Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

There are twelve gods actually :v: You're on the money about the later bit, though, since each character's eighth skill, the one that's ??? until you unlock the others, is named after a god. Which has interesting implications!

Doesn’t Reddit have some pet theory about having four more classes? Sounds like there’s your four extra gods right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Bean posted:

Doesn’t Reddit have some pet theory about having four more classes? Sounds like there’s your four extra gods right there.

Yes, basically. The theory is that there are four additional classes with Divine Skills named after the last 4 Gods that will provide additional subclass options.

I kind of find it believable. Especially when we still don't have a Stat-raising skill for all the stats yet.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Suaimhneas posted:

Cyrus' missing book is a compendium of ancient magic, the book Tressa finds is some guy's travel journal. It doesn't sound like they're related.
Not gonna lie, I would be hugely, incredibly amused if Tressa's book was the one Cyrus is looking for, either in a "you thought the book was important but nope it's just a journal" dunk on Cyrus or in a "and now Tressa is become death, destroyer of wallets" way :allears:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Momomo posted:

I finally sat down and played a bit more of the demo. So far I've only played half of them (Primrose in the old demo, and now Ophilia, Therion and doing Alfys) but some seem more story involved than others. It feels like the first two were pretty heavy on story, while Therion really only got a plot at the very end, and Alfys only exists for like five minutes before you converge and join his party. I have to wonder if that means some characters will be more prominent than others.

I think it's just the way the prologues are structured. If you pick Alfyn first, it doesn't feel any different from anyone else's prologue as you do the whole thing solo. I'm guessing that each character just has a different jumping-on point in their prologue for when you do them with the rest of the party.

Momomo posted:

Also, going into Alfys I figured having a party of three would make it a lot easier to fight the boss. I probably made it harder on myself by trying to keep everyone alive, but I still managed to die to it. Not sure how you could really fight that thing solo, but I am excited to see the difficulty be a thing.

Alfyn's boss is pretty easy solo. The thing is that the level scaling is no joke. The first boss you fight generally isn't very hard, but they ramp up in difficulty pretty quickly as you get more party members.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I loaded up Bravely Default yesterday because I can't play this. I got only 30 hours in before, but really liked it. Now I'll get like 30 hours in before this game comes out and I'll be at the same point again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

when does the embargo for reviews end? tomorrow?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Momomo posted:

Also, going into Alfys I figured having a party of three would make it a lot easier to fight the boss. I probably made it harder on myself by trying to keep everyone alive, but I still managed to die to it. Not sure how you could really fight that thing solo, but I am excited to see the difficulty be a thing.

Bosses are scaled to your level. The ones you fight later are tougher, regardless of order.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Bosses are scaled to your level. The ones you fight later are tougher, regardless of order.

I suspect the reason they ramp up so steeply in the prologues is both because they scale to your level and because the game knows that you're going to have more party members for each one. That's most obvious in how many defense points bosses start to have for three- and four-character parties, because now you have way more chances to chip away at them on any given turn.

The combat system really starts to click once you have a full party, too, so I'm excited to see what late-game bosses are like.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1014931923829862400

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
ONE MORE loving GOD drat WEEK

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
it's beautiful

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mega64 posted:

Why the gently caress did I play the demo a few days ago, this wait is loving killing me

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I had an hour left on the demo so I played it again and man this game looks and sounds so good (well aside from the hammy voice acting perhaps).

My only gripe is that any armor I equip doesn't show up on the character sprite which I hate but I don't play jrpgs so I don't know if that's the norm or not.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm gonna get MORE THAN I BARGAINED FOR and start with Tressa. She's a gem.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm gonna get MORE THAN I BARGAINED FOR and start with Tressa. She's a gem.

hail satan tressa

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I only played one demo prologue just so I wouldn't burn out on replaying the beginning

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

extremely_vibrating_therion.gif

Mezzanon posted:

Why the gently caress did I play the demo a few days ago, this wait is loving killing me

This is why I've avoided playing it much. I'm going to fire up the demo and get my actual 3hr session in the evening before launch so that I have a short fix to get me through the next day of work.

...kinda wish I was taking off next friday and not the friday after. :v:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Harlock posted:

I only played one demo prologue just so I wouldn't burn out on replaying the beginning

The demo save data carries over to the main game

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Frankston posted:

The demo save data carries over to the main game
I'm going to start over anyways :downs:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Frankston posted:

I had an hour left on the demo so I played it again and man this game looks and sounds so good (well aside from the hammy voice acting perhaps).

