Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The Gundam movie better keep the weird names

Why should they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Why should they?

Because the juxtaposition of fantasy and cartoon weirdness with quasi-realistic space colonization and geopolitics creates an interesting effect. The same reason there should be O'Neill cylinders, but some are inexplicably Western ghost towns or neo-aristocratic fascist states.

Bright Noa
Char Aznable
Zeon Zum Deikun

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 6, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Gundams core theme is "War is a poo poo, pointless meat grinder" which is an easy, universal message.

The live action movie will be this:

in other words a war movie

I mean I dont want to spill my guts on a french beach but you bet i wanna kickflip a nazi's head off

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The election night movie practically spells out the rich uses it to kill poor people and liberal politicians they dislike and that's its crazy and bad

The newest one does spell it out very overtly that the rich use it to kill the poor.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

One of the producers of The Wolf Of Wall Street has been questioned by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Agency for 4 days straight. He is suspected of using tax money received through his mother and stepfather to fund the movie along with Dumb and Dumber To and buying a number of expensive properties in the US in a case also being investigated by the American Dpertment of Justice. His stepfather, the former Prime Minister of Malaysia, was recently arrested for corruption as well.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/07/06/riza-aziz-returns-for-4th-round-of-questioning-at-macc-hq/

Is Zoolander still banned there?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Because the juxtaposition of fantasy and cartoon weirdness with quasi-realistic space colonization and geopolitics creates an interesting effect. The same reason there should be O'Neill cylinders, but some are inexplicably Western ghost towns or neo-aristocratic fascist states.

Bright Noa
Char Aznable
Zeon Zum Deikun

As long as they don't rename Quattro Vagina I'll be there day one.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ookiimarukochan posted:

As long as they don't rename Quattro Vagina I'll be there day one.

Semi Octopussy?

got any sevens posted:

Is Zoolander still banned there?

Maybe. The Daredevil movie was also supposed to be banned but it still gets sold on DVD and bluray.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bright Noa
Char Aznable
Zeon Zum Deikun

They are corruptions of European names anyway. Char Aznable comes from Tomino misremembering French singer Charles Aznavour.

I'm wondering if they'll go with Amuro's hometown being Monterrey California, just so I'm left wondering if his last name is Rey or Reyes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Stupid adults!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SymeWdSey-A

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Gundams core theme is "War is a poo poo, pointless meat grinder" which is an easy, universal message.

The live action movie will be this:

It'd be Gundam as hell if that dude gets vaporized or crushed right after.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Pretty much, the third one was released back in 2010 and failed to make much of an impression on anyone, coming 27th at the domestic box office for the year and making less than Clash of the Titans and The Last Airbender but slightly more than Yogi Bear.

The first one back in 2005, however, was a huge hit and beat Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, War of the Worlds, King Kong and Batman Begins to get second place behind Revenge of the Sith and ever since the production companies got a taste of that sweet sweet cashola you can bet they'll keep chasing it. They know from experience that the franchise can be bigger than Harry Potter, Spielberg/Cruise, King Kong and superheroes if only they can get the mix juuuuust right so here we go for a 4th movie, except that 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe' is the only book in the series that most people remember and almost no one can even name any of the other books let alone give two shits about them so the response is pretty much guaranteed to be a giant :shrug: again.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe probably did so well because 1) it’s a recognizable brand and 2) Return of the King came out in 2003 and audiences were chasing that high fantasy dragon, and Narnia had at least one large LOTR-style battle with monsters and stuff, I don’t think audiences care as much about fantasy battles currently.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Young Freud posted:

They are corruptions of European names anyway. Char Aznable comes from Tomino misremembering French singer Charles Aznavour.

I'm wondering if they'll go with Amuro's hometown being Monterrey California, just so I'm left wondering if his last name is Rey or Reyes.

"This is no zaku, boy. No zaku"
-Ramba Ral

Tomino names kick rear end
He named a character SHOT WEAPON. loving Shot Weapon.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 6, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In my experience, you can easily get away with ludicrous puns and other silly character names just by a single language cipher.

Wondering if they'd specifically adapt a particular Gundam series (in which case, Mobile Suit Gundam is the first, while I THINK Gundam Wing is the most popular, though certainly don't hold me to account on that) or make an original instalment that likely combines elements from different ones. Or somewhere in between.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should adapt G Gundam so we can watch a horse pilot a horse robot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tomino names kick rear end
He named a character SHOT WEAPON. loving Shot Weapon.

