Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I love how he's still a cock after being proven wrong. "well a form of ID woulda been nice to validate..."

Dude you're not the pool enforcer

Also imagine trying to get a job now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Richard Bong posted:

I mean maybe I’m just not sufficiently jaded, but I’m just having trouble understanding how he just walks after this. It’s a loving high profile slam dunk for a prosecutor.

got any witnesses that can point him out as driving the car at the moment he struck the victim? no?

ladies and gentlemen of the jury i rest my case

seriously using a car is a nearly foolproof method of getting away with murder, especially in states that require some sort of intent or negligent action as part of the legal statute.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I love how he's still a cock after being proven wrong. "well a form of ID woulda been nice to validate..."

Dude you're not the pool enforcer

Also imagine trying to get a job now

Outside of CBP/ICE, of course.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Smiling Jack posted:

got any witnesses that can point him out as driving the car at the moment he struck the victim? no?

ladies and gentlemen of the jury i rest my case

seriously using a car is a nearly foolproof method of getting away with murder, especially in states that require some sort of intent or negligent action as part of the legal statute.

Didn't he straight up text someone about it though?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

FAUXTON posted:

That could’ve been about anything...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FAUXTON posted:

And sent a picture of the damaged vehicle.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Yup. And yet the cops are saying nothings wrong.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Yup. And yet the cops are saying nothings wrong.

Guy wasn't drunk, wasn't speeding, wasn't texting, and remained on scene.

... so there's not a lot they can do

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It only matters if the cops think he hit a person.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Smiling Jack posted:

Guy wasn't drunk, wasn't speeding, wasn't texting, and remained on scene.

... so there's not a lot they can do

Ah that's the key rub, I thought he hit someone and kept going, in which case, he's a racist shitheel, but technically he didn't break any laws. He should get absolutely buttfucked in civil court though, and I hope he does.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Richard Bong posted:

I don’t understand how fleeing the scene of an accident then snap chatting about killing “some n*gger” isn’t a crime. I know racism is the reason but holy poo poo. How is that cop/prosecutor not getting some kind of federal hammer coming down?

I haven't seen any evidence that the guy fled the scene, just that he was posting about it afterwards. The context of his posts and the conduct of the investigation suggests that he stopped.

As for negligent homicide, it's certainly within the bounds of prosecutorial discretion to not charge him. If the same fact pattern but with black drivers and/or white pedestrians has been treated differently, that's a problem. The information to answer that question is out there, but hasn't been pulled up.

Being a racist shitbag isn't illegal. Being obscenely insensitive about a man's death isn't a hate crime. Calling a dead man the N-word doesn't change his death to murder.

There's probably no federal criminal connection to what happened.

Sometimes being an rear end in a top hat can't be charged as a crime.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

joat mon posted:

I haven't seen any evidence that the guy fled the scene, just that he was posting about it afterwards. The context of his posts and the conduct of the investigation suggests that he stopped.

As for negligent homicide, it's certainly within the bounds of prosecutorial discretion to not charge him. If the same fact pattern but with black drivers and/or white pedestrians has been treated differently, that's a problem. The information to answer that question is out there, but hasn't been pulled up.

Being a racist shitbag isn't illegal. Being obscenely insensitive about a man's death isn't a hate crime. Calling a dead man the N-word doesn't change his death to murder.

There's probably no federal criminal connection to what happened.

Sometimes being an rear end in a top hat can't be charged as a crime.

It can be argued, however, that you can claim to be negligent and largely get away with murder by simply stopping, saying you didn't see the person, and get off Scott free. The texts show that he was at least negligent about what he had just done, and cared very little for the person he hit, it doesn't exactly set the stage for high confidence that he didn't do it on purpose.

Which is part of why the GOP calling for legal protections for people who hit protesters was so outrageous.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 6, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

It can be argued, however, that you can claim to be negligent and largely get away with murder by simply stopping, saying you didn't see the person, and get off Scott free. The texts show that he was at least negligent about what he had just done, and cared very little for the person he hit, it doesn't exactly set the stage for high confidence that he didn't do it on purpose.

Which is part of why the GOP calling for legal protections for people who hit protesters was so outrageous.

Thats evidence of indifference, not negligence. I'm not sure that a prosecutor would ever want to take this to trial if he cared about his win rate at all.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

That Works posted:

One of my favorites is my best friend in Boston. He's just hitting his early 30s, married 4 years ago. He and his wife bought a very small house in a rapidly gentrifying part of Boston and could do so only with the help of their parents on the downpayment. He's a plumber and his wife is some kind of secretary. They have almost no savings and no disposable income and are trying to find ways to get out of the city as soon as they both can. Also my friend had an emergency kidney condition and despite insurance still owes $20-30k in expenses after a prolonged hospital stay.

Their parents give them poo poo constantly for not having kids / just had a huge blowup with them because they decided they won't be having kids (entirely due to finances). Meanwhile his dad is retiring from his lifetime job as a butcher, his mom is a homemaker and they're living off social security and the fact that they sold the house they bought for $100k in 1992 for ~800k last year.

edit:

On the upsides of the southern racist bullshit:

https://twitter.com/exavierpope/status/1015242202149281792

great now he's going to vote for trump in 2020 :rolleye:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I often wonder what my life would have been like if I signed that contract (6 years!) and gone into the Navy enlisted.

