Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You don't get to take the duals for free. They're drafted as part of the pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I finished KCI combo. that deck is stupid. I played awful and went 3-1 at the modern event at my LGS tonight. My single loss was to Jund. I feel I had a chance even in that match barring a bunch of misplays on my part. The deck is fun to play but I'm sure being on the other side of the table is loving awful. I'm going to play it enough to hopefully do well in a $1k event at the end of the month and then not torture people at my LGS. I feel like this is a deck that warps the meta to devoting a ton of sideboard slots against it like Twin did and they'll either try to update the rules to take away the overpayment "trick" or just ban something.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For those that aren't aware, the overpayment trick is that if you're doing something that requires a mana payment, you can use as many mana abilities as you want while you're doing that, and any non-mana triggered abilities won't get put on the stack until afterwards. So for example, you can sacrifice two Myr Retrievers to KCI, and each one will be able to pick up the other (since they're both in the graveyard when the triggered abilities actually go on the stack). You couldn't do that without the overpayment trick.

Now, the whole main reason you can even use mana abilities while you're casting something in the first place is that back in the day, people were real sticklers for rules, and judges were handing out DQs for putting your spell on the table before tapping your lands. So they reworked the rules so that actually, doing things in that order is totally fine. Nowadays though, they wouldn't have had to do that, since it would have all been fine under out-of-order sequencing. So they could just get rid of it entirely, which would also solve some other unintuitive interactions.

You'd still have complications with paying mana as part of the resolution of a spell or ability though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If overpaying to sac myr retrievers for free is a problem they'll ban cards not change the rules. Any rule change that prevented it would be extremely messy and basically nonfunctional on mtgo

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Holy poo poo that basic land slot thing is a loving catastrophe waiting to happen. If someone trains packs in a draft at an LGS and something goes wrong it's going to be impossible to sort poo poo out when some packs start with 14 cards and some with 15. Hopefully everyone zone drafts locally!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

uPen posted:

If my basic land gets replaced by a common dual and I get another common dual in a common slot can I take both and pass a 12 card pack first pick?

that can't happen, they ONLY show up in the basic slot

honestly, every LGS will just tell players to leave the Bolas token in and be done with it. I'm sure there will be an announcement making that the official policy within a week of release

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 6, 2018

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Bolas token will probably be like 1 in 100

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'll only accept Garuda with the enchantment that makes 3/4 bird tokens.

Seriouspost I played Storm Haven as my first deck because it was the only one that wasn't embarassing on its face (and even it had some goofy anatomy for its cleric girl art).

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

little munchkin posted:

hoogland is an annoying dork but you can't really fault him for this when there's a handful of mentally ill people who follow him around online and harass him (but it's ok because he was "salty" one too many times)

Not a nice thing to say about your fellow goons.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Katana Gomai posted:

that can't happen, they ONLY show up in the basic slot

honestly, every LGS will just tell players to leave the Bolas token in and be done with it. I'm sure there will be an announcement making that the official policy within a week of release

Foil duals can appear in a common slot

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Serifina posted:

Foil duals can appear in a common slot

are you sure or just guessing? anyways lol if so and obviously you shouldn't take two cards. As I said, I reckon most LGSs will just draft the Bolas token

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

New rules update is out. As usual, there's nothing particularly interesting, but it fixes the Squee/Ixalan's Binding interaction, for those of you who play Standard but don't play with Bomat Courier

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

New rules update is out. As usual, there's nothing particularly interesting, but it fixes the Squee/Ixalan's Binding interaction, for those of you who play Standard but don't play with Bomat Courier

I am glad someone any amount of time making sure squee wasn't TOO powerful instead of virtually anything else.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
So can you cast squee from under binding now or not? Follow up question, can you do it on mtgo anyway?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
A bunch of new standard decks from the Hareruya pros. The zombie list looks fun.

http://www.hareruyamtg.com/article/en/category/detail/348

Tainen fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 6, 2018

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rinkles posted:

Is LSV leaving LR? Hasn't been on for a while, and didn't do the M19 review.

rumour is there's some negotiations with the cfb sponsorship? I don't think that Marshal's mentioned them on the last couple episodes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lone Goat posted:

rumour is there's some negotiations with the cfb sponsorship? I don't think that Marshal's mentioned them on the last couple episodes.

Yeah he posted it on Reddit somewhere.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

I am glad someone any amount of time making sure squee wasn't TOO powerful instead of virtually anything else.