Wasn't there one called "Hallelujah Baptism" in one of them?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In my experience, you can easily get away with ludicrous puns and other silly character names just by a single language cipher.

Wondering if they'd specifically adapt a particular Gundam series (in which case, Mobile Suit Gundam is the first, while I THINK Gundam Wing is the most popular, though certainly don't hold me to account on that) or make an original instalment that likely combines elements from different ones. Or somewhere in between.

Gundam Wing is massively popular relative to MS:gundam in the west, thanks to the 00s anime craze, but since China is now also a massive movie market I think theyre more likely going to do a Universal Century mashup.

(Universal century is the timeline of the first gundam and its direct sequels.)

Lol if they pick SEED and thay have to render gundam jesus in his full glory tho

^^Allelujah Haptism.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 6, 2018

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Hopefully it would be a story in the Gundam UC Timeline and not a direct adaptation of an existing property but I already know that isn't going to happen.

I just want to see a colony drop on the big screen.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

but will there be black people piloting 'dams cuz that could really change the game

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

except that 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe' is the only book in the series that most people remember and almost no one can even name any of the other books let alone give two shits about them so the response is pretty much guaranteed to be a giant :shrug: again.

Hey, I remember! The Silver Chair and Voyage of the Dawn Treader was some good poo poo!

They could also try adapting The Magicians Nephew if they wanted some of that Fantastic Beasts money though the last few chapters go off the rails a bit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gundam Unicorn had the villainous FULL FRONTAL, which is a name, sure.

They need to change all those names to make them proper anyway. No Side business.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I never did see the multiple personality movie m night did, though I did enjoy Unbreakable. Wondering how...necessary the Glass movie is going to be

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked Gundam Wing best when I was little. It's not as good as original Gundam, but for whatever reason it was the one that took off.

It benefited a lot from poor competition. For a long while, the Toonami line up was shows like Thundercats, Reboot, 90s Johnny Quest. Gundam Wing's story might be trite, but the fact that it even had pretensions of being "serious" set it apart. It's character and mechanical designs might be middle school pandering, but compared to Voltron (which was on Toonami about a year before) they were drat near high fashion.

The original Gundam is almost unarguably the better show, but on a stylistic level it was closer to 60s Johnny Quest. It couldn't compete.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The original Gundam story is a pretty easy sell, being kind of a mix of Star Wars and WWII in space. You'd need to change a few things here to make a tighter movie trilogy, but any good script writer could do it easily.

Like, here's the first movie:
- A new take on the opening narration to set up the stakes. Colony Drop over the opening credits.
- Attack on Side 7, Amuro gets in the Gundam
- The survivors of the Colony find themselves crewing the new ship White Base because most of the crew died in the sneak attack. We now have a crew of inexperienced people trying to escape to Earth with the prototype.
- First battle against Char.
- Refueling at Luna 2, Captain Paolo dies and Bright takes over, preparing for atmospheric descent.
- Intense battle while going into the atmosphere.
- Char teams up with Garma while the crew figures out where they are and where they need to go.
- Final battle of the movie, where Garma dies.
- Epilogue, with Gihren's speech if an actor for Gihren can be found who'd do the other movies.

It cuts some cruft but mostly follows the original, follows a three-act structure and can easily be followed by anyone not familiar with the series. The second and third movies whould need more changes but it's doable. All you need is a good scriptwriter and a good director.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Schwarzwald posted:

It benefited a lot from poor competition. For a long while, the Toonami line up was shows like Thundercats, Reboot, 90s Johnny Quest. Gundam Wing's story might be trite, but the fact that it even had pretensions of being "serious" set it apart. It's character and mechanical designs might be middle school pandering, but compared to Voltron (which was on Toonami about a year before) they were drat near high fashion.

I don't recall exactly what the competition was, but I distinctly remember Gundam Wing and DBZ being the two big anime series Cartoon Network had at the time. I also remember the other channels trying to get in on the action to varying degrees of success; Fox Kids had Sailor Moon and tried really hard to pitch it as an action show for boys in all the advertising.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Schwarzwald posted:

They also aired it "Uncut" at midnight, with blood and all the PG level cusses intact. That made it VERY serious, high drama ART.

