Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah, this is why if you find a nice flat spot sheltered from the wind you don't camp in it. It's a dry riverbed that'll flash-flood during the night and kill you.
Fake edit: also don't camp under the nice sheltering tree, it'll drop a limb during the night and kill you.

This happened to me twice when hiking the AT. There had been a pretty bad storm the night before and trees and branches were falling all around us. Didn’t help that the next day was windy as well. When we stopped for the night i picked out a spot but just happen to see a arbitrarily better spot 10 ft away on the other side of the trail. About an hour later we are sitting in our tent and hear a massive crack and thud. Look outside and it’s the old spot I had chosen with a massive widow maker of a branch sitting on the ground. That was a night of unease.

The second time we stopped and sat for lunch when a smallish arm sized branch fell and smashed into my girlfriends outstretched arm as she was about to take a drink. An inch closer and it’d have surely knocked her out cold.

Hiking is just constantly narrowly avoiding injury and death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Okay, you've got my attention. More info please?

Seriously. That's an insane amount of water.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Okay, you've got my attention. More info please?

ChesterJT posted:

Seriously. That's an insane amount of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiuDsCmja4U

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/qVLnByI.gifv

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Looks like this is the Hidroituango Dam in Colombia. This is an incomplete dam (10 meters left to build) but the heavy rains put so much debris into the diversion channels that they were all blocked. Efforts to unplug the diversion channels (tunnels) have failed, and they chose to open up the pipes into the incomplete turbine buildings to help release water as the level behind the dam was rising at very fast rates. I am not sure of what the video is actually from, the water from the turbine buildings or something else. Thousands of people downstream were under evacuation orders.

News out of Colombia isn't great, and the latest update I was able to find was from June 18th that seemed to indicate that the workers had successfully raised the dam to a point where the spillways could be used to prevent an overtopping, but the translation is not great, and that is from a company spokesman for the company in charge of building the dam, so who knows how truthful it is.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Zil posted:

The site says this is, but I'm guessing the military has something bigger.

https://www.rainforrent.com/HighFlowPumps-DV600c.aspx

Edit: this one is bigger, but it doesn't seem like it is something that can be ready to go in a moments notice. https://www.vanheckgroup.com/press-releases/van-heck-develops-largest-pump-set-world/

So...what would happen...if......a guy.......put his dick....... inside one of those? Asking for a friend.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hell Stink posted:

So...what would happen...if......a guy.......put his dick....... inside one of those? Asking for a friend.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hell Stink posted:

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

This kills the crab.

Edit: for anyone curious and to be useful, here's the relevant video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0&t=171s

When it's got ya, it's got ya. :gonk:

Strabo4 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 6, 2018

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I'm sure this can suck off the cave to the point it has an orgasm.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can you sedate the navy SEALS and have someone drag them through the tunnels

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

what do you think that blade was originally? I can't quite tell if they snapped the tang off a scythe and then ground down the wrong edge like assholes.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Generic bar stock would be my guess.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
whys it curved then? I mean the endpoint is too chiseled to be a scythe probably, and it seems like it's too heavy to be one anyway, but it's a weird as gently caress shape. My bet is it was a piece of some other thing they randomly repurposed. That center of gravity looks fucky as hell.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAgSUFT4cVk

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Gluten Freeman posted:

Not sure if you're joking but the cave was relatively dry when they went in and then monsoon rains began, flooding it.
Of course! I hope Bombadilillo will clarify what they wanted to ask. Because otherwise the question is "So, those kids, in the cave where trained cave divers need 6 hours to make the trip and a Navy Seal died, is it possible they made their way in while the water was already there?" and that made me laugh.

Edit: Btw, there's a thread in GBS about it. Missing Thai soccer kids found alive in cave after nine days
It's in GBS so of course it's full of jokes about.......well, never mind, let's keep discussing it here.

RabbitWizard fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 6, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Psst.

