Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

WoW vanilla is kind of fun to revisit every now and then for the novelty of it all but around level 35-40 it starts to become very obvious why nobody wants to play that kind of game anymore.

I'd played MMORPGs before WoW came out (mostly Nexus: Kingdom of the Winds which I was mega-addicted to for like two summers in high school, but also a little bit of EverQuest and a couple months of FFXI) and I remember WoW loving blew my mind when it came out. The idea of leveling through narrative solo questing instead of grouping with a bunch of people and grinding mobs in the corner of a map somewhere was crazy exciting to me. I couldn't really play it for a few months after it came out because my university's firewall made the latency nuts but eventually they fixed that, and even back then I got bored around level 30ish. I never even got to level 40 to start doing the stupid money grind to get a mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
They're still dropping content updates for EverQuest

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I got an email about a Final Fantasy XI update yesterday

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They're making a mobile version of FFXI, even

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wow i had no idea final fantasy xi was out before world of warcraft i thought it was newer than that

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Harrow posted:

Yeah, there's been some discussion on that in this thread already.

Peter Fries, another writer at ArenaNet, was also fired for defending her, which honestly is even more insane because none of his Tweets (which he deleted but, of course, people have screen shots of) were hostile, profane, or rude. I dunno if there's some ArenaNet policy of "literally never interact with players on your personal Twitter" or something but if there isn't then this is pretty nuts on ArenaNet's part.

There is probably more to it than just a twitter spat since they let go of a ten year company veteran. What seems like a rash decision to the public can be the build up of many internal confrontations and warnings.

A lot of stuff happens behind the scenes at a developer that we're not privy since it's in every party's interest to keep it in house. We don't see it unless there is a Marty O'Donnel vs Bungie or Leslie Benzies vs Take2 style legal battle with public documents and humiliating statements.

Cowcaster posted:

isn't guild wars 2 close to 10 years old at this point that's a long time to be playing the same game

Guild Wars 1 (the best one) came out in 2005.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I knew a grown man a few years ago who, flush with money from a well paying new job bought himself a top of the line gaming PC and only played Runescape on it. He'd been playing for years. We'd try to get him to play other stuff with us, and he'd always not show up or bail immediately to get back to it.

So, that is the kind of person who is been subbed to WoW for 14 years.

I play it a month or two a year now, just to enjoy expansion launches or see what they've done, but even that is shrinking because it's designed to be way too punishing for people who aren't playing constantly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

I'd played MMORPGs before WoW came out (mostly Nexus: Kingdom of the Winds which I was mega-addicted to for like two summers in high school, but also a little bit of EverQuest and a couple months of FFXI) and I remember WoW loving blew my mind when it came out. The idea of leveling through narrative solo questing instead of grouping with a bunch of people and grinding mobs in the corner of a map somewhere was crazy exciting to me. I couldn't really play it for a few months after it came out because my university's firewall made the latency nuts but eventually they fixed that, and even back then I got bored around level 30ish. I never even got to level 40 to start doing the stupid money grind to get a mount.

The real reason I like revisiting vanilla WoW is that I absorbed a photographic memory of all the most obscure out-of-the-way questlines and had perfectly planned leveling paths, all of which were thrown to the wind when Cataclysm turned the entire leveling curve into "go to this place, do three things, go to the next place, do three things, etc."

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Some guy got to level 1000 a few months ago in Tibia

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My first MMO was Nexus: Kingdom of the Winds, which is a 2D, top-down game by Nexon. I think it was Nexon's first MMO? It was one of the first graphical ones ever, even. I think I first played it in like 1999 but it had been out for like 3 years in Korea by that point. I didn't get super into it until 2002 or so when I got really into the roleplaying community in-game and played a ton. It has this never-ending leveling system where after you get to level 99, you can just start spending EXP directly on your stats and just never ever stop leveling. I didn't get too far into that, though. Kinda stopped EXP grinding once I hit 99.

But it was a relatively small world that was easy to move around because every class got a teleport spell, so fast travel was effortless.

A while later I got a really good PC for the time and tried out EverQuest for the first time and it was absolutely insane to me in comparison to Nexus. I couldn't believe how huge and detailed the world was and how long it took to run around (which made the world feel even huger). But my most vivid memory was when a friend of mine came over to check the game out and we made a throwaway character, then took a boat from one city to the other. The fact that you'd stay on the boat for the whole ride through the ocean was really exciting to me at the time. But the best part was when my friend decided to gently caress around and fell off the ship, stranding our throwaway dude in the ocean. So we just started to swim around for a while until we reached some random island where a bunch of ogre NPCs killed the poo poo out of us.

