be," ayup.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
It bothers me that a term for the most educated, and arguably harder working generation is used as pejorative because....iphones?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Sacrist65 posted:

It bothers me that a term for the most educated, and arguably harder working generation is used as pejorative because....iphones?

It's also used for anyone anywhere between 15ish and 38 years old so that's good too.

This generation has seen a 17 year long war, fought and died in it, and yet we're the generation that gets mocked the most as being lazy whiny children. By the people who will have pensions and poo poo waiting for them when they retire.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Sacrist65 posted:

Old people have always done the "theory of decay" poo poo. People were better when they were young, don't understand new thing, pissing in the snow, uphill, both ways...

Its always been bullshit. poo poo, in WW1 you had idiots going on about how automatic weapons were ruining the infantry and how Crimea was the last "real" war.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sacrist65 posted:

It's just the usual resentment from older generations. Notably Baby Boomers because they're the biggest offender of this sort but you've got plenty of people from all decades acting like everyone under 40 lives with their parents, snorts condoms, eats tide pods, has no job, and needs constant coddling.

Never mind how insanely stupid that sounds coming from the people that still think there's a prince on the other end of that email just dying to give them millions of dollars if they'd just pay a small transfer fee.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Rember that fucker that struck and killed a black motorist picking up road debris, and then messages his friend saying he struck and killed a black guy so casually?

State Cops cleared him of any fault, despite fleeing a scene of an incident

https://www.theroot.com/white-driver-who-fatally-struck-black-man-called-him-r-1827387699

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I like to remind people that when the generation complaining about 'Millenials" were their age they helped spike the crime/murder and drug rates in the USA to record numbers all while polluting like crazy. Saints, the last generation were not.

• Locked thread