Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

signalnoise posted:

The best cover shooter was Vanquish

Hugely correct and not unpopular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Oscar Wild posted:

Hugely correct and not unpopular.

Sorry, the WORST cover shooter was Vanquish because it isn't representative of the genre as a whole

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

signalnoise posted:

Sorry, the WORST cover shooter was Vanquish because it isn't representative of the genre as a whole

*presses 'throw cigarette'*

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The early God of War games were really just DMC clones.

Also rip offs can be better than the originals.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

*presses 'throw cigarette'*

No smoking on the ship.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm not sure it's possible to have a more ridiculous rage-fueled protagonist than Doomguy, but more games should try. Kratos doesn't even come close. I'd like God of War more of it was more frantic and slaughtery and the guy just ripped those demons apart with his bare hands and beat them to death with their own legs or something. Give me a protagonist that is a mix of like Doomguy, Rorschach, and Rick from Splatterhouse.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

signalnoise posted:

I'm not sure it's possible to have a more ridiculous rage-fueled protagonist than Doomguy, but more games should try. Kratos doesn't even come close. I'd like God of War more of it was more frantic and slaughtery and the guy just ripped those demons apart with his bare hands and beat them to death with their own legs or something. Give me a protagonist that is a mix of like Doomguy, Rorschach, and Rick from Splatterhouse.

Speaking of Splatterhouse, more games should have their female lead(s) in tastefully nude centerfold shots.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I loving loved the DmC reboot game and I cannot wait for the sequel.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

fruit on the bottom posted:

The early God of War games were really just DMC clones.

Also rip offs can be better than the originals.

The God of War games weren't DMC games, but hack-n-slash.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

Speaking of Splatterhouse, more games should have their female lead(s) in tastefully nude centerfold shots.

Can you believe those idiots used Shaundi for that project before Saints Row 3's Shaundi

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

punk rebel ecks posted:

The God of War games weren't DMC games, but hack-n-slash.

DMC is hack-and-slash

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Wait, how many pages has it been since people fought over genre definitions. Is it too soon for this again?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I can tell you for sure ITS NOT AN RPG

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

signalnoise posted:

Prototype nailed this i dont think it was popular either so probably thread apropriate.

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
SWTOR was much, much better at launch.
The original Tracer Missile animation is the greatest gaming creation ever made.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

signalnoise posted:

No smoking on the ship.

Reminds me that The Ship was one of the most tragically forgotten multiplayer experiences I've ever had. Amazingly fun, super interesting premise. Basically Agatha Christie-esque murder simulator where a few dozen players run around old timey cruise ships with a target that they have to kill without being spotted, while simultaneously being hunted.

The best was when it was just two players left but you both get spotted trying to kill each other, get thrown in jail with all your weapons confiscated and you both start desperately searching the cell for the single randomly generated shiv to mercilessly jab the other one to death. Good times.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

IncelThreadGasser posted:

The original Tracer Missile animation is the greatest gaming creation ever made.

Oh no not you

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

I'd rather just read a book

torment is a book

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

signalnoise posted:

The best cover shooter was Vanquish

the best cover shooter was Max Payne 3

because you never needed to use the cover

e: and also it had this track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEH_LSL4rVw

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Excelzior posted:

You needed the cover in vanquish????? bro bro bro

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

IncelThreadGasser posted:

SWTOR was completely ruined by the expansions when they decided that instead of staying inside the Old Republic, possibly the richest storytelling environment ever created in any medium, they'd go to some other empire the Sith Emperor created and force everyone into the same path.

gently caress you assholes I want to be a Sith a run around Tattooine. Fuckers. Idiot fuckers.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

the Old Republic, possibly the richest storytelling environment ever created in any medium

Please get a library card.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Oldstench posted:

Please get a library card.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Announcer: You're on a scenic route through a state recreational area known as the human mind. You ask a passer-by for directions, only to find he has no face or something. Suddenly up ahead, a door in the road. You swerve, narrowly avoiding The Scary Door.