That said I never even got past like level 15 in EverQuest so as impressive as the size of the world was to me, it clearly wasn't actually a gripping experience to play :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think someone once calculated the actual landmass of WoW's two major continents and altogether it only ended up being around the size of Manhattan. Creating the illusion of a vast and open world is a worthier design goal than matching it to scale, since the real world is filled with tons of boring crap.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

wow i had no idea final fantasy xi was out before world of warcraft i thought it was newer than that

Yeah it came out in like 2002 I think, which is a couple of years earlier than WoW.

exquisite tea posted:

The real reason I like revisiting vanilla WoW is that I absorbed a photographic memory of all the most obscure out-of-the-way questlines and had perfectly planned leveling paths, all of which were thrown to the wind when Cataclysm turned the entire leveling curve into "go to this place, do three things, go to the next place, do three things, etc."

The whole level scaling thing they do now makes leveling even more different than it used to be. Now most of the base zones (the ones they revamped with Cataclysm) can scale all the way up to level 60 so you can kind of just do whatever zones you want to in whatever order you want to. Then you can do either Outland or Northrend from 60-80, either the new Cataclysm zones or Pandaria from 80-90, then it's on track with the expansions (Draenor from 90-100, Broken Isles from 100-110).

Personally I think they might as well just go all the way with it and make every zone scale from 1-100 or something after Battle for Azeroth comes out. Just let people do all their leveling in Pandaria or something, it really doesn't matter much anymore in the modern game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

those are either very large glasses or a very tiny anime

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

condolences

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Harrow posted:

Personally I think they might as well just go all the way with it and make every zone scale from 1-100 or something after Battle for Azeroth comes out. Just let people do all their leveling in Pandaria or something, it really doesn't matter much anymore in the modern game.

:yeah:

The scaling has been great for levelling alts, and I would love it if they went all the way and made everything open to everybody.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

condolences

don't worry i took that screenshot in like 2015 and never finished the game yet

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

true, it seems like you saw the best the game has to offer

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Samuringa posted:

Some guy got to level 1000 a few months ago in Tibia

they got a strongass leg

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Harrow posted:

I agree, but the other half of the issue imo is that leveling takes several times longer than it should, and the scaling changes didn't help.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Imo more developers should be like Hideki Kamiya on twitter and I respect the GW2 writer now.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Really WoW has changed enough that I'm not sure I really consider it the same game today that it was 14 years ago, which is partially why a bunch of people whose opinions I will never understand want WoW Classic to be a thing because modern WoW is a significantly more playable game

Also I need to stop thinking about WoW being 14 years old because it reminds me of my own age and therefore mortality

Yeah I don't understand why people long for the days of being pigeonholed into a certain role or poorly-designed loot. I sorta feel like the people who want it are longing for the days when having special-colored internet weapons made them feel cool and strong

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Skypie posted:

Yeah I don't understand why people long for the days of being pigeonholed into a certain role or poorly-designed loot. I sorta feel like the people who want it are longing for the days when having special-colored internet weapons made them feel cool and strong

Playing a Mage during the rolling ignite era was the single coolest time period of the game and I'm sad that nothing will ever be allowed to become so overpowered again.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'd bet cash money that more than anything people yearn for the era of their lives where time was so plentiful and meaningless that spending entire days of it watching numbers go up as you poked pigs in the rear end with a knife was as good a way to spend it as any

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Samuringa posted:

That's neat but sometimes I like to play with characters that don't look like me.

Howsabout this then

Also, god dammit DFO

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

those are definitely very tiny animes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i'd bet cash money that more than anything people yearn for the era of their lives where time was so plentiful and meaningless that spending entire days of it watching numbers go up as you poked pigs in the rear end with a knife was as good a way to spend it as any

When I die please bury me in my Leggings of the Festering Swarm.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've been meaning to go back to Guild Wars 1 since I never finished it and I had fun with the parts I played but also my character was built so poorly that I kept dying all the time even with the NPC party members carrying me and I don't know if I can easily redo my character at this point :( I got her a pretty dress and everything.

https://i.imgur.com/yToIXZ3.mp4

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah pretty much.

Sometimes I get nostalgic for the online games I played in high school and college, and a couple years ago I even tried to get back into one of them, but that poo poo just isn't compatible with life as an adult with a job and an offline social life.

Relax Or DIE posted:

I agree, but the other half of the issue imo is that leveling takes several times longer than it should, and the scaling changes didn't help.

I haven't actually leveled since the scaling changes went live so it sucks that leveling still takes forever. There's really no reason that it should anymore. Given the cross-realm zones and ready availability of level boosts, they might as well just be like: "Completing a zone's quests gets you 20-30 levels. All zones scale from 1-100 (110 after BfA comes out). Literally any zones will do. Do whichever ones you like for whatever reason you like them."

There isn't even really the whole "new players need to learn to play by gradually getting new abilities" excuse anymore because buying the latest expansion will always let you skip right to that expansion's starting level (another very good thing). Just make leveling a chill and painless process and be done with it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I've been meaning to go back to Guild Wars 1 since I never finished it and I had fun with the parts I played but also my character was built so poorly that I kept dying all the time even with the NPC party members carrying me and I don't know if I can easily redo my character at this point :( I got her a pretty dress and everything.

https://i.imgur.com/yToIXZ3.mp4

Guild Wars 1 was very good and I wish 2 was half as good.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Harrow posted:

I haven't actually leveled since the scaling changes went live so it sucks that leveling still takes forever. There's really no reason that it should anymore. Given the cross-realm zones and ready availability of level boosts, they might as well just be like: "Completing a zone's quests gets you 20-30 levels. All zones scale from 1-100 (110 after BfA comes out). Literally any zones will do. Do whichever ones you like for whatever reason you like them."