(I still have affection for it, knowing it is not good.)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

but will there be black people piloting 'dams cuz that could really change the game

welcome to earth

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

JethroMcB posted:

They also aired it "Uncut" at midnight, with blood and all the PG level cusses intact. That made it VERY serious, high drama ART.

(I still have affection for it, knowing it is not good.)

Every now and then I think about rewatching it but I feel like seeing it for the mediocre teen angst cartoon that it really is won't come close to recapturing the magic that it had for 13-year-old me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's probably worth noting, as well, that most of us watched Gundam Wing on Toonami as children. It being middle school pandering was fine, because we were all in middle school or even younger (I was like 6 or 7 personally, I remember Toonami being mostly a thing when I was in first-second-third grade).

Like, you really have to judge that stuff by the standards of kids shows at the time, and it was a loving light in the darkness where kids shows were concerned. As an adult show it's still, like, okay, but it was a loving revelation watching Gundam Wing as a kid.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Gundam will feature the first completely black female blockbuster cast.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

starring scar jo

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sirotan posted:

Every now and then I think about rewatching it but I feel like seeing it for the mediocre teen angst cartoon that it really is won't come close to recapturing the magic that it had for 13-year-old me.

I can watch a clip on Youtube now and again and think "Hell yeah, explosions, robot noises, Lady Une just threw that guy out of a freakin' plane and shot him in the face!" but I don't wanna invest 20 hours into the whole series in my 30's.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't recall exactly what the competition was, but I distinctly remember Gundam Wing and DBZ being the two big anime series Cartoon Network had at the time. I also remember the other channels trying to get in on the action to varying degrees of success; Fox Kids had Sailor Moon and tried really hard to pitch it as an action show for boys in all the advertising.

Following Pokemon's success everybody wanted to import an anime on the cheap and hope like hell that they stumbled into some of that sweet Japanimation cash. Fox's Saturday morning lineup circa 2000 was comprised of just about every other monster-themed kid's anime available at the time - Digimon, Medabots, Monster Rancher, Mon Colle Knights.

They also went for the Toonami audience and aired Escaflowne...for about two months, and which was heavily edited not only for content but also downplay the presence of the original female protagonist (See also: Kid's WB's adaptation of Cardcaptor Sakura, a teenage magical girl show which was reedited from the original 70 episode dub into about 40 episodes that outright omitted everything before the first appearance of the male lead. Sensing a trend here?)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

They tried to present a heavily edited Card Captor Sakura as an action show too, mostly by focusing on the male rival and cutting out as much of the gay as they could. (it's still pretty gay) Also his arranged fiance was changed to be his cousin, but in true Sailor Moon fashion that just makes her come off as both.

efb

I think this trend only really ended when 4kids tried to dub One Piece into a young children's show and it as an infamous disaster for all involved.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

The original Gundam story is a pretty easy sell, being kind of a mix of Star Wars and WWII in space. You'd need to change a few things here to make a tighter movie trilogy, but any good script writer could do it easily.

Like, here's the first movie:
- A new take on the opening narration to set up the stakes. Colony Drop over the opening credits.
- Attack on Side 7, Amuro gets in the Gundam
- The survivors of the Colony find themselves crewing the new ship White Base because most of the crew died in the sneak attack. We now have a crew of inexperienced people trying to escape to Earth with the prototype.
- First battle against Char.
- Refueling at Luna 2, Captain Paolo dies and Bright takes over, preparing for atmospheric descent.
- Intense battle while going into the atmosphere.
- Char teams up with Garma while the crew figures out where they are and where they need to go.
- Final battle of the movie, where Garma dies.
- Epilogue, with Gihren's speech if an actor for Gihren can be found who'd do the other movies.

It cuts some cruft but mostly follows the original, follows a three-act structure and can easily be followed by anyone not familiar with the series. The second and third movies whould need more changes but it's doable. All you need is a good scriptwriter and a good director.

You know you're copying the three Gundam film adaptations almost scene for scene.