My only gripe is that any armor I equip doesn't show up on the character sprite which I hate but I don't play jrpgs so I don't know if that's the norm or not.

With sprites its very very rare to change the model at all. Some games have different forms, octopath has different sprites based on subclass so that's cool.

Usually a palette swap is the best you get. Actually seeing armor changes is pretty exclusive to 3d jrpgs I think.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Frankston posted:

Yeah that's really really normal for the genre. Even JRPGs that don't use sprites only rarely show armor on your character model.

Like Zaphod says, you do have at least some customization because your subclass can change your sprite. Some of the subclass costumes are pretty great, too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zaphod42 posted:

With sprites its very very rare to change the model at all. Some games have different forms, octopath has different sprites based on subclass so that's cool.

Usually a palette swap is the best you get. Actually seeing armor changes is pretty exclusive to 3d jrpgs I think.

It's kinda common in games with job systems: FF3, FF5, FFT, FFD, Ogre Battle series and the Bravely games come immediately to mind.

e: Though BD/BS are 3D so you can ignore those. :shrug:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 5, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sprites changing for classes is fairly common, but not for equipped armor. Even in 3D JRPGs it's more remarkable when armor shows up than when it doesn't.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Any news on review embargo in the west? Really curious despite already preordering after playing the first demo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's kinda common in games with job systems: FF3, FF5, FFT, FFD, Ogre Battle series and the Bravely games come immediately to mind.

e: Though BD/BS are 3D so you can ignore those. :shrug:

Dude I explicitly called out changing sprites for changing forms. That's not the same as changing sprites for changing armors.

Like Chrono Trigger does palette swaps when you change weapons but it doesn't do anything for armors.

Tactics only changes for classes, not armors. I guess they do change the weapon sprite when you do the swing, so its like CT.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
The game seems to be attracting a lot of attention. The demo must have done well.

Housh posted:

Any news on review embargo in the west? Really curious despite already preordering after playing the first demo.

One day before release.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The different costumes for different jobs in Bravely Default are awesome.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

The different costumes for different jobs in Bravely Default are awesome.

heck yea they are

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Downloaded the demo last night, will probably try playing it tomorrow. I'm almost entirely blind, which is always my favourite way to play a jrpg!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The names of the four final jobs were revealed:

-Warlord
-Enchanter
-Augur
-Rune Lord

Although these apparently came from Nintendo France so they might not be the official english names.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Computer posted:

heck yea they are

what's wrong with her leg

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Idk if this had been confirmed or not but the character you pick first is always in your party. I hadn't considered this when picking for the demo but I went with Alfyn and I think I'm gonna stick with that. He seems like a good all-rounder.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

heck yea they are

The Bravely series has my favorite Red Mage outfit

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

Idk if this had been confirmed or not but the character you pick first is always in your party. I hadn't considered this when picking for the demo but I went with Alfyn and I think I'm gonna stick with that. He seems like a good all-rounder.

I also went with Alfyn as my first, high five

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alfyn is a good boy and he is my friend (and main character pick)

I thought I'd like Cyrus more but his overall setup kinda bored me, and I ended up liking Alfyn's whole "I'm going to help people with an aw-shucks attitude but secretly I'm cold as ice and will sass a giant snake before and after beating the poo poo out of it with an axe" thing.

I hope the experience scaling for lower-level party members is significant because I'm sure I'll be switching up my party constantly.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

-Warlord
-Enchanter
-Augur
-Rune Lord

Although these apparently came from Nintendo France so they might not be the official english names.

Give me that late title card switch to Dodecapath Traveler.

I know the names won’t work.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

MMF Freeway posted:

-Warlord
-Enchanter
-Augur
-Rune Lord

Hell yeah!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Primrose will be Khaleesi

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ethiser posted:

Give me that late title card switch to Dodecapath Traveler.

I know the names won’t work.

The new and improved game OCTOPATHINGS TRAVELLER will introduce 4 new characters:

Irenicus
Nobunaga
Golbez
(Mr.)Satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

MMF Freeway posted:

-Warlord
-Enchanter
-Augur
-Rune Lord

Twelve jobs for twelve gods?