Oh no, the Rules Manager removed a counterintuitive interaction

How terrible

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elyv posted:

Huh, looks like they've flip-flopped on token ownership again. Hunted Dragon + Brand is back on the menu.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Elyv posted:

quote:

110.5a

The owner of a card is the player who started the game with that card in their deck. But what about tokens? They don't start in your deck, not unless you're doing something very wrong. Up until now, the owner of a token has been the player under whose control it entered the battlefield. We've been considering changing the rule ever since token creation was retemplated to use the "create" technology, but there was never really a good place to put it. Well, hey, core sets are a great place for small updates just like this! Now, the owner of a token is the player who created it, no matter what Crafty Cutpursesays

This is a reversal in ruling/policy.
This "new" way used to be the old way, as there was something to do with the Hunted creatures from original Ravnica interacting with a card like Homeward Path. (Thought it was Brooding Saurian, but it says non-token for I believe exactly this reason)

Edit: motherfucker ^
I had this written out for ages but was making sure I didn't wanna comment on anything else.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tainen posted:

A bunch of new standard decks from the Hareruya pros. The zombie list looks fun.

http://www.hareruyamtg.com/article/en/category/detail/348

Doesn't 26 lands sound a lot for this sort of deck? Even with 6 5-drops. It does look fun but maybe it wants to go closer to the ground?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/chrishanrahan/status/1015274631198994433

heh

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

As far as I understand it, M25 is the only recent set sold in EU that was printed on the US, so shouldn't affect much.
American cardstock is typically the worst, so we (EU) should be ok.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Old news to everyone else but I just found out about the China Decks fiasco and just lmao

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

precision posted:

Old news to everyone else but I just found out about the China Decks fiasco and just lmao

China decks fiasco?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Buffis posted:

As far as I understand it, M25 is the only recent set sold in EU that was printed on the US, so shouldn't affect much.
American cardstock is typically the worst, so we (EU) should be ok.

we have an extra 10% on magic cards here in Canada starting with Core set 19 lol.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mezzanon posted:

we have an extra 10% on magic cards here in Canada starting with Core set 19 lol.

I thought Canadian cards were from the European stock (because of bilingualism)

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

AnEdgelord posted:

China decks fiasco?

The contents of the Global Deck series are standard legal, which means there are a few planeswalkers that are only legal in China.

Not sure what that means for MTG in Tibet/Taiwan/etc.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kurtofan posted:

I thought Canadian cards were from the European stock (because of bilingualism)

Man that'd be awesome if Canadian Magic cards were French on the back, just like our cereal boxes.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

The contents of the Global Deck series are standard legal, which means there are a few planeswalkers that are only legal in China.

Luckily, they're garbage.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jabor posted:

Huh, looks like they've flip-flopped on token ownership again. Hunted Dragon + Brand is back on the menu.

mehall posted:

This is a reversal in ruling/policy.
This "new" way used to be the old way, as there was something to do with the Hunted creatures from original Ravnica interacting with a card like Homeward Path. (Thought it was Brooding Saurian, but it says non-token for I believe exactly this reason)

This does not appear to be a reversal or a reversion to the "old" rules. Forbidden Orchard, Hunted creatures, etc. typically are oracle worded with "opponent creates", so they would still be owned by your opponent.

The edge case of playing a Hunted creature, but stealing the tokens with Crafty Cutpurse is changing. While the player that the tokens come into play under changes (which would have previously changed the ownership), the "creating player" does not (so, now your opponent will still own the creatures they create under your control).

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

They're standard legal only in Mainland China, but sold worldwide iirc. The point is to break into China's market but I think magic is already played in Taiwan.

It's deliberately bad cards with new art and names but all functionally worse than what you could play in standard. I feel like making a lot of deliberately bad cards is a good way to turn people off of magic not to mention they have the awkward "legal only in mainland china" text, but who knows why WOTC does what they do.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

Rinkles posted:

Is LSV leaving LR? Hasn't been on for a while, and didn't do the M19 review.

I wish I hadn't bothered digging this up from Reddit but it's an interesting angle. I thought today's set review was still good and I'd truck on with LR without him, as much as I'd also be really keen to hear him do his own thing. I don't know how welcome drama chat is here but I value his MTG opinions even more after reading this salacious bit of gossip. That's a value play.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Doesn't 26 lands sound a lot for this sort of deck? Even with 6 5-drops. It does look fun but maybe it wants to go closer to the ground?

I’m thinking it’s because you want to hit every land drop so that when you eventually play Liliana you have enough mana to empty your graveyard.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/sickofit/status/1015296610023059456

I guess there's some sort of movement happening on twitter in regards to pro players and them wanting more money?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Look at all the 4cmc and above cards in a deck with no acceleration. 25 is required at the very least.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CFB and Marshall are having a sponsorship dispute, and as goes CFB so goes Luis. Per Marshall.

Don't bring that freemagic poo poo around here.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

MrBling posted:

https://twitter.com/sickofit/status/1015296610023059456

I guess there's some sort of movement happening on twitter in regards to pro players and them wanting more money?

Lol nobody will miss them and an endless line of new young hopefully will take their place no matter the treatment. :cb:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

number one pta fan posted:

I wish I hadn't bothered digging this up from Reddit but it's an interesting angle. I thought today's set review was still good and I'd truck on with LR without him, as much as I'd also be really keen to hear him do his own thing. I don't know how welcome drama chat is here but I value his MTG opinions even more after reading this salacious bit of gossip. That's a value play.

I got this far

quote:

This is a wide open and unmoderated subreddit

and immediately closed the window, get that garbage outta here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol nobody will miss them and an endless line of new young hopefully will take their place no matter the treatment. :cb:

I would love to see some of these resumes he has worked on for pro magic players