Of course, I'm wondering where the White Base is going to hide now in that battle against Garma, since the Seattle Superdome got demolished.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Schwarzwald posted:

The original Gundam is almost unarguably the better show, but on a stylistic level it was closer to 60s Johnny Quest. It couldn't compete.
Gundam bored me to tears when it was on. I was really amped to see it when it premiered, but it was a lot slower and less technically impressive than Robotech which was my baseline anime. It was some halfstep between Speed Racer and Robotech, and all the space opera drama didnt land with me. A lot of people must have felt similarly, or had the "where pretty boys be" expectation from Wing because the ratings tanked and CN used 9/11 to put it out of its misery.
It didn't help that it was summer, i was out of school, and the heat made me crash right around when it started, either.
It wasn't until Unicorn that all the UC intrigue stuff started being interesting to me. The Origin also helped get me interested in the time period.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't recall exactly what the competition was, but I distinctly remember Gundam Wing and DBZ being the two big anime series Cartoon Network had at the time.
Technically the competition was Pokemon, but that's really more of an example of Anime having its breakthrough moment in the U.S. and people scrambling to find an equivalent popular series for their own blocks.

Toonami acquired Sailor Moon in 98 after the syndication fell through towards the end of R (when she fights Rubeus' clan). They financed Cloverway's dub to finish it and got crazy returns, allowing them to pick up DBZ and finish the Freeza arc (they took over from Goku's arrival, then I think there was a VA change when he goes SSJ, because I remember it being the worst, most generic white guy voice ever).
And when that got megaton ratings they branched off with Midnight Run in 99, which was a stealth pack of action toons (Robotech played and I lost my poo poo). Summer of 2000 they revamped the weekday Toonami away from their old holdings (Thundercats, etc) which is when they debuted Tenchi Muyo and Gundam Wing. The block got anime heavy in 01 with Big O, Outlaw star, leading to MS Gundam that summer as a Big Event.

By then, Fox Kids had tried to glom on to Anime mania with Digimon and Escaflowne (lol). Kids WB had Pokemon and Cardcaptors. Neither really had a Giant Robot equivalent-- Fox had the Power Rangers, Beast Transformers, Big Guy & Rusty and the afforementioned Escaflowne which disappeared from the lineup very quickly and WB had... uh... Cubix?

Toonami kid of had a good mix there if they were trying to appeal to a wide net of kids. Sailor and Tenchi for the girls, DBZ for boys, Wing for a crossover audience.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember a lot of those just being on Cartoon Network in the UK. I remember them being split off into the short-lived spin-off channel CNX - Cartoon Network X-TREME - along with the HBO Spawn series, assorted martial arts movies and oddities and obscurities like Chris Colorado.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Hey, I remember! The Silver Chair and Voyage of the Dawn Treader was some good poo poo!

Yeah The Silver Chair competes with Dawn Treader for the best of the series but given how they butchered Dawn and its coming out nearly 10 years after the last movie I doubt its going to do welll

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I remember a promo for Toonami that seemed to try to pass Tenchi Muyo as a samurai action show, though it was only for a few seconds. They had Inuyasha as well. The anime boom was a fun ride of frequently misaimed marketing and the reason why nerds hate taking liberties with dubbing so much.

It's not like the 90s were slouches for cartoons actually being pretty good, but anime basically introduced kids back to the idea of shows with beginnings and endings and continuity rather than context-free cartoons. (to an extent, obviously) They come off rightly as cheesy and immature now, but it was filling a niche that nothing else did at the time. (Probably similarly how manga came to dominate market segments that its Western counterpart comic books had abandoned) I don't think networks ever really understood why these shows were popular. (their treatment of them certainly shows) Though nowadays a lot more high-profile cartoons have ongoing continuity and obvious anime influences.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember a promo for Toonami that seemed to try to pass Tenchi Muyo as a samurai action show, though it was only for a few seconds.
They did that with pretty much every show, trying to appeal with whatever action scenes they could edit together. The Moon promos were all Tiara attacks and monsters.

quote:

anime basically introduced kids back to the idea of shows with beginnings and endings and continuity rather than context-free cartoons.
Exo-Squad, Gargoyles and Reboot disagree with you. (Mighty Max technically as well but not by much)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Gundam movie is going to be Wing and the live action version of this scene is going to net the movie an Oscar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Hiz8fEkws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

FilthyImp posted:

(Mighty Max technically as well but not by much)

I know the finale of Mighty Max was probably supposed to entice kids to keep watching the reruns in the hopes that things would turn out better next time, but it comes off as pretty bleak since things weren't going to change when they got to the end of episode 26 again.

Snooze Cruise posted:

The Gundam movie is going to be Wing and the live action version of this scene is going to net the movie an Oscar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Hiz8fEkws

This got bowdlerized to "I'll destroy you" in the non-Midnight Run Toonami version and I actually preferred that one