[Scene: A scientist is in a Frankensteinesque laboratory mixing chemicals in a beaker.]

Scientist: I have combined the DNA of the world's richest storytelling environments to make the most rich storytelling environment of them all!!

[A pod reminiscent of the ones from the movie "The Fly" opens with a cloud of steam. It clears, revealing a naked human male.]

Naked Man: It turns out it's the Old Republic.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Excelzior posted:

rear end effect 2-3 are actually good cover shooters in this respect because if you just roll vanguard you can ignore the cover system and it makes both games 1000% better

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

DogonCrook posted:

Prototype nailed this i dont think it was popular either so probably thread apropriate.

prototype was fine but prototype 2 blew it

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

poverty goat posted:

prototype was fine but prototype 2 blew it

Prototype 2 is a good game

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Prototype 2 was really cool

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
said this already before but it bears repeating: we did not need another console after the original Xbox. Been playing through Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future and they're both loving gorgeous. Every game that's good now could have been made using mid-aughts tech and they would have been fine

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

olives black posted:

said this already before but it bears repeating: we did not need another console after the original Xbox. Been playing through Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future and they're both loving gorgeous. Every game that's good now could have been made using mid-aughts tech and they would have been fine

I don't know, man. I think PS4 and Xbox One games a million times better than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv7MKCLv0Us

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

The Dennis System posted:

I don't know, man. I think PS4 and Xbox One games a million times better than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv7MKCLv0Us

higher poly counts and resolution =! better looking. It's all in the animation and texture work.

bleed Doom 2016 of half of its polygons and it's still a drat good and good-looking game

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

olives black posted:

higher poly counts and resolution =! better looking. It's all in the animation and texture work.

bleed Doom 2016 of half of its polygons and it's still a drat good and good-looking game

They did that and it was, but it still needed a Switch to run which is quite a bit more powerful than an original Xbox.

JSRF gets away with a lot thanks to its art style, and PDO is a rail shooter.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I like video games

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

TheScott2K posted:

They did that and it was, but it still needed a Switch to run which is quite a bit more powerful than an original Xbox.

JSRF gets away with a lot thanks to its art style, and PDO is a rail shooter.

Throw Doom 2016 into a souped up Quake 3 engine and it'd still be great

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Sid Vicious posted:

I like video games

:yikes:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

olives black posted:

Resolution and stuff matters as far as matching the hardware you're using. Texture work can make a game look like poo poo when output at higher resolutions than it's designed for, and low resolution can gently caress up games that look great at higher resolutions and better lighting quality etc, where that better lighting can make a game that had previously good-looking textures look bad.

Great examples of this for each side of that spectrum are Vagrant Story, which was rightly praised for its graphics at the time but with textures that scale VERY badly, and Super Mario Galaxy, which was designed around the basics of color and shape and therefore looks fantastic when emulated at higher resolutions.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 8, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

olives black posted:

Throw Doom 2016 into a souped up Quake 3 engine and it'd still be great

It really wouldn't.

The un-souped-up Quake III engine didn't run particularly well on that hardware, and that was with games designed around its limitations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sid Vicious posted:

I like video games

Lol get a load of this guy

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

olives black posted:

While on one hand I find this ridiculous, in a way I sorta agree. I feel that after Source Engine games (Half-Life 2, CounterStrike: Source, Team Fortress 2), graphical upgrades seem to "wow me" less and less. Similar to 2D games after the CPS2 (Street Fighter Alpha, Vampire Savior). I mean yeah, improvements are definitely noticeable, but I'm can be content with the old technology, and newer and newer stuff seems to "Wow!" me less. There have been select few games this generation that I look at and think to myself "Yeah this is definitely a huge leap graphically from PS3 titles." Well at least from the console ports I played on my PC. There's a reason why Nintendo has found success when they decided to focus on other aspects of hardware other than graphics.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, we don't need video games. If his post was supposed to be some obtuse way of saying "3D games started to look pretty good around the Xbox era" sure. Railing against more modern tech existing just for the hell of it is stupid as gently caress

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 8, 2018