Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

EvilMerlin posted:

Are you purposely being obtuse?

lurk more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is cool and you are super loving talented.

Have you done anything with 3D printing?

Cheers!

Never to completion. I started learning 3D modelling for precision animatronic stuff (because large custom animatronic eyes are hard to make without, and I was doing a project that needed eyes with a huge diameter), but because I'm super fussy and need to be at every stage of the process, and access to high end printers is pretty much impossible to get unless you're part of a university or company which owns one, it never progressed beyond modelling. :barf: to say it, but I needed the ~~fidelity~~. That project's been on ice for about 6 years now, though I learned a new technique that might pass as a solution.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
beet put dog cam in the OP please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTfKYDIhlVE

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Xaerael posted:

Cheers!

Never to completion. I started learning 3D modelling for precision animatronic stuff (because large custom animatronic eyes are hard to make without, and I was doing a project that needed eyes with a huge diameter), but because I'm super fussy and need to be at every stage of the process, and access to high end printers is pretty much impossible to get unless you're part of a university or company which owns one, it never progressed beyond modelling. :barf: to say it, but I needed the ~~fidelity~~. That project's been on ice for about 6 years now, though I learned a new technique that might pass as a solution.

Have you done monocles?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68deEAd37Zs

also

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UIA8xOVcOs

BEAR CAM BEAR CAM BEAR CAM

(Currently no bears)

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

G0RF posted:

MMORPG: Is Crowdfunding Bad?

quote:

It worked out for Crowfall, but plenty of other projects haven’t been as successful. Star Citizen has reportedly had issues with integrating their first-person combat engine with their flight sim engine.

This is weird. As far as I can tell, Crowfall isn’t out either, it’s still in a long development, still in pre-alpha (which might mean something different from SC’s Pre Alpha), no clear release date. But in the topsy turvy world of crowd funded MMOs, that’s success!

No wonder SC is getting away with it.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Have you done monocles?

No, but I did make a big fat cigar prop once!

e.

ACTUALLY. Yes. I HAVE made monocles before. Actual real monocles though, because I was a professional ophthalmic technician for about 8 years before the career nearly killed me through boredom. Self employment is way better, if less lucrative.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 6, 2018

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:yikes:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

To this day I still do not understand their fascinations with Uncle Derek's junk.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Colostomy Bag posted:

To this day I still do not understand their fascinations with Uncle Derek's junk.

Like all forms of Goonfear, it's just Citizens projecting their own insecurities and frustrations outward.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xaerael posted:

Cheers!

What size eyeballs are we talking about? Are you aware of the latest DLP printers out there like the Anycubic Photon? I happen to own one if you want to try something. The build volume isn't huge (3"x6"x6" or so), but the part quality is incredible.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

doingitwrong posted:

This is weird. As far as I can tell, Crowfall isn’t out either, it’s still in a long development, still in pre-alpha (which might mean something different from SC’s Pre Alpha), no clear release date. But in the topsy turvy world of crowd funded MMOs, that’s success!

No wonder SC is getting away with it.

Crowfall seems to be making steady progress. I played the hunger dome pre-alpha in 2016 with some dudes. It wasn't horrible, but not good enough to keep my interest.

They have their own super-whales, one of which I encountered. It wasn't the same kind of dichotomy, because in his case it actually was an investment into the company and they threw in all the JPG castles as a perk.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

Roberts talking bollocks for years has probably got something to do with it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I draw the line at a video card that costs more than a console and buttcoin miners may make it so I never replace my 970.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Is that a skexis head? My mother loved that movie.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

CrazyLoon posted:

also, while looking this poo poo up :laffo: at that dude who was like '1080ti is 30% better than 980ti, scrub!'

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/nvidia-turing-release-date-2952823

Welp, time to break out the piggybank again, cuz 1080Ti will be trash in 2 months time! Tho yea, at least you get something for paying 700-800 bucks every 2 or 3 years, unlike SC where you still only get a broken tech demo for paying 30-40k bucks over 5-6 years.

As with all computer technology, decide your budget first, then work with that. GPUs are currently owned by the dumbfuck bitcoin market; a generational step means that you mine xx% more coins than anyone else not upgrading their planetkiller farms. This is also why you do not buy second user, unless the warranty is transferable, because those ponies have been rid hard.

I'm watching the 1080TI market like a hawk at the moment, but it's still overvalued until the buttcoin horde have moved on.

McGiggins posted:

<suddenly feels age set in>

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Hav posted:

As with all computer technology, decide your budget first, then work with that. GPUs are currently owned by the dumbfuck bitcoin market; a generational step means that you mine xx% more coins than anyone else not upgrading their planetkiller farms. This is also why you do not buy second user, unless the warranty is transferable, because those ponies have been rid hard.

Thanks for this note. I think 20 years back I still remember my brother always buying used and being fine, but yea...nowadays, I can imagine with the frikking coins it's not an option anymore. :(

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Colostomy Bag posted:

In their minds, Derek Smart is inexorably linked to Star Citizen and Robbers.

Derek's game is bad, therefore Star Citizen is good.
Derek is a failure, therefore Roberts is a success.
Derek's junk is small, therefore Robert's is large.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvilMerlin posted:

Are you purposely being obtuse?