There isn't even really the whole "new players need to learn to play by gradually getting new abilities" excuse anymore because buying the latest expansion will always let you skip right to that expansion's starting level (another very good thing). Just make leveling a chill and painless process and be done with it.

This is Activision, they aren't going to make leveling super easy and chill when they can sell you an X level boost for $50 or whatever

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm waiting for PSO2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttm844Y48T0

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Something annoying about Guild Wars 2 is that they're apparently allergic to making medium armor that isn't long coats. Though they don't even really make any armor any more.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Harrow posted:

Yeah, there's been some discussion on that in this thread already.

Peter Fries, another writer at ArenaNet, was also fired for defending her, which honestly is even more insane because none of his Tweets (which he deleted but, of course, people have screen shots of) were hostile, profane, or rude. I dunno if there's some ArenaNet policy of "literally never interact with players on your personal Twitter" or something but if there isn't then this is pretty nuts on ArenaNet's part.

What riles me up is that those Reddit dirtbags can say this is all about ethics in... personal Twitter accounts... all they want, but it is a fact that there have been, and continue to be, a multitude of devs who are extremely rude and hostile to fans, and they will never get fired for doing that. They will never even get a talking-to for that. In many cases, it's just accepted as part of their personality.

So when someone says that Price deserved to be fired because she stepped out of line for being rude to someone on Twitter, or that she shouldn't have talked back to the guy, it becomes extremely obvious what they really mean.

If Anet really fired her (and Fries, which makes even less sense) for some other reason besides "We're scared of Reddit gamergating us" they need to say something because this is an extremely bad look

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the Tiny Anime Identifier has logged on

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My guild wars 1 character was a fighter/necromancer but I don't think that combo actually worked that well. She was very squishy and didn't put out much damage with her hammer attacks and her necro stuff required that she be good at killing stuff so she could use the corpses to power her skills. :(

I should log into Guild Wars, see if anybody's even on. Maybe if I found some people to play with I could actually complete the game's story and the optional sidequest stuff during the main missions.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr E posted:

Guild Wars 1 was very good and I wish 2 was half as good.

God yes. If nothing else I want back the freeform builds and lack of traditional stats that GW1 had.

One thing I loved about GW1 was that elite skills weren't "super-moves" like they are in GW2. Yeah, they were powerful, but they weren't generally things that were like big, impressive cooldowns. They were more often keystone skills that would enable you to use your other skills in a different way, or fit together a combo of skills to make a whole build possible. And that was really cool. Going out and hunting them down with capture signets was a cool idea, too.

chumbler posted:

Something annoying about Guild Wars 2 is that they're apparently allergic to making medium armor that isn't long coats. Though they don't even really make any armor any more.

Apparently this is all down to how they designed their system to rig armor onto character models. The medium armor that doesn't have a long coat? All of it has an invisible long coat tail because the models won't work without it.

Yeah.

Supposedly their system for rigging armor on character models is a nightmare to work with and that's why they rarely release new armor models. To me, that seems like the kind of thing you'd maybe discover while you're developing that armor rigging system and maybe try to address at some point but I guess not?

FirstAidKite posted:

If I remember correctly the only permanent character decision in GW1 is your initial profession. Everything else is really, really easy to swap around.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What riles me up is that those Reddit dirtbags can say this is all about ethics in... personal Twitter accounts... all they want, but it is a fact that there have been, and continue to be, a multitude of devs who are extremely rude and hostile to fans, and they will never get fired for doing that. They will never even get a talking-to for that. In many cases, it's just accepted as part of their personality.

So when someone says that Price deserved to be fired because she stepped out of line for being rude to someone on Twitter, or that she shouldn't have talked back to the guy, it becomes extremely obvious what they really mean.

If Anet really fired her (and Fries, which makes even less sense) for some other reason besides "We're scared of Reddit gamergating us" they need to say something because this is an extremely bad look

I really don't know. Like Sunning pointed out, maybe there was a bunch of other stuff going on and this was the last straw, but the company president's post definitely portrayed their firing as specifically related to the Twitter argument.

That said, I could also imagine it being a bad idea to be like "we fired these two for a lot of reasons and this was just the last straw" publicly, too. A forum post isn't the place to put a job performance review, y'know? Plus I'd imagine a forum post floating around out there, with your name attached to it (even if Mike O'Brien didn't mention their names in his own post), is already going to be pretty awful for future attempts at employment, and it'd be even worse if it also had vague references to previous issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn3q9YCKH-c

• Locked thread