Guess where this thread is.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This is one of the more civilized threads in GBS so I can imagine the confusion.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

spankmeister posted:

This is one of the more civilized threads in GBS so I can imagine the confusion.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What are the cave walls composed of? Can the divers even see underwater?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Limestone, and poorly.

The freshly flooded nature of the cave means there's still going to be a major silt load in the water and that stuff can take weeks to settle out completely. Add to that the fact that there's divers going in and out and the visibility in the water would be dreadful. Less than a meter.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

also theres a body in there too now.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

He got dragged out by another diver after he lost consciousness and declared dead outside.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

also theres a ghost in there too now

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Are you suggesting that their plan is to keep sending in divers to die, until their bodies block all the incoming water so that the kids can walk out safely?

This isn't Russia.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

spog posted:

Are you suggesting that their plan is to keep sending in divers to die, until their bodies block all the incoming water so that the kids can walk out safely?

This isn't Russia.

You're right, in Russia they would have pumped sedative gas in there and dragged the kids out to safety, only for all of them to die because they weren't put into the recovery position and they choked to death.

:(

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Don't you mean because they won't tell the treating doctors what the sedative was?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/05/thai-soccer-boys-missed-cave-trip-wild-boars?CMP=fb_gu

Apparently they were going to have a picnic inside?

also OL MUSKY

quote:

Elon Musk offers to help save trapped boys
Following his musings on Twitter earlier, for The Boring Company - the tunnel construction company founded by Musk in 2016 - confirmed that it is speaking with the Thai government and is sending people to offer support on the ground.

A spokesman told the BBC: “We are speaking with the Thai government to see how we can help, and we are sending SpaceX/Boring Company people from the US to Thailand today to offer support on the ground.

“Once we confirm what exactly will be helpful to send or do, we will. We are getting feedback and guidance from the people on the ground in Chiang Rai to determine the best way for us to assist their efforts.”

According to Musk, SpaceX and The Boring Company have “advance ground penetrating radar” that is “pretty good at digging holes” or technology that could “create an air tunnel underwater” for the children to traverse.

RADAR DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Synthbuttrange posted:

If Elon-Senpai says they have a radar that is pretty good at digging holes they have one!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Think about "technology that could create an air tunnel." What the gently caress does that mean? Is he going to drill down to them? Is he going to run a long tube through the cave?

My personal belief is that be wants to use air pressure to push the water out of the way, but forgets that the water would then drown the kids and be impossible to traverse.

"Well good news...our hyperloop air tunnel works."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What if... we made a tunnel... but in water?!?!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Elon is just like all the other internet warriors who want to provide "helpful" advice, only he has a couple of companies.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I want a tunnel from that thai-cave to san fran now

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Think about "technology that could create an air tunnel." What the gently caress does that mean? Is he going to drill down to them? Is he going to run a long tube through the cave?

My personal belief is that be wants to use air pressure to push the water out of the way, but forgets that the water would then drown the kids and be impossible to traverse.

"Well good news...our hyperloop air tunnel works."

He wants to sell them 300 hair dryers to blow the water away.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

GotLag posted:

Don't you mean because they won't tell the treating doctors what the sedative was?

No, because they dragged out all the kids and propped them up against walls while they were dragging out the rest of the kids, as opposed to laying them down on their sides.

There were no treating doctors, getting the terrorists was priority #1, with the kids' well-being a distant second.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Memento posted:

No, because they dragged out all the kids and propped them up against walls while they were dragging out the rest of the kids, as opposed to laying them down on their sides.

There were no treating doctors, getting the terrorists was priority #1, with the kids' well-being a distant second.

You know what's worse?

Before trying to google this, I had to ask the question 'Which Russian hostage rescue that resulted in the deaths of hundreds of hostages are we talking about?'

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Synthbuttrange posted:

If your radar is big and heavy and you smash it against the rock repeatedly...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/05/thai-soccer-boys-missed-cave-trip-wild-boars?CMP=fb_gu

Apparently they were going to have a picnic inside?

also OL MUSKY

Does he think ground penetrating means it digs holes?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Elon Musk is going to kill a dozen children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
must be an off week