Maybe he is being acute or oblique!

In other news, just watched the mini-ATV.

So, what do we hear... OCS is coming... again. FPS AI is coming... again. Oh yeah, AI is needed for SQ42, which makes one wonder how they were going to release SQ42 all those years ago.

New locations might be coming.

Showing off blowing up rocks... ok.

A bit of FPS combat with NPCs, although it could be players, no way to know they are not cheating, but didn't see the characters do much either way. Amazing though, getting FPS combat against NPCs after 6 years, in a game engine designed for FPS combat against NPCs....

And, the creme de la creme, showing off the exciting upcoming feature..... blowing up stationary sattelites!

Can you contain your excitement???

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 6, 2018

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

It's tribalism at its finest. "We are the good guys, the others must, by definition, be the bad guys"

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slow_Moe posted:

It's tribalism at its finest. "We are the good guys, the others must, by definition, be the bad guys"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What size eyeballs are we talking about? Are you aware of the latest DLP printers out there like the Anycubic Photon? I happen to own one if you want to try something. The build volume isn't huge (3"x6"x6" or so), but the part quality is incredible.

a.ni.me eyes

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm not a fan of the new Surface Detail gimmick. Can't he just post balls and get banned again already?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just a thought about the NPC FPS AI.... erm... wasn't subsiblisumption meant to handle all of this sort of thing anyway? NPCs acting like real players, reacting to the environment. Why does it sound like they are making a separate system for this? Shouldn't it all be programmed into sillysumption? They like to use that word a lot, so why are they not saying sillystringsumption when talking about it?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It'd need to be bigger in one dimension. The 6x6 is perfect, but the easiest way to describe it is as if it were a perfect 6" diameter sphere with about a 1/3 slice removed, and a complex interior. You can kinda get a clue on what the Sphere would look like in this clip... just way bigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz6tBluy1Vo

The detail accuracy on that printer you mention, though, is very impressive. What's the material like to file/drill/sand? Being resin, I'm imagining better than the filament printer stuff?

McGiggins posted:

It is. I actually got contacted personally by, and retweeted by Brian Henson back in the day, without any prompting. Super proud life moment.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Yeah, sounds like they feel grief. Hopefully they can fund a DS nad slider.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Holy poo poo today is July Blog Independence Day.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Agony Aunt posted:

Just a thought about the NPC FPS AI.... erm... wasn't subsiblisumption meant to handle all of this sort of thing anyway? NPCs acting like real players, reacting to the environment. Why does it sound like they are making a separate system for this? Shouldn't it all be programmed into sillysumption? They like to use that word a lot, so why are they not saying sillystringsumption when talking about it?

I think you are forgetting this is a tier 0 implementation. Any time you have any concerns about any game system in Star Citizen just remember tier 0.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

MedicineHut posted:

Holy poo poo today is July Blog Independence Day.

And in 8 days people born will feel unimaginable pain.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

kilus aof posted:

I think you are forgetting this is a tier 0 implementation. Any time you have any concerns about any game system in Star Citizen just remember tier 0.

There are game systems in Star Citizen?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Happy July Blog 3yr Anniversary everyone! :toot:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1015234704709246976

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Never before in the history of the internet has one man been so far up his own rear end.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

Never before in the history of the internet has one man been so far up his own rear end.

That Kazan?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Xaerael posted:

It'd need to be bigger in one dimension. The 6x6 is perfect, but the easiest way to describe it is as if it were a perfect 6" diameter sphere with about a 1/3 slice removed, and a complex interior. You can kinda get a clue on what the Sphere would look like in this clip... just way bigger.

The detail accuracy on that printer you mention, though, is very impressive. What's the material like to file/drill/sand? Being resin, I'm imagining better than the filament printer stuff?

It is. I actually got contacted personally by, and retweeted by Brian Henson back in the day, without any prompting. Super proud life moment.

Just to bandwagon a bit, your shits drat impressive, and its a shame life gets in the way of spending more time with it.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

There are game systems in Star Citizen?

There is the enter credit card information system on the website.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

kilus aof posted:

There is the enter credit card information system on the website.

:boom:

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Happy blogaversary!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xaerael posted:

Yeah, it's fantastic. It's a brittle plastic so you'd want to go so slow if you tried to thread it, but filing and sanding are great. I made this part last week and this is with no post processing whatsoever, just a coat of sandable automotive primer:

As built they're a white plastic. You can also do gray, black, translucent green, or translucent yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
You're not old hav. :glomp:

Update on my lab-grown star citizers.

They are both not impressed with the progress and the bugs and do not have a large amount of faith in the project any more. They are, after extended conversational goon-wrangling, freely open about their growing concerns for lack of oversight and accountability for the project.

The nice citizer is very friendly, and after extended discourse I have infiltrated his "not a goon" circle of trusted gaming people. We're going to play actual real space game Space Engineers, a game which he has not tried for some time, and I casually suggested a server I occasionally frequent, the goon-owned and -operated Analpound, Town And Associates server.

With any luck, this citizers dreams of non-consensual space adventure can be realized in a safe, jpeg free environment.