Same but emergency management for a few years and now I do statistical research for a private company. Pays good, I'm home every night and I don't have to deal with all the stupid bullshit I read about here. gently caress, all I did was ROTC and the glimpse of stupidity I saw through that program was enough to make me realize it wasn't for me. I don't think my life would have been poo poo had I stuck with it, but I certainly didn't like the direction I was being pointed in and finding out my career options weren't hosed if I stayed a civilian certainly helped.

I also remind myself that for every cool thing I got to do or would get to do, there's a ton of waiting around and bullshit leading up to said cool thing.

Though I do get the occasional feeling of regret for not staying in when I see the loans you guys get for grad school and housing.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Also this thread is far more sane than the D&D one.

Hell yeah.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Japanese prison system is insane. Death row prisoners are lined up every day and stare at a wall until they're told whether or not they're being executed that day. They have a 99% conviction rate because the police take you into an unmonitored room and come out with a signed confession. If you don't give one up immediately that's ok they can hold you for 23 days without charge.

Eej fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 6, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Eej posted:

The Japanese prison system is insane. Death row prisoners are lined up every day and stare at a wall until they're told whether or not they're being executed that day. They have a 99% conviction rate because the police take you into an unmonitored room and come out with a signed confession. If you don't give one up immediately that's ok they can hold you for 23 days without charge.

Yes, but they are also shocking lenient, generally pushing for deals, and most life sentences get paroled with 15 years, and lesser charges than murder often within 10, and they have far less prosecutors per capita than the US.

They just need another Shibushi Case to really hammer the nail on their interrogation tactics, and the Japanese Bar is pushing hard to revamp interrogation tactics.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Eej posted:

That said, motherfucker richly deserved death.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Eej posted:

Ignore the blood on the signed confession

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Mark Karpeles of Magic the Gathering Online Exchange spent months in a japanese prison and came out skinny and ended up with more money than he ever had while running the exchange because of other bitcoin fraudsters pumping up the price.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Oh hey, how's that sick world cup dunk on Germany working out for you, Brazil? :)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Eej posted:

This guy wasn't staring at much

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

womp womp

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

gently caress

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CommieGIR posted:

Is this for real? I'm pretty sure in NZ you hit and kill someone, you're facing manslaughter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Is this for real? I'm pretty sure in NZ you hit and kill someone, you're facing manslaughter.

In all possible circumstances? NZ is "reasonable doubt" for criminal offenses like other common law countries right?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If you do it in New Hampshire then it means you have to buy car insurance.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

In all possible circumstances? NZ is "reasonable doubt" for criminal offenses like other common law countries right?

I mean, that's how it was explained to me, I'm not a lawyer, etc.
I guess if you had two people in the car and no other witnesses you could get away with it but in general, there aren't a lot of examples I can recall of someone getting away with accidentally killing someone with a car.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Another line that encapsulates today's Republican party:

quote:

Thousand Points of Light.’ What does that mean? I know one thing: ‘Make America Great Again’ we understand. Putting America first we understand. ‘Thousand Points of Light,’ I never quite got that one. What the hell is that? Has anyone ever figured that one out? It was put out by a Republican, wasn’t it?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

If you're street racing or drunk
Know you have bad brakes and go driving and crash? Careless driving resulting in death - three months max. There was some discussion of whether the knowing bad brakes could have been charged as manslaughter.

NZ probably has a standard workable commonlaw definition of manslaughter - having a draconian strict liability definition of manslaughter seems out of character.

e:
For a situation like this, NZ manslaughter would be:
the killing of any person by any unlawful act or an omission without lawful excuse to perform or observe any legal duty.
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1961/0043/137.0/DLM329302.html

ee:
to make the "omission without lawful excuse to perform or observe any legal duty" part (which would be the applicable part here) you've got to establish that the conduct was a major departure from the standard of care expected of a reasonable person in charge or control of a vehicle. E.g., guy kills another boater with his jetski. Guy didn't read instructions on how to turn the jetski, didn't keep a lookout, and was going too fast.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 6, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yo

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862429

let's help mcnally

JUSTICE FOR CIVIL WAR VETS

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2016/aug/23/penguin-promoted-to-brigadier-by-norwegian-kings-guard-video

Smile and wave, boys, smile and wave.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Another line that encapsulates today's Republican party:

hahahaholy poo poo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Glenn Greenwald interviewed by Russia Today:

https://twitter.com/johnjcook/statu...ingawful.com%2F

:allears:

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Milo and POTUS posted:

This guy wasn't staring at much

:golfclap:

lurking in this thread > participating in DnD.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Every non-mil person that reads the CE thread should walk away with this angle.

I thought that's what the Let's talk about Idiots thread is for

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Pretty much every thread in gip is a warning of some sort.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Medium usually sucks, but here's a great insight into how screwed our civilization is:
https://medium.com/s/futurehuman/survival-of-the-richest-9ef6cddd0cc1

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Immanentized posted:

Medium usually sucks, but here's a great insight into how screwed our civilization is:
https://medium.com/s/futurehuman/survival-of-the-richest-9ef6cddd0cc1

loving guillotines. Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Anyone else kinda wonder what happened to Caro when he got back to the States?

• Locked thread