Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
love 2 exist in a world where you can lose your livelihood by lunchtime because internet videogamesmen threw a snit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Oxxidation posted:

love 2 exist in a world

Ah, see, that was your mistake.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/ifeelrave/status/1015166306767667201

Kojima is just living the good life

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

And if she were a community manager then maybe there would be more of a case for termination

Like this is literally hours after posting that that she was reportedly sacked, unless there was something else behind the scenes this seems like a extremely summary dismissal and another example of devs treating labor like poo poo by immediately appeasing a "partnered streamer" by sacking their salaried employees

That's kind of the thing, right?

She was more hostile than she probably needed to be given the context, but at the same time, I really think firing her was a massive overreaction on ArenaNet's part and it makes me wonder what their priorities really are. I've been on the Guild Wars 2 subreddit and it's a loving cesspool--so are the official forums, but that goes without saying for most games. If those are the people they're trying to appease, I don't want anything to do with that company anymore. (That's easy for me to say, to be fair, because I've been pretty unsatisfied with their game lately anyway, so it's not like I'm taking some actual principled stance or anything.)

This is a situation where a reprimand and an apology would've been enough, but because the official forums and subreddit smelled blood, two people had to be fired. That's loving crazy.

I just can't help but be happy for the dude. He's clearly just living his dream and making weird games with people he admires.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 6, 2018

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
All this reminds me of the time when Blizzard did their annual April Fool's patch notes for WoW and included "All players have been granted an honorary degree in game development. Get to it, since you think you know better"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

exquisite tea posted:

Anyone who has to interact with the general public should practice saying "that's some interesting feedback, I'll take it into consideration" in a way that really means "gently caress you." It's good for your well-being!

that's some interesting feedback, I'll take it into consideration

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that's some interesting feedback, I'll take it into consideration

lol

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
new game by the Zero Escape series creator was announced at the Anime Expo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qARQz82CChc

Supposedly it's about a series of mysterious murders in a near-future Tokyo and deals with AI(Artifical Intelligence), large-scale surveillance and AI(Love).

Probably going also to be batshit crazy timeline hopping or time traveling too, going by the previous series.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I saw that Wii visual novel from like 10 years ago 428 Shibuya or w/e is getting a western release too

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 6, 2018

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like this is literally hours after posting that that she was reportedly sacked, unless there was something else behind the scenes this seems like a extremely summary dismissal and another example of devs treating labor like poo poo by immediately appeasing a "partnered streamer" by sacking their salaried employees

The GW2 people should have just told the nerds she's been fired but not actually fired her, and take no efforts to disguise the fact that she's not fired. When questioned, insist that she was fired and doesn't work for you anymore. Just completely gaslight those goobers forever.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
All my friends are super intersted in Anthem and I don't know why :(

Almost none of them were interested in Mario Odyssey and in fact I don't think a single one of them has played it. I think all my friends need lobotomies

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I saw that Wii visual novel from like 10 years ago 428 Shibya or w/e is getting a western release too

gently caress yeah it is, that game looks awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RUp7nq2C5s

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All I can come up with is that Destiny 2 left a void in the shooter-as-a-service space so there really is demand for a straight clone and they'll take the chance that doesn't suck. Frostbite also looks really pretty.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 6, 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Macaluso posted:

Almost none of them were interested in Mario Odyssey and in fact I don't think a single one of them has played it. I think all my friends need lobotomies

you know what you must do

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Macaluso posted:

If it makes you feel any better, a lot of people at E3 said playing the game gave them a vastly better impression than any of the trailer/conference footage and coverage did.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my friend who liked mario odyssey is also getting interested in anthem as well, balls in your court athiests

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

Anyone who has to interact with the general public should practice saying "that's some interesting feedback, I'll take it into consideration" in a way that really means "gently caress you." It's good for your well-being!

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1014302371805986816

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Is you takin’ notes on a criminal fuckin’ conspiracy?

-rips Metal Gear Solid notes out of Kojima’s hand-

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly Anthem seems like it might not suck but I automatically double my skepticism for any MMO or MMO-lite game, and I double it again for anything Bioware makes, so let's say I'm extremely skeptical and leave it at that. Now that we've seen an actual gameplay demo it looks promising, especially that constantly-flying ice-and-lightning Storm class, but that has basically no bearing on what it'll actually be.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I am more interested in pretty princess dressup in a MMO than anything else. Anthem won't attract me enough if it doesn't cater to my need for accessories.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

If you can't tell people to gently caress off on twitter whats it good for?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i already own destiny 2 and it looks like bungie's going to be updating that for the next 13 years so my needs for a rooty tooty loot n shooty are fulfilled for those 13 years

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
City of Heroes was too good for this world, I miss playing dress up in that

So hey, you know what I remembered?

