Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Do you even know what a plethora is?

I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education. But could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to take it out on me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

LIKE WHAT JEFE

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

just noticed there’s a new public beta iOS update

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So is this new or have I just never noticed that they put the symbol next to the dude at the end?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think that's a bug related to how different colored emojis are defined

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I think that's a bug related to how different colored emojis are defined

Ah ok.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Good stuff, this fixed the GPS issues I was having.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

In for new and improved bugs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

12.0 PB1 was like slightly less reliable than 11.4 for me, with an occasional app crashing unexpectedly, but that's been the worst of it. Hoping PB2 remains similar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I put PB2 on my 6 earlier, first time on 12. Im gonna guess it’s 6S and upwards that has the more obvious performance increases as I’m not seeing a night and day difference. There’s a few things like Facebook messenger that give me nasty typing lags on 11, so I’ll see if those are gone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hell yeah, pb2 fixed my calendar lag and Books remembers my place in audiobooks now. 10/10 update.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Fuckin embarrassing.

I’m totally putting it on my 6S when I get back from vacation.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’m still blown away at how good battery life has been on PB1, hoping PB2 continues this

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Installed PB2. Doesn't really seem like a beta at all, feels very stable and overall a little faster. Battery life seems great, only perhaps slightly worse during games. There's a few design choices that I hope they tweak. Most importantly to me, a lot of stuff that was choppy to scroll through on iOS 11, such as the Apple Music menu, is now smooth.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I know I said I swore off betas after 11, but after hearing how much snappier/better battery life has been on 12, I decided to switch over.

It's REALLY FAST, gently caress

(This is on an X)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
11 was basically a beta the whole way through so it makes sense that 12 is better already.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

~Coxy posted:

11 was basically a beta the whole way through so it makes sense that 12 is better already.

I'm so glad 11 is gone. Getting better battery life on 12dev3 than I ever got on any version of 11.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iOS12 has been good and cool so far. I think people are really gonna like it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm gonna guess that one of the ways they've increased performance is down to how RAM is utilized, as my phones ability to hold app status in memory has definitely dropped since yesterday. On phones with decent RAM capacity it's probably not going to affect anything, but others on a 6 will probably see what I'm seeing. I'm not sure this is an upgrade for me right now, as save states were already not great.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I noticed less swapping with the 12 beta.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I tried to download the 12 PB but when it comes to downloading the profile, it does not give me an option to download it on my phone.

What can I do?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm gonna guess that one of the ways they've increased performance is down to how RAM is utilized, as my phones ability to hold app status in memory has definitely dropped since yesterday. On phones with decent RAM capacity it's probably not going to affect anything, but others on a 6 will probably see what I'm seeing. I'm not sure this is an upgrade for me right now, as save states were already not great.
It's a beta, so they're probably still getting the RAM usage dialed in. I don't imagine they would say they're improving performance if you have to wait for an app to load every time, even if it scrolls a little better once in it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's fair, I'm just sure their priorities aren't going to favor those of us with admittedly old hardware. The mere fact it's not an issue to install 12 and for the most parts even in a beta it still runs well is pretty crazy, and might push me back another year until an eventual upgrade.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I tried to download the 12 PB but when it comes to downloading the profile, it does not give me an option to download it on my phone.

What can I do?

You using safari

I forgot if that was a factor

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

You using safari

I forgot if that was a factor

Oh, I had it in chrome and did not even think about that.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Oh, I had it in chrome and did not even think about that.

Ah, yep, same mistake I made!

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
iPhone 7 (32GB), latest iOS version (11.4) and Windows 10 (10.0.17134 Build 17134).

How do I get my photos and videos from my phone to my PC? I'm sure it used to be fine through USB, but now there are around 15 photos showing up through Windows Explorer. I now installed iCloud for Windows, and checked on the iCloud website, and I can see my photos and videos. But a video I recorded that is supposedly 4k/30fps is only 720p when I download it though iCloud. I have 200GB of iCloud storage, so that shouldn't be an issue.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else on 12 public beta 2 feel like the home screen is a bit desaturated? I understand that they purposely desaturates the badge icons but the app icons themselves also look desaturated or less contrasted.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

iPhone 7 (32GB), latest iOS version (11.4) and Windows 10 (10.0.17134 Build 17134).

How do I get my photos and videos from my phone to my PC? I'm sure it used to be fine through USB, but now there are around 15 photos showing up through Windows Explorer. I now installed iCloud for Windows, and checked on the iCloud website, and I can see my photos and videos. But a video I recorded that is supposedly 4k/30fps is only 720p when I download it though iCloud. I have 200GB of iCloud storage, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Over USB, try clicking in that corner area to see if the phone shows up as a device (instead of looking through explorer):

If it shows up you should be able to right click and select Import Photos.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
What in Christ is this poo poo where I have lastpass generate a password, I copy it to clipboard, then when I go back to the app that needs the password and I hit "paste" it doesn't have anything to paste? Paste is an option, as if something's there, but it doesn't paste anything. I cannot for the life of me figure out how this is a helpful feature.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

jackpot posted:

What in Christ is this poo poo where I have lastpass generate a password, I copy it to clipboard, then when I go back to the app that needs the password and I hit "paste" it doesn't have anything to paste? Paste is an option, as if something's there, but it doesn't paste anything. I cannot for the life of me figure out how this is a helpful feature.

What iOS version?

I’ve been seeing some oddness pasting passwords into safari on 12 public beta 2.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

jackpot posted:

I know this doesn’t answer your question but I started having major password security issues when using lastpass. Their company is a joke and leaves a lot of huge glaring security holes in their software. You can get 1Password which is infinitely better for like 3USD a month.

If you haven’t had password break-ins, great. But I wouldn’t stay with them for too long.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

buglord posted:

You can get 1Password which is infinitely better for like 3USD a month.

Or get the standalone license. It's $50 right now for the Mac version. You can use Dropbox to sync a standalone vault. The license works on as many computers as you want. Before 1Password 7, the last paid upgrade was 5 years ago, so you will very likely break even. A monthly fee for a password manager is... annoying.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Lastpass is the horrid combination of most popular software and least secure from a design standpoint.
Use keepass, 1password or just use keychain.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
First public beta had an issue where Edison emails were displayed all wonky. Now I can read my HTML emails as well as Edison employees.

It does seem significantly faster on the X now. I didn't noticed a change with the first beta.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I only use the inbuilt password system, and seems they’ve made some good changes under the hood. Like they now identify sites that use the same password (either super old, or a temp one I’ve set then forgotten to change) and give a better prompt for setting your own password that it’ll then remember. Also Touch ID seems to be needed to validate too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I only use the inbuilt password system, and seems they’ve made some good changes under the hood. Like they now identify sites that use the same password (either super old, or a temp one I’ve set then forgotten to change) and give a better prompt for setting your own password that it’ll then remember. Also Touch ID seems to be needed to validate too.

I still use 1Password, but I agree that Apple Keychain has really come a long way.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Minidust posted:

Over USB, try clicking in that corner area to see if the phone shows up as a device (instead of looking through explorer):

If it shows up you should be able to right click and select Import Photos.

Thanks, but no-go. Well I was able to download full resolution files from iCloud through the desktop app now, but it seems incredibly backwards. To transfer them to the cloud then slowly download them from the cloud.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Good news guys, the ATT administrative fee won't go up anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Thanks, but no-go. Well I was able to download full resolution files from iCloud through the desktop app now, but it seems incredibly backwards. To transfer them to the cloud then slowly download them from the cloud.

You could also turn photo stream on in the windows iCloud app, that’ll download the 1000 most recent photos automagically.