Sadness, for the Wii

I dunno if that was just a weird scam that never took off or what

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

nobody should post on twitter under their real name

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Heartcatch posted:

I am more interested in pretty princess dressup in a MMO than anything else. Anthem won't attract me enough if it doesn't cater to my need for accessories.

I think they really went in the wrong direction giving everybody generic mech suit armor instead of gaudy sequined dresses and top hats.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Andrast posted:

nobody should post on twitter

ftfy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I think they really went in the wrong direction giving everybody generic mech suit armor instead of gaudy sequined dresses and top hats.

:hai:

Mech suits are cool and all but I'd rather wear fancy clothes tbh. We already have Destiny for a loot-'n-shoot where you look like a robot all the time. Just have the same gameplay in Anthem but switch to full-on fantasy where everyone flies with magic and wears fancy clothes.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

When a game is able to define the differences between satin and georgette, you know it is top tier.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Mech suit armor has plenty of ways it can be customized. The question is whether they'll do it. I like to be a pretty princess, but I also like to be a gundam.

If they sufficiently commit to the jet packs it might turn out okay, but looty shooty games kind of always have trouble with enemies just turning into boring bullet sponges so fun movement or some other gimmick has to compensate. It will also have to be seen how they walk the line of making the suits feel weighty but not sluggish.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Glad my patience paid off and now I have a hacked vita and can play all the PS1 games that I wanted to that didn't make it onto the PSN store

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Macaluso posted:

Destiny 2 was the best selling game of 2017 and that looked like a bland mess that's already $10 to lure more players into their microtransactions and DLCs, so

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

nobody should post on twitter under their real name

Also don't advertise the people you work for. Idk I've never felt the need to let my friends know who signs my paychecks until I no longer work for them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

while fashion in important in videogames, being able to paint yourself in plaid-patterned eye-searing magenta and neon green like a rave threw up on you is the endgame in character customization

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Samuringa posted:

Destiny 2 was the best selling game of 2017 and that looked like a bland mess that's already $10 to lure more players into their microtransactions and DLCs, so

The industrial hype machine for Destiny 2 was real, I've never seen a game crest and fall so quickly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What this whole GW2 thing does is really drive home why so many game studios limit how much their employees can discuss the game with players. It's already hard enough to be the PR face of a company, but doing so without any real PR training and with an audience as volatile and hostile as gamers is extremely difficult.

Of course, Twitter makes that even harder, because even if you're not supposed to discuss the game with players on your personal account, it'd be ridiculous for your company to forbid you from having that personal account, and that means players can probably find you, even if you post under a pseudonym. Yeah, you could go private, but sometimes interacting with people who don't follow you is cool on Twitter.

I work for a pretty big software company but because we don't make games, and instead make software that only big organizations buy and use, I don't have to worry about disgruntled customers yelling at me on Twitter. I guess I take that for granted.

Anyway my take is still that Jessica Price was more hostile than she needed to be--mansplaining is definitely real and toxic but given the context I think that guy was legitimately trying to have a discussion with her about a product she makes and he consumes--but ArenaNet severely overreacted in firing both her and one of her coworkers over a Twitter spat. Nobody comes across worse than the loving GW2 subreddit posters, though, digging up poo poo like Price's totally unrelated opinions about movies to stoke even more hatred.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if your customized character doesn't look like one of toucan dan from monster factory's mutant offspring you're doing it wrong

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it’s more fun to make pretty, stylish characters rather than intentionally ugly or gaudy or aesthetically offensive ones. in my opinion

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

al-azad posted:

Also don't advertise the people you work for. Idk I've never felt the need to let my friends know who signs my paychecks until I no longer work for them.

That's hard to do if you work in an industry where individual people who work on a product are credited (basically any entertainment). Even if Jessica Price didn't advertise on her Twitter that she worked for ArenaNet, her name and what part of the game she worked on would be in the game's credits.

Maybe having a pseudonymous Twitter account would've helped, but this also came about as part of an ArenaNet-run AMA where Jessica Price answered questions about writing characters in GW2, and she was elaborating on some of what she talked about on Twitter when the exchange that got her fired happened.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

it’s more fun to make pretty, stylish characters rather than intentionally ugly or gaudy or aesthetically offensive ones. in my opinion

wait here i'm looking for my hattori hanzo steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cowcaster posted:

while fashion in important in videogames, being able to paint yourself in plaid-patterned eye-searing magenta and neon green like a rave threw up on you is the endgame in character customization

:same:

• Locked thread